Shriners Hospitals for Children

Shriners Hospitals for Children Employer Reviews

bizarre culture; poor communication; negative work atmosphere
Development (Former Employee), Houston/GalvestonDecember 16, 2014
Pros: houston board is fun; children in need receive help
Cons: hospital too small, poor leadership, little to no communication, negative work atmosphere, little knowledge about fundraising
fearful of hiring people who are experts in their field. Very negative atmosphere preventing individuals from expressing their real feelings.
Will let you work yourself to death with no support. Communication is almost non existent and superficial. The Corporate Office believes that they have all the answers and finds feedback to be offensive and tends to be retaliatory.
Local Administrators afraid of Corporate office and frequently doesn't follow on what is the right thing to do for fear of retaliation.
Weak leadership overall.
poor management
Patient Insurance Coordinator (Former Employee), portland oregon 97086November 26, 2014
Pros: good benefit
Cons: poor management
DO NOT WORK AT DME Orthotic and Prosthetic Dep in Portland Oregon
the manager in O&P in Portland and the Tampa Director are D**SH bag ..
typical work day is Monday - Friday 9-5 5 days
what I learned is some people are good and kind others back stab ..
if you have been there 5, 10, 15, years or know someone, or mother who brings their child at Shriners Hospital for treatment then your IN .. either that its hard for a new person to break in and be accepted ..
I LOVE the kids "it's very rewording "that it's all"
very rewarding but advancement is not supported
CNA (Current Employee), Portland, ORJuly 23, 2014
Pros: free parking, benefits, kids and families
Cons: ambition not supported
I love this job and actually look forward to going to work every day. But i was confronted for being to confident in my skills (ummm maybe cause I know what I'm doing? ) also I was told learning and absorbing information from nurses that weren't part of my specific tasks was making the nursing staff uncomfortable. In my opinion they would only be uncomfortable if they weren't confident in their abilities. .. overall a great place to just come and do just enough to get by, but nothing above and beyond.
Wonderful people to work with
Senior Certified Pharmacy Technician, Part-time (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHJune 17, 2014
Perform all duties to assist the pharmacists including clerical work
Social Worker
Director of Transition Services/ Care Coordinator (Former Employee), HoustonJune 4, 2014
Cons: the social work manager there is an idiot! save your time!
DO NOT WORK HERE! The current social work manager is a complete idiot. She came from a school setting and knows nothing about hospital social work. If you want to be micromanaged and treated like an infant, go there. If you take your career seriously, do NOT go there.
Very dedicated nursing staff
Staff RN, CNOR-Circulator and Scrub (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHMay 29, 2014
Very rewarding place to work. Develop relationship with children due to multiple reconstruction surgeries throughout their lifetime.
Love to the rescue
Radiologic Technologist/Student Educator (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 29, 2014
Pros: patients and their families.
Cons: job growth
My patients gave me more than what I gave them.
Each exam was a learning experience due to the fact it was non-traditional procedures.
I learned how to work closely with patients whom had physical and cognitive disabilities.
My job enhanced my personal and professional skills as a Radiologic Technologist.
Poor leadership high layoff rate Org is losing money
Nursing (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OhioMarch 27, 2014
Pros: health care insurance and pto
Cons: on the down cline
Leadership has changed for the worst they have been let go and new are on-boarding. Low paying but rewarding when it comes to the children. No movement or advancement unless you want to travel and cover three hospitals for higher level positions. Definitely not the place the Shrine men and woman would want or even know about.
I predict several hospitals will be closing due to low census and no nitch
Lovely Place to help children
Rehabilitation Volunteer (Current Employee), Tampa, FloridaMarch 23, 2014
Help physical therapist as directed during treatment sessions.
Entertain children when request to do so.
Transport patients to and from nursing unit.
the most enjoyable for of the job is working and spending time with children with mental and physical disorder
Very poor management in nursing!!!!'
Nurse (Former Employee), SpokaneMarch 15, 2014
Pros: free parking
Cons: if you call in sick be prepared for many phone called!!
Nurses and staff are treated extremely poorly by nursing management! Play co-workers against each other then sit back and enjoys watching the conflict! The 3rd and 4 th floor supervisor unde educated and wouldn't know how to provide nursing care if she had to!! DNS is old and very crabby has no life and enjoys conflict !! If that's what you want in your life you will enjoy working at Shriners!!
Rewarding.
Social Worker (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 5, 2014
Pros: small hospital, intimate setting
Cons: currently in a state of transition
A teaching hospital, Shriners offers many learning opportunities. They have a fabulous cafeteria, friendly staff, low turnover rate. The work environment is relatively stress free.
fun place to work at.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), los angeles,caFebruary 18, 2014
I got to work with the kids and there nutrition. I worked the register in the cafeteria was able to meat the hospital crew. On certain days i ordered the office supplies sorted mail and filed paperwork.
Low morale & little chance for movement within the organization
Patient care (Former Employee), PhiladelphiaJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: the children & families.
Cons: healthcare, lack of staffing, poor management
Poor management leadership and low morale in every area of the institution . There is no push for education or self improvement. The amount of cutting corners that is done is scarey & the lack of staff has one department responsible for several.
A very good place to work.
Director, Materials Management (Former Employee), Spokane, WADecember 3, 2013
This was a very professionally satisfying place of employment.
Productive Workplace Dedicated to Patient Care
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 21, 2013
Pros: free parking, great benefits
Cons: expensive cafeteria
A typical day at work included preparing operating room for procedures. I had to pull each case cart and make sure the correct supplies were on each cart. I created the sterile field by opening supplies in a sterile manner and proceeded to set the room up. I had to gown and glove myself, the surgeon, and assistants. I had to pay close attention and made sure to have what the surgeon needed. I learned how to function as a team player and how to remain calm under pressure. My coworkers were very dedicated to helping one another and getting the job done. Management was not very hands on. The hardest part of my job was preparing for the unexpected. Your day could be going smoothly and all of a sudden it go south for a number of reasons. The most enjoyable part of my job was contributing to someone's life for the greater good.
PNP (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: family centered care
Shriners Hospitals for Children is a great place to work. I worked in Philadelphia for >20 years and enjoyed all of time working there.
Very rewarding place to work
Oracle Database Administrator (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: great working environment
Good benefits, decent pay, great working environment, socially rewarding experience.
great team work, longevity of employees, nice perks
Transitions Care Coordinator (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHDecember 4, 2012
Pros: flexibility, get environment, easy commute from home, good benefits
Cons: glass ceiling, changes in delivery of services
Seeing patient & families
meetings with staff regarding patients & scheduling
close knit staff
Manager of 2 departments, coordinator & participator of scheduling patient reintegrations back into their community & school
Chairperson of 3 committees

hardest part of job-seeing the devastation of burn injuries
most enjoyable-the opportunity to work with patients until they are 21
Computer Tech
Computer Tech (Current Employee), Spokane, WAOctober 2, 2012
Pros: flexibility
Cons: small company. no room for growth.
We are responsible for all computer related items in the building.
Mission Driven Workplace with Caring Employees
Director of Human Resources (Current Employee), Boston, MAAugust 15, 2012
Pros: very inexpensive cafeteria, discounted parking, worklife balance
The most enjoyable part of working at Shriners Hospitals for Children is being able to see and talk to the patients as they walk through the halls and tell them how beautiful or how "cool" they look... even when they are covered with scars from burns all over their bodies... I have learned how strong kids truly are. I may not provide direct patient care, but that is one way I am able to "touch" our patients...