ShopKo

ShopKo Employee Reviews

Overall a great college student job.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dowagiac, MIJanuary 30, 2016
This company has its priorities all mixed up. We have been through five managers in the last three years and one District Manager. Some days are fun but most are full of childish drama. Also you are expected to work your hardest at all times but never have enough time to meet expectations. It is a minimum wage job with rare pay increases.
didn't get enough hours with this job, had good breaks
General merchandise sales floor teamate (Former Employee) –  Spokane Valley, WAJanuary 29, 2016
First thing I did prior to walking in I went upstairs to the employee break area and signed in on my timeclock. I then went back down the stairs and went over to the customer service desk through the door there and signed out a scanner. From there I either did returns or stocking while looking out for customers calls.
Pros
teamate discount card
Cons
not enough hours
Good
FREIGHT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MTJanuary 29, 2016
Great people to work with on the floor. I left due to inconsistent work schedules and excessive team member turnover. Team members were not replaced in a timely manner.
Enjoy working with my teammates
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Ogallala, NEJanuary 26, 2016
Help customers find what they need, stock, and build plan-o-grams. Help unload truck and keep store looking nice, neat and clean.
A good starting job to get my foot in the door.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAJanuary 26, 2016
It taught me responsibility and how to work with others and maintain a good nature in difficult situations. Gave me great experience working with customers and how to handle them.
Pros
Good work enviornment
Cons
Wasn't fast pace
Fun to work out.
cashier (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTJanuary 25, 2016
Made lots of friends and learned better customer-cashier communication. I learned more about the store that I have always shop at, and learned better ways of asking questions to customers.
A lot of nice people and friendly environment
Crew member (Former Employee) –  Tomahawk, WIJanuary 21, 2016
I learned to work more independently and get things done without a manager having to tell me.
My co-workers were friendly and helped me when I needed assistance.
Pros
took break as pleased, a lot of free food in the break room, easy communication between coworkers and supervisors
Cons
Wasn't completely trained on everything
Retail
Assistant Apparel Manager (Former Employee) –  Manitowoc, WIJanuary 20, 2016
Assisted customers to their day by day needs. Assisted employees to day to day situations. Was responsible for the store being at its best performance, sales, cleanliness, and friendliness.
Cons
nights and weekends
My workplace experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Plover, WIJanuary 18, 2016
Being a seasonal worker was quite the experience, I was always having good laughs with my co-workers. Everyday was a great day. My managers always made me laugh throughout the workday also.
Productive yet laid back place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAJanuary 17, 2016
A typical day at work would include working out the truck to restock, while dealing with customers' needs until 5pm, when you move into organizing and picking up the store.

Want to know more about ShopKo?

Ask a question
Cashier and Sales Floor (Former Employee) –  Meridian, IDJanuary 16, 2016
I had fun working there, the only thing was sometimes I would only two days out of the week. I loved working there but I needed more hours so I found another that would have more hours. The management was friendly and very understanding.
Though one time I got hurt at work because I was moving a very heavy patio table in the back and the table came down on my foot and I had to be off of it for a few days but one of my bosses called me not the next day but the day after that to see if I was able to come in but I still couldn't walk on my foot and was on crutches. I was very annoyed that they assumed I was making it bigger deal than what it was.
Pros
Friendly staff and always had something for you to work on
Cons
Not enough hours available
Fun workplace
GM Salesfloor (Current Employee) –  Lacey, WAJanuary 15, 2016
The best part of my job is working with my co-workers. But there is no advancement opportunities with this company, management doesn't seem to care about the workers, and they hardly give the workers any hours.
Fun place to work but unprofessional store manager and showed inequality to women
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNJanuary 7, 2016
I loved working there, but the turn over rate at that store was very high mostly due to the store manager as well I was working full time but not getting benefits or building any vacation hours or increase in pay from minimum wage. Was there for close to a year and got a promotional title and crazy hours. The hardest part working at ShopKo East was working with the Store manager and when you try to explain something to him he wont listen when he has no experience in that position. It's his way or no way which sometimes made things a lot more hectic than they had to be. But the staff and other managers were great to work with and worked really well together.
Pros
Mostly great people to work with and free food on occasions
Cons
Store manager is very unprofessional and not open to ideas from workers as well horrible hours, no room for advancement
Rude
Appearal (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ILJanuary 3, 2016
some of the people there were rude. I would do stock and place it out on sales floor then empty dressing room and then id get to leave. the coworkers didn't like to help when i didn't understand something.
Pros
discount card
Cons
hostile work environment
Nice coworkers
Apparel Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTDecember 19, 2015
No room for advancement and managers had bad attitudes. nice hours, but low wage. very easy work, relaxed work environment
Pros
flexable hours
Cons
negitive environment
store manager (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 16, 2015
Shopko is a great place to work. Leadership truly care about the employee experience and they are committed to deliver a superb customer experience.
Great culture as well.
Pros
Fun place to work
An Excellent Company to work for.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lacey, WADecember 14, 2015
I worked as a cashier. I loved working with the customers and other co-workers. I learned how to communicate with people of all backgrounds, ages, and cultures.

I learned how to be a team player, how to use the cash register to sell items and as well as time and money managment.

The hardest part of the job was standing all day.

The best thing about the job was meeting new people.
Pros
Meeting new People
Cons
The pay was low.
Fun
Pharmacy Cashier (Former Employee) –  Beaver Dam, WIDecember 11, 2015
ShopKo was a good place for a first full-time job. Learned many different departments. Had a good time learning retail.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Short breaks
Wonderful, friendly and helpful place to work
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WADecember 8, 2015
In depth training and great co workers make for a fun and friendly work environment which I would gladly return to. Management was helpful, kind and cared about each employee.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
No benefits for non managers
Poorly managed and unsafe working conditions
Freight Associate (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh, MIDecember 5, 2015
During the time of my employment at this ShopKo I was exposed to unsafe working conditions on a regular basis. The store itself is very ill-managed. My application was submitted to be a Freight Associate but in reality my job description turned out to be: everything. I would highly recommend to every individual speculating about taking up employment at this location to carefully consider their values and thoroughly look through your options.
Pros
401(k) Savings Plan, Flexible Spending Plan, Optical, Dental, Health
Cons
Poor Management, Lack of communication, No definite job descriptions, Unsafe working conditions, No teamwork