Shire Employee Reviews

Medical support specialist-LPN/RN beware
MSS- LPN (Former Employee) –  IdahoJune 3, 2017
For a job that is required to have a nurse on staff at all times, the lack of respect for your knowledge and credientials is awful! The job doesn't use any real nursing skills and you are treated as if you don't have any skills or knowledge. The job is completely different than any other nursing type job. Lots of down time, very small raises, cross training to other departments req'd but no extra compensation for that, negative work environment, no consideration for personal life and they expect the job to always come first.
Super long hiring process.
Pros
Good benefits and no nights or Sundays.
Cons
very depressing work environment and terrible management
Easy work , Great benefits and pay
Senior Supply Handler- Manufacturing Tech II (Former Employee) –  Round Lake, ILMay 31, 2017
I had a good experience there co-workers are great people. I really liked the fact that they respected my opinions on manufacturing improvements and attendance policy.
Review
DevOps Engineer (Former Employee) –  Wayne, PAMay 25, 2017
Such a massive environment to work, I was enjoyed the culture and support from my team. I got fabulous support from the Project Managers to finish the given task in time.
Great work, great opportunity to help change culture
Associate Director Talent Management HR CoE (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 23, 2017
Really liked Shire and my role in HR Talent helping support Sales Organization and building a talent framework and leadership development program. Plenty of budget and support for what I was developing and ultimately implemented. Some of my work still exists today.
Pros
Job freedom
Cons
No leadership at top
Currently a great place to work
Sr. Shift Mechanical Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Lexington, MAMay 13, 2017
So far it has been an exceptional place to work and has been a great starter job into the Biotech industry which I will never forget. The only downside that I have personally experienced is a lack of cross corrdination and communication ,but we have been growing incredibly fast so that is bound to happen.
N/a
Supervisor, Bioreactor and roller bottles (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 10, 2017
it was a challenge working for Shire. you worked incredibly long hours with constant schedule interruptions and changes. The people were great to work with but management was less than desirable.
Pros
people
Cons
managment
Saves Lives
Employee (Current Employee) –  IndianaMay 5, 2017
A company who is trying to save so many lives- inspiring. The purpose and the cause is great because it changes so many lives. A very green company making a difference.
Management is Horrible
Quality Control Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Social Circle, GAMay 3, 2017
I currently work under the BioLife/Shire, the management here is horrible, they wont allow you to transfer to better yourself, you never know if your going to have a job day to day, they barely talk to the employees unless something goes wrong, favorties are the only one's that advance here. My schedule changes daily and or weekly nothing is set in stone, you ask questions no one knows the answer.
Pros
Training
Cons
Management, Advancement
Good Company
Manufacturing Technician II (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 3, 2017
Good work culture, good benefits. Many changes after merging with another Biotech company. People encourage growth and promotion within the company...
Excellent place to work
Principal Scientist (Current Employee) –  Exton, PAApril 25, 2017
Excellent place to work. Though currently redefining the business due to a recent acquisition, there are still opportunites there. Will need to be willing to relocate depending on the job function.
Organized chaos is fun.
Executive Assistant to CIO (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAApril 21, 2017
What I've enjoyed about working at Shire is the confidence and autonomy given when tasked with requests. I've been fortunate to work with two dynamic managers while at Shire, unfortunately, with the merger between Baxalta and Shire, one has left and the other is leaving.

With my experience I have already learned that changes can happen at any time. Just this week, I was booking intricate travel to Asia and India, acquired the required Visa's, cars, letters of introduction, travel to sites, just to have it all cancelled this morning.

Scheduling a C-level executive is like being a chess master, and I enjoy controlling the board. Moving meetings around to get the most out of the executives day and not disrupting the flow.

The hardest part of my job is when my boss tells people that he has time to meet with them, and he doesn't. I haven't yet learned how to create time, but moving the chess pieces has become second nature.

I've enjoyed the compliments of my ability to get things done and in a timely manner. Having been doing this for a while, I have been able to see what is coming down the pipeline.

I work with cross-functional teams, other L1 and EXCO Admins with ease.

I really enjoy it at the end of the day, when I feel like I did pull a rabbit out of my hat. The key is always remain calm and in charge.

I'd really like to continue my journey.
Pros
Have learned a lot about the IT backbone of a Pharma Company
Cons
Not a lot of job security due to acquisition.
Lacking
Senior Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Social Circle, GAApril 11, 2017
Perform work orders for the day. Troubleshooting equipment. Attend trainings where provided.

I've learned how to integrate into a civilian work life. I've learned about a maintenance system not wholly different from the one I came from. There is definitely a lot more dependence on automation. I've worked with a lot of equipment or some variant of it that we have here, but I've also come to learn some new pieces such as agitators and filter presses. The systems are fairly simple compared to the ones I'm used to in a nuclear facility.

Our management is top heavy and disconnected and lacks accountability.

The culture is not too great right now. I believe management doesn't have a firm grasp on where they want us to go as a department. Most of our higher ups meet their metrics and deadlines, take their cut, and move on, thus leaving us with a plant that's half done. We're going to have many challenges going forward in the future because it wasn't organized and built correctly from the beginning.

The hardest part is ignoring the office politics.

The best part is knowing my family will be able to survive.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hr, Management, Accountability
Great benefits, no career longevity
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsApril 4, 2017
Shire is in a state of constant reorganization. The work is interesting but to much time is spent on determining if you will be retained in your role or not.
Cons
Constant Reorganization
Great work life balance, results driven
Sr. Information Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lexington, MAMarch 31, 2017
Workplace culture is nice, everyone is friendly. Benefits are top notch. Compensation is right up there with all the other big names in the industry. Executive management needs to be careful on the direction of the company and to make sure they by growing it too much they don't create a blob of disparate silo's within the general organization
Review
Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 30, 2017
Overall good company but has a lot of changes taking place, culture is very diverse and well oriented. Managed to a certain extent might entail no micro-management.
Worst place to work Manegement does not have a clue or care.
Maintenance Lead Man (Former Employee) –  RD Lake.ILMarch 17, 2017
I worked in the machine maintenance department.
I came over from Baxter after the company split and was treated badly. The management team was new and came from manufacturing. Never even tried to learn the process before making decisions.
Pros
OK Pay.
Cons
Bad manegers and a very uneducateded, uncareing HR department
Slow Workload
Validation Associate (Current Employee) –  Social Circle, GAMarch 10, 2017
Company is comparable to other large bio-tech companies. Individual manager was very hands off and volume of work was incredibly low. Majority of work was performed by contractors.
An OK place to work
Manufacturing Supervisor II (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAMarch 9, 2017
At Baxalta, expectations are high for lower level management professionals with out the promise of advancement. (Glendale Facility). Things may change under the ownership of Shire. I did not have enough interaction with Shire in order to provide a fair review of the company.
I was able to gain experience in the pharmaceutical industry and noted the risk averseness employed at this particular plant. Was able to improve my process knowledge of purification processes both with UF and chromatography. Work place culture was one of accountability that tended towards a "who did it" attitude. This contributed to an atmosphere of fear in many cases. I did my best to develop the trust and respect of my teams, and succeeded in creating a positive work environment on my shift.
Another positive was the companies tuition reimbursement program. I took advantage of an 80% reimbursement to complete my bachelors degree. I did not qualify for promotion at this plant with out a degree.
Pros
Weekend shifts were 3 12 hr shifts, provided good work life balance
Cons
High expectations with little reward
Not paid for your experience and knowledge
Warehouse Specialist (Current Employee) –  Social Circle, GAMarch 4, 2017
It is a better place to work than most. Your previous work experience and knowledge don't make a difference with pay. The worse part is getting paid the same as a person that doesn't even have knowledge of the job at hand. No corrective action done to employees who consistently don't perform their job duties or continuously make errors. Your work day is filled with plenty of work which makes the time go by quickly. They do look out for the people and making sure they take their required breaks, it is important to the company to have an employee's work/life balanced.
Pros
nice new building
Cons
bad pay, no growth opportunities
Job Environment
Sr. Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDFebruary 28, 2017
Working at Shire was a excellent experience. The benefits, the pay, and the life work balance was great. The employees were like a family. Management was pretty good accept a few that were overbearing. I liked working at Shire because they were close to home, cared about their employees and their families.
Pros
Excellent benefits and safe work environment
Cons
There were no cons until they decided to leave Baltimore and began laying off valuable employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shire. Our community is ready to answer.