Shorter University Employee Reviews

Shorter University is a great school and a great place to work.
Accounts Receivable / Student Accounts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAJune 21, 2016
A typical day is busy. However, it is fulfilling in knowing that I am able to help students accomplish their goals and ambitions.
Productive and Great Environment
Assistant Secretary of Music (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAMay 9, 2016
The people that I worked with were so wonderful! Everyone had an amazing attitude, and made even the dreariest days so much better. I learned a lot about what it takes to run an entire music department, and the struggles that some of the faculty and staff have to go through on a day-to-day basis. But, it also inspired me to become the best person and employee that I could be. The hardest part of the job was trying to balance it with all of my school work and my extra-curricular activities. The most enjoyable part of the job was being introduced to all of the amazing talent and sparkling personalities of the students and faculty everyday.
Decent place to work, but no job security
Dean's Assistant, College of Business (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAJuly 15, 2015
A typical day consisted of arriving at work at 8:30 and completing clerical tasks, meetings, etc. until 5:00 p.m. I learned many aspects of higher education. Management war fair. My co-workers were great. My job was not difficult at all, and I enjoyed my clerical duties, and interaction with co-workers and helping students.
Great small group of individuals who work well together in a team setting
Director, Operations (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAJune 19, 2015
As Director, Operations, a typical day would include travel to and/or talking to my location directors to talk about challenges going on at their location and what would need to be adjusted to improve process. I have learned that being open and available is key in making the relationships between the locations work seamlessly. The management team works very independently so therefore I felt the need to be more hands on with my team to be in the know. The staff I hired works well as a team. We are a small family that truly cares about each others success. The hardest part of the job, the constant following up of the students. Coincidentally, the most enjoyable part of the job is following up with the students, checking on their progress and getting them ready for graduation. They love the support and I love to give it to them.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
travel
The HR office was busy and always productive
Student Accts. & Human Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAJune 16, 2015
Human Resources was the most rewarding job I have had. Tommy Curtis and Teresa McPherson are awesome supervisors. I learned alot in my short time there and I would go back and work for them if possible. The atmosphere in our office was always calm, the hardest part of my job was having to relay bad news to students or prospective candidates for employment. I was excited to go to work every day.
Pros
Relaxed but proffessional atmospher
Cons
Changing culture to align with Christian values
Assistant Dean of Students (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAMarch 29, 2015
Good institution. Ever changing due to the administration making drastic changes to the culture to align with Christian values. With that demands a lot of extra work and resources.
Wonderful research position
Lead Researcher (Former Employee) –  Rome,GaMarch 10, 2015
I enjoyed gaining experience as a researcher at Shorter University.
I learned about how to make chemical solutions and how identify fish embryo development.
Pros
learning about fish embryonic development
Previous family environment was great
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAAugust 3, 2014
Wonderful people to work with, but company was sold to another business & moved to another city.
Great until new "judgmental" president took over.
Administrative Assistant to the Dean (Former Employee) –  NursingMay 8, 2014
Great students, faculty, and staff. Shorter took a turn for the worse when a new president took over and began judging employees. Over 100+ faculty and staff left upon his arrival.
Carmike Cinemas
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAApril 2, 2014
Working in a fast paced movie theater, dealing with all kinds of customers creates great customer service skills.
Decision making, Problem solving, fulfilling position
Advisor/Test Admin/Transcript Evaluator (Former Employee) –  North AtlantaMarch 19, 2014
Interfaced with student body to advise academically.
How to build good relationships with people from all walks of life.
Managing people required good problem solving, decision making, relationship building, listening and analytical skills.
Worked very well with all. The hardest part of the job was when a student had a death of a close relative and felt the need to quit the program. Watching people grow and achieve as a result of our combined efforts.
Pros
the success of each individual who made a decision to run the course
Cons
watching individuals make bad decisions
Asst Professor in Management
Assistant Professor in Management (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAJanuary 31, 2014
I like the flexibility of working at Shorter University. I go on campus when I have to teach my classes and also plan my office hours the same day as well.
Pros
great work/life balance
Cons
lack of communication from management
It's a job
Employee (senior management level) (Current Employee) –  Rome, GAJanuary 11, 2014
I use to enjoy my job and going to work, however, now it's very difficult and gives me panic attacks. The current administration uses intimidation and retaliation to run the universiity. Most of their employees are scared of losing their job and and VERY stressed out. Nepotism runs rampant; it is a common occurrence for unqualified people to be hired for upper management level positions that were never posted or existed before they were hired. I pray that the university can bounce back because it once was a great school that had the support of the community and their employees enjoyed working their. DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE COMING HERE!
Pros
frequent days off. great students
Cons
having accreditation issues most of the administration is unqualified nepotism low pay
Product Place to Work
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Rome, GADecember 25, 2013
Good benefits - they take entirely to long concerning faculty reappointments, waiting until April/May annually.
If you are interested in a stringent Christian environment then this is the place for you.
Administrative Assistant to the Dean (Former Employee) –  Rome, GANovember 21, 2013
I would rather refrain from making a review of this University.
sterling reputation and reviews are dated. By instituting a Lifestyle/Faith Code, they ran off 80+ professors jeoparding their accredidation.
Instructor, Communication (Former Employee) –  Rome, GANovember 15, 2013
What once deserved a sterling reputation for their music program and pre-med sciences, as well as humanities, this institution has become totally athletic centered. Accredidation is in jeopardy.
Pros
beautiful campus
Cons
current administration
Work-Study Job
Dept. Ast./Social Media Manager (Theatre Dept) (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAAugust 23, 2013
I learned more working this temporary work-study job than I have on any other job. As someone who aspires to one day manage my own theatre company, the projects I worked on for Shorter's theatre department were invaluable. I created a Facebook & Twitter account for the department, and within the first year attracted over 100 "Likes" to the Facebook page. I spent a lot of time creating photo albums of past Shorter productions & creating Event pages & mass messages for our followers to keep abreast of all that was happening within the department. Beyond my social media duties, I also ran publicity for the department. I kept a detailed calendar of every date I needed to keep track of for press releases, director's program notes, campus-wide TV announcements, and sending the final programs (which I created in Microsoft Publisher) to the printer in time for opening night. The best part was challenging myself to try something different every time, in regards to the programs. I started the season with one look for the programs, and by the end of the season I had developed an cleaner, more streamlined (and therefore printer-friendly) format for production programs.

I also spent my first year in this job compiling a database of prospective students and every high school in GA with connections to the International Thespian Society. This information was used for recruitment purposes until our departmental recruitment efforts were abandoned.
Pros
multiple learning opportunities, computer-based work, seeing my final product (the programs) in the hands of our audiences
Cons
limited resources meant not every idea i had could be realized
Assistant Lacrosse Coach (Current Employee) –  Rome, GAJuly 27, 2013
Help manage team operations on a day to day basis including: Academic management, practice planning, player development, recruiting, administrative duties, and game day preparations.
Shorter
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Rome GAJanuary 7, 2013
A great place to work, lots of time off and freedom to do your work. Very little micro mgnt. The downside is; the pay stinks, benefits are mediocre and nepotism is rampant. Hard to move up unless your are a friend, neighbor or family.
Productive and fun work environment with friendly coworkers
Science Department Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rome, GAApril 9, 2012
A typical day at work, would be walking into the office in the morning and doing my daily routine run to the post office and throughout the day assist the professors in the laboratories and ran errands in the main office. I have learned how to be hardworking, diligent and be myself by working here. The professors were also very helpful in teaching me life skills as well as increasing my knowledge in the scientific world. The hardest part of the job was going to work during finals and mid-terms while trying to study for the tests. the most enjoyable part of the job was working in the laboratory with new equipment and learning how to use it.
Pros
flexible schedule, work environment was also learning enviornment

2.9