Sierra Medical Center Employee Reviews

versitile days
Health Unit Coordinator/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 20, 2017
doing admissions and discharging patients. something different everyday. Learned a lot about patient care and different cultures. Learned how to deal with different situations everyday.
Pros
3 day work week
Cons
working nights
unit
Health Unit Coordinator-ER (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 17, 2017
Field Nurse Career. ... Job Description for Registered Nurses : Assess patient health problems and needs, develop and implement nursing care plans, and maintain medical records. Administer nursing care to ill, injured, convalescent, or disabled patients.
fun place to work
ER Paramedic (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 1, 2017
excellent experience with a fun work environment. Busy at times with not enough staff, but makes you an even better provider. Relying on teammates and on yourself to take care of patient load.
great
ICU RN (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJune 9, 2017
Fun and great hospital. It was wonderful. May venture out but will definitely go back if given the opportunity. Great coworkers. Great work experience.
Needs more nurses
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJune 2, 2017
This hospital needs more staff, I routinely ate my meal while charting at the desk as there was no one to answer the phone or the call bell. In an emergency there is not enough staff to assist.
Pros
great food
Cons
patient staff ratio
It has probably become better...
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 24, 2017
after I left. The Nursing Union was voted in and the place went from being a very slippery place to work, to having a strong union mandating strict protocols. Before that, any complaint by a manager or a physician could quickly jeopardize your job in a blink. Now any complaints have to go through a formal review, and instead of getting into a complicated and potentially legal dispute the company will, if anything, have the nurse enroll in a paid, on site, retraining class instead of a formal write up. This makes one's job security far greater than it ever was, and this place was notorious for running staff off before the Union got voted in.

Other than that, it is a typical city hospital- every minute of every hour is busy, and you will probably stay over two hours daily catching up on charting.
Pros
Union contract.
Cons
Very busy, long hours.
Enjoyable environmet in the Emergency Department
Health Unit Coordinator Emergency Room (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 6, 2017
Typical day on the emergency department would include 11-16 ambulances. Code Blue at least 2 times a week. The team that we had was extraordinary. My management was there for us. We always put the needs of the patient first. The hardest part would be a Code 5. But the most enjoyable part would be working with different doctors all the time.
Pros
Learn on the Job
Cons
Directors are let go all the time
Fast paced
Medical Records Tech II (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 25, 2017
It was a great place to work had amazing coworkers that assisted in the workload duties. I would work there again, overall it was a nice experience and made great lifetime friends.
good place to work
Paralegal Assistant (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 10, 2017
My job here was to make sure contracts were current and up to date and Dr/s time sheets were ready for payment. There wasn't anything hard about this job maybe just trying to deal with people who were kind of envious. The most enjoyable part of this job was having good coworkers
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not any
Productive work environment
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 25, 2017
A day at this job would go by very fast there was a lot of teamwork involved and would really work with my school schedule. Really nice place to work.
Incredible
Trauma Coordinator/Educator (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 1, 2016
Sierra Medical Center was where I started by career as a nurse, they are a great hospital in nurturing and great teaching hospital for new nurses to expand their creativity and become independent health care professionals.
very nice working place
Certified Nursing Assistant/Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  El Paso TxJuly 24, 2015
I enjoyed working at this hospital ,nice working environment we all help each other work as a team also offers you continuing education programs.
Pros
bonuses
Busy and challenging place to work
Medical Technologist II (Current Employee) –  el paso texasJuly 16, 2015
Busy place to work and will challenge you to be a better tech and build teamwork skills. Work ethics is well regarded. Great place to learn how to work well under pressure.
Great company to work for
Credentialing Department (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TxJuly 15, 2015
Gathered all of the paperwork needed to complete the credentialing for the Physicians in question.

Learned that working for a hospital setting has it's advantages.

Management always willing to help.

When not able to collect information regarding there credentialing

Dealing with the Doctors.
Pros
Great work place
Cons
When companies would not send out paperwork needed.
Advancement, Learning
HEALTH UNIT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  El PasoMay 22, 2015
Great career opportunity for any employee, staff are eager to learn and or teach, Physicians are willing to do the same.
Pros
Learning environment
Cons
Constand Administrative changes
Learning opportunity
Registered Nurse ICU/CCU (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 15, 2015
I took this job because they specialized in open heart patients. I had to opportunity to learn and advance my skills in this area. This encouraged me to obtain my cardiac certification. Excellent work environment and overall a positive work experience.
Pros
learning opportunity, excellent pay
Cons
no benefits
It is a high paced laboratory with lots of work.
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 29, 2014
A typical day at work involves a lot of multitasking such as running the chemistry department while answering phone calls, taking care of the sample tube system, receiving samples, setting up microbiology samples and trouble shooting when chemistry analyzers go down.

What I have learned is that when work gets overwhelming, the most important thing to do is to take care of the stats first then work in the routine samples.

Management is understaffed as well, but many times they try to pass some of their workload on to the technologists in the other departments.

Some coworkers are eager to help other technologists while there are those that perform the minimum amount of work.

The hardest part of the job is trying to balance the workload while taking care of several department.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that everything usually gets completed by the end of the shift.
Pros
Provides good benefits.
Cons
There are times that lunch breaks cannot be taken because there is too much work.
Amazing co-workers
Registered Charge Nurse - Labor and Delivery (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 28, 2014
This unit was smaller than the unit I work for now but still was a busy one. Great co-workers with awesome team work.
Informative
ICN floor nurse (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 23, 2014
Was hired as a graduate Nurse to do an 6 month internship to learn on how to properly take care of NICU babies. After my first year I was allowed to take charge in the unit.
Pros
opportunity to grow
Cons
working holidays
Productive and a calm environment workplace
Student Internship (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 20, 2014
My personal experience was as a Internship, been a Volunteer in this place is very honorable. The management was very professional; there was no hardest or easiest part of work all of it were equal as everybody.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sierra Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Sierra Medical Center Reviews by Location