Shoe Carnival Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Great Place To Work For
Sales Associate/ Department Lead (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 22, 2016
This was my first job and this job is where I fit in perfectly with my customer service skills. The environment was fun and carnival like for the customers. I learned how to do inventory, how to unload shipment, learned how to be a cashier, overall I learned how to lead a shoe department store. The management looked out for me and always took the time to show me how to do things correctly. They took me under their wing and that along with my hard work ethic propelled me to advancement within the company. The hardest part was truck day, lifting all the boxes and stocking them by sections. The most enjoyable part was the customer service part. I love to see people leave with a smile on their face. I enjoy speaking to different people and helping them find a solution to a problem.
Growing company with tons of opportunity
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INMarch 8, 2016
I have been with the company for about 3 years and it has continued to grow. They care a lot about promoting good people from within. If you're willing to put in the work and relocate, there is a spot for you in management. It's a fun environment and a different concept that sets it apart.
Pros
Concept, room for advancement, fun
Cons
Pay
Fun work environment
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 11, 2016
Shoe Carnival was a fun place to work for. I was able to move up extremely fast in the company. The management in the store I worked for was awesome and extremely motivating to all employees.
Pros
Fast paced, room for advancement
Cons
pay to low
Shoe Carnival Work Life
Kids Department Lead (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILOctober 5, 2015
Overall working at Shoe Carnival is okay. You are hardly ever bored without much to do. There I always something to work on. The environment itself is great... at least in my experience. We all got along...managers and associates alike. The hardest part of the job is preparing your department for the coming season...its harder if your department is women's or kids. The second hardest thing is preparing for the new coming stock.... you have to make space which is hard when your limited in space and well the next step is bringing everything out...not that hard actually. There's always a way to keep moving up in the field.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Healthcare, PTO
Cons
Minimum wage, small raises, no bonus
Productive and fun work environment with spin the wheel
Sales Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXFebruary 7, 2016
Fun work place with games and fun coworkers. learned organization skills, inventory spread sheets, time management. Worked well with school schedule.
Pros
Breaks and lunches
Cons
Benifits- none
good days and bad days throughout work week
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IowaOctober 14, 2015
Shoe Carnival was a fair company to work for . The upper management made a lot of empty promises to string employees along and required long hours with not a lot of compensation.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long hours and no over-time pay
I was training our region of managers to market outside sales, planning out sale for the month, and hiring seasonal staff. I enjoyed the outside sales
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GASeptember 24, 2015
We were challenged to think outside the box. In doing so I became region trainer for marketing, however financial promises broken. Good company to apply yourself and train for the next level in your career.
Pros
Experience in all aspects of business to ready you for the next level of your career.
Cons
Management is sometimes rushed through training to fill a need do to a high turnover.
Sales Driven
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 31, 2016
This company has changed over the years. First they were fun and inviting to all customers who wanted to see something different when shopping. From the mic man to the spinning wheel, this was a great place to shop and save. Over the years the identify of Shoe Carnival changed. The company wanted to change their image and therefore changed their customer base. Overall great company and management staff from corporate to regional.
Not the best place to work if you like to make money or get recognized for your performance and promoted
Manager (Current Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOJune 13, 2016
I worked there for four and a half years, and my ending pay as a manager was 13.00 an hour. They expect you to run a 1.5 million dollar in sales volume store on a poverty paycheck, with a depleted payroll. We were always understaffed...district management never once recognized how hard you work, or hinted at any kind of a promotion. Gave a lot of my blood sweat and tears to this company, was not treated like a manager who did. Very disappointing to see people who are not as qualified as you advance past you. 1 star rating.
Pros
Slow work days
Cons
Unnecessarily loud music, stingy pay, no advancement
Needs a change of management
N/A (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 13, 2016
As far as the environment its a great place to work at. Some of the customers are very sweet and kind and they become family over the years. The employees are all great. The downfall is the corporate office sets hours for all major holidays. Why should the employees work on all holidays especially Thanksgiving if your not. If you have yet to step inside a shoe carnival and see what goes on you shouldn't have much too say. Upper management is horrible. Ex. General Manager, Regional, District and corporate. The management team makes you not want to work there.
Pros
The fun environment.
Cons
Breaks, healthcare, management, working holidays
Productive and fun workplace. Great Family oriented envioronment
Mic Person (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 10, 2015
Fun environment but long hours, especially for management positions.Work is mostly customer service and maintenance. Truck day is usually hectic because of the many boxes and customers constantly requiring your assistance.
Pros
Appreciate diversity, promotions are very obtainable, fun environment, great music while working, small intimate workplace.
Cons
short breaks, Employees unloaded truck during shopping hours, Upper management not very appreciative of employees, When promoted to manager, employees work ridiculous hours.
Summary of Shoe Carnival
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 30, 2015
A typical day as a sales associate is constantly providing great customer service and helping customers to meet their needs. This may be helping a customer find a walking shoe or a dressy shoe for a night out or special event. You have to be able to provide customers with a variety of styles and colors, that may interest them. Also involves helping to keep the store clean and making displays presentable for customers to easily view all of our shoes. I have learned how to be quick on my feet to help customers and how to suggest shoes that the customer has not considered purchasing before. I also have learned how to deal with customer issues, to help better their shopping experience. The management team is more than helpful to teach you how to do your job properly and are always open to any questions you may have about your job. Everyone is always willing to help fulfill customer needs. My co-workers are also helpful, as everyone has no problem doing teamwork to get a particular task done. There is no co-worker that won't help you out if you're ever in a bind. The hardest part of my job is trying to find a shoe similar to what a customer wants, if it is not available. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to see new shoe trends come in and helping customers find stylish and affordable shoes, leading to them making a purchase.
Pros
25% employee discount off lowest marked price
Cons
low starting wage, no benefits for part-time employees
Fun Job
Lead Mic Person (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHJanuary 29, 2016
I enjoyed working here. My co-workers were easy to get along with and Management was approachable and easy to talk to. I really enjoyed my interaction with the customers.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, approachable management, customers
Cons
lack of hours
Shoe Carnival
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oswego, ILJune 7, 2016
This job is filled with busy work that does not make time go by any faster. Day in and day the job felt very monotonous which would make a five hour shift feel like an eternity. The pay was not worth it for how much shuffling around and sucking up you had to do. The hardest part of the job during Holiday season, because we were required to move entire isle's of shoes across the entire store.
Pros
Free lunch occasionally, Cool co-workers help
Cons
short breaks, a lot of busy work, boring shifts
Great hours of work good money
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2015
The enjoyment of this job was see my customers come in and say ask can I help them with finding a different type of shoe or when I would get a raise for every 6 months of achieving honest and good work.My team members would also ask me y I would always be so happy my response because I love my job this is not a act.
Pros
FREE DENTAL FOR MY FAMILY, AND PAID HOLIDAYS
Cons
WHEN THE JOB CLOSED DOWN
Productive, fun place with work, where teamwork is of the utmost importance.
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 26, 2016
Shoe Carnival was an excellent place to work with all kinds of opportunities to advance. Management is professional offering excellent training and they helped me to learn a lot about the business in the short time I was there.My co-workers were wonderful, energetic and skilled professionals and easily the best part of my job was working with them!
Pros
atmosphere, co-workers, training
Cons
Retail hours, short breaks
Great Environment
Sales Rep/Register/Advertisement (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 29, 2016
Great place to work! The management is very inspirational to work with and i would recommend anyone to start working here
Great People to work with
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 17, 2016
Shoe Carnival was a fun place to work. I didn't dread coming to work and I had fun working with my co workers. Store is under good management and the work isn't incredibly hard. The only con to my time at Shoe Carnival was they have a problem with pay roll. Pay roll was so bad at Shoe Carnival that it made doing daily tasks that shouldn't have taken long difficult because we were always short staffed.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Poor Payroll Management
Be a Hardworker
Kid's Department Lead (Current Employee) –  Vienna, WVMarch 15, 2016
This job is rewarding and easy for hardworkers, and management respects an employee who can get things done in a timely manner.
Enjoyable and customer oriented job
Department Lead (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 6, 2015
It was a fast paced job. Enjoyed interacting with customers and meeting new people everyday. I learned how to appeal to peoples likes and dislikes. I was responsible for my own department, maintaining stock, displays, and cleanliness. The only thing I couldn't stand and probably most important was management and employee relations, they were very unprofessional which lead to my resignation.
Pros
good hours
Cons
management professionalism