Shoe Carnival Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Okay place to work
General Manager (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJune 28, 2016
It had opportunities but you had to be one of the boys to be paid equally and be considered for promotion. I enjoyed the work but it was made more difficult than necessary but disagreeing Regional and divisional. My store was caught in the middle.
Pros
Product selection was decent in Athletics
Cons
Product selection in all other departments, management, low wages for employees, ran on 3.5% payroll
job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJune 23, 2016
This place wasn't bad liked most of the people I worked with, then on the other hand there were others who thought they knew everything and then some. The job wasn't to stressful, the drive just sucked.
Great People to work with
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 17, 2016
Shoe Carnival was a fun place to work. I didn't dread coming to work and I had fun working with my co workers. Store is under good management and the work isn't incredibly hard. The only con to my time at Shoe Carnival was they have a problem with pay roll. Pay roll was so bad at Shoe Carnival that it made doing daily tasks that shouldn't have taken long difficult because we were always short staffed.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Poor Payroll Management
Not the best place to work if you like to make money or get recognized for your performance and promoted
Manager (Current Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOJune 13, 2016
I worked there for four and a half years, and my ending pay as a manager was 13.00 an hour. They expect you to run a 1.5 million dollar in sales volume store on a poverty paycheck, with a depleted payroll. We were always understaffed...district management never once recognized how hard you work, or hinted at any kind of a promotion. Gave a lot of my blood sweat and tears to this company, was not treated like a manager who did. Very disappointing to see people who are not as qualified as you advance past you. 1 star rating.
Pros
Slow work days
Cons
Unnecessarily loud music, stingy pay, no advancement
Needs a change of management
N/A (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 13, 2016
As far as the environment its a great place to work at. Some of the customers are very sweet and kind and they become family over the years. The employees are all great. The downfall is the corporate office sets hours for all major holidays. Why should the employees work on all holidays especially Thanksgiving if your not. If you have yet to step inside a shoe carnival and see what goes on you shouldn't have much too say. Upper management is horrible. Ex. General Manager, Regional, District and corporate. The management team makes you not want to work there.
Pros
The fun environment.
Cons
Breaks, healthcare, management, working holidays
Easy but not paid well
Cashier and sale associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 7, 2016
Easy job for starters, management can be chaotic
Small work environment
Nice and young co workers
Small number of people in a shift on busy days
Shoe Carnival
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oswego, ILJune 7, 2016
This job is filled with busy work that does not make time go by any faster. Day in and day the job felt very monotonous which would make a five hour shift feel like an eternity. The pay was not worth it for how much shuffling around and sucking up you had to do. The hardest part of the job during Holiday season, because we were required to move entire isle's of shoes across the entire store.
Pros
Free lunch occasionally, Cool co-workers help
Cons
short breaks, a lot of busy work, boring shifts
Great temporary job.
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 6, 2016
Its a good place to work at, but its not long term. its great for teenagers looking for a part time job for extra money but you can't live off of the pay.
Fun workplace during back to school
Sales Associate & Cash Lead (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXMay 26, 2016
Good job for a High school student, they work with your schedule and give you the hours you want. This a great first job for individuals entering the workforce
Productive, fun place with work, where teamwork is of the utmost importance.
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 26, 2016
Shoe Carnival was an excellent place to work with all kinds of opportunities to advance. Management is professional offering excellent training and they helped me to learn a lot about the business in the short time I was there.My co-workers were wonderful, energetic and skilled professionals and easily the best part of my job was working with them!
Pros
atmosphere, co-workers, training
Cons
Retail hours, short breaks
First Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILMay 25, 2016
This was the first job I've ever held. I got my foot in the door in terms of the employment industry and got a feel for how it was to be in high school and working a part time job at once. I've also learned a lot about customer service and how to deal with a variety of people.
Pros
First job
Cons
Got in the way of school which is why I had to quit.
Busy retail establisment with constantly changing fashion
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 7, 2016
Typical days consist of (amongst other things) responding to corporate correspondence. Getting a game plan for the day and getting everyone on the same page of said game plan. Providing great customer service while maintaining a profitable margin and driving sales using the microphone.
Enjoyable work enviorment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Schererville, INMay 7, 2016
Working at Shoe Carnival made my customer service skills even stronger. I enjoy dealing with the customers and guiding and teaching the new employees on their job ethics. When I leave for the day and I know I worked hard and did my job well, that is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Medium to Fast Paced Work Environment
Store Manger (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 4, 2016
A typical day as a manager at Shoe Carnival consists of checking voicemail fro our regional manager, looking over sales reports, managing payroll, and compiling a list of tasks for the crew for the day. I learned how to operate an RF scanner, run payroll reports, job recruitment and interviewing skills, read a P&L report, and inventory management. When I was first hired I started out as a sales associate, to sales lead, to floor supervisor, to store manager. I have many managers during my tenure and they all were fair but firm. They were willing to compromise with the scehduling as far as me attending school. My co-workers could be described as a revolving door. Many of my co-workers haven't been there more than a year and a half with me being the most tenured worker there after my boss. My co-workers are easy to work with and when I became a manager they follow my guidance and leadership well and with respect. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the downtime of retail. When it isn't a holiday or a coupon in the ad business can be really slow and it can get boring after a while. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction I get from helping a customer and them being satisfied with their purchase. It's always cool to have customer come back and ask for my help because they were satisfied with my service the last time they were in the store.
Overall Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Evergreen Park, ILApril 26, 2016
The position helped further my public relations. Really enjoyed and was successful at selling shoes and products during my time at the establishment. Averaged about 5 sales a day. This job wasn't really considerate of my personal obligations as far as my religion and school hours but overall it was beneficial.
Retail Experience
Cashier/Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia,PAApril 20, 2016
The experience was great I had never worked in a retail store before. I wouldn't mind working in that type of field again.
fun work place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 18, 2016
I love working at shoe carnival. The managers are friendly and very nice to me. We all get along and I Know all of my co-workers very well.
Active work environment
Lead Salesman (Former Employee) –  Bryant, ARApril 14, 2016
Great customer service was our main goal. I learned how to understand people better and become more patient with others. If you love organizing thing like me this is the job for you.
review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 12, 2016
it was fun working here because I really liked the people I worked with. The people in charge of me were very nice and loving
Fun place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMarch 23, 2016
Great place to work, loved helping the customers find the shoes they really wanted, I enjoyed working with outside people, also enjoyed being on my feet!
Pros
long lunches
Cons
short breaks