Sigma-Aldrich Employee Reviews

8 years at Sigma
Production (Former Employee) –  St. LouisMarch 31, 2015
I found my time at Sigma to be a great learning experience. I was very grateful for all that Sigma offered.
I never had to many dislikes in my work days. I did find the job to always have challenges as any job will have.
Sigma is a good place to start out
Spec-Marketing Technical (Current Employee) –  Bellefonte, PAMarch 17, 2015
great place to move around departments it is a plus if you have a chemistry background. do no be afraid to apply. The interviews majorly consist of situation and behavior based questions.
Great workplace
Packaging Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 11, 2015
The is a fine company to work for, just wish they had a Florida location.Wages are fair and health and dental are good as well.
Great job security but below industry average compensation
Scientist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 27, 2015
The current CEO does not respect the scientists (the bread and butter of the company) and panders to the business employees.
na
Shipping Associate (Former Employee) –  milwaukeeJanuary 14, 2015
Assembled and installed components using various tools to complete assignment. Packaged finished items and separated
rejected items.
Attached identification labeled to finished package items. Counted and recorded finished and rejected packaged items
Disassembled item, masks areas adjacent to those being refinished, and removed accessories, using hand tools, to prepare
for finishing.
Examined items to determine extent of damage and determined method of repair and restoration.
Not a fun place to work.
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Haverhill, MAJanuary 13, 2015
Too stressful to work and get low pay. A lot of Lazy people work with over there, so it is hard to work by yourself and nobody care beside you. The boss seem don't really care about you. He cared only about productivity.
Pros
Work without cutting lunch break
Cons
only 2 to 3 people work at second shift and nobody notice about your work and nobody care.
Pleasant coworkers, but backwater culture
Production (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 21, 2014
As a midwestern company that leans conservative on spending, investing on employees, and keeping up with the times, Sigma-Aldrich has some problems when it comes to keeping employees engaged and keeping processes and people up to date.

However, coworkers and most managers are very pleasant, helpful, and welcoming. Senior leadership is starting to move in a more forward-thinking direction which is great.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low-ball compensation tactics, little investment in employees
Co-workers are great
Scientist - Process Development (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis MONovember 3, 2014
Management want company to be drug discovery and not contract manufacturing
Pros
Co-Workers are great
Cons
Management is terible
chemicals
Operator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 15, 2014
Closely follow MSDS and safety procedures for distribution
Gather materials
packaged
label
Pros
Experience
Great company to gain a real word experience at out of college
Distribution Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 16, 2014
Employee receiving a lot of responsibilities from day one and are given the opportunity to solve problem in their own way.
Worked on Hana BW Development project
SAP Hana Consultant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 30, 2014
I worked as SAP Hana BW Consultant, Worked on HANA Studio,Involved in SAP SLT Replication

Worked on BW 7.3
Excellent company to work for with an exceptional culture foundation. However, corporate communication from top-down holds room for improvement
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 27, 2014
Sigma Aldrich is an excellent company to work for that truly harnesses an exceptional and diverse working culture. Sigma provides well-rounded compensation and benefit packages. However, communication is definitely an area of improvement, specifically from the C-suite to lower level roles. In addition, the company operates using multiple systems that perform the same functionality. Therefore, this causes double and in some instances triple repetitions of the same task, hence decreasing productivity and efficiency..
Pros
Great benefits, comparable salary, excellent culture, and promote diversity.
Cons
corporate communication and some poor managerial decision making
Long hours but great benefits
Shift Chemist (Current Employee) –  Sheboygan Falls, WIApril 28, 2014
Depending on workload I either work as an operator in the bays producing chemicals or type up procedures for upcoming chemical production. As part of writing procedures I have to communicate with several departments, procurement, shipping, billing... So having good communication skills is vital. Some analytical skills are needed in determining reaction completion but most tests are conducted through the quality control or development departments. Management lacks communication from department to department making start dates and starting materials hard to obtain. My co-workers are knowledgeable in the positions and are helpful. Most work is done by yourself but if help is needed someone is available. The hardest part of my job is the schedule, it is a rolling schedule and is very hard on my home life since I have small children at home. At work the schedule is also frustrating because it varies from department to department leaving us at times without support from other departments. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing my procedures produce a quality product with little to any problems.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Long hours and poor schedule
Great Starter Job
Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 22, 2014
This is an excellent job to learn about the pharmaceutical manufacturing business. They are very goal oriented and train you very well in cGMP and how to run a custom active pharmaceutical ingredient business. They do not give very good raises however, and do not want to give praise where it is ben earned.
Pros
Excellent training, good breaks and time off, great benefits
Cons
Not enough pay, can't advance unless you are a chemist
has lots of opportunities for you to grow
Sales Support Rep (Former Employee) –  ST. LOUIS MOFebruary 5, 2014
I was able to obtain 3 different positions within the company and all of the positions were very different which gave me the opportunity to learn.
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
none really
Great group of people to work with
Marketing Services Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 16, 2014
Great group of people to work with
Offer on-site cafes
Conveniently located
Great "little people" Upper management fails to recognize value
Senior Developer (Former Employee) –  St. LouisJanuary 7, 2014
Overall I had a positive experience with the people at Sigma, tho it came to an impasse, when I was given a Sigmotion (an internal term for a promotion without compensation or a new job title)

Upper management is known for offshoring/outsourcing work rather than realizing the value of its employees
Pros
cheap lunch, nice people on the ground level, good work life balance
Cons
untrustworthy upper management, low pay, constant threat of offshoring US positions
Great Company
Account Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 15, 2013
Sigma has been a great company to work for. They are constantly shuffling their sales force to ensure they are getting the correct mix.
Decent place to start.....but not to finish
CHEMICAL PACKAGING TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 13, 2013
There's not a such thing as a "typical" day at work and I really don't want to be completely negative about the company because I don't have experience in any other department other than packaging so I'll decline to comment about some of the tasks, management & the department overall. My co-workers are pretty interesting & they help the day go by a lot easier than it could be.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
No room to progress within the company
An exciting employment with lot's opportunities.
Control Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 29, 2013
Come in at 6, turned on all the light's, and all computer's.
It was great. I loved my job and every one I met.
I had the best supervisor's.Working for 21 year's
at Sigma, I made a lot of friend's. I learned a lot from every department that I was in. The most enjoyable part of my job
was multi-tasking and team work was my favorite.
Pros
benefits, working conditions, safety first, and good supervisors.
Cons
Not really much I didn't like, maybe sometimes a little too busy, but that made time go by fast.