Shoe Carnival Inc. Employee Reviews

Enjoyed Here
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCJanuary 6, 2017
I enjoyed working here as well as my coworkers. We still maintain a relationship to this day. I also enjoyed helping the customers that came in to the store and I would like to think that I am the reason for so many of our returning customers and their advancement in Shoe Perks.
Pros
Recognition and relationships with customers and coworkers
Cons
Management wasn't always great and lack of hours
Define...easy?
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INDecember 16, 2016
Shoe Carnival offers several different ideal work aspects to its employees. You'll learn about customer service, cashiering, stocking products, and most importantly; you'll learn how to waste time more efficiently. A typical work day: Walk in the store, hang up your coat because it's 3 degrees outside, walk to the front, walk to the back, and repeat. There isn't much to the job really. All you need is to have control over your arms and legs, then you're all set. In my experience, management was actually really cool, although I had that one manager that I absolutely despised. Regardless, it's an easy job with minimum wage pay, take that how you will.
Pros
Easy-going Management, Easy-going job, Will work around your schedule
Cons
Minimum wage
The retail store managers are extremely competent in the art of customer satisfaction. It is a laid back atmosphere when it comes to work enviroments!
Shoe Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Clive, IAJanuary 14, 2017
The amount of work is satisfying in the end. The management has people who are extremely hardworking, always pull your best out of you, they always command a hard worker who wants to reach next level of awsome customer servicing!! Great place to work, great way to make friends because customers love conversations. It taught me to be quick on my feet, fast in decision making, wonderful in the art of customer service. Great, amazing, wonder full company!! You should work here!!
Pros
Lots of conversations with interesting customers
Cons
None what so ever
Not the best place to work if you like to make money or get recognized for your performance and promoted
Manager (Current Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOJune 13, 2016
I worked there for four and a half years, and my ending pay as a manager was 13.00 an hour. They expect you to run a 1.5 million dollar in sales volume store on a poverty paycheck, with a depleted payroll. We were always understaffed...district management never once recognized how hard you work, or hinted at any kind of a promotion. Gave a lot of my blood sweat and tears to this company, was not treated like a manager who did. Very disappointing to see people who are not as qualified as you advance past you. 1 star rating.
Pros
Slow work days
Cons
Unnecessarily loud music, stingy pay, no advancement
Great Team
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Charles, MOJanuary 6, 2017
It's a great job to start a career at. They give you plenty of opportunity to advance and move up in the company. The pay is competitive and it is a fun work enviornment.
Great Job and very fun.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INOctober 10, 2016
A typical day at work in the retail store Shoe Carnvial is always fun and exciting. Never knowing what will happen with new people coming in and out was always fun. Having many skills in my back such as communication, stocking, being bilingual, and many others were huge factors in this workplace and I learned to use all of those very efficiently. Management here was amazing. They were very helpful and made you work very hard, which I love to do. Co-workers in this workplace were not the best. I learned to deal with them but they just wanted work to be easy and work was tough but for a person to love working is very rare and I love to work and my co-workers were clearly not in the same mindset. This job was very enjoyable.
productive and fun environment
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILOctober 7, 2016
A typical day at work for me would be to stock shoes and unload the truck. I also worked as a cashier, helping customers find the right shoe for them and helping with orders if needed. I learned to have great customer service and how to stock shoes in the correct order. Management was OK at the time, but now its under new management. My co workers were fun to work with and it was a fast paced environment. The hardest part about my job was inventory. Making sure the shoes were in the right order and making sure they got shipped out correctly. I enjoyed taking care of the customers and meeting their needs.
Pros
Discount on shoes
Cons
break too short
Family Retailer That Lost It's Way
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2016
Management was asked to do way too much with no payroll to back it up. Was personally closing a mall store with a single associate on the floor per regional management direction, only to be asked why customer service suffered, known theft (shrink) skyrocketed, etc. The company has lost their identity in the push to drive margin, and now is simply copying DSW with less success. Higher-ups are surrounded by "yes-men" so any common sense criticisms from the field will never make it to the top. (At a meeting in 2013, when one person asked the CEO why we still didn't have the technology to print gift receipts, they said they didn't know it was an issue. Regional management had submitted that complaint multiple times over the years prior. That's one example.) Until the top wants to learn and not surround themselves with an echo chamber, the stock will continue to stagnate despite any tricks pulled on earnings reports to shareholders. Good place to stay a few years and get good at your job, but don't plan on making a career out of this place unless you like never growing above a general manager.
Pros
vacation, regional management
Cons
upper management, payroll, inventory issues, technology is 10 years behind
Fast pace inviorement.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2016
This is very fast pace retail selling top quality name brands such as Nike, Puma and Rebook to name a few. Management works hard to make sales and provide customer service to maximize sales.
Pros
Training and Developement
Cons
Productive and fun coworkers. Fast paced environment
Women's Athletics Sales & Marketing Lead (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 11, 2016
A typical day involves planning for inventory, making sales, working the cash register, and training new employees and current employees on your tasks.
I learned patience, to have a strong confidence, and many retail oriented skills such as sales and cash work.
The coworkers are all fairly young as it is a high turnover job and the management has been there for a long time and worked their way up the system.
The hardest part of the job is staying positive and calm during hectic, busy times.
The most enjoyable part is meeting new people and having something of your own such as a department to be proud of.
Pros
Young, fun coworkers. Meeting lots of new people
Cons
Short breaks, working weekends, low wages
Okay place to work
General Manager (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJune 28, 2016
It had opportunities but you had to be one of the boys to be paid equally and be considered for promotion. I enjoyed the work but it was made more difficult than necessary but disagreeing Regional and divisional. My store was caught in the middle.
Pros
Product selection was decent in Athletics
Cons
Product selection in all other departments, management, low wages for employees, ran on 3.5% payroll
Productive and fun workplace
Cash Lead (Current Employee) –  1117 Geronimo Dr, El Paso, TXSeptember 23, 2016
Shoe Carnival is a great place to work at. The people are friendly and help you understand and learn a lot of things that will help not only do your job but other things in life. A typical day at work includes cleaning, maintaining the store's cleanliness, managing money and making sure all the registers come out balanced in the end. Helping out customers find shoes and making sure they leave happy. I've learned a lot about how to deal with all sorts of customers. Not only that but I have also learned the way registers work and how the company's software helps manage them. Management is great and go out of their way to make sure we understand what's going on and teach us plenty of new things. Co-workers are great and friendly. Hardest part of the job would be unloading truck. Since that requires a bit more physicality than the rest of the job but I am still able to get it done quick and efficiently.The most enjoyable part of the job would be helping people find what they need. Whether we have it or not, it's always great meeting new customers and hunting down the perfect shoe for them.
Pros
Free lunches (on occasions)
Cons
Not enough pay
Sales Associate
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYDecember 13, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of recovery as well as knowing sales promotions and changing displays throughout the store. I learned the basics of customer service as well as how to multi-task. The hardest part of the job was selling shoe care. The most enjoyable part of the job was gaining experience in a shoe store. It also gave me a chance to work in an ever-changing environment with different age groups.
Great Place To Work For
Sales Associate/ Department Lead (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 22, 2016
This was my first job and this job is where I fit in perfectly with my customer service skills. The environment was fun and carnival like for the customers. I learned how to do inventory, how to unload shipment, learned how to be a cashier, overall I learned how to lead a shoe department store. The management looked out for me and always took the time to show me how to do things correctly. They took me under their wing and that along with my hard work ethic propelled me to advancement within the company. The hardest part was truck day, lifting all the boxes and stocking them by sections. The most enjoyable part was the customer service part. I love to see people leave with a smile on their face. I enjoy speaking to different people and helping them find a solution to a problem.
Store crew is like family
Mic Man, Manager (Former Employee) –  Conyers, GAJuly 5, 2016
Although Corporate is kinda of off, the Store management teams are great. The atmosphere is family based and excellent. The staff is like family and care about one another.
Pros
family like co-workers
Cons
pay and benefits
working with your schedule is fine, just care about employees!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJuly 11, 2016
Shoe Carnival is a simple job sometimes it's just the customers. Also it can be worse if you have bad management, who does not make the employees work or clean. Then managers would say don't do 50% off pink stickers (clearance) shoes & then when a customer says something they do it anyway & then other customers want the same deal. Shoe carnival should care more about employees the one where I worked felt liked they belittle us when it came down to customers or corporate.
Pros
They worked well with your schedule most of the time
Cons
Need to care about employees
Nice job if you need income
Cash (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 13, 2016
Shoe Carnival was a great place to work as an undergraduate student, the management was nice, and the environment was relaxed and fun. However, if you are looking to make a LOT of money to support a lifestyle, this is NOT the place for you. I worked part-time 4-5 days a week and never had a check over $150.
Pros
Fun environment, close knit
Cons
Pay. Lack of flexibility.
I enjoyed working at shoe carnival
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 28, 2016
I had to apply for a management position to go any higher in wages. I am not management material.. I was a part time cashier/ customer service. I helped unload the truck & stocked inventory. Shoes, handbags, backpacks, socks & shoe care accessories
Overall great company with small issues
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYAugust 21, 2016
Shoe carnival is a great company to work for. Being in management takes a lot of time away of family. Moving up is very difficult as there is limited spots in the area. With being settled in elizabethtown it is very hard to move hundreds of miles away.
Needs a change of management
N/A (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 13, 2016
As far as the environment its a great place to work at. Some of the customers are very sweet and kind and they become family over the years. The employees are all great. The downfall is the corporate office sets hours for all major holidays. Why should the employees work on all holidays especially Thanksgiving if your not. If you have yet to step inside a shoe carnival and see what goes on you shouldn't have much too say. Upper management is horrible. Ex. General Manager, Regional, District and corporate. The management team makes you not want to work there.
Pros
The fun environment.
Cons
Breaks, healthcare, management, working holidays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shoe Carnival Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.