Sigma-Aldrich

Sigma-Aldrich Employer Reviews

Outdated management style and lacks innovative foresight
Chemist (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 20, 2013
Pros: not much
Cons: too many to count
Management provides no incentives other than to keep your job. No bonuses or stock options (an occasional popsicle/ice cream). Career development severely lacking, no opportunities for going to conferences to keep up on technology to bring back to the company...hence the incredibly outdated equipment and procedures. It is amazing how they are still hanging on in this really fast paced global world. Bottom line is they get the employees to do all the work with very little to work with (eqiupment wise) while the management reaps the benefits of low production costs. This model would be OK but there in no employee investment, and employees are companies greatest asset. If you want to grow in your career, work here as little as possible and jump on other opportunities if they come. Very autocratic company that does not involve or value the opinions of the employees. If you are vocal and have a different point of view...this most probably will hurt you in the long run.
Material Handler (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 4, 2013
Pros: free parking
Cons: short breaks, unlimted overtime
A typical day at work consists of being productive. The company's productivity expectations are set too high for the employees who handle dangerous chemicals. Management lacks effective communication with employees. Co-Workers are very nice to another but Aldrich also has a high turnaround with Kelly Temp Services. Management hire who they want to hire based on other reasons besides work ethic and seniority. The hardest part of the job is dealing with racism. All of the managers, supervisors and HR is white. They refuse to promote black employees with the experience and education to the top. They feel threatened by black people, you are not going to get hired if you speak up and have disagreements with the rules they create. All the rules are word of mouth and are inconsistent.
Excellent work place
Sr. ABAP Consultant (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 1, 2013
 Extensive development experience in distributed technologies, Object oriented programming, analysis and design using ABAP/4.
 Experience in Workflow Design, development and implementation
 Experience in Workflow Triggering through Function Modules
 Used Deadline Monitoring in different workflow scenarios
 Workflow Error handling and workflow logs
No weekends = time for life outside of work
CUSTOMER SERVICE ANALYST (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJune 14, 2013
Atmosphere conducive to maintaining good exercise habits as there is an outdoor walking path with plenty of greenery. Not a massive "2000 Strong" type of call center. Smaller than most.
Interesting work culture
Warehouse Operator (Former Employee), Sheboygan Falls, WIJune 3, 2013
The job(s) I performed at Aldrich required you to work independently for the most part. Some days you were "under the gun". Other days were a little more bearable. Co-workers are cheerful and friendly for the most part and willing to help when needed. Safety is paramount at Aldrich, especially considering the materials dealt with there (ie. many types of hazardous chemicals). They greatly stress Process Improvement at Aldrich.
Productive and fun place to work
Customer & Sales Service Supervisor (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJune 3, 2013
Pros: great working environment, great management, and job security
Cons: it's hard to progress without science background
My typical day include managing my Strategic Account and Assoicate Teams. My Strategic account team work wth our high dollar accounts. I also supervise switchboard and mailroom employees. I consistently work on process improvements and working with our sales reps that covers those account.
Great place to start out!
Automation Specialist (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOApril 26, 2013
Pros: good work/life balance
Cons: low pay, limited advancement
Sigma-Aldrich is a great company to begin your scientific career. It is easy to switch to many parts of the corporation, as long as you are just starting out in them (such as marketing, procurement, etc.). Advancement is difficult due to its conservative culture and long time employees.
Good place to work but boring
order filler (Former Employee), Sheboygan FallsApril 11, 2013
Pros: pay great benifits
Cons: extremely boring
I worked at Aldrich for 7 years at their Sheboygan Falls plant. It was a good place to work but at times frustrating. It was a 24/7 schedule which meant 12 hour shifts. One day you could work the entire 12 and the next mabye 2 and spend the other 10 looking for the correct tools or trying to fix the machinery. Management were o.k. for the most part, if you left them alone they are not hands on. There were no difficult or hard jobs, just repetitive lifting, and EXTREME BOREDOM! I enjoyed working with my coworkers they were all friendly and that is the part I miss the most
Very productive, enjoyable place to work
Technician III (Former Employee), St.Louis,MOMarch 6, 2013
Learn a lot , very organized place ,management is very well cooperating with employees, co-workers very helpful and cooperative.
Working in Sigma -Aldrich was very enjoyable.
Good Work / Balance Too many changes
Senior Strategic Account Development Manager (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: great flexibility / good compensation / ownership of success
Cons: reactive change to market focus / products / comp decrease for 2013
Sigma Aldrich has recognized the need to reinvent itself as a research supply company. This is very positive but has brought changes far too often for the sales force. Changes to product focus, areas of accountability and even the compensation plan. From a corporate level these initiatives make sense but impact the financial security of those in the field selling the products.
A Confused Mess
Business Development Manager (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOFebruary 6, 2013
I am not sure how a company with no real vision or strategy and with the same business model as Montgomery Ward is actually still in business in this day and age. They were great before the internet but this company continually fails to innovate or change. If you are scientist, work in their labs for a few years for experience and then move on. They have surprisingly good benefits, but that is the only perk.

I personally am glad to be done with them.

Best of Luck

July 14, 2013

I worked at Sigma Aldrich for 4 years in a quality group that supported clients with biopharmaceutical products in clinical trials. It always scared me that the company management was always pushing "to cut corners" in order to save money without making an accurate assessment of how the quality, efficacy and safety of that product could be compromised. I worked 7 years for J&J prior to Sigma, and J&J never took a chance to do anything that could compromised the safety, efficacy and quality of their drugs. Of course J&J is a gigantic pharmaceutical drug, and was always under the FDA radar.

Chemist III (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: n/a
Good stable company. Benefits are reasonable. Enjoyed working at Sigma
Hard work and willing to help other
Forklift Operator/ Order Puller (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJanuary 8, 2013
Hard Working And Help Other Also Worked OverTime And Work A Lot On MyOwn And Was Very Good With Warehouse Production
Good Place
Premier Representative (Current Employee), Saint LouisDecember 16, 2012
Overall good company with good values and a nice work life balance
Great Biotech in the Midwest
Global Market Segment Manager (Current Employee), St. LouisNovember 27, 2012
Pros: excellent, accessible management, employees take pride in their work
Cons: compensation and benefits are slightly below st. louis market
Sigma-Aldrich is a great company to work for in St. Louis. The culture is professional and open. Management is very accessible and approachable. Sigma employees pride themselves on delivering quality.
Poorly managed and dangerous working conditions
Chemist (Former Employee), Haverhill, MassNovember 13, 2012
The company is very poorly managed. They have an attitude of "everyone is easily replaced" so there is no attempt to keep good employees, thus the pay is far below industy standards.

While employed with them I witnessed many serious accidents occuring that are being swept under the rug so they don't have to be reported to OSHA or EPA. There was also very little attempt to protect employee health as well. All atempts to complain are met with firing.
Place with high job security
Scientist (Current Employee), saint louisOctober 31, 2012
Nice place to work,management is really nice,they are little less on pay compared to other major companies.
Organized warehouse with strong focus on safety
Distribution Technician (Current Employee), Allentown, PASeptember 25, 2012
Pros: benefits, vacation, 401k, retirement plan
Cons: low pay, frustrating management
A typical day at work begins at 10:00 and involves a packing system based on productivity. Expectations are stressed daily for rate to be made. I've always been a team player but this job has expanded that. I've also learned to ensure the quality of my work is above expectations. Management can be frustrating sometimes. As for co-workers we always have those who go above and beyond as well as those who don't. I have been told in every review that I consistently go above and beyond to help my coworkers. The hardest part of the job is not moving to different areas of the warehouse to be cross trained even though I have expressed interest numerous times to both my supervisor and warehouse manager. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I have a secure job
Good experience.
Chemist (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 17, 2012
Good company to work for. Great benefits and culture. Managements supports their employees.
not the greatest working environment. Management was really bad and the building was in a really bad working condition
Organic Synthesis Chemist (Former Employee), Miamisburg, OHJuly 15, 2012
I would never recommend anyone to work for this place. Management is bad and the equipments and building is outdated. The company is not willing to fix anything.

About Sigma-Aldrich

Check the shelves of any research (or mad) scientist and you'll likely find Sigma-Aldrich's chemical products. The company is – Read more

Sigma-Aldrich Salaries