Shipt Employee Reviews

Great job if you like to be your own boss and work when you want
Shopper/Grocery Delivery (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 11, 2017
Working at Shipt is AWESOME!!! You can work when you want and how long you want. People that you delivery to are usually nice and happy to see you.
Pros
Work when you want
Cons
You never know what items you will be shopping for. Like a 100 pound bag of dog food.
turns a phone into a tether
Shopper (Former Employee) –  MichiganNovember 21, 2017
Increasing employees without having the customer base to support it is just stupid. One call in 2 days for a total of $14 left me underwhelmed.
People tip poorly because they are already being charged for their shopping / delivery experience, who can blame them ?

Maybe if the company put more into advertising their service and increasing its customer base it could give its employees a better work experience.

I managed one week, earned less than $80 and $40 in tips, drove approximately 300 miles and I've given up. I've never been so discouraged at a job opportunity in my life.
Pros
flexible
Cons
No benefits, 1099, low tips, wear and tear on car.
Perfect 2nd job
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 19, 2017
I love working for Shipt. The employees at the store I shop are so friendly and helpful. I get offers almost every single day. I’m averaging $25-$30 a shop right now. I’ve gotten huge tips on tiny orders and small tips on huge orders, and the rest are in-between. I hate shopping for myself, but love helping others.
Pros
Flexible schedule, nice extra money
Cons
None that I can think of, based on the job.
Flexible working schedule, fast paced industry
Grocery Shopper/Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Spring, TXNovember 14, 2017
Shipt is an Independent Contract type of job. Fast paced, can be stressful, rating based. Keep track of mileage and taxes owed. Sundays are very busy.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Wear and Tear on car, 1099/taxes
Do not do this job
Ambassador (Current Employee) –  MichiganNovember 13, 2017
As someone who has been with shopped since launch I’ve seen enough people come and go and it’s without warning or reason. You simply become a “deactivated driver”. They hire in surplus and fire in surplus and it’s very biased based on incorrect algorithms. You make an average of 8/shop before tip NOT including gas and wear and tear. Tips are not guaranteed. I do not recommend this job for anyone with actual bills.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
App freezes- poor communication- unfair wage
Overworked, underpaid, time consuming job with little pay.
Shopper (Former Employee) –  Greenville, MINovember 12, 2017
This job has you shopping long hours and then dlivering many unpaid miles to customers that are in appreciative of your efforts. Your patience is used up with crowded stores, crowded lines, traffic problems, texting customers, running around for additional items for customers, low pay, wear and tear on your car and finally no communication between Shipt and your performance. That is to say, they don't specifically tell you what you have done wrong or are doing wrong. The next thing you know you are deactivated , " fired" in other words. Finally, when you are "fired", there is a sigh of relief and you thank God and say , Why did I ever do this anyway.
Pros
You are in a store and can look at pretty women.
Cons
Low pay, crowds, gas use, traffic, taxes, wear and tear on car, inconsistent work weeks
Productive company for work
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  AlabamaOctober 30, 2017
Flexible schedule. Use the company's app via cellphone to communicate and shop at local grocery store for members and deliver to their requested address.
Pros
Flexibility & receive tip from customers
Cons
May drive longer distance to customer for less pay
Efficiently Challenged
Driver (Current Employee) –  IndianaOctober 30, 2017
This isn't a horrible experience. I found the app to have issues. It can be difficult to find some products or they don't have them at all.

I can't say it is hard to work for the company. My biggest issue, you aren't paid what you are worth. Typically you are looking at less than 10 an hour for the process.

I saw some claims in official company material that offered more than 15 to 25 an hour per assignment.

When you make, say, you do a $100 order, that' about $10.

That usually translates to at least 50 minutes in store and 10 to 30 minutes driving. That makes it 60 to 80 minutes.

*This doesn't count drive to the store and the costs of operating the vehicle per order.

I'd be more aggressive in signing up - if I knew I could make more.

There are things to do, to get better tips, but in general. I feel like this isn't a good investment of time.

They also don't emphasis proper house numbers or directions. I've had deliveries to locations that didn't have actual street addresses.

It's just a so-so experience. I think there are better, more creative, ways to make more for less effort using the same concept.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, fun
Cons
Actual effort to payment
Excellent flexibility & culture. Poor pay & job offer algorithm.
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 27, 2017
In my area, it is very difficult for the majority of ppl to make this work as a full time gig. You have to become comfortable with shopping 2 or more orders at once to make decent $$, hope your deliveries are relatively close, and that ppl tip. Not especially profitable if you live more than 10 miles from available stores. Like most delivery/serving jobs, your income is heavily dependent on gratuity, but people think that $5 on a $300 order when they live 20 minutes from the store is sufficient.

You can't beat the schedule flexibility, and most other shoppers are cool. Shipt does offer some nice weekend bonuses, if you're willing to jump thru a bunch of hoops and deliver 7-15 orders on time while dodging the crowds & dealing with rude/inept cashiers.
Pros
Schedule flexibility, decent part time income if you live close & deliver close & get good tips, be your own boss, great company culture.
Cons
Inadequate compensation, rude cashiers & customers, income depends heavily on tips, no additional compensation for delivering far from store, penalized for being late even when due to multiple order add-ons/substitutions and/or slow checkout, job offering algorithm will leave you without work/almost no work for days or even weeks, wear & tear on your vehicle: mileage writeoff is usually the majority of your income.
Easy job, but pay is not what it seems
Grocery Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Hillsborough County, FLOctober 19, 2017
I’ve been flexible in my scheduling, allowing myself to work in other areas, so that has been helpful when I’ve been able to do that. None of my customers seemed to have a complaint against me, but last night my rating dropped to a 4.8/5.0. I have a feeling that customers rate the shoppers based on their availability to find the products they want, which is understandable; however, when I walk into a store, the night before they are about to reset the weekly ad, stock levels are going to be low. I encountered two empty shelves of lunch meat that has been on sale, however none were in stock, and the customer wanted 6 packages in different varieties. How can I be held accountable for what the store doesn’t have? I made sure the customer’s fresh meat orders were perfect by having the meat department worker repackage some things, but that goes unnoticed. One day you’ll get 20 notifications, another day you’ll get 1. They’ll also send you notifications about other orders for that same delivery time when you are busy shopping one order for that time. Obviously, I can’t be in two places at once, but not accepting those orders counts against you, when it shouldn’t. Not every customer tips, which stinks. I had a huge order last week, and still haven’t received a tip on it. It was over 50 items. Half the time in the store is spent texting back and forth with the customer about substitutions for products, because the store is out of things. If I’m getting rated poorly because the store is out of something, it’s completely unfair. I can’t help that, and I always ask if there is backstock,  more... etc. There’s also a lot of wear and tear on your vehicle, so keep track of your mileage, gas and cell data plans (you can write those off, since you’re an independent contractor). This is a great gig for someone just wanting p/t work (students, Mom’s who want something to do while their kids are in school), but it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. There are parts that are great, and other parts that aren’t so great.  less
Pros
Pick your own hours, location
Cons
Not everyone tips, ordering system overlaps, lots of vehicle wear and tear.
just not for me
Shopper (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INOctober 16, 2017
I consider myself to be uber organized. I find it hard to believe you can average 20-25 dollars per hour. there are lots of moving pieces to this art of shopping for shipt. tasks that I thought it made the process cumbersome. my clients were pleased with the service and my response time. it wasn't a fit for me given how much time the process took for a shopping list of 15 pieces. good luck - I think this is a needed service!
Pros
flexibility - make your own schedule
Cons
distance from home to store to client
Fun and flexible!
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 11, 2017
Ive been working for Shipt for almost a year now. As with any contractor job its what you make of it. You have to be self driven. There are no benefits and you have to set aside money for taxes. If you are an efficient worker, the money is definitely there. Tips are a huge part of the pay so being customer service driven helps. The culture is outstanding, the kindness and support from other shoppers is so wonderful and headquarters is supportive of their shoppers. My only complaint is that our market has been become saturated. No matter how hard you work, new shoppers are top priority so you can expect on a regular basis that you will not be able to work. Theyve recently flooded our market with shoppers so work has become sparse. They tell you that shoppers ratings are a big role in how you get offers but with such a saturated market its difficult to get work with the best of ratings.
Pros
Flexibile hours, excellent community, fun, shopper milestones are celebrating, Emotionally rewarding, Great bonus opportunities, Free membership.
Cons
Unreliable, Saturated with shoppers so work is difficult at times, Unfair & vague rating system that dictates your place.
It is what you make it
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 9, 2017
This company is growing quickly. In two years they’ve expanded into lots of new markets, great service. Lots of happy customers. With any job, there’s occasionally a troublemaker. As shoppers, we do our best to get our customers what they’ve requested. But often, the store will be out of stock on an item. If the customer marks that items were missing on the order, your rating goes down. So many glitches in the app. Not very good pay. If you enjoy chatting on the phone with seniors, this is a good job for you. If you are great at texting and driving, do this job. You must stare at your phone if you are on their schedule. You are notified of jobs by an app. You have usually less than 1 minute to accept an order. If you don’t accept it, your rating goes down. When your rating goes down, you are offered less jobs, or are told to take a refresher course online.
Pros
Set your own schedule
Cons
High expectations, difficult to meet due to factors beyond your control
Great for extra income
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 18, 2017
I'm new to working with shipt but I do like the flexibility and also the fun of the shop. The only thing I can say that's not entirely great is the low pay on shops. Perfect example is scheduling is great and the offers are ok but the low pay is a down side. However if you find orders that are due soon the bonus incentives are fantastic. But I still fail to see how an order due soon like within 30-60 minutes pays really well but the customers order is just over twice what I was paid.
Example 49 dollar shop, my pay was 28. I just don't see how the average pay couldn't be around 20 an hour on normal shops to make those less stressful shops easier due to time constraints. I've done shops for 13 for an hour and found waiting to find a last minute paid more.
Other than that the only thing I think the company lacks is an instant payout or cash out option like other delivery or ride share services I work with.
No benefits as an independent contractor is to be expected. Just keep tabs on mileage and vehicle maintenance come tax time yearly.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Low pay, no instant payout option
Love this job!!
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNSeptember 17, 2017
I started working for Shipt last year and it may be my favorite job I've ever had. The flexibility is awesome and the management really does care about and encourage their workers.

Business and amount of orders per day can vary depending on where you live but you generally stay pretty busy in metros. I tend to average about $20 per order. I plan on working for Shipt for as long as I can!
Pros
great management, flexibility, fun job
Cons
mileage on car, orders not always guaranteed
October 13, 2017

We're happy we can provide you with the flexibility you need to make shopping work for you! Shipt does appreciate all of our shoppers and everything they do. Thanks for the feedback!

Great place
Shooper (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 17, 2017
They just started here in St Louis area and are so far a great place to work and seem to care about us shoppers. They even have shoppers that are from other cities to stay for a few days to help out with the shopping
October 13, 2017

Awesome feedback! We do appreciate our shoppers and all the hard work they do for Shipt!

Great Place
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLSeptember 9, 2017
Shipt is a great company to work for. They have you as an independent contract and you get to work as much or as little as you like. Fellow Shipt shoppers are very nice and helpful, Shipt HQ is usually available to assist. Hardest part of the job would be the lack of benefits.
Pros
Work for yourself
Cons
No benefits
October 13, 2017

We're so happy you're loving being a Shipt Shopper! While we don't offer traditional benefits, our shoppers do receive a free Shipt membership so they can take advantage of having their own groceries delivered. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback and for all you do for Shipt!

Fun Place to work
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 5, 2017
Overall, Shipt is a fun company to work for. You are an independent contractor, so you set your own schedule. The majority of the customers are those without the ability to shop for themselves, so it is very rewarding.
Pros
Set your own schedule
Cons
No benefits
September 6, 2017

Thanks for the feedback! We're happy to have you on the team and are even happier that you're loving it!

It's a great way to make cash in short order.
Grocery Delivery (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 29, 2017
Shipt is a great company for people looking to supplement their income. Although, if you are looking for advancement or a career, than look elsewhere. Shipt pays $5+a % of the order+ tips for each delivery, this is not per hour, it is per delivery. Which can work against you or for your favor. My advice is to take this as a side job while you look for something permanent and take either a ton of small deliveries or one very large one.
Pros
Your own schedule, no manager
Cons
Bad pay and no advancement
September 14, 2017

Awesome feedback! Most of our shoppers earn between $15 and $25 per hour. Obviously, with the size of orders, ability to shop quickly, and driving distance this can vary. We are always working to make sure that we are able to provide competitive pay to all shoppers.

Great company to work for!
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 28, 2017
Shipt shopping is a great job to have as a student. You can pick flexible hours, and you are not obligated to work a particular schedule. I loved working here!
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
not guaranteed to be able to work during the times you are available
September 6, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to leave us feedback! We're glad that you enjoyed the flexibility of being a Shipt Shopper!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shipt. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2