Sierra Detention Systems Employee Reviews

They closed on May 15, 2017
Purchasing/Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Brighton, COJuly 28, 2017
Was stressful but a good and fun place to work. Always learning something new whether it would be construction related or technology related. I had honestly hoped to work there until I was able to retire! It would be great to find another job like this one, small business firm with great leadership, fair policies and good people to work with.
Pros
Free lunches & haircuts!
Cons
At times communication was a problem and then an emergency, ugh!
Good working environment
Senior Control Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brighton, CO 80601May 1, 2017
Good company.
Well managed
Good working environment.
Fun place to work.
Flexible schedule.
Unfortunately it is currently reorganizing and down-sizing.
Great Experience
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brighton, COApril 12, 2017
Great company and field to learn system integration of many different types of controls and security that is PLC based. Get to travel to different parts of the country.
Learned alot about working on your own and your own pace
Employee (Former Employee) –  Brighton, COFebruary 28, 2017
There is no training, you will get no feed back from management or guidance. It is a sink or swim atmosphere. SO if you cant swim stay in the boat and far away.
Sierra Detention Systems
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brighton, CODecember 20, 2016
I soon realized after being hired at Sierra that the decision makers did not have the comprehension or interest in creating an efficient business model to control overspending and improve workflow. There is no support network and no human resources department. There is no training or support provided to 90% of the staff. Regardless, the staff are hard working, intelligent and caring individuals that provide the missing team environment that the executive wing is unable to provide.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
No human resources department
Management was replaced with bad management
Technician II (Former Employee) –  Brighton, COSeptember 5, 2016
Director was a micro manager who conflicted with the Service manager. Director told me to perform a job and kept changing his mind, because he was telling me how to do my job and I told him it wouldn't work because it was not the right was to perform it. I lasted there 2 weeks because he was threatened by me because I challenged his authority. I only challenged him because he was telling me to work the job and the result would have been like a rookie was performing the work. I am professional and am not going to do a half a job or do the job unprofessionally.
Pros
Every body else were fantastic
Cons
Health benifits package horrable only for employee nothing for family
Scammers and angry customers
Tech, installer, programmer, troubleshooter. (Former Employee) –  EverywhereJuly 22, 2016
Sierra sells the jail systems broken outdated products and sends the Sierra team to go install it and it never works out. They always have a Hard time paying their employees and sometimes don't pay at all. You work out of state at minimum wage and there is no moving up in the company. And when you leave they file false claims with the unemployment office and take your whole last paychecks as an (advance). This is a crooked broken company that Noone should trust. Do not get their security equipment it's a major headache and Sierra is a sinking ship.
Pros
You get to pay for flights out of your pocket. Your broke
Cons
Good luck getting paid
Worked in jails and prisons
Labor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix AzOctober 20, 2015
I worked around inmates, not all the time, I also worked alone in some cases. I was eligible for a badge that would let me walk into prison in and out everyday.
Doh!
BIM/Revit Designer/CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Brighton, COSeptember 11, 2015
Nice people.
Great industry with amazing possibilites.
Top notch fabrication department.
Leadership has what it needs to succeed.
Just never follows through.
Pros
Top notch fab shop
Cons
Nepotism, buddy-buddy promotions
productive
Panel Shop Lead (Former Employee) –  brighton coAugust 31, 2015
at first a great place to work then changed in management and health benefits company makes promises that were not kept i did learn a lot about security camera and door locks
Great people to work with BUT...
Panel Technician (Former Employee) –  Brighton, COMay 5, 2015
Typically a day consists of just building panels and wiring according to blueprints (so it is easy to just stay in focus to get the job done). Some jobs you also have to configure cameras using IP addressing and also configure CCTV's. Management needs improvement. Co-workers are awesome to work with. Really hard to advance in different departments. There was some great ways management showed their appreciation towards the employers but now that got taken away. Lots of repetitive heavy lifting.
Pros
Laid back, great co-workers
Cons
Terrible management, horrible advancement opportunities, no raises or bonuses
Service & Warranty Manager (Current Employee) –  Brighton, ColoradoMarch 9, 2015
Good place to work. Never a dull moment. Job requires a lot of self motivation and direction. Must be a self starter. All in all, it has been a good experience.
Busy most of the time.
Welder / Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Brighton ColoradoDecember 2, 2014
A typical day at work starts at 6 a.m. and ends at 2:30 p.m.
I've learned a lot about fabrication and prison systems.
Management is ok. Communication between departments need improvement.
Pros
Good co-workers. Nice atmosphere.
Cons
No advancement
Great Organization, lack of advancement
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  BrightenOctober 21, 2014
I really enjoyed working for this wonderful company. They allowed me to take full ownership of my work and department. The lack of advancement was frustrating and when the market started to go south the company took a temporary hit. Great company and overall staff.
Pros
weekly Friday lunch, last week of the year off
Cons
lack of advancement for office staff
Awesome company to work for!!!!
Welder (Former Employee) –  Tuba City, AZAugust 23, 2014
I still want to work for sierra someday again, one excellent job
Pros
Cons
.....
Sierra Detention Systems
Security Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Brighton, ColoradoApril 23, 2013
Management expects phones to be answered at any point in time.
A lot of travel.
Very enjoyable place to work.
Welder/Installer (Former Employee) –  Brighton, COJanuary 6, 2013
Good hard working job, just what you could expect from a construction job. I had the freedom and respect from the bosses to get my job done everyday in a timely matter for the best for the company and the project. The employees were like family and we all relied on everyones skills to learn from and to grow together. Lots of heavy lifting most days and lots of safety fundamentals to follow with everything you do. Management was young as was the company and learned as it grew. I really enjoy working with my hands and i love the progress and finished product of everything I did. Most reawarding job i have had so far.
I learned some new things at this job
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brighton, COFebruary 21, 2012
I enjoyed working for this company and it has some really good employees, but it moved too far away and there are no benefits and the work was slow.
Pros
i had a good supervisor
Cons
no benefits