Shoney's Employee Reviews in United States

It's a job.
Server (Current Employee) –  Harriman, TNAugust 12, 2016
If you are looking for a part time job with flexible hours Shoney's is a good start. I've been there for 3 years as a server while being a full time college student. They work with my school schedule well. It's about what you would expect a serving job to be. You get paid $2.13 an hour call me benefits for next to nothing. Mostly older folks go to eat there and tips are hit or miss. All in all though it's an alright job. Just not one you want to be at for more than a few years.
Pros
50% off eat check, flexible hours
Cons
Short breaks very physical job
Fun Work environment
Hostess/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Dover, OHAugust 17, 2016
When I started working there it was the first job I have ever had So yes i was nervous but the people their all made me feel welcomed and a part of them, They all were so great on helping me out on things i didn't know or didn't get down right away, I was the youngest one working there so They kinda looked at me as their little sister or daughter. Everyone their has great personalities, they don't look at you a certain way, they are loving and caring people. It was a great working environment and everyday I couldn't wait to go into work.
Self fulfulling, in a small franchise.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Dublin, VAMay 25, 2016
Shoney's being an independent owned restaurant makes it a good place to work. There are no two days the same, each day I encounter new challenges. Working with fellow co-workers is enjoyable, however, at times working staff that are not trained well can be the hardest part of the job. I enjoy fulfilling the guest needs and request to make their meal experience a pleasure.
Pros
Company paid medical benefits.
Cons
No room to advance.
Hard workers
Hostess and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gold Rock, NCMay 4, 2016
My Job was more layed backed as people came to visit use to eat I would greet them and lead them to there seat I learned alot working there my manager was a lovely and sweet kind person If my coworkers needed help cleaning there tables and area if i wasn't busy at the time i would go help out i loved to do team work cause one loved to help one another the hardest part of the job was going to clean the bathrooms at the end of the shift i really enjoy myself working there for the time i did work there
Very Great
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Emporia, VAMay 23, 2016
Shoney's had to be the best job that have recieved so far.I was young (16-17)when I got there so this was also an experience for me as well.All in all it was great, but you know beeing young,I a made an irrational decision that I didnt want this job and it was not very wise. Now I have matured and realized that "if you don't work.You don't eat"
Pros
Everything was good
Cons
No cons
Nice place to work,overall good managers,and good team
Cook (Current Employee) –  Crossville, TNAugust 9, 2016
Busy every day, fast paced, always moving, love the work environment. Great management. Great teamwork. Food is great customer service is good. A typical day at shoneys is busy. Stressful situations come about but the team gets through them
Pros
Fast pace
Cons
Not enough hours
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Selma, NCAugust 1, 2016
A fast paced atmosphere where management and employees are trained in numerous areas. Co-workers are awesome. The typical day at work would be to ensure the buffet is quality controlled and customers are relaxed in a great atmosphere.
Pros
Low price employee meals and teamwork.
excellent place to work
Line Cook & Inventory (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 24, 2016
I ran the back of house since I had been here so long customers got to know me and I just felt very comfortable here, the restaurant did go out of business and I relocated to fort myers

I was incharge of ordering, receiving, cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner prep work, dishwasher, I worked 7 days a week and filled in where ever I was needed and helped out when people needed time off
Fun place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCAugust 15, 2016
Take care of the customers , employees and restaurant.
I learned to deal with a lot of co-works.
Managent was good.
Hardest part was to make co-workers to understand that customers are first.
The best part of the job was to see customers happy.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Fun work place , got to meet a lot of people
Waitress/hostess/cashier (Former Employee) –  Dandridge, TNAugust 12, 2016
I learned how to treat customers. I loved using the cash register and talking to customers. I made several new friends. I enjoyed working with people .
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Very busy at times was hard to talk to customers at times.
good company to work for enjoyed working in all areas of restaurant . learned a lot about how the restaurant business works.
PREP,/ GREET/ SEAT, STOCK,CLEAN-UP,BUSES TABLES, (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCMarch 26, 2016
prepping,food for buffet , greeting and seating customers in a timely manner , helping out where ever needed to ensure customer satisfaction.
Pros
leaned how to do multiple jobs
Cons
not enough hours.
Very Respectable co-workers nice to be around
Bar Runner (Former Employee) –  Lumberton, NCJuly 28, 2016
I liked the managers and the co-workers if i needed a push or felt nervous they was always open to help.I learned pretty quickly and i ran the food bar different to make prep food.
Pros
lunch
Cons
opening to early
Overall a great place to work
Area Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 7, 2016
I enjoyed my time while working at Shoney's. It was a great place for me to begin and advance my restaurant knowledge. Again, long hours were tuff at times but being able to help other members of management along with hourly employees become better employees was a great feeling.
Pros
Advancement if you worked hard
fun workplace
Server/ Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MSJuly 5, 2016
This was my first job out of high school. It taught me to work well with others and great customer service skills. I learned the importance of following protocol and ensuring that rules were being followed.
flexible schedules and overall okay place to work.
Server (Former Employee) –  Lugoff, SCJune 7, 2016
I enjoyed serving. You pretty much got to choose your schedule or either they would work with you and adjust it so you could attend to children or school.
Pros
good money
Cons
being on your feet constantly
Fun FAmily atmosphere
Server/cashier/host (Current Employee) –  Abingdon, VAApril 5, 2016
Shoney's is not only my job it is my family the employees and management are close and we all work together, the most enjoyable part of my job is being able to meet and communicate with people I all walks of life.
Pros
Family atmosphere
Cons
no health insurance
Had great food!
Server (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNFebruary 11, 2016
I liked working at Shoney's. I would make sure all orders I severed were correct and everything was clean. Served food and drinks to customers, made sure nobody ran out of their drink. Showed great customer service to all my customers. Always clean table floor chairs after each party left.
Pros
Great food!
Cons
Making 2.10 a hr. plus tips just is not enough to live on.
Productive company
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCApril 7, 2016
You must have good customer service in order to have a productive day,no room for advancement within, some of your coworkers are team players where others just dont care. You have to make the best out of your day and not worry about what other think of you
Waitress (Former Employee) –  South Boston, VAMay 9, 2016
This restaurant was a great work place with amazing co-workers. I was a waitress and I loved my job I was very good at it! They just couldn't manage the company like it was supposed to be managed so they had to shut it down.
Fun and productive place to work
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 21, 2016
Shoney's was a great work environment very flexible work schedule everyone pitched in to help one another and make sure the customers was happy
Pros
good work envirorment
Cons
short breaks