Sierra Medical Center

Sierra Medical Center Employee Reviews

very nice working place
Certified Nursing Assistant/Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  El Paso TxJuly 24, 2015
I enjoyed working at this hospital ,nice working environment we all help each other work as a team also offers you continuing education programs.
Pros
bonuses
Busy and challenging place to work
Medical Technologist II (Current Employee) –  el paso texasJuly 16, 2015
Busy place to work and will challenge you to be a better tech and build teamwork skills. Work ethics is well regarded. Great place to learn how to work well under pressure.
Great company to work for
Credentialing Department (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TxJuly 15, 2015
Gathered all of the paperwork needed to complete the credentialing for the Physicians in question.

Learned that working for a hospital setting has it's advantages.

Management always willing to help.

When not able to collect information regarding there credentialing

Dealing with the Doctors.
Pros
Great work place
Cons
When companies would not send out paperwork needed.
Advancement, Learning
HEALTH UNIT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  El PasoMay 22, 2015
Great career opportunity for any employee, staff are eager to learn and or teach, Physicians are willing to do the same.
Pros
Learning environment
Cons
Constand Administrative changes
Learning opportunity
Registered Nurse ICU/CCU (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 15, 2015
I took this job because they specialized in open heart patients. I had to opportunity to learn and advance my skills in this area. This encouraged me to obtain my cardiac certification. Excellent work environment and overall a positive work experience.
Pros
learning opportunity, excellent pay
Cons
no benefits
It is a high paced laboratory with lots of work.
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 29, 2014
A typical day at work involves a lot of multitasking such as running the chemistry department while answering phone calls, taking care of the sample tube system, receiving samples, setting up microbiology samples and trouble shooting when chemistry analyzers go down.

What I have learned is that when work gets overwhelming, the most important thing to do is to take care of the stats first then work in the routine samples.

Management is understaffed as well, but many times they try to pass some of their workload on to the technologists in the other departments.

Some coworkers are eager to help other technologists while there are those that perform the minimum amount of work.

The hardest part of the job is trying to balance the workload while taking care of several department.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that everything usually gets completed by the end of the shift.
Pros
Provides good benefits.
Cons
There are times that lunch breaks cannot be taken because there is too much work.
Amazing co-workers
Registered Charge Nurse - Labor and Delivery (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 28, 2014
This unit was smaller than the unit I work for now but still was a busy one. Great co-workers with awesome team work.
Informative
ICN floor nurse (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 23, 2014
Was hired as a graduate Nurse to do an 6 month internship to learn on how to properly take care of NICU babies. After my first year I was allowed to take charge in the unit.
Pros
opportunity to grow
Cons
working holidays
Productive and a calm environment workplace
Student Internship (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 20, 2014
My personal experience was as a Internship, been a Volunteer in this place is very honorable. The management was very professional; there was no hardest or easiest part of work all of it were equal as everybody.
Caring for infants
RN Newborn Nursery (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 14, 2014
Admitting infants in the nursery challenging. I had to triage the infants as each came in. Admissions could be very challenging. I would admit to the nursery sometimes 6 infants at once. The hardest part of my job was to transfer infants to ICN due to neonate not doing well or adjusting to life. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see the mothers smile and observe the infant breastfeed successfully.
Pros
Independent
Cons
working late hours till 1 am in the morning.
Registered Nurse Outpatient
Registered Nurse- Outpatient Services (Current Employee) –  El Paso TexasJuly 12, 2014
A typical workday at SMC was fast paced and fun. Team work was our strongest asset and patient care service. I matured as a nurse and management always gave me opportunities to excel. I enjoyed have a variety of patients/visitors and making them feel comfortable during a stressful situation.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
proximity
Professional working enviorment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 29, 2014
Its a great company to work for and has lots of opportunity for advancement
Nurses not so nice
CNA (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 2, 2014
I would get to work review the patients charts from what happened during the day and talk to the day nurses. I learned how to take care of babies in the nicu and how to help deliver babies. I loved this job and wish it worked out for me.
It was very interesting working with experience AOD
House Supervisor (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 9, 2014
Typical day was very busy. I Learned the hospital was the hire level of care. CO-workers were very helpfuly and avilable when called. All nurses very friendly and helpfull. Hardest part is dealing with angry doctors. Enjoyed the meeting I attended.
Pros
all administors avialble on the phone
Cons
When they disolve jobs
Sierra
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 9, 2014
The management and staff are all helpful and very caring. They try hard to retain their staff. They care for their staff and their patients. The biggest problem is the area is very dry and dusty. The dust gets
into everything and is the summer the heat is unbearable. There is not alot to do as far as offduty recreation.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
heat, lack of off duty (allergies)
Okay at times
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 19, 2013
Great place to work but there is no room to advance..... staff has worked shifts for years which makes it hard for a new employee to advance. Certain departments are extremely afraid of change.
Pros
Nursing staff was exceptionally helpful
Cons
No oportunity to advance from nights to days.
Good Staff Poor Administration
Administative Director (Former Employee) –  SMCAugust 17, 2013
The staff at SMC are excellent, however, the direction of the organization is misguided and mistake prone due to lack of administration's experience/competency. There have been several mistakes such as water pipe breakages and chiller disrepair that
have ended up on local news coverage. Also, there have been layoffs and flexing of staff-you will not get your hours. This is poorly guided hospital and network.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Administration
Buzy hospital, short work period,
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 10, 2013
Sierra Medical Center is a very busy hospital. There is constant in and out of nursing staff until very recently. Now the Union has been recently voted in for nurses. The patients are similiar to other hospitals around the US. Most are elderly or very sick. No matter what your specialty is as a nurse you will be floated to all areas of the hospital whether you are familiar with that floor or not. Management does what it can do to retain nurses. The hardest part of the job is coming to work with no idea of where you will be. The most enjoyable part of the job is the nurses that you work with. But with the new union coming in there may be changes to past work conditions.
Pros
32hr work week.
Cons
constant floating
Great work Environment, fair Pay, Friendly and Helpful Workplace
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Miami Lakes, FLJune 27, 2013
MyTypical Day at work would be to prep the rooms for the Patients make sure everything is tidy and clean. Greet and Help Patients in the waiting room and in the Patient's room. My co workers were very helpful and Friendly and fun to work with. Everyday was a Great work day.
Pros
Great Environment, Fair pay, Balanced work not over worked
Cons
Part- Time Job
Union Shop
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  El Paso TexasJune 7, 2013
This is a union hospital for RN's. The union Rocks so if you, as an RN, want someone that has your back this is great!! That being said it has very antiquated equipment and management does NOT support nurses here. I would NEVER work there again!!
Pros
NONE
Cons
No lunch breaks given, Team work is minimal from some charge nurses, Management is horrible to nurses unless they are submissive to their way of thinking and doing, Pay is NOT commensurate with experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sierra Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Sierra Medical Center Reviews by Location