Shutterfly

Shutterfly Employee Reviews

Great company
Production Designer (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCJanuary 8, 2014
The training program was two weeks. They feed you a lot of information about the company in a short period of time. There is a lot to digest.

They do not plan everything correctly. For instance, they put the time clocks inside the production area. This creates so much traffic that the large 9 foot solid wooden door slam every 5 seconds throughout the entire day. They had one group use i3 processors which put that entire group as at a disadvantage in productivity.

The work is good. They give you all the tools and software necessary to do your job. At times can feel very zen like (except for those darn doors and time clocks OMG!)

They send you progress reports on your mistakes and how many orders you completed and per hour. However, there is a disconnect between a high level of quality vs. a ton of quantity. At this company the curves do not mesh well and if you do a really good job, it looks like you are not doing your job on your weekly progress report. Dumb.

Their numbers were down this year. If Shutterfly focused more on a maintaining an actual high quality product, they would get more repeat business. They say customer first, but actually it is get 110 orders done in a day with zero mistakes. There is no way to put the customer first when you have 6 minutes or less to get their order down correctly. Make one change and there goes your time. Go out of your way to help a customer in need and there goes your numbers. They lost sight if being a startup company and what their motto really is.

This company strings their temps along. Chews em up and spits them out when they
  more... are through with them. They get you in there to help them through their holiday crunch time which is 50% of their business. And the end of your term, the trainers and full-time employees barely talk to you. You can sense when you are a dead man walking. They let go 75% of their temps in fatal swoop.  less
Pros
great work environment
Cons
poor healthcare for seasonal workers, unobtainable goals, setup for failure.
Shutterfly Technician
Digital Press Technician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCFebruary 10, 2015
I worked 3rd shift which is the weekend shift (Friday-Sunday, 6 AM to 6 PM). A typical day while I was working on the IGens would consist of 3 or 4 pm's, cleaning and rebuilding several worn components and assuring that the presses are running properly without any problems in print quality. When I worked on the HP Indigos, I would have 1 to 3 pm's, depending on if I had a web feed or sheet feed press. I would do 2-4 waste runs and assist the senior technicians in repairs. I learned much about what goes into making their cards and photo books. I was able to use some of the skills that I know on computers to accomplish tasks there that I wouldn't get to use much any other time. I worked with some good guys both doing what I did and the senior, full time technicians. I enjoyed working there every day and was upset when I was laid off. Working on the IGen and Indigo presses, learning something new constantly was the most enjoyable part. The hardest part of the job would be the days where it seemed like everything wanted to be difficult at once and the operators would constantly hound us to fix a press while we're in the middle of repairing another.
Pros
free drinks and cheap food, superiors trust
Cons
short breaks, sometimes not enough help
You are expendable.
Digital press operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCApril 1, 2015
A typical day at work: Start the press. While it's warming up review incoming jobs and see what kind of stock requirements and get them. Follow procedure of dialing in the press so it runs correctly. Review job priorities to see which runs need to get out sooner. Once the press is warmed up you can start running. Always check the quality. It's the most important thing.

Learned about digital presses. I've used older equipment and I felt sort of privileged to learn about the new.

Management was professional. I never took my work home with me because I was stressed.

Coworkers were mostly a good team oriented people. Actually some of the best.

Hardest part of the job: Long hours. Uncertainly if you would ever get to work for Shutterfly.

Favorite part of the job: Pushing the proof tray button on the press. Once you got the thing up and rolling it was nice see pictures of happy people.

"Work like you want to work here" they said. I did. 7 Months and still laid off after Q4. 10-12 hour days.
Pros
I loved the products they make.
Cons
To quick to put you out the door to save a penny on labor.
Great company with great products quality customer service
Tier 2 Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCJuly 2, 2014
This was a great place to work. They really care about their customers and the quality of service and products they provide to their company. If company had not relocated I would still be there.

Although the company was a great place to work with great team oriented co-workers, upper management would constantly make changes to hiring procedures and now follow thru on promises from converting temporary staff to permenant positions in a timely manner. Would promise staff 40 hour work week, then two days later change work week to 24 hours, then would later again would change hours back to 40 hours. Always told people they were happy with their work but still no rewards when converting to full time positions with benefits. Also schedule would change daily as far as being sent home work early or changes to lunch times.
Pros
fun friendly co-workers really work as a team.
Cons
extremely long hours with daily changes to schedules
High paced atmosphere, with good benefits and great products
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 8, 2013
Responsible for management of the Dell computer account, certain deadlines to be met weekly, and monthly with projects.

Learned the selling and marketing experiencing by managing this account, and bringing in more revenue.

Co-workers were great, everyone got along good and helped each other on other projects when needed.

The hardest part of the job was fulfilling deadlines when a machine would break. However, it really makes a person think outside of the box and figure out other ways to reach the deadline.

I enjoyed working and selling with the clients
Pros
taught me great selling techniques and time managment
Cons
company was located far from home, and there was not enough room for growth in the company, compensation could have been better
Another day on the job...
broom pusher (Current Employee) –  PhxDecember 16, 2015
Management is the whole issue and the only issue, they speak of wanting input from their employees on the floor to make processes better, but that is all just for show. No matter how much they hear what needs to change from the people that actually do the work day in and day out do not make a difference, the people upstairs make the changes and do not really care about who has to put up with the errors. Until the management changes, all the good people will not stay and put up with these political games. I hear it from everyone everyday and that could only mean that is the main issue with this whole company.
Pros
Great workers
Cons
Management, the great "Ideas"
Productive, Fun Workplace, and Great employees
PRA Operator (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 8, 2015
A typical day at shutterfly would be clocking in and automatically going to your work station. finding out what our goal of the day would be from our lead and they aiming to ship all products out before the scheduled time. I was a PRA Machine Operator, I would basically work on this long big printing machine that would print the customers address on a bunch of envelopes that they have purchased for, i would gather them up fan them to ensure that the quality was perfect and then shrink wrap the envelopes with their shutterfly cards and take it down to shipping so they can ship it off.
Great Seasonal Job
Packaging and Filling Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 14, 2013
This was a great seasonal job. The starting pay was $12 and hour and I was working 35 hours a week so I was making much more than I was used to. The overall work environment and facility is very organized and accommodating. The job itself was fast paced, and at times extremely challenging, as you and your team are expected to meet quota's. Working on the shipping and packaging assembly line isn't the most exciting of jobs. It's mostly the same tedious work day in and day out, but I couldn't complain because I was kept busy and the days would fly by.
Productive and busy
Order Consolidator (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 1, 2013
Stood on feet all day in practically one position but was fun and easy to learn and easy to do faster and better. To improve. Learned how to ship packages through a manufacturing company. Management was cool too. A lot of the co workers were very nice and friendly, some not so much. Hardest part of my job was standing in one place for a long time. 12 hour days on my feet. Most enjoyable was shipping and packaging and being fast and accurate at it.
Pros
cheap lunches, free soda, 3 breaks
Cons
lost job, standing on feet in one position
Productive and easy place to work.
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Elmsford, NYOctober 21, 2014
I like working there. The work isn't hard at all. Every two weeks the company supply lunch for everyone. The management is cool. They do their best to make sure the work place is safe for everyone. The only thing I don't like is the fact that when there is no books you don't have work. No matter how long you work there you wont get a raise or any benefits unless you become a permanent staff which could take years.
Pros
pays $11 an hour. the work isn't hard at all.
Cons
when there is no books, theres no work., there are no health benifits or rasies unless you become a permanent staff, that can take a while.=
It was an awesome company
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAOctober 12, 2012
Shutterfly gave wonderful benefits, it gave you training in different departments, I got to learn how to operate different equipment, and they sent me to Massachusetts to get certified on the Indigo 500. They gave excellent raises with promotions, and the people were wonderful.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with touchy equipment. Some of the machines went down a lot, but when they worked it was fun, and you went home feeling good after a productive night. There was variety, and it's a great company to work for.
Pros
good benefits, choice of shifts, good job training.
Cons
they moved to phoenix, az.
Productive and awesome place to work
SHIPPING / INSERTER & STITCHER MACHINE OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCJune 5, 2015
My day at Shutterfly starts off with me setting up my machine.. Making sure everything that suppose to be on my machine is there. Run a couple of test runs. Check my finish product. If its good then I continue to run. My management are very active in word we do at Shutterfly. Co worker are friendly in like to learn different things about their job. The hardest part at Shutterfly is when we are in Q4 season is coming to work at 4am - 4am.
relaxed atmosphere with a PS3 in the Break Room
File Clerk/Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CADecember 24, 2012
fast paced focus atmosphere, fun company to work, work centered around placing orders, returns and shipping. management was very helpful and fair with daily task work between vet and rookie employees, co workers aid in all task and made the building a great place to be in, hardest part would have to b the volume of certain work orders but that also made to time go by fast because we where kept busy.
Pros
free food
Cons
temp job
cheap food,ping pong and pool tables.
xerox operator (Former Employee) –  SCApril 2, 2014
Good place to work. They got many jobs for you to do, so never shortage of work unless its the off season. When you go on break the got a game room with a pool table, ping pong table and a xbox to mess around with. The food is really cheap. Plus during the promo times they feed you bojangles and plenty of other kind of food just depends on what day it is.
Pros
cheap lunch
Cons
some people like to talk trash and management dont do there job about it
Fast paced work that will keep you engaged and busy all day
Press Operator (Current Employee) –  Valhalla, NYMarch 31, 2014
I truly enjoy working in this field and industry. Its engaging and for someone like me who likes to trouble shoot issues that come up, its always interesting when I can find and solve those issues with the equipment I am working with. This is Important when I have a job to print and a deadline to meet. This job keeps me busy and literally on my toes. Most importantly it gives you the ability to multitask which keeps the work interesting.
The Shutterfly/TinyPrint warehouse was the first very fast paced warehouse I worked in and I immediately fell in love with it.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 1, 2015
I worked in multiple departments with Shutterfly and met every challenge with high determination to succeed. The work itself was not hard once learned but keeping the desired fast pace the entire 12 hour shift had its challenges. Even though starting out was a bit difficult with the assistance and coaching from supervisors and coworkers it wasn't long before keeping the pace was just another walk through the park.
Fast paced but enjoyable work
HP Digital Press Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 13, 2013
I learned about the transfer of ink to paper to create photo books using a positive and negative charge of electricity. I learned how stay fast paced through long shifts. The hardest part was learning to keep track of step-by-step detailed machine maintenance procedures. Best part was the sense of accomplishment when fixing broken things of all kinds.
Pros
cheap vending machine prices, free soda, good people
Cons
it was a seasonal position
some bump but overall good
Canvas stretcher (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 8, 2012
The days that i worked at shutterfly was fun. the job that i had was fun and enjoyable. the only problem that i had was there management staff really didn't care about the hard working employees. they had their favorites. me i was one of the hard workers. when I'm working i do my best and work as hard as i can. i typically work like my job is on the line and I'm about to get fired. it was a seasonal job that's why i worked there for a small amount of time.
Pros
the job was fun
Cons
management staff
it was a good working environment but was often very tiring
Warehouseman (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAFebruary 20, 2013
packaging postcards and shipping them out, or scanning the inventory that came in.
I learned how to ship and recieve.
The manager was very professional but hard on getting things done.
My co-workers were all focused on getting things done.
The hardest part of my job was sometimes we would work long hours.
The most enjoyable part was that this job was only part time.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours & not enough pay
Nice friendly coworks feels like a family!
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 24, 2013
I would work there for 12 hours watching pictures to make sure they are in perfect shape. If not, I would fix it. I learned how to fix a lot of the problems by watching the tech people fix it for me. I enjoyed my days there because everyone is so friendly and treats you like a family. It was sad when we had to leave because business was slow.
Pros
free drinks, free pictures, free snacks
Cons
short break, slow business