Position: Electrical Field Designer
Sigma Infrastructure Services, a Division of Sigma Technologies, Ltd., is a team of consulting and design professionals providing process controlled expertise and resources to infrastructure projects primarily in the power utility industry. Sigma offers professional technical services for maintenance, compliance, expansion and new build projects. Visit our website to learn more about our fundamental values, services and solutions (www.teamsigma.com).
The Distribution Designer is responsible for all aspects of outside plant design services in support of power utility companies and works to complete projects within budget and scheduling restraints. The Designer reviews industry policies and procedures as well as government codes and regulations to ensure accuracy, security and compliance. He or she monitors project progress to determine or address problems and provides technical support. He/She recommends alterations to development and design to improve quality of projects and/or procedures. They are familiar with a variety of the industry’s concepts, practices, and procedures and rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. This individual performs a variety of complicated tasks; a certain degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
The Distribution Designer will:
- Collaborate with others (project managers, other engineers, designers, drafters, administration) to learn how to devise best infrastructure solutions
- Execute work orders for outside plant facilities while meeting quality, time and budget constraints
- Apply engineering design standards to underground and aerial pole line cable plant, including:
o Joint Use Design
o Make Ready
o Pole Replacement
o Primary Service
o Reliability/Maintenance Design
o Voltage Conversion
o Tie Lines
- Visually identify, inspect, and record equipment and structures in the right-of-way
- Perform field audits of existing outside plant activities
- Analyze and produce cost effective design solutions
- Perform 2-D Civil type design in CAD (AutoCAD, Micro Station, LD Pro)
- Resolve anticipated construction problems through drawings
- Select and interpret data based on design intent
- Coordinate and plan design and drafting projects
- Apply NESC Standards
- Occasionally order material and/or services from vendors
- Safety First – Nothing is so important that it can’t be done safely!
- Meet Scope, Schedule and Budget Goals
- Quality Work
- Continuous Improvement
- High Performance – self motivated/independent associates
- Personal Ongoing Development
- Bachelor’s of Science in Civil/Electrical or related technical/engineering
- Proven ability to deal with governing authorities and their requirements, negotiate with private land owners and provide instruction and guidance as needed to contractors
- Must be able to work in inclement weather, walk up to 5 miles or more a day, travel and stay at site over night and have dependable transportation and valid drivers license and insurance
- Must be able to pass a background check/drug test/driving record check
- Must be computer literate – especially Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Over 3 years Power Utility Outside Plant or Civil industry engineering design experience
- Knowledge of CAD and/or Microsoft Project a plus
- Strong technical knowledge and skills
- Ability to occasionally learn and operate customer based proprietary software and other computer systems to expedite and facilitate the work order process
- Knowledge of construction and planning procedures
- Ability to read and comprehend engineering schematics
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Basic financial skills to assist in making sound business decisions
Pay is commensurate with experience and education.
Sigma is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate based on an employee’s race, color, gender, sexual preference, gender identity, age, religion, national origin, disability, genetic
information, veteran/military status, or any other classification protected by law.
Headquartered in Perrysburg, Ohio, Sigma Network Services is a premier firm delivering experienced consulting, engineering, design and...