Shutterstock Employee Reviews

Weird culture, some shady practices
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 13, 2016
Working in customer service is very tough, productivity targets are unreasonably high, systems and/or the website seem to always break down or have bugs, there is a shady subscription auto-renewal practice in place and more than 50% of all customer contact is asking for refunds and complaining about this practice, which management expects you to defend.
Kind of a stuffy, arrogant culture, people mostly keep their noses down in their laptops and don't communicate much with others.
I learned that there are definitely better places to work.
Pros
Free lunch and snacks, game room, nice location
Cons
Health benefits, tough job, low pay, shady practices, weird company culture
Remote Image Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Work from homeFebruary 8, 2017
Able to make my own hours and work from the comfort of my own home. It's a great job. It's convenient, the people I report to are very helpful and full of knowledge. I always have assistance when needed.
Great Place To Work
Remote Image Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Work from homeFebruary 27, 2017
Great place to work, flexible, management helpful when needed and available on Slack. Love being able to make my own schedule. Have enjoyed working there at and hope to continue enjoying it.
Lots of potential, demotivated employees, questionable middle level management
Inside Sales and Customer Service Professional (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 10, 2014
PROS
Very competitive compensation based on sales
Lots of perks: free lunch, yoga and fitness classes, gym reimbursement, amazing office space
Benefits are ok, could be better
Competitive time off policy
The most enjoyable part of the job is the co-workers

CONS
Not the best place to develop your career
Change isn't always easy or pleasant. Employees do not embrace or understand changes
Poor long term vision for the inside sales department
Lack of accountability by management exists
Demotivated inside sales executives
Startup going through growing pains
sales/marketing (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 2, 2013
The company has huge potential and will continue to grow. It's currently facing a problem where by they aren't bringing in enough new genes into the pool. Management has been hiring a lot of friends from previous failed startups. There are too many people who think exactly the same way. They could use more thought diversity.
Excellent, creative very easy
Professional photographer - freelancer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2014
I am working from my home, every day from 9 a.m. until I drop from my chair, 5 p.m. or 6 even up to 10 p.m. in the evening.

I miss my old job, to work as an engineer, to invent new things, to solve some real problems and to help production to go faster and easy.

I learned to be more precision and to look world from the other side.

Management is excellent and very accurate, fair and very serviceable.

My co-workers are all artists and they helped me to get in this job very easy and to make real good results.

The hardest part of the job is that I am always in my home, closed in my room, because the job require a lot of processing material that should be prepared for upload.

The most enjoyable part of the job is creativity and freedom in ideas and no one said STOP and go home to rest your self.
Pros
No need, I am looking for a job to feed my famili
Cons
No problems, Shutter is the best company I ever work for !
Great new offices, great company
Graphic Design Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 15, 2014
Shutterstock was a great company to use a lot of design resources to get the job done. A lot of great people and projects that kept me busy day after day.
Pros
Free Breakfast, Lunch and Snacks. Game room, pingpong table
Excellent Work Environment
Administrative Assistant, Tech Company (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 6, 2014
Great place! Great work culture and good work/life balance. Job security is not strong.
Poor Management
IT (Former Employee) –  New York, NyFebruary 21, 2014
Not a fun place to work. Horrible managers who enjoy micro managing everything. No growth potential.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Bad Managers
Not the best place to have a career
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 27, 2014
I will start by saying that I am writing this review to help others, I am fortunate enough to have a good amount of savings going into this role but for those that aren’t prepared to take a financial hit beware and stay away. I am a Sales Professional who has been in industry for 10 years.

This job is risky, some who have weathered the storm have seen success but at the cost of monotony, and never knowing what will happen the next day.

Turnover is such an issue, Sales Directors can’t manage the business because more than half of their time is dedicated to interviews.

Most are super motivated to start but that quickly turns around as you get an understanding of the business. This is what you will face in a role as an Account Executive, you will work with a team where everyone hates what they do because the job is robotic, and unfruitful. Prospecting for good leads is impossible, everything that is worth your time is taken, people are fighting each other for prospects, just a sad and toxic environment.

Leaders don’t go through a formal training process, most companies spend 6+ months to breed leaders by giving them special projects and training to ensure that they are ready, at Shutterstock Sales Directors are the survivors those that made it past a year or two. They are sent to training for a week and then tasked to lead a team completely unprepared.

The communication is really bad at the Customer service/sales department. Management do not prioritize to update the team about changes that are being made to website and products. Most of the time,I would hear
  more... the updates from customers and not from management.

If you choose to work for them as an Account Executive, I would advise you to keep track of your sales, bonuses, over time pay etc. They have a tendency to forget some payments. They also tend to forget to add your paid days off to your calender. Make sure you make a note of all of that.
Pros
Free beverages, breakfast, pizza Friday
Cons
Bad tempered managers, managers have unproffesional interpersonal communication and sometimes no communication at all