Shorter University

Shorter University Employer Reviews

Great until new "judgmental" president took over.
Administrative Assistant to the Dean (Former Employee), NursingMay 8, 2014
Great students, faculty, and staff. Shorter took a turn for the worse when a new president took over and began judging employees. Over 100+ faculty and staff left upon his arrival.
Carmike Cinemas
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Rome, GAApril 2, 2014
Working in a fast paced movie theater, dealing with all kinds of customers creates great customer service skills.
Decision making, Problem solving, fulfilling position
Advisor/Test Admin/Transcript Evaluator (Former Employee), North AtlantaMarch 19, 2014
Pros: the success of each individual who made a decision to run the course
Cons: watching individuals make bad decisions
Interfaced with student body to advise academically.
How to build good relationships with people from all walks of life.
Managing people required good problem solving, decision making, relationship building, listening and analytical skills.
Worked very well with all. The hardest part of the job was when a student had a death of a close relative and – more... felt the need to quit the program. Watching people grow and achieve as a result of our combined efforts. – less
Asst Professor in Management
Assistant Professor in Management (Current Employee), Duluth, GAJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: great work/life balance
Cons: lack of communication from management
I like the flexibility of working at Shorter University. I go on campus when I have to teach my classes and also plan my office hours the same day as well.
It's a job
Employee (senior management level) (Current Employee), Rome, GAJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: frequent days off. great students
Cons: having accreditation issues most of the administration is unqualified nepotism low pay
I use to enjoy my job and going to work, however, now it's very difficult and gives me panic attacks. The current administration uses intimidation and retaliation to run the universiity. Most of their employees are scared of losing their job and and VERY stressed out. Nepotism runs rampant; it is a common occurrence for unqualified people to be hired – more... for upper management level positions that were never posted or existed before they were hired. I pray that the university can bounce back because it once was a great school that had the support of the community and their employees enjoyed working their. DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE COMING HERE! – less
Product Place to Work
Assistant Professor (Current Employee), Rome, GADecember 25, 2013
Good benefits - they take entirely to long concerning faculty reappointments, waiting until April/May annually.
If you are interested in a stringent Christian environment then this is the place for you.
Administrative Assistant to the Dean (Former Employee), Rome, GANovember 21, 2013
I would rather refrain from making a review of this University.
sterling reputation and reviews are dated. By instituting a Lifestyle/Faith Code, they ran off 80+ professors jeoparding their accredidation.
Instructor, Communication (Former Employee), Rome, GANovember 15, 2013
Pros: beautiful campus
Cons: current administration
What once deserved a sterling reputation for their music program and pre-med sciences, as well as humanities, this institution has become totally athletic centered. Accredidation is in jeopardy.
Work-Study Job
Dept. Ast./Social Media Manager (Theatre Dept) (Former Employee), Rome, GAAugust 23, 2013
Pros: multiple learning opportunities, computer-based work, seeing my final product (the programs) in the hands of our audiences
Cons: limited resources meant not every idea i had could be realized
I learned more working this temporary work-study job than I have on any other job. As someone who aspires to one day manage my own theatre company, the projects I worked on for Shorter's theatre department were invaluable. I created a Facebook & Twitter account for the department, and within the first year attracted over 100 "Likes" to the Facebook – more... page. I spent a lot of time creating photo albums of past Shorter productions & creating Event pages & mass messages for our followers to keep abreast of all that was happening within the department. Beyond my social media duties, I also ran publicity for the department. I kept a detailed calendar of every date I needed to keep track of for press releases, director's program notes, campus-wide TV announcements, and sending the final programs (which I created in Microsoft Publisher) to the printer in time for opening night. The best part was challenging myself to try something different every time, in regards to the programs. I started the season with one look for the programs, and by the end of the season I had developed an cleaner, more streamlined (and therefore printer-friendly) format for production programs.

I also spent my first year in this job compiling a database of prospective students and every high school in GA with connections to the International Thespian Society. This information was used for recruitment purposes until our departmental recruitment efforts were abandoned. – less
Assistant Lacrosse Coach (Current Employee), Rome, GAJuly 27, 2013
Help manage team operations on a day to day basis including: Academic management, practice planning, player development, recruiting, administrative duties, and game day preparations.
Shorter
Anonymous (Current Employee), Rome GAJanuary 7, 2013
A great place to work, lots of time off and freedom to do your work. Very little micro mgnt. The downside is; the pay stinks, benefits are mediocre and nepotism is rampant. Hard to move up unless your are a friend, neighbor or family.
Productive and fun work environment with friendly coworkers
Science Department Assistant (Current Employee), Rome, GAApril 9, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule, work environment was also learning enviornment
A typical day at work, would be walking into the office in the morning and doing my daily routine run to the post office and throughout the day assist the professors in the laboratories and ran errands in the main office. I have learned how to be hardworking, diligent and be myself by working here. The professors were also very helpful in teaching me – more... life skills as well as increasing my knowledge in the scientific world. The hardest part of the job was going to work during finals and mid-terms while trying to study for the tests. the most enjoyable part of the job was working in the laboratory with new equipment and learning how to use it. – less