Shoe Carnival Inc. Employee Reviews

Working with shoes all day.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GASeptember 21, 2017
My experience working at shoe carnival wasn't too flattering. The staff was really unprofessional, and everybody knew everyone's business. The employees didn't respect management.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Unprofessional workers
Fun, but overwhelming
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSSeptember 18, 2017
There was just a lot going on within the store.. there were people who did always want to do their jobs, so there was always slack to pick up.. but still fun..
My thoughts
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 17, 2017
I've been with the company for a while but things have changed. You don't get promoted even if you been there for a while. The pay is t great either. If your full time u can get more benefits like pto
Cons
Not enough pay and not enough advancement within the company
Work experience
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Monroe, LASeptember 16, 2017
In the beginning shoe carnival provided an excellent work environment with full time work weeks. But over time the hours have dropped with insufficient staffing throughout the work week.
Pros
Discounts on merchandise
Cons
Insufficient staffing
In house is fine.
GENERAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  La and msSeptember 15, 2017
Too much stress from upper level. So many payroll cuts. However work still has to be completed 100%. They have high standards, but continually reducing payroll each year.
Not for everyone
Associate (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDSeptember 14, 2017
I like the fact that we have a discount. Also the fact that the lunch breaks aren't bad. Only thing I didn't like about it was the clicks in the store. An how none of the management was on the same page. An the GM is clueless as to what is going on in the store. The hours are ok when you have open availability and kiss butt.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Managemant
Sometimes Good, Sometimes Bad
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDSeptember 9, 2017
Working for Shoe Carnival was a crazy experience. When I first started working there I was still taking college courses, and they worked around my schedule so well (but I think that was a credit to our store's scheduler, not corporate). I started as an associate and eventually moved up to Assistant Store Manager. So advancement isn't too difficult if you put in the effort. However, my pay as a manager was atrocious. I was also told when I became full time I would get as much overtime as I wanted, but then corporate would reprimand me for taking advantage of that offer. Communication between Corporate and our District Manager was constantly opposing each other. In the end we'd get in trouble for something he specifically told us to do. We had a ridiculously high turnover rate for associates at our store, due to multiple reasons. However I loved the people I worked with and am grateful for the time I got to spend with them. In the end I think Shoe Carnival is a decent temporary job, but I would not recommend long term employment with this company.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Good PTO
Cons
Bad pay, Miscommunication between Management and Corporate
Family focused
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INSeptember 7, 2017
I would recommend working here. Job advancement occurs on a regular bases. Lots of seasoned employees. customer service driven. Family oriented organization
Excellent company to gain experience and grow with
FLOOR SUPERVISOR, DEPT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Rockford Il : Dubuque IA : Madison WISeptember 6, 2017
Shoe Carnival, in my experience, has a phenomenal track record with caring for its employees, and advancing from within the company.

They give fair pay for good work, and reward those who excel in their duties. Fast paced and interesting, working at a Shoe Carnival store will never leave you bored.

Management is open and understanding; They give opportunities to those who want them, you may get the chance to learn and work with inventory management, customer service, loss prevention, account management, direct sales, accounts receivable, budgeting, hiring and interviewing, marketing, team building, business communication, and employee training to name just a few. These skills can help you find employment in the future, should you ever choose to move on, if you don't however, Shoe Carnival is an expanding company, that has a long history of recognizing drive, ambition, and ability, and is all too happy to keep their employees satiated and upwardly mobile.

I count my time working with Shoe Carnival at several of their locations as some of the most enjoyable working years of my life. The connections and friendships, along with the knowledge and abilities I accrued there I will cherish for a lifetime.
Pros
Flexible hours, upward mobility, competitive pay, good healthcare, excellent management, fast paced
Very slow-paced, low pay
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 5, 2017
A typical day at work would include ringing customers up, signing them up for the rewards program, and helping them with any questions. There are also ship-from-store orders to take care of in the morning as well as placing online orders if an item is out of stock. The management at my store is very laid back but also responsible, willing to help in any way, understanding, and flexible with the needs of the associates. However, it is usually VERY slow in our store, and the pay is only 25 cents above minimum wage.
Pros
laid back, discount on shoes
Cons
low pay/underpaid, long hours, no commission
Great place for a starter job.
Department Lead / Mic Person (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARAugust 31, 2017
The Company caters to High School job searching, if you want to advance to a management role you would have to be at least be of age 21 for starters which is a major drawback for young folks who are ready to continue development of their skills.
Shoe store with spinny wheel
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOAugust 30, 2017
I just did everything for Shoe Carnival in the last review so I'm not sure why it wants me to do it all over again. But like I said, if I wasn't ringing someone up, I was keeping myself busy by cleaning, wallpapering, and/or helping customers or other employees. The register wasn't hard to get used to but it was the only thing that took me a while (a week) to get used to.
very productive job and a good place to start
Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Evansville, inAugust 29, 2017
The job was a quick paced job. Good people to work with. Good management staff. Good discounts. Needed to raise hourly rates. Too far out. Needed better benefits for fulltime employees
Not too horrible
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAAugust 28, 2017
Great benefits, low pay even for management, place is filled to the brim with stress, poor management team, no one higher up listens to managements concerns. Now it can be a fun place to work, sometimes hard to get associates to listen to management. 25% discount. FT positions get benefits after 90 days.
Pros
Discounts, fun place to worm
Cons
Long shifts, stressful for managers
productive work environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 28, 2017
A typical work day at Shoe Carnival consisted of wallpapering shoe boxes, making sure the shoe boxes were all straight and orderly like wallpaper, and helping customers find shoes for every occasion. It was my first job so I learned how to service customers in a safe and friendly environment. The management team had high expectations that were not unreasonable nor unrealistic, they really pushed you to do your best and to teach you in a low-pressure environment. Customers vary on location, but overall we mainly had large families shopping for every occasion. The hardest part of the job was learning how to put the shoes in the correct order, or snaking, but the most enjoyable part was having customers come back and ask specifically to work with me.
Pros
safe and secure work/learning environment
Cons
short breaks, no benefits
Relaxed environment with friendly co-workers
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLAugust 27, 2017
If you are looking for a relaxing environment for your first job then this is the place for you. Management works well with students schedules and will provide you with the hours you need.
Very Energetic and Fast Paced
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTAugust 26, 2017
Great work environment and management, unfair advancement opportunity and very unreliable hours, great customer service experience and a great entry level position
Pros
breaks
Great Company
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDAugust 23, 2017
A great place to work and company to work for. The company wants all their employees to succeed. If your looking to work for a company and move up quick with all the necessary training shoe carnival is for you.
Like any retail job, it is not pleasant.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAAugust 22, 2017
The only good part of this job was the coworkers, and even some of them were not the greatest. If you have unpleasant coworkers, it is going to be torture. Working with teenagers is the biggest pain in the neck that I have ever experienced.
Pros
Discount on most shoes
Cons
Legitimately everything else
I loved working here
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAAugust 17, 2017
This was overall the best job that I have ever had. I regret leaving this place. Management doesn't look down on you, and doesn't treat you as if you are lower then them. It's fun friendly and fast paced.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shoe Carnival Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval