ShopKo Employee Reviews

Bad retail
General Merchandise Manager/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDJune 22, 2017
Just a high stress place to work. It is big box retail that chooses not to be competitive and wonder why they can't compete. The pricing is too high. The wages are too low, and there is no investment into infrastructure or updating old stores.
Pros
Management pay is decent
Cons
Pay for associates, work life balance, poor infrastructure and support
Great place to start to gain experience in loss prevention.
Loss Prevention Lead (manager) (Current Employee) –  Sioux City, IA 51104June 21, 2017
A typical day at work is trying to reduce shrink and help the store maximize profit. Loss prevention lead usually does the daily paperwork and prosecute shoplifters.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule
Cons
Pay
Productive and decent work place.
SALES FLOOR TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Alpine, TexasJune 21, 2017
Unloaded the truck with all the stores shipment in it. Stocked the shelves and back stocked any extra items. Learned how to take inventory. Great managers. Training was effective and efficient. Hardest thing to do was having to unload the truck due to heavy lifting. I enjoyed working for my managers because they gave me the blue print of what was needing to be done and weren't looking over my back every second.
Pros
Not a fast pace job.
Cons
Short lunch breaks.
it's a alright place to work.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIJune 19, 2017
Rules tend to change without being informed a lot, it is a decent place to work at. Co-workers are the best and tend to be very helpful. Customers are nice.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Typical Cashiering job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNJune 17, 2017
A day here was me showing up for the morning shift and typically standing around waiting for customers to approach my register. The amount of required dialouge I would need to make with customers often could anger customers who were impatient or didn't want any of the special offers. This job often varied between complete boredom of no customers and being required to stand there to being swamped with customers and being unable to receive help in handling the increased amount of customers or help to solve their questions.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Short breaks, management issues, hard to understand policies
Not a great job.
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIJune 17, 2017
The manager that I had was not that great. we would never get out on time. I would work to much and tried to do something about that but nobody would listen. I was always tired I was still in school while working and it was very stressful. Our manager was rude to us at times and never had an answer for us when we had questions.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
People, Manager
A steady job with good people.
General Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 17, 2017
Generally, you and everyone you work with hates their jobs, but that's a good thing. It makes cooperating easy, and therefor the job easy. The work it'self is tedious and uneventful, requiring minimal effort. *NOTE That the amount of effort put in above minimal does not directly correlate with job advancement.
Pros
You get 2, 15 minute breaks included in an 8 hour day.
Cons
your annual raise in a maintained position does not exceed 25c
Fun place to work.
Receiving Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORJune 14, 2017
Corporate very hard to deal with. Enjoy most of my co-workers, and the management team is very supportive and great to work with. Too bad the pay stinks. Especially after paying for healthcare.
Pros
Co-workers are like family. Supportive management team.
Cons
Erratic scheduling, no consistent yearly raises. Minimal opportunity for advancement.
Good job to have.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MNJune 13, 2017
Really flexible hours. Management is really willing to work with you along with really friendly co-workers. All around a relatively easy job, good culture to be around.
Pros
They will sometimes buy food for workers.
Very nice place to work. I truly enjoy each day going to work and the interactions with customers and team.
APPAREL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Houghton, MIJune 11, 2017
Excellent place to work. The Store Process Improvement has been implemented and there is many efficient processes that are in place. Training and mentoring new team members is beneficial for the associate and rewarding for the manager.
Productive place to work at
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MNJune 10, 2017
Management was nice, Great job to have while I was in College. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I got to work with people I went to college with
Alright for a temporary job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Perryton, TXJune 10, 2017
In some areas this may be a great place to work. The trainers who came in had good attitudes and were very positive which leaves me to think that in certain areas this company is not too bad.
In this area however, only certain types are employed and the company is not the best it can be.
Fun place to work with people
chashier (Current Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIJune 10, 2017
Shopko I a good job to gain experience with customer service.i helps u grow more and be kind and also hard working. I enjoy work with the employees at Shopko.
Pros
The employees
Cons
Short breaks
Great management and fun work!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAJune 9, 2017
It's a great place if you're looking for a first job. Not very reliable for adults with actual bills though. The scheduling was a little awkward and since they only hire people on part time its impossible to get decent benefits aside from a discount card. You get your schedule on thursday for sunday-saturday so you can't really plan your weekends well. Most people were helpful whenever needed.
Great place to work with lots of opportunity.
Store Manager/Company (Current Employee) –  Spanish Fork, UTJune 8, 2017
The most rewarding part of my position is training and development of managers for the company and to see how those I have developed or trained perform in their new setting.
Pros
Training & Development
Cons
Work life balance
Great starter job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Menasha, WIJune 8, 2017
This job is a very good and simple job that anyone can do. you get to meet many new people and get to know much more. just starting with cashiering can be intimidating, but it is fun after you get used to it. the best part of the job is seeing people that you may have not seen normally.
Pros
30 min lunches, and paid breaks.
Cons
part time hours.
Poorly managed, no advancement, low pay, unreasonable expextations, and mind numbingly dull
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Beaver Dam, WIJune 8, 2017
ShopKo is a decent place for a first or summer job but that is it. Management is uniformly poor. Low pay. Minimum training with lots of turnover. The stores are often devoid of customers except on weekends and the holidays. Even then it is slow compared to many other retailers. Training is virtually non existent now. A few years ago you spent the first 5 shifts with a trainer. Now you're thrown on the floor with nothing by register training. Management has unreasonable expectations of productivity, given that they are so vague with their instructions. Corporate policy changes constantly with half thought out promotional ideas. If you desperately need a job apply there they'll take anyone with a pulse, but anybody with greater aspirations or any competence leaves within a year.
Pros
Flexible schedule, decent coworkers
Cons
no advancement, low pay, poor management, little training
Flexible and close
Vendor Compliance (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJune 7, 2017
Shopko is a very relaxed slow paced business setting. I enjoy my work but no pay raises or bonuses to increase merit or equal cost of living increases.
loved lawn and garden
Unloader (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 6, 2017
My co workers were amazing! Management was okay....Every day was something different, Lawn and garden was always nice to work out in. I liked helping customers get what they need and liked being able to asst when I could! I did not agree that they did not look into every employee that was more than qualified for a promotion!!!!!!!! I did not like having to close the store and have to be back at 5 am. That was the worst part of my job!
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Crazy hours
Rarely Busy
Apparel Associate (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 6, 2017
Fun work environment easy work never cried much while I was working and had a overall good experience. Called in sick frequently and was never questioned.
Pros
lots of breaks
Cons
bad managemnent

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ShopKo. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9