Shoe Carnival Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Very fun, relaxed place to work.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCJuly 25, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Shoe Carnival. A typical day at SC would go something like this. I would open the store, read my emails, print off any important documents, count tills, take deposit to the bank. By then my cashier would have arrived to work and we would open for business. Depending on the day we would either make holes for the new shipment, scan the store for a sign change, pull transfers, or run aisles down. Shoe Carnivals main focus was customer service so that was our main focus as well. We ran the mic (specials on shoes etc, etc) Working at SC has taught me to be confident in myself as a manager and as a person. I've learned so much about networking and helping get our name out there. (I helped open the store) Our managers are the best around. Very understanding and easy to get along with. If any problems did arise they were handled with professionalism and courtesy for all parties involved. I loved all my co-workers and still keep in contact with them. The hardest part about SC would have to be keeping our sales up. It was a small town and corporate projected we would be doing better then we actually were. We did finally make it to a million dollars this past year!!!! The most enjoyable part of my job was that SC really is a great company to work for. Its a fun very laid back place to work. I loved my customers and employees and co-workers.
Pros
Relaxed work enviroment 45 min lunch breaks for managers
Cons
Pay could have been better
Shoe Carnival
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJuly 17, 2016
A very easy going job but when it got busy they definitely had you working, A normal day at shoe carnival consists of helping your costumers and making sure they are satisfied , and as well as stocking and re stoking the sneakers.
Semi productive and good experience with good coworkers
Shoe Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 15, 2016
I would've love the job more if I got paid more and got more hours. The days are usually dead but working with funny good people make the day better. We had 4 mangers and I loved all but one.
Pros
Great coworkers, semi nice management
Cons
No hours, low pay
Family Retailer That Lost It's Way
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2016
Management was asked to do way too much with no payroll to back it up. Was personally closing a mall store with a single associate on the floor per regional management direction, only to be asked why customer service suffered, known theft (shrink) skyrocketed, etc. The company has lost their identity in the push to drive margin, and now is simply copying DSW with less success. Higher-ups are surrounded by "yes-men" so any common sense criticisms from the field will never make it to the top. (At a meeting in 2013, when one person asked the CEO why we still didn't have the technology to print gift receipts, they said they didn't know it was an issue. Regional management had submitted that complaint multiple times over the years prior. That's one example.) Until the top wants to learn and not surround themselves with an echo chamber, the stock will continue to stagnate despite any tricks pulled on earnings reports to shareholders. Good place to stay a few years and get good at your job, but don't plan on making a career out of this place unless you like never growing above a general manager.
Pros
vacation, regional management
Cons
upper management, payroll, inventory issues, technology is 10 years behind
Sales person (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIJuly 11, 2016
Stocking, cleaning, organizing and selling shoes was a typical work day. Management could have been a little bit more hands-on.
working with your schedule is fine, just care about employees!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJuly 11, 2016
Shoe Carnival is a simple job sometimes it's just the customers. Also it can be worse if you have bad management, who does not make the employees work or clean. Then managers would say don't do 50% off pink stickers (clearance) shoes & then when a customer says something they do it anyway & then other customers want the same deal. Shoe carnival should care more about employees the one where I worked felt liked they belittle us when it came down to customers or corporate.
Pros
They worked well with your schedule most of the time
Cons
Need to care about employees
Easy-going work enviornment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GAJuly 10, 2016
I learned what is to be expected from supervisors. On a typical day at work, the employee is expected to refrain from using mobile devices and to always check to see if anything needs to be taken care of such as: cleaning and re-shelving shoes. I am appreciative to have worked there.
Store crew is like family
Mic Man, Manager (Former Employee) –  Conyers, GAJuly 5, 2016
Although Corporate is kinda of off, the Store management teams are great. The atmosphere is family based and excellent. The staff is like family and care about one another.
Pros
family like co-workers
Cons
pay and benefits
Productive workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 1, 2016
It is always nice to go into work. It is never too hard. Of course some customers can be a little rude but when are they not. But I learned a lot here, mostly about the product and team work and how hard work can get you rewards. The co-workers were always nice and friendly.
Okay place to work
General Manager (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJune 28, 2016
It had opportunities but you had to be one of the boys to be paid equally and be considered for promotion. I enjoyed the work but it was made more difficult than necessary but disagreeing Regional and divisional. My store was caught in the middle.
Pros
Product selection was decent in Athletics
Cons
Product selection in all other departments, management, low wages for employees, ran on 3.5% payroll
job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJune 23, 2016
This place wasn't bad liked most of the people I worked with, then on the other hand there were others who thought they knew everything and then some. The job wasn't to stressful, the drive just sucked.
Great People to work with
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 17, 2016
Shoe Carnival was a fun place to work. I didn't dread coming to work and I had fun working with my co workers. Store is under good management and the work isn't incredibly hard. The only con to my time at Shoe Carnival was they have a problem with pay roll. Pay roll was so bad at Shoe Carnival that it made doing daily tasks that shouldn't have taken long difficult because we were always short staffed.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Poor Payroll Management
Not the best place to work if you like to make money or get recognized for your performance and promoted
Manager (Current Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOJune 13, 2016
I worked there for four and a half years, and my ending pay as a manager was 13.00 an hour. They expect you to run a 1.5 million dollar in sales volume store on a poverty paycheck, with a depleted payroll. We were always understaffed...district management never once recognized how hard you work, or hinted at any kind of a promotion. Gave a lot of my blood sweat and tears to this company, was not treated like a manager who did. Very disappointing to see people who are not as qualified as you advance past you. 1 star rating.
Pros
Slow work days
Cons
Unnecessarily loud music, stingy pay, no advancement
Needs a change of management
N/A (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 13, 2016
As far as the environment its a great place to work at. Some of the customers are very sweet and kind and they become family over the years. The employees are all great. The downfall is the corporate office sets hours for all major holidays. Why should the employees work on all holidays especially Thanksgiving if your not. If you have yet to step inside a shoe carnival and see what goes on you shouldn't have much too say. Upper management is horrible. Ex. General Manager, Regional, District and corporate. The management team makes you not want to work there.
Pros
The fun environment.
Cons
Breaks, healthcare, management, working holidays
Easy but not paid well
Cashier and sale associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 7, 2016
Easy job for starters, management can be chaotic
Small work environment
Nice and young co workers
Small number of people in a shift on busy days
Shoe Carnival
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oswego, ILJune 7, 2016
This job is filled with busy work that does not make time go by any faster. Day in and day the job felt very monotonous which would make a five hour shift feel like an eternity. The pay was not worth it for how much shuffling around and sucking up you had to do. The hardest part of the job during Holiday season, because we were required to move entire isle's of shoes across the entire store.
Pros
Free lunch occasionally, Cool co-workers help
Cons
short breaks, a lot of busy work, boring shifts
Great temporary job.
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 6, 2016
Its a good place to work at, but its not long term. its great for teenagers looking for a part time job for extra money but you can't live off of the pay.
Fun workplace during back to school
Sales Associate & Cash Lead (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXMay 26, 2016
Good job for a High school student, they work with your schedule and give you the hours you want. This a great first job for individuals entering the workforce
Productive, fun place with work, where teamwork is of the utmost importance.
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 26, 2016
Shoe Carnival was an excellent place to work with all kinds of opportunities to advance. Management is professional offering excellent training and they helped me to learn a lot about the business in the short time I was there.My co-workers were wonderful, energetic and skilled professionals and easily the best part of my job was working with them!
Pros
atmosphere, co-workers, training
Cons
Retail hours, short breaks
First Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILMay 25, 2016
This was the first job I've ever held. I got my foot in the door in terms of the employment industry and got a feel for how it was to be in high school and working a part time job at once. I've also learned a lot about customer service and how to deal with a variety of people.
Pros
First job
Cons
Got in the way of school which is why I had to quit.