ShopKo Employee Reviews in United States

Good place to work when you have a full mangement team
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 5, 2016
10 to 12 hour day covering Store manager duties and GM Manager duties.
This was also the hardest part of the job.
Managers were trained at a low volume store and were overwhelmed when place in a high volume store.
Easy and simple place to work
General Marchandise (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, NEJune 3, 2016
On a typical day I would stock the shelves in the front and in the back room, help bring the carts in, and helped with carry out. I got along with my managers and other co-workers. There wasn't any hard/difficult parts of the job, I just enjoyed to work there.
Shopko was a fun environment.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Bountiful, UTJune 3, 2016
Shopko was a great place to work over Christmas Season. They help a lot of people. They ended up closing the location I was at but overall they were a good company.
Nice Place to work.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Union Gap, WAMay 31, 2016
Employees are friendly and very helpful. Its a smaller Building so its real easy to know everyones names. Pretty clean for the most part.
Its good for a first job.
Pharmacy Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORMay 29, 2016
I have worked here for a few years, its an alright place to work but not for forever. Definitely a first job or a "I need to pay the bills" kinda job.
Not a bad summer job.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Spanish Fork, UT 84660May 28, 2016
Working at Shopko felt very much like working in a mom and pop store as it was very simple work that may not have paid terribly well but made up for it by having a great atmosphere.
Pros
Great people fun to work with.
Cons
Very low pay.
Shoko is a good retail job for people alright with minimum wage.
Floor Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh, MIMay 27, 2016
When I was employed at Shoko, since it was retail, there were many very early shifts for price changes and stocking, but the days are calm and relaxing to work because of the location of the Shopko store I had worked at. I work under the previous manager of the Tecumseh location and the manager there was very compromising with any questions or concerns. There was only one difficult part to this job which was only when the check out got busy.
Fast pace and fun atmosphere
General Merchandise Associate (Current Employee) –  Monmouth, ILMay 22, 2016
making sure shelves are stocked and faced. The management is nice and understanding. The coworkers are very nice and always willing to give you a hand.
Good high school job
Sales Floor Associate (part-time) (Former Employee) –  North Platte, NEMay 20, 2016
My tie here was long, but it was a very good high school job. I enjoyed the fast-pace environment and helping people. I gained customer service skills and learned how to work with a team.
very easy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lovington, NMMay 16, 2016
very easy, fun, always have something to do co- workers very nice and helpful. sometimes slow or can be very busy sometimes fusterating I learned how to read barcodes
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
Nice place to shop but horrible place to work!!!
Apparel Associate (Former Employee) –  Grafton, WIMay 14, 2016
Former employee! I feel I've wasted 90 days of my life waiting for commitments that never came?
Training is horrible, had to learn a lot on my own,but when things are wrong, you heard about it!
Management is beyond horrible!!! So many lies they can't even get their stories straight.
Pay is horrible, no increases. I went from working 30+ hours to 15, how can anyone live on that and no doubt the pay???
They hired a new manager, dumber than a box of rocks, no retail experience, walks around does not help anyone, how sad!
Morale is horrible, and people don't stay long.
Just make money and the heck with the employees!
Take my advice, don't work there!!!!!
Pros
helping customers
Cons
management, low pay, no incentives
Awesome place to work
Front End Cashier, Part Time (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WAMay 13, 2016
Friendly managers, willing to work with you however they could to give you hours. However, being a part-time cashier can be difficult if hours are what you are trying to get.
Fun and productive place to work
General merchandise teammate freight (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIMay 13, 2016
Great place to work, fun and face-paced. A detail-oriented and face paced work environment, what you learned is to provide customer service on a daily and hourly basis, the hardest part is knowing where everything is on the store, the most enjoyable part of the job is customer service!
Pros
3 breaks!
Cons
Don't know
Fun Workplace
GM Sales floor (Current Employee) –  Beaver Dam, WIMay 12, 2016
Typical day at work was clocking in, starting to unload boxes of items and putting them on sales floor, then walking around each aisle to see if things needed to be rotated, also saying hi to customers. I've learned to use a price gun, and how to put prices on stickers. Management was fast paced, very little training. I'd have to ask a lot of questions, and cash register was difficult and only trained me for one day. Cor workers were awesome So friendly and nice to work with.
Pros
Working well with other employees, and making customers smile.
Cons
Not trained enough, difficult in asking a questions when managers were all over the place.
Don't even waste your time, you can do so much better elsewhere.
General Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTMay 10, 2016
Interview with manager was unprofessional. Essentially, the manger just spoke about how they were in dire need of more workers. Not a single job related question regarding the position was asked, other than some very basic information for a background check. The co workers were mostly inexperienced high schoolers. Most of which were unhelpful in regards to assisting new recruits. Many new recruits were left wandering around not knowing what to do. Pay rate and salary is ridiculously too low. Hardly any hours were offered. On average, only about 2 days a week was offered. Would NOT recommend.
Pros
10% discount store card for all employees.
Cons
Very low salary, unhelpful and inexperienced co workers, not enough hours.
Slow workplace with little flexibility
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMay 9, 2016
The average work day at Shopko is usually slow with little activity. The management provides little flexibility with scheduling and hours. My experience at Shopko has taught me that no matter what the job is, the management has a lot to do with whether or not employees stay at the establishment or seek other employment. The co-workers were easy to get along with but come and go frequently. Not many stayed for long.
Shifted priorities in Michigan
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kalkaska, MIMay 5, 2016
Shopko has eliminated the district manager position in the area where I worked, and is eliminating stores. Their plan is to gradually move their business to the Eastern U.S. They were an above average employer before this decision was made.
Pros
Fair evaluations.
Cons
employee relations, since the decision to leave Michigan.
Shopko is Amazing
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Imlay City, MIApril 27, 2016
Management was very helpful and always there if something was needed. the store is clean and organized. hours were fairly consistent on times you work! advancement is available. only reason i left was due to the birth of my child.
Not very organized, very shorthanded, management overbearing
Receiver specialist (Current Employee) –  TexasApril 25, 2016
Current employee soon to give two week notice. The training is horrific and the store is so understaffed and hours have been cut, but manager expects a small crew of 3 to 4 to put out the same as if fully staffed. Everyone is getting tired of all the garbage. Would not recommend anyone to apply here.
Pros
Cons
Overworked, too many to mention.
Constantly changing.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ely, MNApril 24, 2016
There was a large turnover of workers, being it is a college town. Managment seemed to change as well, which was quite confusing. It was a job, not one I stayed at long, becasue I received a job offer for another place. Glad to leave, but made some good friends.
Pros
easy work to catch on to
Cons
a lot of gossip

2.9