ShopKo Employee Reviews

always advancements because they cant keep people
Supervisor (Current Employee), Kermit, TXJune 21, 2015
Pros: Always work available
Cons: everything else
The lack of communication leaves something to be desired. There are just not enough people to keep up with the work that is required and therefore leaving the people that do work hard to work even harder and get the raw end of the deal. They are always looking for new ways to blame someone for their lack of a better way of doing things, they are not open to suggestions and want everything in an exact way even if its not working. The air conditioning does not work in back, oh wait they don't have one in back!
Productive work place with with fun group activities
General Merchandise Salesperson (Current Employee), Beloit, WIJune 20, 2015
A typical day at work involves me being very productive. I learned to work with others. The managers are really good at what they do. I have the best co-workers there. The hardest part of the job is when your co-worker goes on break and your left alone. Fun part is when we go and get the carts from outside.
Shopko
Apparel Sales Associate (Former Employee), Shelby, MTJune 19, 2015
Pros: working with clothing, helping people find that perfect shirt
Cons: freight day working alone
-always fun
-how to organize clothing
-great management
-wonderful co-workers
-keeping everything picked up
-organizing all the racks
Bad Leadership
Seasonal Help (Former Employee), Fort Madison, IAJune 17, 2015
There is a lack of leadership with the Store manager and Front End manager.
Lack of correction in employees
Will not work with your schedule, unless favored with that manager.
Store manager will belittle you in front of customers.
Store manager will talk rudely with customers.
You will find managers in the training office playing and texting on their phones.
Good Store, Tolerable Company
Teammate (Former Employee), IDJune 10, 2015
I had an excellent store manager and my coworkers were phenomenal. Corporate however had lots of bad policies that made it a lot harder to accomplish good things at work. Many of their policies also harmed sales.
Very Productive, Busy, Easy Going
GM SALESFLOOR TEAMATE (Former Employee), Green Bay, WIJune 8, 2015
Pros: Breaks are amazing
Cons: none
The store is very busy during its clearance and lowest prices of the seasons but everyone has a cool head. The workers are very sociable and nice, if anything were to go wrong no one would over-react to have a meltdown.
fun. family oriented.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Boise, IDJune 8, 2015
did alot of organizing paperwork, helping customers with product knowledge and locating certain products. Opened all registers and frond end of store.
Managers don't care about the co-workers
apparel (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJune 7, 2015
Pros: getting along with co-workers
Cons: managers don't care about you, stupid pay, stupid people, stupid clothes, stupid fitting rooms
I was in apparel, I usually worked nights. When I tell them on a certain day I have to work in the morning, instead they don't schedule me to work. They usually have older people work mornings and younger people for nights. So the manager just sucks butt because they don't really care if you are even in school, they'll schedule whatever days they feel like it, Not flexible at all. But you'll meet some great co-workers, and that made me not want to quit. But I ended up quitting because I hate clothes, I hate people and I hate the managers. I don't know if they still do it, but what sucked is spacing the racks, the whole apparel section! Its only the night people who space racks, which really? WTF!? They are gonna get messed up anyways the next day!!
Friendly staff and good work environment
General Merchandise (Former Employee), Spanish Fork, UTJune 7, 2015
The title says it all. I really enjoyed working at Shopko, even just for the Christmas season. The supervisors and managers were very nice and they worked with you. It was a low stress job with a good environment.
A fun workplace that had a lot of energy
GM Salesfloor (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJune 4, 2015
I loved my co-workers at ShopKo, they were fun and energetic. I loved working in the back unloading the trucks and I liked helping out customers and receiving "thank you's" when I did something for them. The hardest part of the job was when it would get busy and I'd have 5-6 people asking me to help them.
I love my co workers they are all my age and i have made great friends
Salesfloor (Current Employee), West Jordan UtahJune 4, 2015
I don't like the management. The main managers are unfair and act like teenagers talking behind your back and trying to make it hard for you. After 2 years you get a 15 cent raise. $7.40 to $7.55. You get flexible hours it was easy though High School. How ever Black Friday and the holiday hours are horrible!!!! The only thing I like about this job is the friends I have made.
Great Co-Workers
GM SPEACIALIST (Current Employee), Green Bay, WIJune 2, 2015
My co-workers treat everyone fair and we all get along pretty well. We never let each other down. If someone needs help thers almost always a more experienced worker there to help assist.
a tipical day.
general merchandise /freight specialist (Former Employee), bountiful, utahJune 2, 2015
Pros: nice manegment
Cons: no breakes and a short lunch
come in at 5am and start freight and finish my 9am. go to the back to back stock any over stock and finish my 1pm. start and finish auto pull by 2pm. help any customers and associates if needed. make bails, pallet of bins, ex.
Confusing leadership
cashier (Current Employee), montanaMay 29, 2015
Pros: Friendly atmosphere
Cons: Disoriented leadership
Friendly employees and a good atmosphere but confused managers. Each telling you something different to do, simultaneously. Some have a habit of making you feel belittled. They seem "big headed" and have a lack of responsibility for rude tone and manner.
Extremely low pay, high workload
Ecommerce Operations Coordinator (Former Employee), Green Bay, WIMay 28, 2015
Pros: Jeans at the office
Cons: low pay, low vacation, high health insurance costs, no advancement, no training, poor leadership, poor management
The pay at Shopko is extremely low and not in line with the job duties. Although my job was problem solving, deep program knowledge, testing, customer service, requirements writing, project ownership, merchandising, SEO, and more; I was classified as "data entry" and paid as such. I made less than a customer service specialist makes. My rate of pay was not enough to support my family and while working at shopko I qualified for and received food stamps.

Job seekers, beware of promises of raises and promotions, these are non existent. I received one raise of .25 in my four years with the company. Make sure any compensation you accept is something you can live on for the next 50 years because Shopko is never going to raise it.

Of course, because the pay is so low and advancement does not exist, this means what employees actually do is simply leave within about 2 years. The whole corporate office is actually just a training ground for other retailers/competitors and area businesses. Shopko is an OK place to go if you can't find anything else. The good news is they will let you take on as much work as you want. Pad your resume, put some projects under your belt, and leave for a real employer for twice what you were making. The EMT program in particular is a great way to get ready for a career - somewhere else.

There were five rounds of layoffs in a 12 month period, the most recent being less than 4 months ago. This is a company that is opening new stores and growing its foot print aggressively while at the same time cutting the workforce. Things have fallen through the cracks and ultimately this isn't sustainable but it won't really matter because as described above you aren't going to actually stay with the company anyway.
decent pay, good benifits.
assistant store team leader (Former Employee), Rothschild, WIMay 27, 2015
Pros: good benifits, flexible hours
Cons: some relocation from time to time
many long hours during the holiday season, many nice quality employees, comfortable temperature controlled working environment, some flexibility with work schedule.
pretty good place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Provo, UTMay 26, 2015
pretty cool place to work. was my first job and it was fairly easy. the people there at the time were very friendly. sometimes i did not understand some of the procedures and would feel like i got in trouble.
Great first job
Cashier (Former Employee), Twin Falls, IDMay 26, 2015
This was my first job and I have a great experience working with him. Management is great. Hours were great. the people there are great to work with. I worked as a cashier and moved to various departments in the company within 4 years
Efficient and Productive work place
Cashier (Former Employee), Monticello, ILMay 22, 2015
Very productive store with a strive to continue to grow. Locally owned store where everyone knows everyone and it is very friendly
Not the best but isn't the worst either...
Apparel Sales Associate (Former Employee), Manitowoc, WIMay 20, 2015
Pros: Fair teammate discounts, 15 minute breaks, guaranteed time request off (if submitted two weeks prior), flexible hours
Cons: Low hourly wage, work on weekends and holidays, understaffed
It started off great. I was looking for a job and I received a phone call shortly after I turned in an application online. I got hired just a few days after my interview, with no experience in retail. The people who trained me were very friendly and helpful though they left out a few useful things.

Within the next few months, I began to dread coming to work. There were days it was super busy and days there was absolutely nothing to do. I wasn't greeted by some teammates the way I greeted them. Though I got along well with with my co-workers, some of them stood around and talked while I was running around working and assisting customers. "STAR" courtesy was a pain because I had to drop whatever I was working on and hop onto a cash register. Sometimes, I would be stuck checking customers out for 10+ minutes, giving me little time to finish my projects. Management was alright. There were a few disagreements and miscommunication between some of the managers.

This job was easy, fast-paced, and simple but I decided to quit without giving a two-week notice because I had bigger dreams to achieve. I would recommend this for teenagers who are looking to make a little money on the side while going to school. It's a pretty good intro. into the retail business. Otherwise, invest your time in a better paying job.
Headquarters