Sierra Nevada Corporation Employee Reviews

Perfect site leads
Field Service Engineer Operator (Former Employee) –  NevadaJuly 5, 2016
It was fun to work with my coworkers.
Good benefits.
Good benefits for travel.
On time Schedule.
Perfect work facilities overseas.
Biggest mistake of my career
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COJune 3, 2016
This company is atrocious! Senior management is pathetic and unaccountable. Scapegoats are always being sought for ineffective management. A ethically challenged company.
Pros
NA
Cons
you name it
Time was Short
Engineering Intern (temp) (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 27, 2016
This is a very high end professional corporations. The teams at SNC are brilliant. Many of the engineers and technicians are working on up to a half dozen project.

Education is crazy important if you want to get involved with one of the big companies. In my short time here. It was very intimidating to working with a lot of these brilliant minds.

The job is hard. You will need to know you stuff.

Professional teams and atmosphere were very positive. Even my small role felt like it was an integral part of daily operation.
Pros
Awesome Team, Advancing Technology
Cons
Use as a step up in career
Field Service Engineer II (Former Employee) –  NVJanuary 18, 2016
Would not recommend working for this company for more than 2 years as the advancement and pay does not correlate to the amount of work accomplished.
Fun
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 16, 2016
The balance between fun and responsibility was equal. I was able to balance my work with my life. The hardest part of the job was the attentiveness it required knowing the responsibility.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Sun damage
All about people that care
Material Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CODecember 16, 2015
Great place to work!! One of the last big corporations that care about its people. I'm unable to elaborate about the on goings, and it is a truly great company!!!!!!!
Pros
Excelant Benifits and 401k
Outstanding company with outstanding benefits.
Quality Assurance Insp Sr / Avionics Tech Sr (Current Employee) –  Centennial, COSeptember 27, 2015
I have been with this company for 6 years. I love working here. I fix airplanes and deploy for over half the year so it's really hard being away from friends, family, and life in general but an excellent way to build a financially sound foundation for what the future may hold for me. Not many complaints other than some of the personalities I work with can be unprofessional a majority of the time, but overall - a great company to work for. Progression and advancement have been achieved and can be achieved - just focus on being an expert in your area and work hard. They will notice and it will pay off. It also says a lot about a company that puts SOOOOO MUCH back into their employees - especially the ones that work hard (some coworkers tend to do the bare-minimum and expect great things to happen to them...). It also means a lot that within my first few months working here, one of the individuals that helped start this huge company was on his hands and knees at my side turning wrenches, teaching/guiding me, and treating me as a person - not another number - before I even knew who he was. Very happy here.
Pros
They do a lot to keep employees motivated.
Cons
Some coworkers drag you down and act unprofessionally, Being deployed for most of the year is a bummer but part of the job when I hired on.
Great Place To Work
Special Security Officer (SSO) (Current Employee) –  MDJuly 21, 2015
One of the best companies I have worked for! Awesome benefits and great co-workers! Management is very helpful and wise! You will like working for SNC!
Program Managers are lambs to the slaughter
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COMarch 11, 2015
SNC does not want the PM they advertise for, what they want is someone who will babysit a bunch of untalented divas, then take the arrows when they fail to deliver.

As a Program Manager they tell you to stay out of the technical aspects of the project and just manage the cost and schedule. In essence you are a report generator.

They do not believe in documenting requirements.

They do not believe that a project should have more than 2 - 3 charge codes as it creates more work for the cost analyst.

Engineers will lie about status without consequence from senior management. The PM will take the fall.

The culture is egg shells. You can be fired for dressing a certain way, saying something your manager doesn't agree with, or if one of the engineers on your project complains that he/she cannot work to schedule or cost baselines.

Extremely immature and paranoid breeding ground.
Pros
pay was good, but not enough given the screwed up nature of senior managemnt
Cons
senior management, hr is terrible, the cfo
Great Company. Too bad it had to end soon
Safety Engineer Intern II (Former Employee) –  Louisville, COFebruary 16, 2015
Awesome experience, great people, very talented engineers. Would work there again in a heartbeat. Unfortunately we didn't win a contract with NASA so a lot of people were laid off.
Amazing benefits, good work environment, AWFUL management
Technician (Current Employee) –  NVNovember 30, 2014
Been working here for several years now. Low level management is good, but once you get up to the program and director levels, its atrocious. The owners of the company value their employees (as displayed by the benefits they provide), but 95%+ of those in between are atrocious. In that regard its very much a "I dont care what you have to do -legal or otherwise- to get this accomplished." environment. Then if someone gets in trouble for following those orders, theyre left out to dry. If they dont oblige, theyre forced out. Its only a matter of time until a bigger hammer comes down and the powers at be start scrambling to abandon ship, leaving each man to themselves.

Now thats out of the way: coworkers and overall job atmosphere is otherwise awesome. Plenty of good job opportunities that are truly a joy to have. Once you become more experienced in a position, youre expected to live that position. Your work life overwhelmingly ends up having to take precedence over your personal life. Wage compensation is on the low end when compared to similar employers/fields, but the 401k and medical benefits are unmatched. 150% company match on 8% of your gross earnings in your 401k. Medical is on that same level of excellence and SNC pays 85% of your medical premiums to boot.

Bottom line: If mid-upper level management could work out their quirks, this would be the PERFECT place to grow. Currently, they seem to be more focused on quantity over quality and as a result they have ZERO interest in taking care of their subordinates in any fashion. This makes the ones who can, pursue other opportunities
  more... elsewhere.  less
Pros
401k, medical, benefits
Cons
absolute worst management experience ive ever had
Logistics Senior (Current Employee) –  Clovis, NMOctober 29, 2014
My typical day of work is that have meetings with co-workers to map out the course of action for the days work.
Enjoyed working there; management lacked foresight
Mechanical Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Louisville, COSeptember 25, 2014
I enjoyed working there, and my co-workers were all great. Work life balance was pretty good. There was a huge layoff due to a missed award from NASA. Unfortunately, management lacked the foresight to make contingency plans for funding if the award fell through.
Pros
free coffee, donuts on wed morning, great benefits
Cons
vacation time starts at only two weeks, 401 match doesn't kick in for a year
Good company before it bewcame a large government contractor
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 23, 2014
I had various titles between 2006 and 2013 while working for SNC.

In general it was a good place trying to do some positive things for the US military.

The hardest thing about working with SNC was the "small company" attitude of many of the business units. SNC grew by acquisition and there was a pronounced learning curve for many of the business units as they tried to adapt from small company agility to large government contractor requirements.

The most enjoyable thing about working there were the opportunities afforded top those who were willing to put in the work.
Pros
reward hard work
Cons
"good old boy" networks in some business units
Work out of a small strategic office. Support about dozen senior executives on daily basis.
Administrative III (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 27, 2014
Great place to work at. The owners are very giving. I have a desk job. Provide administrative support to senior executives on daily basis. Not a difficult job. Looking for something more challenging..
Fun place to work
Technical Administrative Assistant Specialist (Former Employee) –  Poway, CAJuly 9, 2014
Your an adult you know that you have to work your daily hours. Room for advancement is very little. The work is fun and the benefits you cannot pass up. Not to many employers match 150% on your 401K.
Pros
great benefits, bagel tuesdays, hours are great
Cons
no room for advancement
A company that strives for growth of its employees
Logistics Support II (Current Employee) –  Duke Field AFS, FLMay 21, 2014
Great company for setting their employees for success. Great benefits and people orientated. Company encourages educations, health and wellness.
Productive and fun
Electrical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDMay 5, 2014
has a very hands-on environment
a good place for starters
people are really nice. treat you like family
Hagerstown Senior Management is toxic and out of touch!
Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDMay 4, 2014
A very toxic environment. Senior Management does not honor loyalty, hard work or devoted employees.
benefits
Cons
senior management
Great place to work.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMarch 30, 2014
Great place to work. Company has extremely good health benefits and 401K.

4.2