Sierra College Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Excellent fire technology program
Academic Instructor (Current Employee) –  Rocklin, CADecember 13, 2015
Provide instruction to continuing education students in physical fitness, resistance training, and health promotion.
Instruction on essential sciences related to health and fitness: anatomy, exercise physiology, exercise / sport psychology, motor learning, and aspects of adult learning
Knowledge of the elements of exercise prescription for: apparently healthy adolescent, teen, and adult populations; post-rehabilitative clients and clients with known risk factors or symptoms of disease; and, athletic fitness
Knowledge of the elements of nutrition and its relationship to health and fitness.
Knowledge of the business skills needed for personal success in the health and fitness field.
Knowledge of the elements of client motivation and the connection between the mind and body
Sierra College: An excellent campus
English Professor (Current Employee) –  Truckee, CAJune 26, 2015
I very much enjoy my work as a professor at Sierra College. The campus was supportive and innovative in terms of its practices.

In my role as a professor, I plan courses and edit manuscripts to refine grammar, clarity, and tone.

One of my strengths includes face-to-face collaboration. My interactions with students are consistently dynamic and satisfying.
Pros
Beautiful campus, friendly staff, forward thinking
Cons
None. I loved my job.
designed to the student just starting out or returning to school
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Rocklin, CAJanuary 31, 2015
The tutor center is a good place to work. You can set your own schedule and all of the people are nice and helpful. They offer several professional workshops to improve your skills as a tutor and of the option to earn a two level national tutoring certification.
Pros
you can get a lot of experience in tutoring and attend free workshops
Cons
doesn't pay much
Exciting work environment with great employees
Temporary bookseller (Current Employee) –  Rocklin, caJanuary 18, 2015
A typical day at work includes helping find their books and supplies for their classes. The management along with the coworkers are very kind and fun to be around. The hardest part of the job is carrying multiple book orders but the best part is getting to know your customers left happy with their service.
I worked in the field and knew many of my students. The class grew each time it was taught because the students referred their buddies
Professor (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CANovember 17, 2014
I enjoyed teaching the class and was good at it. The final exam each time was very very interesting and intense. The students loved it.
Pros
No boss, no proctor, what's not to like
Cons
When kids came along, not enough time to continue
Adjunct Psychology Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAAugust 3, 2014
As an adjunct you are treated better than adjuncts in other districts but the pay is considerably less.
fun at times, busy other times
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAJune 10, 2014
the people are all so great. the job was fun at times, busy other times. great place overall
Fun Place, Good People, Good opportunities.
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grass Valley, CaliforniaMay 28, 2014
I worked for Sierra College as a classroom assistant in the, (Computer Integrated Electronics) Mechatronics department, for four years, this offered a great opportunity to expand my knowledge of the subject, and also help others get closer to achieving their goals, and it also gave me a good start with a fairly flexible job, so that I could get used to working, officially a typical day was 3-4 hours long, but unofficially a day could, if you really liked helping people and didn't really care about the pay, 6-10 hours, not that the longer hours were actually required, they were just logical in order for you to do the job correctly. I learned a lot about jobs, in general, and money management working for Sierra College, I probably had the best manager in the world above me, and the experience would have been completely different with someone else. Your co-workers at least for me were teachers, they were generally nice people, although some of them could have done the job better than they did. As strange as it may sound the hardest part of the job was filling out the time card, I didn't really do it for the money, so it didn't matter, but they will fire you if you miss too many time sheet submissions. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with people to help them to learn electronics, and help them learn.
Pros
Great place, flexible hours, fun job.
Cons
Having to deal with people who don't want to learn.
Substitute Custodian
Substitute Custodian (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAApril 4, 2014
. Swept, mopped, scrubbed, waxed, vacuumed and shampooed carpets and floors as required. Cleaned walls, furniture, windows, woodwork, chalk boards, chalk trays, white boards, and light fixtures. Emptied, cleaned and lined trash receptacles. Checked and refilled towel, toilet paper and liquid soap dispensers. Picked up papers and debris; cleaned walkways and entrances. Set and checked furnaces, heaters, and air conditioning systems and change filters as required
Number One Community College in California
Full-Time Student (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAMay 27, 2013
I was a full-time student here from 2008-2010, and I enjoyed every minute of it. The professors are very friendly and professional, and I met some of my best friends while attending college here.
Teaching
Adjunct Professor, Computer Science (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAFebruary 4, 2013
I loved teaching at Sierra. I loved watching light bulbs turning on and off
Pros
able to help individuals learn
Cons
department went entirely online
Supportive and friendly office environment
Office Assistant II Counseling (Former Employee) –  Counseling office at the Nevada County CampusMay 25, 2012
I was able to interact with students and counselors on a daily basis. I learned about the rules and regulations of attending community college. I was taught by excellent mentors that I will continue to stay in contact with. I enjoyed working with all of the other employees in that office. The hardest part of this position was dealing with upset students, especially if there was no solution to their problem. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with others and answering questions.