Signal International Employee Reviews in United States

VP Business Development
VICE PRESIDENT OF BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 5, 2015
A typical work day is filled with meetings and reaching out to contacts within the oil / gas industry to further relationships or building new ones.

Building relationships is a great ability to have, no one gets to a place of success without people.

Co-workers are a vital part of building a successful company. It takes a team effort to take a business to the next level.

Nothing particularly hard about doing a job that you love.

Building relationships and the success that goes along with that is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Not being tied to a desk.
Cons
The ups and downs of the oil and gas industry.
Average company to work for.
FIELD ENGINEER-PROJECT ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Nederland, TXJuly 29, 2015
Very difficult project as management changed mid way through the schedule. This was my first real project management and project engineering opportunities. Hardest part of the job was keeping up with the client changes as revised drawings were not furnished and changes were handled with client provided photos from previously built rigs. Most enjoyable part was learning what it took to be a project manager and project engineer.
Pros
job was close to home
Cons
software tools were not up to date.
Management sucks!!!!
JRA Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSMay 21, 2015
It was phone while it lasted, made decent money, but I had to work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day. At one point I worked 41 days in a row without a day off. What did I get in returned? I got to be laid off over the phone.
Pros
Is a job
Cons
Management sucks!!!
Overhauls
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSMarch 27, 2015
Signal takes on the jobs other yards shy away from, so expect to be asked to work a little harder. That said you get the tools you need to finish the job, but don't expect it to be fancy. The emphasis is on the end product not the tools that get it there. Very satisfying when each project is completed.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 19, 2015
Great place to work. good supervisors that know what their doing and how to run a crew, great atmosphere to work around. do your job and everything will be ok
Liaison/Lead Piping Designer on LPD22/23 construction
Lead Designer for Piping (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSNovember 15, 2014
Marked up drawings to aid the Pipefitters in the construction of numerous LPD-22 and 23 modules to be shipped to other shipyards for assembling and construction of the entire ships. Worked on ship-checking Oil Rig Frontier Driller, documenting changes made to incorporate into the rig's P&IDs.
Pros
interesting learning about oil rig platforms.
Cons
too many tall ladders on the rig.
My own opinion
Pipe Fitter Foreman (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSSeptember 2, 2014
I start in 2006 as a Pipefitter everything was fine back in that time in 2008 I get raise to a Foreman 24 workers in charge PF & PW and that's when everything change about my opinion ... My boss was and still a bad person who don't care about nothing W.A. And J.J. And now Scotty the gold color hardhat make them a bad person to deal with... I don't recommend this yard to no one who like to work safe ... If you are about money and don't care your Health SIGNAL is for you it is not a Safe place to work but make a good money
Pros
lot of hours lot of money
Cons
not a safe place to work
Another day another dollar.
JRA Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSJuly 14, 2014
A day at Signal International, I had to work on paper work for the new hires, for the current employees I had to assign permits for them to continue to work. I learned to handle tough comments are remarks,
I learned that being only 18 and working with grown adults 7 days a week was a challenge. My management was good, received what I earned. My co-workers were friendly yet bossy. I enjoyed having a 30 minute lunch, being able to have my own desk, and everyone loved to see my face every morning, I also enjoyed getting paid weekly.
Pros
laid back
Cons
bossy co-workers, 12 hour shift
Safety, quality, production and all parties happy with job performance.
Paint Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSMarch 6, 2014
Working hard. Planning multiple jobs per day per rig safely with productive outcome. Learned something new everyday. Learned various types of coatings. Worked with upper management to plan and execute all jobs. Work close with others to make certain all departments worked hand in hand for the best job for customer and company. Hardest part of job was knowing what was estimated to make certain job was completed based on what was estimated. The most enjoyable part of job was going to work daily, working with co-workers and knowing customer was very happy with the quality paint job performed.
Pros
the knowledge i gained with 1 employer for 33 years.
Cons
7 days per week, 12-16 hours per day for long period of time.
Good company to work for when they have contracts
Forman and General Forman over structural fitter (Current Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSMarch 6, 2013
Forman and General Forman over structural fitter crews of up to fifty employees. I have experience reading blue prints and running machinery. It was hard work and it kept me very busy.
Pros
signal offered opportunities for me to travel and work, opportunities for advancement
Cons
when the company has no contracts to work on they would cut my pay and put me back on tools

Want to know more about Signal International?

Ask a question
descent company
2nd Class Shipfitter/ Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Orange, TXDecember 5, 2014
I would start with safety meeting. then we would get together and set up what we needed to do for the shift. I would use the crane to get the material to my guys then myself.
Pros
alot of hours
Cons
no holliday pay or vacation
Great productive place to work at
2ND CLASS ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSApril 26, 2013
I went from knowing nothing about electrical to being a 2nd class electrician due to being employed at signal international.The pay was great and the work was even better.I enjoyed going to my job everyday.
Pros
fun and productive place to be employed at
Cons
the weather is off and on due to being so close to the water
Worked as a maintenance supervisor
Maintenance superisor (Former Employee) –  Orange, TXJune 10, 2014
Worked at Signal in the maintenance department; connect and disconnect 120, 240 and 480 panels; connect and disconnect 6 and 8 pack welding machines; wire in temporary lights and troubleshooting/maintenance repairs on welding machines and golf carts
work with good people who are very friendly
Human Resources Representative (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSJanuary 6, 2013
co-workers were very friendly, i loved waking up everyday to go to my job. everyday was different from the previous day, it was always exciting. i learned a lot of new skills during my employment there as well.
Cons
notorious for lay-offs. job security is non-existent
high turn over
Welder (Former Employee) –  orange txAugust 4, 2012
flux core welding all day every day. X-ray welding fitting ,cutting, reading blue prints. inspect welds. coworkers are great. hardest part of the job is having to show up two or three hours before the shift starts to find a machine to work with..
Pros
pay was good
Cons
not enough equipment to work with
Enjoyable work, great co-workers
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orange, TXDecember 17, 2014
I was allowed to work at my own pace and make decisions regarding how to do my job. I highly respected my Supervisor and all my co-workers.
My workday
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Orange, TXApril 8, 2014
I would relieve out going shift and then start my patrol. I would check every single gate door trailer warehouse etc....... throughout the shift i would randomly spot check everything. I would help gate guard from time to time with checking employees.
Good experience
Data Entry Clerk/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orange, TXOctober 25, 2013
Busy shipyard and very organized. My co-workers who had more experience in this type of business were always willing to teach me new things that went along with the specific job we were working on at the time.
Workplace with coffe pot, microwave, & fridga
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSDecember 12, 2012
Purchasing & expediting. Working with vendors.
Managemant Skills
Professional Management
Working Professionals
Getting vendors to respond in a reasonable time
Friendly working envionment
Productive place to work
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Orange, TXDecember 28, 2014
I learned computer skills. I was a rover checking security inside and outside, and the front gate.