Sidley Austin LLP Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent Benefits!
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 17, 2015
I enjoyed working with Sidley. I had an excellent rapport with my attorneys and co-workers. I learned that if you performed your duties and arrived on time you will be well regarded. Since Sidley is a stickler for tardiness, be on time and you will have no issues. My co-workers and I operated as a team way before teams were implemented and we willingly assisted one another. My most enjoyable part of the job was meeting deadlines and seeing the satisfaction of a good job done on the faces of my attorneys and supervisors.
Pros
very flexible and willing to work with you.
Cons
no grace period when late.
Great people to work with
Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 16, 2015
I really enjoy working at Sidley Austin. The only thing I would change is management. They seem to be more concerned about who likes who and other grade school issues, rather than whether or not the attorneys are happy with your work.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
management
Proven analytical and critical thinking skills and managerial courage
Managing Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, New YorkAugust 28, 2014
Provided critical recovery of active litigation records
Provided practice management and procedural expertise to the firm's litigators
Supervised and managed the centralized records management system
Worked with specialized personnel to develop and implement standard procedures resulting in administrative and operational improvements.
Advised firm staff engaged in the active practice of Commercial Litigation, Real Estate, Public Finance, State and Federal Regulation, Employment Law, and Municipal finance
IT in a law firm
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 22, 2014
A typical day at Sidley was very busy and demanding. It would be answering requests from secretaries to answering requests to setup a conference room for a high level meeting with AV for a VTC between offices within the Firm to outside the Firm.

I have learned over the years that providing IT support to law firm users was in ways the same as in other principles. Except, some of the requests were tied to orders form the courts,which were time sensitive. I learned to use the document management system, iManage, and was providing support to the users and to my team.

My most enjoyable part of my job was working with the users in the offices I was responsible for , LA, PA, SF, and SE.
Pros
fast paced work in the area of law
Cons
healthcare could have been better.
Training and Support
IT TRAINING SPECIALIST - DC OFFICE (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 28, 2014
My typical day at work consisted of daily contact with HR in receiving notifications of new employees and providing a training schedule based on qualifying position; conducting hands-on training to all staff and including lawyers in all our computer-based applications, blackberries, iphones and ipads; providing on-line support using PC Anywhere to proxy into other users computers and floor support, if needed; participating in trainers' conference calls and providing feedback to HR regarding training. In addition, updated training materials to make specific for the DC office as well as write documentation, if needed.
Pros
training, teaching and equipping others
Paralegal
paralegal (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2015
worked as a paralegal for years here... It was great not too demanding, people were very nice. Worked here during the recession and ultimately god laid off, but was give 3 full months notice which was quite nice.
Pros
nice people, great location
Cons
work was boring
Professional as Ever
Staff Recruiting Coordinator (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 3, 2014
A very professional work environment, however, lacked a candidate tracking system which made recruiting difficult. But overall an amazing place to work that truly values their employees' time.
Pros
delicious cafeteria where everything costs $3.50! amazing office parties as well.
Cons
not a lot of opportunities to advance.
Law Firm
Office Clerk/Supply Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 1, 2012
A typical day at work would include organizing and stocking office supplies. I was also required to intake the supplies into the company database for inventory and maintain the office supplies for all the offices and conference rooms for the company.
Pros
medical benefits, 1 block away from metro
Cons
strong communication skills a plus
Excellent work environment.
Legal/Special Assignment Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 22, 2012
Sidley Austin is highly regarded law firm both nationally and internationally. The staff are friendly and professional
and the firm provides a friendly work environment, including on job training of all new software used in the daily staff operations
Great place to learn and grow
Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 18, 2013
work here is very structured so that you can be an independent employee. Autonomy is very important on your own projects as well as the flexibility to be part of a team. Team and individual work best represent the family feel to the workplace and how your voice can be heard.
Global Firm with a focus on Collegiality
Director - Project Management Office (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 12, 2013
A great place to work and a great place to learn and grow your career.
Pros
location, staff, collegiality
Cons
work/life balance, staff underappreciated to lawyers
Best Large Law Firm in LA
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 13, 2014
Sidley has complex and challenging work typical of a large law firm, but it also attracts good people, such that the working environment is collegiate and humane.
Collegial firm doing top notch work by terrific people.
Litigation Partner (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 6, 2014
Sidley was a great place to practice law. The people are friendly, and team oriented, and talented.
Productive Fun Place to work
Litigation Support Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 18, 2013
I enjoyed my years at Sidley Austin LLP. Great staff, great benefits, and I learned a lot of skills.
Fast paced, productive, and exciting work environment.
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 26, 2015
When I get to work I start off by checking my e-mails followed by making sure that the personal WiFi hot-spots are in inventory.
I'm constantly wiping and imaging laptops and desktops for Sidley.
I've learned many things while being involved with Sidley. I learned that proper cable management is a valuable skill in the IT world, Soft Skills in a professional work environment are seriously valuable, Everyone makes mistakes including managers, and in order to survive in the IT field, you must be up to date on all things current.

The interaction with my manager and co-workers here at Sidley are wonderful. If I'm having trouble with anything at all, there is no hesitation from my co-workers to help me.

The hardest part of my job is staying on top of multi-tasking.
Ex: There are new hires coming in and I have to set up a conference room for some attorneys while wiping a computer and keeping track of all the asset tags and IMACing them back into inventory consecutively.

The most enjoyable part of my job is simply networking. I love meeting new people and having the opportunity to hear some achievements from someone else. I'm very open to learning new things from people.
Pros
Networking, Job comfort, The ability to talk to people, Helping people learn new things, Working with computers.
Cons
Employer Irritation, Conflict of Interest, Performance Slippage.