Shoe Carnival Inc. Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
Cash Lead (Current Employee) –  1117 Geronimo Dr, El Paso, TXSeptember 23, 2016
Shoe Carnival is a great place to work at. The people are friendly and help you understand and learn a lot of things that will help not only do your job but other things in life. A typical day at work includes cleaning, maintaining the store's cleanliness, managing money and making sure all the registers come out balanced in the end. Helping out customers find shoes and making sure they leave happy. I've learned a lot about how to deal with all sorts of customers. Not only that but I have also learned the way registers work and how the company's software helps manage them. Management is great and go out of their way to make sure we understand what's going on and teach us plenty of new things. Co-workers are great and friendly. Hardest part of the job would be unloading truck. Since that requires a bit more physicality than the rest of the job but I am still able to get it done quick and efficiently.The most enjoyable part of the job would be helping people find what they need. Whether we have it or not, it's always great meeting new customers and hunting down the perfect shoe for them.
Pros
Free lunches (on occasions)
Cons
Not enough pay
Great group to work with
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Walker, MISeptember 20, 2016
Manage ladies department by ensuring inventory levels are maintained, the seasonal flow is being followed. Ensure all all visual marketing materials are up to date according to corporate standards.
Fast pace inviorement.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2016
This is very fast pace retail selling top quality name brands such as Nike, Puma and Rebook to name a few. Management works hard to make sales and provide customer service to maximize sales.
Pros
Training and Developement
Great place to work at
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXSeptember 14, 2016
I love the fact that you're able to seek out community sports teams and sponsor them such as little league teams or bowling league teams. I love the working environment and the structure.
Pros
As a manager you're able to change the retail price as long it doesn't compromise the margin.
Cons
Was looking forward to relocation but never happened.
Productive and fun work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXAugust 30, 2016
Provide customers service by assisting with shoes stock and display merchandise and cashier work excute sales or other financial transactions
for me a good start at a owrk history
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLAugust 29, 2016
atmosphere was nice, started at a brand new store, co-workers were lovely, management was ok, supervisors were fair and nice. hard work, but with team worker it was overall a nice job.
Fun and great work environment
Department Head (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALAugust 24, 2016
This job is perfect for high school or college students. Great stepping stone job or for basic skills learning. Employees are energetic, managers are caring, and corporate enjoys hearing about their employees. The team cares about each other and enjoys going to work each day.
Pros
great work environment
benefits
Overall great company with small issues
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYAugust 21, 2016
Shoe carnival is a great company to work for. Being in management takes a lot of time away of family. Moving up is very difficult as there is limited spots in the area. With being settled in elizabethtown it is very hard to move hundreds of miles away.
We had a basketball game in our store
Cash Lead/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Christiansburg, VAAugust 17, 2016
Great place to work. Be sure you come to work with some patience if its a busy day and they have the microphone going. You'll need to be able to focus on what they are saying along with the customers you work with.
Good Place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYAugust 11, 2016
I loved working at shoe carnival. It was just not the place for me at that point of time in my life. I would recommend that job for anyone who just needs a part-time job.
Pros
The people were great.
Cons
The customers were even greater.

Want to know more about Shoe Carnival Inc.?

Ask a question
Productive and fun coworkers. Fast paced environment
Women's Athletics Sales & Marketing Lead (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 11, 2016
A typical day involves planning for inventory, making sales, working the cash register, and training new employees and current employees on your tasks.
I learned patience, to have a strong confidence, and many retail oriented skills such as sales and cash work.
The coworkers are all fairly young as it is a high turnover job and the management has been there for a long time and worked their way up the system.
The hardest part of the job is staying positive and calm during hectic, busy times.
The most enjoyable part is meeting new people and having something of your own such as a department to be proud of.
Pros
Young, fun coworkers. Meeting lots of new people
Cons
Short breaks, working weekends, low wages
okay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 3, 2016
the managers aren't very fair with how they treat their customers and the reward card system is also unfair. since it is a huge deal when it comes to keeping your job or not
Very fun, relaxed place to work.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCJuly 25, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Shoe Carnival. A typical day at SC would go something like this. I would open the store, read my emails, print off any important documents, count tills, take deposit to the bank. By then my cashier would have arrived to work and we would open for business. Depending on the day we would either make holes for the new shipment, scan the store for a sign change, pull transfers, or run aisles down. Shoe Carnivals main focus was customer service so that was our main focus as well. We ran the mic (specials on shoes etc, etc) Working at SC has taught me to be confident in myself as a manager and as a person. I've learned so much about networking and helping get our name out there. (I helped open the store) Our managers are the best around. Very understanding and easy to get along with. If any problems did arise they were handled with professionalism and courtesy for all parties involved. I loved all my co-workers and still keep in contact with them. The hardest part about SC would have to be keeping our sales up. It was a small town and corporate projected we would be doing better then we actually were. We did finally make it to a million dollars this past year!!!! The most enjoyable part of my job was that SC really is a great company to work for. Its a fun very laid back place to work. I loved my customers and employees and co-workers.
Pros
Relaxed work enviroment 45 min lunch breaks for managers
Cons
Pay could have been better
Shoe Carnival
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJuly 17, 2016
A very easy going job but when it got busy they definitely had you working, A normal day at shoe carnival consists of helping your costumers and making sure they are satisfied , and as well as stocking and re stoking the sneakers.
Semi productive and good experience with good coworkers
Shoe Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 15, 2016
I would've love the job more if I got paid more and got more hours. The days are usually dead but working with funny good people make the day better. We had 4 mangers and I loved all but one.
Pros
Great coworkers, semi nice management
Cons
No hours, low pay
Family Retailer That Lost It's Way
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2016
Management was asked to do way too much with no payroll to back it up. Was personally closing a mall store with a single associate on the floor per regional management direction, only to be asked why customer service suffered, known theft (shrink) skyrocketed, etc. The company has lost their identity in the push to drive margin, and now is simply copying DSW with less success. Higher-ups are surrounded by "yes-men" so any common sense criticisms from the field will never make it to the top. (At a meeting in 2013, when one person asked the CEO why we still didn't have the technology to print gift receipts, they said they didn't know it was an issue. Regional management had submitted that complaint multiple times over the years prior. That's one example.) Until the top wants to learn and not surround themselves with an echo chamber, the stock will continue to stagnate despite any tricks pulled on earnings reports to shareholders. Good place to stay a few years and get good at your job, but don't plan on making a career out of this place unless you like never growing above a general manager.
Pros
vacation, regional management
Cons
upper management, payroll, inventory issues, technology is 10 years behind
Sales person (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIJuly 11, 2016
Stocking, cleaning, organizing and selling shoes was a typical work day. Management could have been a little bit more hands-on.
working with your schedule is fine, just care about employees!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJuly 11, 2016
Shoe Carnival is a simple job sometimes it's just the customers. Also it can be worse if you have bad management, who does not make the employees work or clean. Then managers would say don't do 50% off pink stickers (clearance) shoes & then when a customer says something they do it anyway & then other customers want the same deal. Shoe carnival should care more about employees the one where I worked felt liked they belittle us when it came down to customers or corporate.
Pros
They worked well with your schedule most of the time
Cons
Need to care about employees
Easy-going work enviornment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GAJuly 10, 2016
I learned what is to be expected from supervisors. On a typical day at work, the employee is expected to refrain from using mobile devices and to always check to see if anything needs to be taken care of such as: cleaning and re-shelving shoes. I am appreciative to have worked there.
Store crew is like family
Mic Man, Manager (Former Employee) –  Conyers, GAJuly 5, 2016
Although Corporate is kinda of off, the Store management teams are great. The atmosphere is family based and excellent. The staff is like family and care about one another.
Pros
family like co-workers
Cons
pay and benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shoe Carnival Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.