Shoe Carnival Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Great Place To Work For
Sales Associate/ Department Lead (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 22, 2016
This was my first job and this job is where I fit in perfectly with my customer service skills. The environment was fun and carnival like for the customers. I learned how to do inventory, how to unload shipment, learned how to be a cashier, overall I learned how to lead a shoe department store. The management looked out for me and always took the time to show me how to do things correctly. They took me under their wing and that along with my hard work ethic propelled me to advancement within the company. The hardest part was truck day, lifting all the boxes and stocking them by sections. The most enjoyable part was the customer service part. I love to see people leave with a smile on their face. I enjoy speaking to different people and helping them find a solution to a problem.
Growing company with tons of opportunity
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INMarch 8, 2016
I have been with the company for about 3 years and it has continued to grow. They care a lot about promoting good people from within. If you're willing to put in the work and relocate, there is a spot for you in management. It's a fun environment and a different concept that sets it apart.
Pros
Concept, room for advancement, fun
Cons
Pay
Shoe Carnival Work Life
Kids Department Lead (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILOctober 5, 2015
Overall working at Shoe Carnival is okay. You are hardly ever bored without much to do. There I always something to work on. The environment itself is great... at least in my experience. We all got along...managers and associates alike. The hardest part of the job is preparing your department for the coming season...its harder if your department is women's or kids. The second hardest thing is preparing for the new coming stock.... you have to make space which is hard when your limited in space and well the next step is bringing everything out...not that hard actually. There's always a way to keep moving up in the field.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Healthcare, PTO
Cons
Minimum wage, small raises, no bonus
Fun work environment
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 11, 2016
Shoe Carnival was a fun place to work for. I was able to move up extremely fast in the company. The management in the store I worked for was awesome and extremely motivating to all employees.
Pros
Fast paced, room for advancement
Cons
pay to low
Productive and fun work environment with spin the wheel
Sales Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXFebruary 7, 2016
Fun work place with games and fun coworkers. learned organization skills, inventory spread sheets, time management. Worked well with school schedule.
Pros
Breaks and lunches
Cons
Benifits- none
good days and bad days throughout work week
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IowaOctober 14, 2015
Shoe Carnival was a fair company to work for . The upper management made a lot of empty promises to string employees along and required long hours with not a lot of compensation.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long hours and no over-time pay
I was training our region of managers to market outside sales, planning out sale for the month, and hiring seasonal staff. I enjoyed the outside sales
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GASeptember 24, 2015
We were challenged to think outside the box. In doing so I became region trainer for marketing, however financial promises broken. Good company to apply yourself and train for the next level in your career.
Pros
Experience in all aspects of business to ready you for the next level of your career.
Cons
Management is sometimes rushed through training to fill a need do to a high turnover.
Productive and fun workplace. Great Family oriented envioronment
Mic Person (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 10, 2015
Fun environment but long hours, especially for management positions.Work is mostly customer service and maintenance. Truck day is usually hectic because of the many boxes and customers constantly requiring your assistance.
Pros
Appreciate diversity, promotions are very obtainable, fun environment, great music while working, small intimate workplace.
Cons
short breaks, Employees unloaded truck during shopping hours, Upper management not very appreciative of employees, When promoted to manager, employees work ridiculous hours.
Sales Driven
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 31, 2016
This company has changed over the years. First they were fun and inviting to all customers who wanted to see something different when shopping. From the mic man to the spinning wheel, this was a great place to shop and save. Over the years the identify of Shoe Carnival changed. The company wanted to change their image and therefore changed their customer base. Overall great company and management staff from corporate to regional.
Summary of Shoe Carnival
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 30, 2015
A typical day as a sales associate is constantly providing great customer service and helping customers to meet their needs. This may be helping a customer find a walking shoe or a dressy shoe for a night out or special event. You have to be able to provide customers with a variety of styles and colors, that may interest them. Also involves helping to keep the store clean and making displays presentable for customers to easily view all of our shoes. I have learned how to be quick on my feet to help customers and how to suggest shoes that the customer has not considered purchasing before. I also have learned how to deal with customer issues, to help better their shopping experience. The management team is more than helpful to teach you how to do your job properly and are always open to any questions you may have about your job. Everyone is always willing to help fulfill customer needs. My co-workers are also helpful, as everyone has no problem doing teamwork to get a particular task done. There is no co-worker that won't help you out if you're ever in a bind. The hardest part of my job is trying to find a shoe similar to what a customer wants, if it is not available. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to see new shoe trends come in and helping customers find stylish and affordable shoes, leading to them making a purchase.
Pros
25% employee discount off lowest marked price
Cons
low starting wage, no benefits for part-time employees
Great hours of work good money
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2015
The enjoyment of this job was see my customers come in and say ask can I help them with finding a different type of shoe or when I would get a raise for every 6 months of achieving honest and good work.My team members would also ask me y I would always be so happy my response because I love my job this is not a act.
Pros
FREE DENTAL FOR MY FAMILY, AND PAID HOLIDAYS
Cons
WHEN THE JOB CLOSED DOWN
Fun Job
Lead Mic Person (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHJanuary 29, 2016
I enjoyed working here. My co-workers were easy to get along with and Management was approachable and easy to talk to. I really enjoyed my interaction with the customers.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, approachable management, customers
Cons
lack of hours
Enjoyable and customer oriented job
Department Lead (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 6, 2015
It was a fast paced job. Enjoyed interacting with customers and meeting new people everyday. I learned how to appeal to peoples likes and dislikes. I was responsible for my own department, maintaining stock, displays, and cleanliness. The only thing I couldn't stand and probably most important was management and employee relations, they were very unprofessional which lead to my resignation.
Pros
good hours
Cons
management professionalism
Great Environment
Sales Rep/Register/Advertisement (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 29, 2016
Great place to work! The management is very inspirational to work with and i would recommend anyone to start working here
Great Atmosphere
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Taylor, MIDecember 2, 2015
Enjoyable place to work, great staff, and management. Helps with organization skills and time management. I love interacting with all the different people that walk through those doors. The smiles and reactions the make when I assist them to find exactly what they need gives the greatest feeling.
Amazing work place, great experiance
Cashier Department Lead (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJune 1, 2015
I have been working for Shoe Carnival for one year, and have spent more than 6 months as a cashier department lead. A typical day at work would be managing the front of the store, making sure our goals are met and everything is running smoothly. This has by far been my most enjoyable job, as the employees are Very nice and hardworking. Everyone does their fair share and we all work together as a team. Our store almost always reaches our sales goals, and is very organized. The management could not be better, as our general manager (GM) is very respectful and will not only help you improve your work ethic but who you are as an individual and will always give you good advice for your sticky situations. Our store runs as a family, and because of that my general manager has had the chance of winning GM of the year the past three years in a row, being his first three years as a GM, because of our great work ethic, and because of our GM being a great leader.
Pros
good hours, chance for promotion, great staff
Productive and Fun Environment
Temp. Dept. Lead (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, TXDecember 21, 2015
A typical work day would include meeting deadlines , greeting customers , exceeding above the expected to ensure every customer leaves with something. While working at Shoe Carnival I learned how to manage a store , deposits , time management and responsibility.
Be a Hardworker
Kid's Department Lead (Current Employee) –  Vienna, WVMarch 15, 2016
This job is rewarding and easy for hardworkers, and management respects an employee who can get things done in a timely manner.
family oriented and fun place to work
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXJanuary 12, 2016
My managers always worked around my school schedule. I received many recognitions and also many opportunities to move up in the company. I learned patience and overall how to apply my customer service skills to the best of my ability. The customer was always taken care of and we always found a solution to the customers needs. The hardest part of this job was the constant changing of managers in the store. The most enjoyable part of this job is developing a relationship with returning customers also being able to help customers and achieving satisfaction and great customer reviews and compliments.
Is a good place to work depending on location and manager
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLSeptember 16, 2015
Ive worked for the company for 10 years and it had its up and downs like any job. There is room for advancements but some of these managers/ regional managers depending on the region are just rude. On the other hand I've worked with some very good managers as well and made the work place positive and it reflected on how customers were always happy when they left out store location.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, Discounts and easy work
Cons
Favoritism and Some rude managers/ regional managers