Position: Telecom OSP Engineer
Sigma Network Services, a Division of Sigma Technologies, Ltd., is a team of consulting and design professionals providing process controlled expertise and resources to network technology projects primarily in the telecommunications industry. Sigma offers professional technical services for maintenance, compliance, expansion and new build projects. Visit our website to learn more about our fundamental values, services and solutions (www.teamsigma.com).
The Outside Plant (OSP) Engineer is responsible for all aspects of outside plant design services in support of telecom companies and works to complete projects within budget and scheduling restraints. The engineer reviews industry policies and procedures as well as government codes and regulations to ensure accuracy, security and compliance. He/She recommends alterations to development and design to improve quality of projects and/or procedures. They are familiar with a variety of the industry’s concepts, practices, and procedures and rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. This individual performs a variety of complicated tasks; a certain degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
The OSP Engineer will:
- Execute work orders for outside plant facilities while meeting quality, time and budget constraints
- Apply engineering design standards to underground and aerial pole line cable plant, including basic outside plant circuit design, transmission and distribution procedures, cable placement and splicing practices and cable protection.
- Visually identify, inspect, and record equipment and structures in the right-of-way
- Perform field audits of existing outside plant activities
- Analyze and produce cost effective design solutions
- Resolve anticipated construction problems through drawings
- Select and interpret data based on design intent
- Collaborate with others (project managers, other engineers, designers, drafters, administration) to learn how to devise best infrastructure solutions
- Coordinate and plan design and drafting projects
- Occasionally order material and/or services from vendors
- Safety First – Nothing is so important that it can’t be done safely!
- Meet Scope, Schedule and Budget Goals
- Quality Work
- Continuous Improvement
- High Performance – self motivated/independent associates
- Personal Ongoing Development
- Bachelor’s of Science in Civil/Electrical or related Engineering OR
- Two year degree with job related experience/training OR
- Technical certification specifically in telecommunications with related work experience and/or military background in telecommunications.
- Knowledge of construction and planning procedures
- Ability to read and comprehend engineering schematics
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to deal with governing authorities and their requirements, negotiate with private land owners and provide instruction and guidance as needed to contractors
- Must be able to work in inclement weather, walk up to 5 miles or more a day, travel and stay at site over night and have dependable transportation and valid driver’s license and insurance
- Must be able to pass a background check/drug test/driving record check
- Must be computer literate – especially Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Over 3 years experience with fiber design, FTTH design, copper cable design, coax cable design, pole line design, and buried and underground design
- Ability to perform 2-D Civil type design in CAD a plus
- Strong technical knowledge and skills
- Ability to occasionally learn and operate customer based proprietary software and other computer systems to expedite and facilitate the work order process
- Basic financial skills to assist in making sound business decisions
Pay is commensurate with experience and education.
Sigma is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate based on an employee’s race, color, gender, sexual preference, gender identity, age, religion, national origin, disability, genetic
information, veteran/military status, or any other classification protected by law.
Indeed - 13 months ago
Headquartered in Perrysburg, Ohio, Sigma Network Services is a premier firm delivering experienced consulting, engineering, design and...