Shoe Carnival Inc. Employee Reviews

great place to work and get customer service experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXApril 24, 2017
You help build shoe displays, clean the aisles, work in the front as a cashier and check people out. You vary from cleaning, to describing shoe products, and dealing with money on a daily basis.
Pros
cool staff
Cons
work random hours
Can be a fun environment
Sales/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLApril 24, 2017
This job gives very little benefits the only thing given is a discount. I enjoyed the environment, but truck day can be stressful. There is little opportunity for advancement.
Like a Family
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDApril 22, 2017
It was like a family there, and truly they are great people to work with. It is all about running the mic. If you can speak in front of people and merchanidise, you will be successful.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 22, 2017
I didnt spend much time working there but the thing that stood out most is how picky the management was. They were nice but they wanted everything to be perfect.
Pros
Free shoes
Cons
Short breaks
Shoe Carnival
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXApril 19, 2017
I loved working here at shoe carnival. It was such a great experience . I loved the people and the work load makes the job easy. I was sad to leave but unfortunately my time came to find something i could see for a career that would pay me well and give me more hours that will not interfere with my time at home with my family. My kids are still small and i was not always available to take off when someone was out, but i tried. My family was suffering from the hours and pay. If i was there full time i would have stayed much longer. I learned alot of patients, managing customers, customer service, safety, precautions, store sales and how the company works with sale accomplishments and their numbers and all that fun stuff. i liked that everyone was friendly and we all became close like a little family. i liked seeing the customers and helping them when they cant find things. i loved the satisfaction when a customer was so greatful for your help and simply just offering your service, when people want to tell your boss that your a great employee or want to give you compensation. it was great to help people in general. the most challenging part of working there was trying to get child care when i was scheduled at nights and being away from my kids getting out past bedtime to pick them up and take them home to bed was difficult for me for a very small check. Also it was in our store where we were cutting down hours and positions alot of people left because of hours and i am one of those. they always considered me as the cash lead but they never promoted me because of the store sales.  more... the culture there is alot of people from mexico. Over all shoe Carnival is great they work with your schedule so much and they help you with anything. I am so grateful to have worked here and have all the opportunities i had. there were not always low hours just toward the end when i needed something better and i finished college so i moved on.  less
Pros
great workload, flex ability
Cons
short breaks, hours
great first job, not a career environment
Sales Associate and Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasApril 19, 2017
I opened a location in Texas, so everyone was new, so that was nice, but over the years that I worked in that location, there was a relatviely high turn over rate for both employees and managers. It is a great place to gain experience and get a foot in the door, but the pay was not enough to stick around for.
Family fun environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCApril 18, 2017
Everyday at Shoe Carnival was enjoyable. I would go in an be greeted by all the employees, Everyone would give excellent customer service, and work in a timely fashion. It really felt like a family, Always helping one another. I've learned to have a lot of patience and how to deal with situations. I also learned how to time manage. The management had good communication, and were very encouraging. The hardest part of my job I would have to say would be putting out inventory. It is very exhausting and straining, but the best part about working there was the customers. I loved to meet people and hearing their stories and helping them find what they need.
Pros
good benifits, easy to move up in company, discount
Cons
have to work all hoilday
Loved working there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLApril 17, 2017
Productive and fun work enviorment . Management was very nice and understanding . Even though it was a temporary position my time there was great. Everyone worked together great.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Warsaw, INApril 17, 2017
My experience at shoe Carnival was ok . I just saw a lot of favoritism towards employees who did the least for the company. It is very hard to ignore.
Pros
Vacation
great place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHApril 16, 2017
I love working here, everyone is friendly and helpful. The hours are great and there is so much I have learned about everything. I really enjoy helping all the customers find the best pair of shoes for them.
Pros
hours, pay, people
Fun workplace at times
Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 13, 2017
The management is terrible. The work environment is fun and productive with the other employees. A lot of to do and not nearly enough pay or benefits.
Pros
discount, fun environment
Cons
minimum wage, management problem
Fun Place
department lead (Current Employee) –  FloridaApril 11, 2017
Fast paced typically, sometimes slow. Management makes a difference as well as types of customers.
Most enjoyable part are the good customers.
I have learned a lot about management skills, as well as selling.
Knowledge of shoes and various types.
Hardest part of the job can be planning.
A typical day of work consist of project and customer service including making space for new inventory and paying attention to sales that go on as well as what customers are buying what products.
Pros
Discount, Easy
Cons
Short Breaks, Advancements, Pay
Good for new management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairview Heights, ILApril 10, 2017
Out with the old management in with the new. It was good also bad at the same time. I left before the turn over so idk howbut is now but it should be better u always have that one bad apple as a manager.
Pros
Promotions
alright
Cashier, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 10, 2017
shoe carnival was alright i liked the staff but on the business side it was very poor. Because there wasnt alot of money being made my hours were cut alot and now the store is closed permanently.
Great Co-Workers and varying managers.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVApril 9, 2017
Shoe Carnival is a balanced place to work, they give you opportunities to take time off. However, some managers are more "X-Theory" rather than "Y-Theory". The Co-Workers will treat you like family. Shoe Carnival has a high lacking of communication between managers and regular staff. Payment is very low compared to what work you do.
Pros
Positive and friendly staff
Cons
Low pay, unrelaible managers
They pay isn't all that great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCApril 7, 2017
There is a lot of work that goes into shoe carnival daily and although it's not unbearable there are many things going on within a day and with little help. Getting paid $7.35 isn't even close to enough of what should be paid for the things that are done.
Pros
Great coworkers, lovely general manager
Cons
low pay
love the wheel
Saint Louis, Missouri - Store Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 4, 2017
The company was reasonable to work for. My store and employees was very responsible and helpful. It was many hours and once again the customers are very demanding.
Mediocre...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIApril 4, 2017
Shoe Carnival was fine, but they only ever scheduled me for 16 hours a week or so. Management wasn't great at communication. Minimum wage- wish they would have paid a little bit more considering that they were always understaffed and employees usually wound up staying AT LEAST 30 minutes if not an hour or more past the end of their shift, especially during closing shifts.
Pros
Easy work, good for students
Cons
Poor management communication, constantly understaffed
Easy job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 31, 2017
I worked as a temporary associate at shoe carnival for about 3 months. I was very disappointed when I was not hired on as a full-time worker because I felt like I was an excellent worker. I also found it unethical to hire a new person and train them from the beginning instead of furthering my training. Otherwise, it was a pretty easy job, with good management. I was never trained as a cashier even though that was the job title I was offered. I found myself very bored on weekdays when it was slow because I had nothing to do
Pros
easy, good management
Cons
slow paced
helping customers and a typical day
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 29, 2017
On a typical day at Shoe Carnival you mainly help customers find what they are looking for. You are also responsible for making room for and putting new product on the sales floor.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Manaditory holidays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shoe Carnival Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval