ShopKo Employee Reviews in United States

A Busy and Challenging Workplace
Assistant Pharmacy Manager (Current Employee) –  Plover, WISeptember 13, 2015
Challenging workplace with very competent and efficient management at the pharmacy level. The pharmacy has enormous potential regarding prescription volume, cognitive services, pharmaceutical care, and community impact. However, there is much room for improvement in the areas of corporate support and communication, as well as the quality of the information systems. As a community pharmacist for Shopko, I have enjoyed working with the customers the most. There is so much more to learn about effective patient consultation and interaction.
Pros
The Customers, My Team mates, My Pharmacist Manager
Cons
Corporate and Regional Management
Constantly changing.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ely, MNApril 24, 2016
There was a large turnover of workers, being it is a college town. Managment seemed to change as well, which was quite confusing. It was a job, not one I stayed at long, becasue I received a job offer for another place. Glad to leave, but made some good friends.
Pros
easy work to catch on to
Cons
a lot of gossip
Overall a great college student job.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dowagiac, MIJanuary 30, 2016
This company has its priorities all mixed up. We have been through five managers in the last three years and one District Manager. Some days are fun but most are full of childish drama. Also you are expected to work your hardest at all times but never have enough time to meet expectations. It is a minimum wage job with rare pay increases.
Not worth your time
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Beatrice, NEApril 9, 2016
The pay is horrible
You do not get your breaks
Management gets Upset with you if you need help from them ( One manager who is old and she has been there forever was so Slow at doing things n Very Very Hateful even to the Customer's
Pros
It wws nice having the discount
Fun and Exciting work environment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chubbuck, IDNovember 12, 2014
This was my first job not working in some sort of food environment. I worked at the checkout lines and learned a whole new set of skills. Things like good customer service, money handling, keeping an eye out for shoplifters, fraudulent checks, and more.
Management was great, they listened and taught me a lot. My co-workers were fun and always tried to find ways to make the day better. The hardest thing I had to to was learning good customer service. I had no idea how to deal with difficult customers and I learned a lot of what I know the hard way. What I did like about my job was that it was stable, fun, and I had great discounts.
Pros
employee discounts, fun work environment, good managment
Cons
no benifits
Horrible place to work
customer service specialist (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORNovember 15, 2015
This was the worst place I have ever worked at. The employees were awesome! The only thing that was good. Managment is absolutely terrible. Very little training. Constantly yelled at for things that I was never informed on. Scheduling was absolutly terrible as well. No working around anything else in your life.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Management, scheduling, pay
Awful hours and Management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDFebruary 21, 2016
The management was very pushy and forced me to work more than I wanted. I was a student at the time and they were over working me.
A wonderful First job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Escanaba, MIOctober 8, 2015
Shopko was most likely my favorite job I ever had. It was my first job. Although it was tough finally coming into the real world as a single teenage mother. But given those circumstances it only made me work harder, and this job was easy to thrive in. I set and achieved goals with the company that I never thought id achieve. It was a wonderful job setting among wonderful people.
Pros
Close to hom
a fun place to work
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNOctober 3, 2015
I would clock in @ 5:00 A.M. each morning and we would unload Semis if needed - otherwise we would walk through the store and see what shelves needed to be stocked and then load pallets and start stocking. At 9:0 A.M. the store opened and then we loaded merchandise for customers as needed while we still were stocking merchandise from carts to the shelves .
Pros
room for advancement through hard work and they take time to recognize outstanding employees
Cons
lots of 16 to 18 year old kids
Nice coworkers
Apparel Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTDecember 19, 2015
No room for advancement and managers had bad attitudes. nice hours, but low wage. very easy work, relaxed work environment
Pros
flexable hours
Cons
negitive environment
Shopko is a good company to work for, except for the lack of communication amoung management.
Freight and Sales Floor teammate (Current Employee) –  Rothschild, WIMay 18, 2015
Management does not communicate well to other managers or employees. Different managers give orders that conflict the other which causes confusion. Also, Shopko does not offer much room for advancement within the company and does not offer competitive wages.

Despite these issues, I very much so enjoy unloading truck and the feeling of accomplishment that comes along with it. I enjoy the strenuous labor.
Pros
Simple, flexible hours, and
Cons
To easy, repetative, not challenging enough, to slow paced
A lot of nice people and friendly environment
Crew member (Former Employee) –  Tomahawk, WIJanuary 21, 2016
I learned to work more independently and get things done without a manager having to tell me.
My co-workers were friendly and helped me when I needed assistance.
Pros
took break as pleased, a lot of free food in the break room, easy communication between coworkers and supervisors
Cons
Wasn't completely trained on everything
Successful
General Sales Manager, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 13, 2016
I managed the floor, and ran the cash-register. I organized the toys. I priced the items with a merchandise gun.

The co-workers were nice.

I enjoyed being a role-model to the co-workers.

I learned not to get to attached with my job.
Pros
I made friends with the employees
Cons
The equipment was overwhelming
Shopko is Amazing
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Imlay City, MIApril 27, 2016
Management was very helpful and always there if something was needed. the store is clean and organized. hours were fairly consistent on times you work! advancement is available. only reason i left was due to the birth of my child.
Best Job
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Beloit, WIJanuary 8, 2015
Shopko is by far the best place I have worked. Everyone was treated like family and the atmosphere was enjoyable. I worked here for a little over two years and I started out making $7.25 as an Apparel associate, a year later I moved up to the front end and became a cashier and shortly after that I went to the service desk and shortly after moving up to the service desk in May of 2014 I became the Customer Service Supervisor. I left this job because my fiancé got a job opportunity in Iowa so that's why I had to leave Shopko and move to Iowa.
Pros
coworkers, managers, benefits, pay
Cons
nothing
Shopko was a fun environment and has very helpful coworkers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, NEAugust 11, 2015
I worked for seasonal so it was typically pretty busy. I learned to ring up customer's items in a decent amount of time and how to handle cash in a busy time of the year. Management helped out a lot when needed. Coworkers were always there to help when something either needed to be found out, or gotten for a customer. The hardest part I believe would have been making sure that things rang up at the correct prices and make sure customer's with a shopko card information was correct. I liked this job because the customers and my employees were very understanding and had patience with me.
Pros
Having patient coworkers and customers
Cons
having to work at a fast pace and not end up messing up the change for a customer.
Good for Second Job
Receiving Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waupaca, WIMay 8, 2015
This company is great for a college or high school student looking for employment. Retirees, except they will work you to death with very minimal pay. Benefits are minimal and extremely expensive.
Good high school job
Sales Floor Associate (part-time) (Former Employee) –  North Platte, NEMay 20, 2016
My tie here was long, but it was a very good high school job. I enjoyed the fast-pace environment and helping people. I gained customer service skills and learned how to work with a team.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Bend, WIApril 16, 2016
A typical day would include helping customers check out, and making sure that they have a ShopKo card.
Management was very orderly and the coworkers were very kind and easy to work and get along with.
No advancement options
GM Sales Floor (Former Employee) –  Rhinelander, WIApril 23, 2015
Not a terrible employer but with no pay raises and such a work work work mentality, it becomes a job very quickly with no reward.