ShopKo

ShopKo Employee Reviews

Not a pleasant place to work
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee), Chippewa Falls, WIAugust 18, 2015
As someone who came to this position after a store closing forced me to lose a job, I was unpleasantly surprised by the lack of communication and the hostile work environment that Shopko fostered. I like retail (since that is where had last come from) but the management at my particular location was unwilling to communicate and were generally hostile and unstable to work for. I had come from an experience where management was there to hone the skills that already existed in the people that worked there (which is what I thought was a trait of a good, motivational manager). Instead, here, they just talked about you behind your back if you did something wrong. They didn't bother to tell you, constructively correct you... nothing. Just gossip. All of this without any proper training (they didn't take the time for that), so one could reasonably expect that there would be a mistake made from time to time. I had a feeling that they were all miserable so they needed to make everyone else miserable in the process. There were also at least two managers that had been the subject of MANY sit down talks as far as their behavior and nothing was ever done. The subject of the fact that working with them was unpleasant was a daily conversation between employees. It was a downer. On the other hand, if the management wasn't hostile and rude, they just didn't care. I heard this from my direct supervisor over and over again ('I don't care"). I saw him maybe twice during the day and the rest of the time I had no idea where he was. I didn't have time to check, as I was busy. One time though, I did – more... catch him watching a football game on his phone...he was "bored". As far as any of the management helping do day to day tasks when we needed backup or were busy, well, you could guarantee that you would hear about it later, as we had been told in no uncertain terms that they didn't like doing that type of thing (i.e. helping out on registers, helping customers out on the floor). It's too bad, as there are a lot of genuinely good people that are trying to do their best at Shopko but with management essentially sucking the life, fun, and good attitudes out of everyone it makes for a miserable place to work. – less
Easy operations and customer needs
Sales Floor Specialist, Ran hand held CPU (Former Employee), Doniphan, MOAugust 18, 2015
Pros: Easy straight forward work. Management was on task and always together
Cons: Not enough work hours
Ran the stocking hand held computer systems to stock the store. Also attended to customer needs and restocking the shelf. Did some maintenance work as well, such as fixing signs, doors, lifts. Did clean up ever night such as swept the floor, cleaned bathrooms and taking out the trash
worst place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Delavan, WIAugust 15, 2015
Pros: the customers
by far the worst place I have ever worked. management was rude and unprofessional. I would never recommend this company to anyone!
Very Productive
Cashier (Former Employee), Beloit WIAugust 14, 2015
A typical work day for me at ShopKo was eventful, never a dull moment. I learned about how to run a cash register, and how to fully stock the front area. My manager was always on top of making sure I was comfortable and safe at all times. My co-workers were all respectful and helped me when I needed it. The hardest part of my job and work duties were is whenever I got stuck about something, I felt bad for letting customers wait. The most enjoyable part about my job, is watching customers satisfied about their visit at ShopKo.
Shopko was a fun environment and has very helpful coworkers.
Cashier (Former Employee), Bellevue, NEAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Having patient coworkers and customers
Cons: having to work at a fast pace and not end up messing up the change for a customer.
I worked for seasonal so it was typically pretty busy. I learned to ring up customer's items in a decent amount of time and how to handle cash in a busy time of the year. Management helped out a lot when needed. Coworkers were always there to help when something either needed to be found out, or gotten for a customer. The hardest part I believe would have been making sure that things rang up at the correct prices and make sure customer's with a shopko card information was correct. I liked this job because the customers and my employees were very understanding and had patience with me.
Horrible place to work with exceedingly awful mangement
Sales floor (Former Employee), West Jordan, UTAugust 7, 2015
Pros: nothing, at all.
Cons: the whole job experience
Management lies, for their personal benefit.
co workers were never trained so you get forced to work with untrained people who have no idea what they are doing.
the job could potentially be easy if the management would be clear what your job duties were and would actually help out for once.
absolutely nothing enjoyable about this job.
worked there over 2 years and never once earned any sort of raise.
Interesting and cultured
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Custer, SDAugust 2, 2015
Pros: Good lunch and break periods
Cons: unfair treatment sometimes
The managers could have worked better together and with the employees. The typical day was pretty much cleaning the store when you got a break from the register, and putting things away when closing time. Most co-workers were a bit immature half the time, witch made the job a slight bit harder, but i toughed threw it. When it was a good day, we all had fun at work.
Shopko is the BOMB!
General Merchandise (Former Employee), Provo, UTJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Great hours!
Cons: Short breaks.
I loved working at Shopko! The working environment is amazing. Everyone, and everything seemed to fit in a beneficial and productive flow.
great place to work
GM supervisor (Former Employee), Mahnomen, MNJuly 24, 2015
Pros: great selections
Cons: under staffed and customers are always stealing
under staffed but work load keeps you busy. long hours if you want them and easy to climb the ladder so to speak. although store was in shambles for the most part we were slowly getting it together when we finally got our store manager in.
Poor Employee ~ Management communication
Sales associate (Former Employee), Redding, CAJuly 21, 2015
Pros: store discounts
Cons: often not given breaks, missed lunches
At first there was lots of training and support, but, then I was left in a department, with no support and no or infrequent breaks.

Communication between the department managers and workers was terrible.
General manager is a good guy, but, it seems like he often doesn't know whats going on in his store.

Co-workers were great.
Job Duties
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Beaver Dam, WIJuly 21, 2015
● Duties included responsibilities to operate photo equipment to process prints from various media, handling of photographic materials, organizing prints, manage changing priorities, filing and waiting on customers.
● Worked in the customer service department, waiting on customers for returns and exchanges.
● Handled a variety of customer inquiries and demonstrated the ability to take care of the customer with enthusiasm and in a professional manner.
Fair
Sales Floor/Cashier (Former Employee), Salmon, IDJuly 19, 2015
Pros: It's a good environment
Cons: They hire nothing but cry babies
Shopko Hometown was a great place to work but when I wanted to transfer to the Shopko Big Box it never happen. I am very disappointed in this situation. Now I'm out of a job.
Flexible Working environment, perfect for going to school.
Cashier (Current Employee), Salem, ORJuly 17, 2015
As a cashier you stay at your register and help customers to the best of your abilities and check people through your lines in a timely yet kind fashion.
Decent Starting Job.. That's about it.
Apparel teammate (Current Employee), Sandy, UTJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Flexible Schedule, Good hours
Cons: Bad Management, Low pay, Inconsistency
When I first started working here, it wasn't half bad. Yeah, the pay sucked but it was an okay work place. However, I received little to no training, and was thrown onto register after only watching two transactions. Which did not lead to happy customers. The store manager is not the nicest of people. And many of my coworkers have quit and are thinking of quitting because of him. As well as the fact there is no consistency between the 3 managers. One manager will tell you one thing, and the other will yell at you for it. Hopefully this issue will be solved. Another issue is although the majority of my coworkers where amazing people, there where some people who would constantly slack off and not get in any trouble for it and the other teammates would have to pick up their slack. The job was fun while it lasted, but I can't do it anymore. Most days are pretty stressful. We where expected to do way too much in such little time.
However, up until this week I've always been able to get days off. I was never scheduled out of my availability and I always got the days off that I asked for.
Productive place in a small rural town
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Hoopeston, IllinoisJuly 13, 2015
Pros: discounts on different items
Cons: health benefits, the hours
A typical day at Shopko Hometown is a slow and productive day of folding clothes and assisting customers when needed. I have learned to improve my communication skills with customers. The management varies on who I am working with. My co-workers are okay but a little snobby at times. The hardest part of my job is dealing with rude customers that don't care about anyone but themselves. I love working with my co-workers but I am due for a better paying job that will help me out with my degree in Business Administration.
Poor place to work, poor management.
pharmacy sales (Former Employee), Wisconsin Rapids, WIJuly 10, 2015
Pros: good job for high school kid
Cons: Poor work atmosphere, no pay raises given for several consecutive years.
This company does not want full time employees. They would prefer to hire 2 part-time people rather than 1 full-time so they don't have to pay benefits. They do not promote a enjoyable work environment. All management cares about is the bottom line and profits.
decent entry level job
Sales Floor Employee (Former Employee), Neenah, WIJuly 6, 2015
Pros: Easy work
Cons: low pay
Work tended to be boring most days except for the christmas season. A lot of nights would be spent straightening the floor for the next day with very few customers in store. Low pay but it is an entry level job.
Simple job that always kept me busy.
Team Member (Former Employee), Billings, MTJuly 5, 2015
Pros: Simple work, always busy, friendly staff.
Cons: Worked late nights
I enjoyed Shopko because it was my first experience working retail. I learned a lot of new things and enjoyed the people I got to work with.
Good learning experience
Pamida Associate (Former Employee), Green River, WYJune 30, 2015
Pros: learning experience
Cons: managment
It was a good learning experience from switching the store from Pamida to Shopko and getting everything set up to open on grand opening. Learning how to stock shelves and how to do backstock
overall experience was fair
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Larned, KSJune 22, 2015
Pros: There were some enjoyable times.
Cons: breaktimes were really badly secheduled. Bathroom breaks were hard to get.
overall experience was fair, but felt I was treated unfairly, and work conditions were bad at times. Management was not good.
Headquarters