Shoe Carnival Inc. Employee Reviews

Productive and fun work environment with spin the wheel
Sales Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXFebruary 7, 2016
Fun work place with games and fun coworkers. learned organization skills, inventory spread sheets, time management. Worked well with school schedule.
Pros
Breaks and lunches
Cons
Benifits- none
Shoe Carnival Work Life
Kids Department Lead (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILOctober 5, 2015
Overall working at Shoe Carnival is okay. You are hardly ever bored without much to do. There I always something to work on. The environment itself is great... at least in my experience. We all got along...managers and associates alike. The hardest part of the job is preparing your department for the coming season...its harder if your department is women's or kids. The second hardest thing is preparing for the new coming stock.... you have to make space which is hard when your limited in space and well the next step is bringing everything out...not that hard actually. There's always a way to keep moving up in the field.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Healthcare, PTO
Cons
Minimum wage, small raises, no bonus
Great Place To Work For
Sales Associate/ Department Lead (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 22, 2016
This was my first job and this job is where I fit in perfectly with my customer service skills. The environment was fun and carnival like for the customers. I learned how to do inventory, how to unload shipment, learned how to be a cashier, overall I learned how to lead a shoe department store. The management looked out for me and always took the time to show me how to do things correctly. They took me under their wing and that along with my hard work ethic propelled me to advancement within the company. The hardest part was truck day, lifting all the boxes and stocking them by sections. The most enjoyable part was the customer service part. I love to see people leave with a smile on their face. I enjoy speaking to different people and helping them find a solution to a problem.
Productive and fun coworkers. Fast paced environment
Women's Athletics Sales & Marketing Lead (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 11, 2016
A typical day involves planning for inventory, making sales, working the cash register, and training new employees and current employees on your tasks.
I learned patience, to have a strong confidence, and many retail oriented skills such as sales and cash work.
The coworkers are all fairly young as it is a high turnover job and the management has been there for a long time and worked their way up the system.
The hardest part of the job is staying positive and calm during hectic, busy times.
The most enjoyable part is meeting new people and having something of your own such as a department to be proud of.
Pros
Young, fun coworkers. Meeting lots of new people
Cons
Short breaks, working weekends, low wages
working with your schedule is fine, just care about employees!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJuly 11, 2016
Shoe Carnival is a simple job sometimes it's just the customers. Also it can be worse if you have bad management, who does not make the employees work or clean. Then managers would say don't do 50% off pink stickers (clearance) shoes & then when a customer says something they do it anyway & then other customers want the same deal. Shoe carnival should care more about employees the one where I worked felt liked they belittle us when it came down to customers or corporate.
Pros
They worked well with your schedule most of the time
Cons
Need to care about employees
Not the best place to work if you like to make money or get recognized for your performance and promoted
Manager (Current Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOJune 13, 2016
I worked there for four and a half years, and my ending pay as a manager was 13.00 an hour. They expect you to run a 1.5 million dollar in sales volume store on a poverty paycheck, with a depleted payroll. We were always understaffed...district management never once recognized how hard you work, or hinted at any kind of a promotion. Gave a lot of my blood sweat and tears to this company, was not treated like a manager who did. Very disappointing to see people who are not as qualified as you advance past you. 1 star rating.
Pros
Slow work days
Cons
Unnecessarily loud music, stingy pay, no advancement
Needs a change of management
N/A (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 13, 2016
As far as the environment its a great place to work at. Some of the customers are very sweet and kind and they become family over the years. The employees are all great. The downfall is the corporate office sets hours for all major holidays. Why should the employees work on all holidays especially Thanksgiving if your not. If you have yet to step inside a shoe carnival and see what goes on you shouldn't have much too say. Upper management is horrible. Ex. General Manager, Regional, District and corporate. The management team makes you not want to work there.
Pros
The fun environment.
Cons
Breaks, healthcare, management, working holidays
good days and bad days throughout work week
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IowaOctober 14, 2015
Shoe Carnival was a fair company to work for . The upper management made a lot of empty promises to string employees along and required long hours with not a lot of compensation.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long hours and no over-time pay
Fun retail job.
full-time sales lead (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOOctober 20, 2015
Shoe Carnival is a fun, friendly place to work. There is a balance of helping customers and maintaining the sales floor. The work is challenging at times, but rewarding. The weekends are centered on delivering excellent customer service, but there are extra duties during the weekdays.
Pros
paid vacation and benifits for full-time employees, flexible schedule
Cons
no public restroom
Productive and fun workplace
Cash Lead (Current Employee) –  1117 Geronimo Dr, El Paso, TXSeptember 23, 2016
Shoe Carnival is a great place to work at. The people are friendly and help you understand and learn a lot of things that will help not only do your job but other things in life. A typical day at work includes cleaning, maintaining the store's cleanliness, managing money and making sure all the registers come out balanced in the end. Helping out customers find shoes and making sure they leave happy. I've learned a lot about how to deal with all sorts of customers. Not only that but I have also learned the way registers work and how the company's software helps manage them. Management is great and go out of their way to make sure we understand what's going on and teach us plenty of new things. Co-workers are great and friendly. Hardest part of the job would be unloading truck. Since that requires a bit more physicality than the rest of the job but I am still able to get it done quick and efficiently.The most enjoyable part of the job would be helping people find what they need. Whether we have it or not, it's always great meeting new customers and hunting down the perfect shoe for them.
Pros
Free lunches (on occasions)
Cons
Not enough pay
Summary of Shoe Carnival
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 30, 2015
A typical day as a sales associate is constantly providing great customer service and helping customers to meet their needs. This may be helping a customer find a walking shoe or a dressy shoe for a night out or special event. You have to be able to provide customers with a variety of styles and colors, that may interest them. Also involves helping to keep the store clean and making displays presentable for customers to easily view all of our shoes. I have learned how to be quick on my feet to help customers and how to suggest shoes that the customer has not considered purchasing before. I also have learned how to deal with customer issues, to help better their shopping experience. The management team is more than helpful to teach you how to do your job properly and are always open to any questions you may have about your job. Everyone is always willing to help fulfill customer needs. My co-workers are also helpful, as everyone has no problem doing teamwork to get a particular task done. There is no co-worker that won't help you out if you're ever in a bind. The hardest part of my job is trying to find a shoe similar to what a customer wants, if it is not available. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to see new shoe trends come in and helping customers find stylish and affordable shoes, leading to them making a purchase.
Pros
25% employee discount off lowest marked price
Cons
low starting wage, no benefits for part-time employees
Great hours of work good money
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2015
The enjoyment of this job was see my customers come in and say ask can I help them with finding a different type of shoe or when I would get a raise for every 6 months of achieving honest and good work.My team members would also ask me y I would always be so happy my response because I love my job this is not a act.
Pros
FREE DENTAL FOR MY FAMILY, AND PAID HOLIDAYS
Cons
WHEN THE JOB CLOSED DOWN
Growing company with tons of opportunity
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INMarch 8, 2016
I have been with the company for about 3 years and it has continued to grow. They care a lot about promoting good people from within. If you're willing to put in the work and relocate, there is a spot for you in management. It's a fun environment and a different concept that sets it apart.
Pros
Concept, room for advancement, fun
Cons
Pay
Great perks.
Floor Supervisor, Robert Camacho (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 27, 2015
Great place to work serve and learn.Have a great opportunity to grow and relocate with the company.
At the present time no Available positions open in any other stores for general managers. but overall good place to work.
Pros
Great discounts and benefits.
Cons
short breaks.
Family Retailer That Lost It's Way
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2016
Management was asked to do way too much with no payroll to back it up. Was personally closing a mall store with a single associate on the floor per regional management direction, only to be asked why customer service suffered, known theft (shrink) skyrocketed, etc. The company has lost their identity in the push to drive margin, and now is simply copying DSW with less success. Higher-ups are surrounded by "yes-men" so any common sense criticisms from the field will never make it to the top. (At a meeting in 2013, when one person asked the CEO why we still didn't have the technology to print gift receipts, they said they didn't know it was an issue. Regional management had submitted that complaint multiple times over the years prior. That's one example.) Until the top wants to learn and not surround themselves with an echo chamber, the stock will continue to stagnate despite any tricks pulled on earnings reports to shareholders. Good place to stay a few years and get good at your job, but don't plan on making a career out of this place unless you like never growing above a general manager.
Pros
vacation, regional management
Cons
upper management, payroll, inventory issues, technology is 10 years behind
Shoe Carnival
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oswego, ILJune 7, 2016
This job is filled with busy work that does not make time go by any faster. Day in and day the job felt very monotonous which would make a five hour shift feel like an eternity. The pay was not worth it for how much shuffling around and sucking up you had to do. The hardest part of the job during Holiday season, because we were required to move entire isle's of shoes across the entire store.
Pros
Free lunch occasionally, Cool co-workers help
Cons
short breaks, a lot of busy work, boring shifts
Great People to work with
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 17, 2016
Shoe Carnival was a fun place to work. I didn't dread coming to work and I had fun working with my co workers. Store is under good management and the work isn't incredibly hard. The only con to my time at Shoe Carnival was they have a problem with pay roll. Pay roll was so bad at Shoe Carnival that it made doing daily tasks that shouldn't have taken long difficult because we were always short staffed.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Poor Payroll Management
Productive, fun place with work, where teamwork is of the utmost importance.
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 26, 2016
Shoe Carnival was an excellent place to work with all kinds of opportunities to advance. Management is professional offering excellent training and they helped me to learn a lot about the business in the short time I was there.My co-workers were wonderful, energetic and skilled professionals and easily the best part of my job was working with them!
Pros
atmosphere, co-workers, training
Cons
Retail hours, short breaks
Fun work environment
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 11, 2016
Shoe Carnival was a fun place to work for. I was able to move up extremely fast in the company. The management in the store I worked for was awesome and extremely motivating to all employees.
Pros
Fast paced, room for advancement
Cons
pay to low
Okay place to work
General Manager (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJune 28, 2016
It had opportunities but you had to be one of the boys to be paid equally and be considered for promotion. I enjoyed the work but it was made more difficult than necessary but disagreeing Regional and divisional. My store was caught in the middle.
Pros
Product selection was decent in Athletics
Cons
Product selection in all other departments, management, low wages for employees, ran on 3.5% payroll