CONTROLLER PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
The Controller will lead and direct the establishment and maintenance of the Company’s accounting principles, practices and procedures for its fiscal records and the preparation of its financial reports. The Controller will ensure the Company has state-of-the-art systems and procedures in place, working closely with operations staff, not only educating them regarding accounting procedures, but also exploring how the accounting function can support the strategies of the company.
This position reports to the CFO. Reporting to this position are two Accounting Managers, one Financial Analyst, two Accounts Payable Staff Accountants, and one Payroll Specialist.
Primary responsibilities include:
Responsible for developing and maintaining managerial reporting and statistics to ensure that relevant information is communicated to management and outside organizations. Review and approve the preparation of financial statements regarding accuracy and compliance with standard accounting procedures. Ensure that transactions and records are maintained in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. Coordinate all audit activity, including but not limited to the annual audit, insurance audits, tax audits and union audits.
Recommend new or revised accounting systems to improve departmental efficiency. Maintain state-of-the-art practices. Participate in the development and implementation of departmental goals and organization structure. Update reports to improve usefulness and efficiency. Make recommendations for improving the effectiveness of policy and/or practices.
Assist with management of the Company’s debt, cash and cash equivalents, including cash held in multiple joint venture bank accounts. Ensure adequate cash is maintained to meet operational needs and maintain compliance with applicable banking requirements. Review and recommend negotiation of debt agreements as appropriate. Establish performance benchmarks and manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines.
Coach, motivate, mentor, and develop Accounting team members to successfully take on additional responsibilities and achieve established goals. Perform duties such as creating/revising job descriptions, conducting talent development discussion sessions, rating performance, establishing/tracking goals and completing wage reviews. Provide leadership by strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment; foster an environment of continuous improvement.
- Budget Development and Operational Results Review
Coordinate the development and maintenance of the Company’s operating and capital budget. Compare performance with operating plans and standards. Responsible for financial forecasts and projections.
Oversee and ensure timely and accurate completion of all federal, state and local tax filings. Prepare or assist in preparing payroll and other tax returns as needed.
Participate on the Company’s Pension Committee, overseeing design, administration and performance of the Company’s retirement plans. Coordinate and oversee activities of outside actuaries.
Assume other special activities and responsibilities as required, including succession planning analysis and compensation administration. Keep abreast of general business trends and practices, especially in the field of expertise.
- 10+ years of accounting and finance experience.
- Degree required (Accounting, Business Administration or related; advanced degree or CPA designation preferred).
- Proven strategic leadership and managerial skills; experience and demonstrated success leading a team of employees, including a focus on continuous improvement, team building, and employee-empowered leadership style.
- Personal traits of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to the company’s strategic plan and goals.
- Thorough knowledge of all relevant federal, state & local requirements regarding payroll, employment, taxes & licensing.
- Critical thinking skills; able to think through strengths and weaknesses and generate alternative solutions.
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills, which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting.
- Cash flow management experience.
- Experience managing budget development, reporting, and analysis.
- Experience in the coordination of audit activities.
- Strong supervisory skills including a commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a diverse team; uses foresight to delegate accordingly.
- Executive image and presence.
- Wide range of verbal and written communication experience/skills; persuasive skills; diplomacy; and active listening skills. Experience in effectively interpreting and communicating key data, including presentations to senior management.
- Willingness and ability to travel on a limited basis (on average less than 10%).
- Willingness and ability to work evenings and/or weekends during peak schedule times, as required.
- Advanced Excel experience and comfort-level working hands-on with various accounting and administrative technical applications.