Shorter University Employee Reviews

The Newbie
Academic Counselor (Current Employee) –  Rome, GAJuly 11, 2017
I feel as if I have worked here for years. I believe that anyone could feel welcomed here at Shorter. If you need a secure job and are happy working with students, this would be a place to look!
Terrible Administration
Coach (Current Employee) –  Rome, GAJune 7, 2017
The administration has a stranglehold on the athletic department. Coaches were getting fired, programs dropped and little communication about any of it occurring.
great place
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 24, 2017
great environment, great co workers, low pay due to the size of the university but I got a chance to help several departments in shorter university because of the school size.
Great school, did not work there attended school
Compliance Specialist/Leasing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 19, 2017
As an adult returning to school it was a great experience, the professors were helpful and the teams were superb. I was a student at Shorter University, I was not employed there.
Amazing Christ-centered school
Graduate Assistant of Student Life (Current Employee) –  Rome, GAJanuary 11, 2017
I loved spending my college career here at Shorter University. I'm from Frederick, Maryland, and I was recruited to play golf at Shorter University. Throughout my undergraduate career, I joined a number of organizations. A couple of these are Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity and Order of Omega Honors Society. I was also involved with a number of student leadership positions. These included; Resident Advisor, Resident Director, Shorter Ambassador, Student Government Association, and I was a part of the Shorter Orientation Staff! I am currently working as the Graduate Assistant of Student Life while obtaining my Masters of Business Administration. I have loved Shorter throughout all of these years and coming here has led me to Christ!
Pros
Christ-centered
Flexible
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 19, 2016
I enjoyed working at Shorter University. The adult learners were eager to learn. I liked working one night per week. The administrators were very helpful.
Going down fast
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Rome, GANovember 15, 2016
The top level management is not doing good things for the school. Most people at other colleges and universities around the GA area believe SU will no longer be around in the next 5-10 years.
Pros
The people are great to work with!
Cons
There is always trash around the campus.
Shorter University is a great school and a great place to work.
Accounts Receivable / Student Accounts Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAJune 21, 2016
A typical day is busy. However, it is fulfilling in knowing that I am able to help students accomplish their goals and ambitions.
Productive and Great Environment
Assistant Secretary of Music (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAMay 9, 2016
The people that I worked with were so wonderful! Everyone had an amazing attitude, and made even the dreariest days so much better. I learned a lot about what it takes to run an entire music department, and the struggles that some of the faculty and staff have to go through on a day-to-day basis. But, it also inspired me to become the best person and employee that I could be. The hardest part of the job was trying to balance it with all of my school work and my extra-curricular activities. The most enjoyable part of the job was being introduced to all of the amazing talent and sparkling personalities of the students and faculty everyday.
Not as good as it once was.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAJanuary 11, 2016
While working with the football team 1 and a half years the last six months changed from the first year because of new management. I think it got worse than it getting better.
Decent place to work, but no job security
Dean's Assistant, College of Business (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAJuly 15, 2015
A typical day consisted of arriving at work at 8:30 and completing clerical tasks, meetings, etc. until 5:00 p.m. I learned many aspects of higher education. Management war fair. My co-workers were great. My job was not difficult at all, and I enjoyed my clerical duties, and interaction with co-workers and helping students.
Great small group of individuals who work well together in a team setting
Director, Operations (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAJune 19, 2015
As Director, Operations, a typical day would include travel to and/or talking to my location directors to talk about challenges going on at their location and what would need to be adjusted to improve process. I have learned that being open and available is key in making the relationships between the locations work seamlessly. The management team works very independently so therefore I felt the need to be more hands on with my team to be in the know. The staff I hired works well as a team. We are a small family that truly cares about each others success. The hardest part of the job, the constant following up of the students. Coincidentally, the most enjoyable part of the job is following up with the students, checking on their progress and getting them ready for graduation. They love the support and I love to give it to them.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
travel
The HR office was busy and always productive
Student Accts. & Human Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAJune 16, 2015
Human Resources was the most rewarding job I have had. Tommy Curtis and Teresa McPherson are awesome supervisors. I learned alot in my short time there and I would go back and work for them if possible. The atmosphere in our office was always calm, the hardest part of my job was having to relay bad news to students or prospective candidates for employment. I was excited to go to work every day.
Pros
Relaxed but proffessional atmospher
Cons
Changing culture to align with Christian values
Assistant Dean of Students (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAMarch 29, 2015
Good institution. Ever changing due to the administration making drastic changes to the culture to align with Christian values. With that demands a lot of extra work and resources.
Wonderful research position
Lead Researcher (Former Employee) –  Rome,GaMarch 10, 2015
I enjoyed gaining experience as a researcher at Shorter University.
I learned about how to make chemical solutions and how identify fish embryo development.
Pros
Learning about fish embryonic development
Previous family environment was great
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAAugust 3, 2014
Wonderful people to work with, but company was sold to another business & moved to another city.
Great until new "judgmental" president took over.
Administrative Assistant to the Dean (Former Employee) –  NursingMay 8, 2014
Great students, faculty, and staff. Shorter took a turn for the worse when a new president took over and began judging employees. Over 100+ faculty and staff left upon his arrival.
Carmike Cinemas
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAApril 2, 2014
Working in a fast paced movie theater, dealing with all kinds of customers creates great customer service skills.
Decision making, Problem solving, fulfilling position
Advisor/Test Admin/Transcript Evaluator (Former Employee) –  North AtlantaMarch 19, 2014
Interfaced with student body to advise academically.
How to build good relationships with people from all walks of life.
Managing people required good problem solving, decision making, relationship building, listening and analytical skills.
Worked very well with all. The hardest part of the job was when a student had a death of a close relative and felt the need to quit the program. Watching people grow and achieve as a result of our combined efforts.
Pros
The success of each individual who made a decision to run the course
Cons
Watching individuals make bad decisions
Asst Professor in Management
Assistant Professor in Management (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAJanuary 31, 2014
I like the flexibility of working at Shorter University. I go on campus when I have to teach my classes and also plan my office hours the same day as well.
Pros
Great work/life balance
Cons
Lack of communication from Management