Shinola Employee Reviews

change of managers unprofessional
Watch & Leather Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 30, 2017
working at Shinola was nice. Everyone came in thinking the space was an art gallery. At that time we went through a change of managers so certain employees were being trained for a permanent position but the new manager kicked them out. Very odd, not appropriate or professional.
Shinola is Great!
Sales Lead/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 25, 2017
Great place to work. A lot of customer service is involved so be ready to talk a lot!!! Company is learning a lot as well, so theres many things you have to figure out on your own.
Pros
Discount! Work/Life balance
Cons
New company so learning a lot. Corporate atmosphere.
Love working for Shinola
Industrial Sewing Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 25, 2017
Very strict in accepting doctor excuses, although exused you still get points. Their point scale start at 4 so they accumulate fast. After 14 points you get fired. Also Shinola is a (fire at will), you will sign paperwork on this on your first day. Despite of many things I love working here I had many great expiriences and has a great atmosphere.
Pros
Good pay, great coworkers, professionals
Cons
Point system
Innovative Company but with many flaws to be worked
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 21, 2017
The Shinola story is definitively a strong backbone of why I wanted to work for them. Through the companies focus fro Sales Associates I managed to hone my hospitality skills as well as familiarize my networking skills with neighboring companies
Pros
Amazing story behind every product
Cons
BOH was very inefficient and cumbersome.
Great work enviroment, terrible management.
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 14, 2017
While the company does provide us with a beautiful work space, great lunch room with ping pong tables and shuffleboards, and even gas cards for low income employees, I can't really say working there is great.
The pay is terrible. You're starting at 12 an hour, and if you manage to make it beyond the 90 day training period you're only brought up to 13 an hour. This is to assemble, sew, stitch, or build a variety of products that sell for literally thousands of dollars. You're also treated like a prisoner. You can't talk, you have to ask for permission to use the bathroom and people are fired for minor infractions at the drop of a hat.
I also have to complain about the management. They're more concerned with marketing and the company image than things like inventory and building maintenance. I've never worked with a company so disorganized and mismanaged.
Pros
nice work environment, great co-workers
Cons
very low pay, terrible management, high turnaround
Great retail workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 20, 2017
It can be very slow during the week but busy on weekends. They are very sales driven. Not commission based but opportunities for monthly bonuses. Lots of product knowledge is required. Very big on sharing the brand story with every customer that comes in. The management team as well as other associates are great. The other workers are probably the best part of the job. Hardest part of the job is meeting sales goals and knowing all the technical aspects of the products
Terrible/deceiving company! Don't bother!!
Wholesale Sales Ambassador (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 28, 2016
Shinola is a horrible company to work for. They portray themselves to look like a nice company to work with but, thats far from the truth. Management is very disorganized,dishonest and unprofessional all of them lack skills to be a leader. There is no open door policy or growth yet expectations are so high for little pay. Company still very young but has many bad issues their turnover in employees is huge.They already went under investigation from the FTC too because of complaints on their marketing and misleading consumers on where the actual watch is made just for financial gain. I wouldn't recommend anyone work from them. Shinola doesn't value or appreciate their employees!!!!
Pros
The one real and only cool co-worker I worked with. You know who you are!
Cons
Management is really unexperienced and really horrible so is the pay, environment is not welcoming, no potential for growth and company is dishonest
Awesome company :)
Artisian (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 18, 2016
Great place to work with fun & awesome employees. Working at Shinola on a a daily basis your favorite athlete or celebrity can be coming thur for a tour. I absolutely love getting up going to work in the morning
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Not yet any
Great Culture!
Representative (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 17, 2016
Shinola has been great to me. I have had the same treatment from management and co-workers since I started more than 6 months ago. Typical work hours which are good. Health benefits and retirement plans are competitive with other companies. Plenty of opportunity for advancement. So many different skill sets you can learn.

The atmosphere and culture is what I would say more "new age" for office/factory life than the old fashion office/factory feel. Very diverse as we have employees from all over the world. We get to learn about their culture as they get to learn about ours. There's a lot of interaction between factory and office employees. Open work spaces with cubicals and partitions instead of offices. Factories are structured and clean. There's an upbeat vibe there. I noticed that when I interviewed. Coworkers can play ping pong on their breaks, rent out bikes to go for a ride on lunch breaks. They even have scooters you can take a stroll around the office on!

Our employees have created a REACH team that supports the community. We participate in the greening of Detroit, support local schools with tutoring assistance, and adopt families during the holiday season.

Overall I have enjoyed my job and my coworkers at Shinola. I am proud to say that I am on the Shinola team.
Pros
Culture, Opportunities, Community involvement
Co workers were fun! But management takes advantage.
Key holder (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXDecember 11, 2015
Management is very disorganized, high expectations out of you but that management don't really meet themselves. Coworkers were great but management isn't necessarily leadership.
Pros
Coworkers could be great to work with.
Cons
Management doesn't have the correct training needed to be a leader. No open door policy.
Yuck!
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 10, 2015
Management is the worst! They try to make themselves look like something they aren't and are not at all nice or appreciative of work well done. The bad starts at the very top. High turnover!
Pros
Nice co workers except for managers
Cons
Horrible management. Cheap watches that cost $20 and sell for $500 plus
Management needs help
Former employee (Former Employee) –  DetroitJuly 7, 2015
Shinola doesn't care about their employees I would not recommend anyone work for them ! They put on a very good face but they are very unorganized in management
Shinola does not care about any of their employees!
Case-Back Closer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 21, 2013
Typical work day started with confusion.
I learned that upper management didn't care about those who worked for them.
Management was unsatisfactory!
My co-workers were the only good thing about the company.
Nothing was hard.