ShopKo Employee Reviews

Chaotic and Unorganized work place.
Apparel Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Spanish Fork, UTNovember 19, 2017
A typical day at work was stressful and often made me angry. Most employee's didn't do what they needed to do and they often went unpunished if management found them. I learned that it pays off to be a hard worker and that if you do the things you need to do, it will help the company out. Management was terrible; at one point, there were three employees, including myself, in our department. The managers from the other two departments had to schedule people from their side to help in our department. Which didn't actually help at all because they weren't familiar with the apparel side of things. The culture was terrible and unhealthy. I often found myself angry and unhappy. The customers made my job worth it because I loved helping them find the things that made them happy. The hardest part of the job was the hours. I often worked an insane amount of hours for a 16 year old. One night, I worked from 4 p.m. to 2 a.m, on a school night. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers. Most were happy and wanted to ask questions. I loved helping them and making sure that they found everything they wanted.
Not a good company to work for.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ogallala, NENovember 18, 2017
If you like working your tail off for next to nothing this is the place. A cashier position is actually cahier/floor/house keeping/cart pusher/whatever else they can squeeze out of you. Manager has "favorite" employees so you get the shifts they don't want or you get blamed for everything. Don't dare get sick, they expect you to be there anyway.
Pros
Extra incentives at register
Great high schooler job
Shopko Teamate (Former Employee) –  Oelwein, IANovember 17, 2017
i worked at shopko for some extra cash during the holiday season and picked up extra hours. i worked with some great friends and made some new ones along the way. the manager at the time was super lazy. would see something on the floor, walk across the store to tell me it needed to be picked up..... yeah. overall a good place to work if youre a high schooler. or just need extra cash.
Pros
quiet, slow, fun, easy!, store discount.
Cons
minimum wage, no atore discount on electronics.
Okay place to work, but be ready to multitask
Apparel Associate (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDNovember 16, 2017
The turnover rate was so high, I often worked twice what I was supposed to (more than some of the full-timers). Almost every day that I went into work, I heard about somebody else quitting. Sometimes the work was relaxed and almost boring, other times I was trying to get so much done, it felt like my legs would break. Most of the customers were nice, but some were horribly rude and would make the job more difficult. Training for the job was pretty much nonexistent and there were some aspects that I never actually was taught how to do. If you work at Shopko, expect to be bored out of your mind on good days and severely understaffed and overworked on most days.
On the bright side, though, my coworkers were some of the best people I've ever met.
Pros
Coworkers, freedom to choose time of breaks
Cons
Management, customers, understaffed-ness
Stressful and overworked
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WINovember 16, 2017
This company is too lean and oftentimes very stressful because there is not enough staff to do the work that is asked. There is also very little job security and advancement. Pay and benefits are not great.
Cons
benefits, pay, lack of job security, holiday time off
Franchise within
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 15, 2017
Having worked with franchise businesses before, I found it refreshing that I was able to operate this location within those same parameters. This provided freedom to make business decisions on a day to day level and the ability to be proactive rather than reactive in the ever changing business model.
Very relaxed
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Malvern, OHNovember 15, 2017
This is a very slow-paced work enviroment and if you don't do well with face-paced jobs this would be an ideal job for you to pursue. The people are very friendly.
Pros
Two breaks
Cons
Slow-paced
good work but poor organization
General Merchandise Teammate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNNovember 13, 2017
A typical day at work started with me getting there at different parts of the day either opening and closing going to the back room grabbing pallet of product and stocking shelves, and at the same time assisting customers when needed, usually about 2 a week we would get a truck and unload all of the merchandise. i learned to have customer service skills, I gained job experience and i learned how manage my time better at work. the hardest part of the job was unloading the trucks because we were usually short staffed and most of the product was not light. The most enjoyable part of the job i would have to say was working with customers.
Great Coworkers
Retail Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WI 53704November 11, 2017
I enjoyed working with my fellow coworkers, and was fine working retail(OCD Helps with it), however I didn't like the higher up management. Even though I was a senior employee, and new hires would get more breaks/perks/slack/favors than myself. I finally left when I found out that I was denied multiple promotions to management because my immediate manager "didn't want to try and replace me".
Terrible Management and terrible pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNNovember 10, 2017
Store manager is a self-centered, egotistical jerk. Unnecessarily rude to his employees. He refuses to help cashier because he doesn't even know how to run a cash register. The pay is abysmal, and they cut people's hours like crazy. They usual only have one salesperson on the floor in apparel because they cut all their hours. All the employees are stressed out and hate their lives. The customers are also rude and treat you like you're not a human. Shopko is so cheap they didn't give any of their employees a raise. I'm sure the CEO got a nice bonus though.
Cons
horrendous management
Good company, but a lot of busy work
Shopko Pharmacy #796, Pharmacy Manager (Former Employee) –  Kasson, MN 55944November 9, 2017
Shopko as a company has good potential, but a lot of busy work involved and upper management was never happy. Most days I was a basic clerk at the counter, and often had to work alone.
Very stressful work place.
Shopko apparel teammate (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MINovember 8, 2017
Lot of people who work here don't do their job, there are only a select few who do. It is very poorly managed. Working here for me was way to stressful and I feel like for a job this stressful and demanding it's not enough pay
Pros
Flexible
Starter job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Seymour, WINovember 8, 2017
Would be great for someone just starting out in a basic entry-level position. Decent place to get into retail.

IF you have the right manager, being trained would be no issue
Fast-paced
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTNovember 7, 2017
This was a pretty fun company to work for. You were almost always busy and weren't wandering around bored. You get to interact with customers, help unload inventory, set up holiday aisles.
poor management
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MTNovember 7, 2017
typical day was to come in and count down all the tills from previous day and get them set up . do deposit from previous day and then customer service. the immediate manager was difficult to work with.
Will keep you on your toes
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Monmouth, ILNovember 3, 2017
The management do not believe in breaks, you are kept pretty busy with setting new plans or moving merchandise, most of the current people are enjoyable to work around
Pros
discounts on various merchandise
Cons
no breaks
Fast paced, fun work nvironment
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Rothschild, WINovember 3, 2017
There really isn't a typical day at work. There are certain job duties that need to be performed daily, but every day is unique and you never know for sure what to expect when you work in customer service.
The hardest part of the job is the amount of information that is needed to competently perform the job duties required for this position.
The most enjoyable part of this job is getting to know all the regular customers as well as some of the new customers.
Pros
The discounts and fun work environment
Cons
The amount of work that is expected to be done while still providing excellent customer service.
Good Start in Managing and Career building
Optical Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, MNNovember 3, 2017
I enjoyed the benefits and ability to work up to a career but did not enjoy the holiday nights and week ends while growing my family.
Opportunity for advancement is best if you dont mind relocating.
Great store team
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WINovember 3, 2017
Great team to work with within store. Highly motivated and goal oriented. Caring and focused.

No vision for the future corporately. Next level of upper management ineffectual. Lack of support for the stores.

Very high management turnover
A friendly team of people and lax enviorment
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Belvidere, ILNovember 2, 2017
Shopko is a great place to work management is friendly and caring and the hours are very flexible.
There is even advancement opportunities. They try to keep things fun and carefree.
Pros
Fun and relaxed
Cons
Part time hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ShopKo. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8