ShopKo

ShopKo Employee Reviews

A fun workplace that had a lot of energy
GM Salesfloor (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJune 4, 2015
I loved my co-workers at ShopKo, they were fun and energetic. I loved working in the back unloading the trucks and I liked helping out customers and receiving "thank you's" when I did something for them. The hardest part of the job was when it would get busy and I'd have 5-6 people asking me to help them.
I love my co workers they are all my age and i have made great friends
Salesfloor (Current Employee), West Jordan UtahJune 4, 2015
I don't like the management. The main managers are unfair and act like teenagers talking behind your back and trying to make it hard for you. After 2 years you get a 15 cent raise. $7.40 to $7.55. You get flexible hours it was easy though High School. How ever Black Friday and the holiday hours are horrible!!!! The only thing I like about this job is the friends I have made.
Great Co-Workers
GM SPEACIALIST (Current Employee), Green Bay, WIJune 2, 2015
My co-workers treat everyone fair and we all get along pretty well. We never let each other down. If someone needs help thers almost always a more experienced worker there to help assist.
a tipical day.
general merchandise /freight specialist (Former Employee), bountiful, utahJune 2, 2015
Pros: nice manegment
Cons: no breakes and a short lunch
come in at 5am and start freight and finish my 9am. go to the back to back stock any over stock and finish my 1pm. start and finish auto pull by 2pm. help any customers and associates if needed. make bails, pallet of bins, ex.
Confusing leadership
cashier (Current Employee), montanaMay 29, 2015
Pros: Friendly atmosphere
Cons: Disoriented leadership
Friendly employees and a good atmosphere but confused managers. Each telling you something different to do, simultaneously. Some have a habit of making you feel belittled. They seem "big headed" and have a lack of responsibility for rude tone and manner.
Extremely low pay, high workload
Ecommerce Operations Coordinator (Former Employee), Green Bay, WIMay 28, 2015
Pros: Jeans at the office
Cons: low pay, low vacation, high health insurance costs, no advancement, no training, poor leadership, poor management
The pay at Shopko is extremely low and not in line with the job duties. Although my job was problem solving, deep program knowledge, testing, customer service, requirements writing, project ownership, merchandising, SEO, and more; I was classified as "data entry" and paid as such. I made less than a customer service specialist makes. My rate of pay was not enough to support my family and while working at shopko I qualified for and received food stamps.

Job seekers, beware of promises of raises and promotions, these are non existent. I received one raise of .25 in my four years with the company. Make sure any compensation you accept is something you can live on for the next 50 years because Shopko is never going to raise it.

Of course, because the pay is so low and advancement does not exist, this means what employees actually do is simply leave within about 2 years. The whole corporate office is actually just a training ground for other retailers/competitors and area businesses. Shopko is an OK place to go if you can't find anything else. The good news is they will let you take on as much work as you want. Pad your resume, put some projects under your belt, and leave for a real employer for twice what you were making. The EMT program in particular is a great way to get ready for a career - somewhere else.

There were five rounds of layoffs in a 12 month period, the most recent being less than 4 months ago. This is a company that is opening new stores and growing its foot print aggressively while at the same time cutting the workforce. Things have fallen through the cracks and ultimately this isn't sustainable but it won't really matter because as described above you aren't going to actually stay with the company anyway.
decent pay, good benifits.
assistant store team leader (Former Employee), Rothschild, WIMay 27, 2015
Pros: good benifits, flexible hours
Cons: some relocation from time to time
many long hours during the holiday season, many nice quality employees, comfortable temperature controlled working environment, some flexibility with work schedule.
pretty good place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Provo, UTMay 26, 2015
pretty cool place to work. was my first job and it was fairly easy. the people there at the time were very friendly. sometimes i did not understand some of the procedures and would feel like i got in trouble.
Great first job
Cashier (Former Employee), Twin Falls, IDMay 26, 2015
This was my first job and I have a great experience working with him. Management is great. Hours were great. the people there are great to work with. I worked as a cashier and moved to various departments in the company within 4 years
Efficient and Productive work place
Cashier (Former Employee), Monticello, ILMay 22, 2015
Very productive store with a strive to continue to grow. Locally owned store where everyone knows everyone and it is very friendly
Not the best but isn't the worst either...
Apparel Sales Associate (Former Employee), Manitowoc, WIMay 20, 2015
Pros: Fair teammate discounts, 15 minute breaks, guaranteed time request off (if submitted two weeks prior), flexible hours
Cons: Low hourly wage, work on weekends and holidays, understaffed
It started off great. I was looking for a job and I received a phone call shortly after I turned in an application online. I got hired just a few days after my interview, with no experience in retail. The people who trained me were very friendly and helpful though they left out a few useful things.

Within the next few months, I began to dread coming to work. There were days it was super busy and days there was absolutely nothing to do. I wasn't greeted by some teammates the way I greeted them. Though I got along well with with my co-workers, some of them stood around and talked while I was running around working and assisting customers. "STAR" courtesy was a pain because I had to drop whatever I was working on and hop onto a cash register. Sometimes, I would be stuck checking customers out for 10+ minutes, giving me little time to finish my projects. Management was alright. There were a few disagreements and miscommunication between some of the managers.

This job was easy, fast-paced, and simple but I decided to quit without giving a two-week notice because I had bigger dreams to achieve. I would recommend this for teenagers who are looking to make a little money on the side while going to school. It's a pretty good intro. into the retail business. Otherwise, invest your time in a better paying job.
Fun environment
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Sussex, WIMay 19, 2015
Helping the customers with returns and problems.
Learned effective communication skills.
Management was so-so.
Co-workers were awesome.
Hardest part of the job was telling someone they cant do return something and the manage coming up and telling them they can.
Most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers.
Shopko is a good company to work for, except for the lack of communication amoung management.
Freight and Sales Floor teammate (Current Employee), Rothschild, WIMay 18, 2015
Pros: Simple, flexible hours, and
Cons: To easy, repetative, not challenging enough, to slow paced
Management does not communicate well to other managers or employees. Different managers give orders that conflict the other which causes confusion. Also, Shopko does not offer much room for advancement within the company and does not offer competitive wages.

Despite these issues, I very much so enjoy unloading truck and the feeling of accomplishment that comes along with it. I enjoy the strenuous labor.
great place to work, good people
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Liberty, KYMay 14, 2015
very good company to work for, people and mangement were friendly, I learned alot from this job. Pharmacists were very good, very approachable.
Great Place
Cashier/ Sales Floor Team member (Former Employee), Madison, WIMay 11, 2015
i really enjoyed working here, the everyone was nice, it was a great place to be positive place with lots of positive people. my managers and supervisors were amazing. just decided to leave after a while, not much room to move up in the company quickly
Good for Second Job
Receiving Specialist (Former Employee), Waupaca, WIMay 8, 2015
This company is great for a college or high school student looking for employment. Retirees, except they will work you to death with very minimal pay. Benefits are minimal and extremely expensive.
Customer Service
Cashier (Former Employee), Allegan, MIMay 7, 2015
Help customers, cashier, unload and sort truck, stock shelves, set planograms, and clean store. some days worked short shifts and only cashiered and others were longer and would help with truck
Most enjoyable part of job was teaching and training new associates.
Management (Former Employee), Centerville, TNApril 30, 2015
The job was O.K. Enjoyed my time there.Teaching and training was a must to be able to delegate the right associate for the correct job.
Fun workplace and many jobs avaliable
Cashier/Lawn and Garden/Retail (Former Employee), Plover, WIApril 27, 2015
Pros: Free snacks often and mix up in positions
Cons: Rude customers
I cashier, clean, assist customers, help in apparel and lawn and garden. I learned how to have fun working and stay busy and productive. My co-workers were easy to talk to and get along with. The hardest part was being so busy on certain days and working holidays. The most enjoyable part was the job itself.
Fun Place To Work
GM/Apparel Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee), Orem, UTApril 23, 2015
Pros: Easy, Fun, great people, Great management
Cons: Bad pay, Can be difficult
Shopko is a great beginning job to start out with in retail but the company never does pay raises or let you grow in the company. They've recently begun to incorporate more hard work but not for the price they are paying.

About ShopKo

Shopko is a $3 Billion company with over 18,000 teammates. In the retail and retail health business for more than 50 years, we – Read more

ShopKo Salaries