Shinola Employee Reviews

Great retail workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 20, 2017
It can be very slow during the week but busy on weekends. They are very sales driven. Not commission based but opportunities for monthly bonuses. Lots of product knowledge is required. Very big on sharing the brand story with every customer that comes in. The management team as well as other associates are great. The other workers are probably the best part of the job. Hardest part of the job is meeting sales goals and knowing all the technical aspects of the products
Terrible/deceiving company! Don't bother!!
Wholesale Sales Ambassador (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 28, 2016
Shinola is a horrible company to work for. They portray themselves to look like a nice company to work with but, thats far from the truth. Management is very disorganized,dishonest and unprofessional all of them lack skills to be a leader. There is no open door policy or growth yet expectations are so high for little pay. Company still very young but has many bad issues their turnover in employees is huge.They already went under investigation from the FTC too because of complaints on their marketing and misleading consumers on where the actual watch is made just for financial gain. I wouldn't recommend anyone work from them. Shinola doesn't value or appreciate their employees!!!!
Pros
The one real and only cool co-worker I worked with. You know who you are!
Cons
Management is really unexperienced and really horrible so is the pay, environment is not welcoming, no potential for growth and company is dishonest
Awesome company :)
Artisian (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 18, 2016
Great place to work with fun & awesome employees. Working at Shinola on a a daily basis your favorite athlete or celebrity can be coming thur for a tour. I absolutely love getting up going to work in the morning
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Not yet any
Great Culture!
Representative (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 17, 2016
Shinola has been great to me. I have had the same treatment from management and co-workers since I started more than 6 months ago. Typical work hours which are good. Health benefits and retirement plans are competitive with other companies. Plenty of opportunity for advancement. So many different skill sets you can learn.

The atmosphere and culture is what I would say more "new age" for office/factory life than the old fashion office/factory feel. Very diverse as we have employees from all over the world. We get to learn about their culture as they get to learn about ours. There's a lot of interaction between factory and office employees. Open work spaces with cubicals and partitions instead of offices. Factories are structured and clean. There's an upbeat vibe there. I noticed that when I interviewed. Coworkers can play ping pong on their breaks, rent out bikes to go for a ride on lunch breaks. They even have scooters you can take a stroll around the office on!

Our employees have created a REACH team that supports the community. We participate in the greening of Detroit, support local schools with tutoring assistance, and adopt families during the holiday season.

Overall I have enjoyed my job and my coworkers at Shinola. I am proud to say that I am on the Shinola team.
Pros
Culture, Opportunities, Community involvement
Co workers were fun! But management takes advantage.
Key holder (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXDecember 11, 2015
Management is very disorganized, high expectations out of you but that management don't really meet themselves. Coworkers were great but management isn't necessarily leadership.
Pros
Coworkers could be great to work with.
Cons
Management doesn't have the correct training needed to be a leader. No open door policy.
Yuck!
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 10, 2015
Management is the worst! They try to make themselves look like something they aren't and are not at all nice or appreciative of work well done. The bad starts at the very top. High turnover!
Pros
Nice co workers except for managers
Cons
Horrible management. Cheap watches that cost $20 and sell for $500 plus
Management needs help
Former employee (Former Employee) –  DetroitJuly 7, 2015
Shinola doesn't care about their employees I would not recommend anyone work for them ! They put on a very good face but they are very unorganized in management
If you're over 30, don't bother applying
n/a (Former Employee) –  n/aJune 15, 2015
I've interviewed on a couple different occasions with this company for positions I was well qualified for, as well as an acquaintance of mine, only to get the rejection form letter email. It seems they only hire young, hipster types that fit their highly cultivated brand image versus qualified, seasoned professionals with experience that can bring something to the table. Their marketing and news/magazine articles about hiring ex-auto factory workers and re-training them in watch-making makes for a feel good story and image! But past that, they only want young 20 something's as the face of their brand. Lest they forget it's the seasoned professional types who can actually afford to purchase their products. I guess all my retail experience, degree in fashion and being raised in Detroit didn't make me hip or Detroit enough to work for their under 30 company. It's a shame they value image over experience.
Very laid back environment, good people, possible advancement opportunities
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MichiganMarch 25, 2014
Answering phones
Answering questions about products and procedures
Responding to emails
placing orders online
Pros
casual dress code
Cons
have to sit at desk all day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shinola. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5