Silicon Graphics Employee Reviews in United States

packer
Packer Operator (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAAugust 6, 2015
expect the tickets, leaned about the different way to check security on the tickets. management sucks. rally care about the ppl working there. co-workers were great. most enjoyable part were the time the workers would get together to have different little parties
Pros
none co-workers
Cons
on your feet all day
Office politics
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WIAugust 5, 2015
Company was in financial turmoil while I was there...declared bankruptcy a couple of times. Employees were regularly laid off with good people getting cut while lesser people stayed on because they were friends with the decision makers. It's more about who you know in the company vs. what you know. Could be good but the job instability isn't so fun.
Fun place to work
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJune 27, 2015
Silicon Graphics was an awesome company to work for even though i was a contractor thru a temp agency my time at the company was a blast back in the day they would take care of there employees and have onsite party's on Fridays My job was very hectic at times but we had a good manager at the time nothing bad to say about Silicon Graphics.
Excellent technology
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 13, 2015
Great people, like a family. Great technology. The best of the best minds at work both in the lab and in the field. A true excitement among everyone that we were making a difference in the world.
Really like working for this company.
Logistics, Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WIMay 9, 2015
Employees were really nice everyone got along great. The company had great benefits, treated their employees with respect. Really like going to work everyday. The job overall was enjoyable.
Nothing I wasn't use it
Team Lead/Picker (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 5, 2014
This job was simple and down to the point. It was typical to my previous job where i pick and pack the products to be shipped to the customers.
fun challangeing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 23, 2014
hardest part cold calling co workers are fun. reloaders make stupid money
Pros
spiffs free lunch
Cons
commission
Very productive and enjoyable atmosphere
Program Manager - Advanced Graphics/Digital Media (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAAugust 4, 2014
Many positive challenges, Excllent staff and work environment
Pros
excellent staff
Cons
changing benefits
Intensely fun, yet intensely chaotic campus culture. Superb product line.
Manufacturing Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMay 10, 2014
I would describe this company as the 'work hard/play hard' type. My direct-reports were enthusiastic hard workers. Management was extremely chaotic, and disjointed, and cut-throat. Promises were left unfulfilled. Had to choose between family well-being and company.
Pros
amazing company spirit and entertainment retreats. pretty good pay.
Cons
horrible management that managed thorugh/by fear and chaos.
Loved working at SGI
Project Engineering Manager (USA) (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 28, 2014
A typical day at work was very busy and involving. I learned a lot as I had the opportunity to work with many great engineers who taught me a lot. SGI was growing very fast at the time and I had the opportunity to go through two promotions in less than a year and a half. Management were always encouraging and providing very clear guidance. I managed a staff of 32people and was eventually transferred from the Silicon Valley to Canada working for Celestica in 1999. I got along great with my co-workers and. The hardest was when I finally had to say good bye to my staff, co-workers, managers and moved to Canada as I had accepted the transfer. I enjoyed the most, all of the various projects, technologies and the international exposure I had
Smart people, cool HPC products, interesting customers.
Senior Services Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAApril 10, 2014
SGI is a great place to work. It's small enough in size that you can make an impact daily, there's plenty of work to do, and I enjoyed working with a lot of very smart people.
Nice place to work
SR Buyer/Planner at SGI (Former Employee) –  Milpitas, CAMarch 13, 2014
nice place to work, obviously sine I was employed there for 27 yrs.
Relaxed workplace with supportive supervisors
Mechanical Intern (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COJanuary 8, 2014
Performed mechanical design using CAD interfaces. Learned to coordinate with other mechanical engineers to work as a team while integrating assemblies simultaneously.
Great place if you aren't laid off.
ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WIMarch 14, 2013
Many layoffs due to company financial stuggles.
People are great to work with but it does get edgy when layoff rumors loom.
Pros
people, atmosphere, and office overlooking deer, turkeys, and other wildlife.
Cons
financially distressed until they become long term profitable.
SGI culture is unique has been ahead of it's time in many ways. They enable maximum productivity by allowing flexibility of work hours and location.
Global Travel Manager (Former Employee) –  VirtualOctober 13, 2012
As a remote worker, the most difficult part of the job was not working all my waking hours. A typical day involved reviewing travel reports, phone meetings with management, travelers and service providers to work through issues or concerns, providing guidance on best practices, constant communication with travelers to keep their knowledge current, presentations on travel cost analysis, advising of savings opportunities, reviewing travel supplier proposals, preferred supplier management, contract negotiations, managing policy exceptions and maintaining close contact with the dedicated travel agency team directly or through my account manager. I used positive reinforcement to drive policy compliance and if necessary, direct and focused correction given for routine failure to comply. Sucessful execution of various travel projects simultaneously, such as online booking tools, travel card, contract negotiations, policy updates, group meetings/tradeshows, event planning and preferred provider selection on a global level.

I had weekly management meetings set to advise of ongoing project status, and contacted in between to advise if necessary. Co-workers were always responsive and respectful and there was a reciprical information resource sharing among us.

I thrived on knowing that I was responsible for the comfort, safety, ease of booking reservations and expense management of the travelers. They depended on me and I was available to them 24/7 as a resource or for authorization whenever they needed it.
Pros
flexibility, working virtually, and hard-working employees. i was able to save money on gas and clothing by working remotely.
Cons
company's performance, limited cash flow, lack of salary increases for 10 years
Fun place to work, relaxed enviroment, attending offsite meetings, travel
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDSeptember 12, 2012
Booking orders, quoting customers, training employees. Learning to work with different computer systems. Management always took care of their employees. I loved working with this company and was a valued employee. After 17 layoffs if finally became my turn.
Pros
at times worked late into the night
Cons
always treated with respect
fun place to work for.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CASeptember 6, 2012
A very innovative place to work for. Organization very employee oriented.
Productive and healthy work environment with free gym
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  CHIPPEWA FALLSJuly 27, 2012
a typical day at work: testing and repairing servers in a noisy environment.
what I learned: more linux.
management: good nothing extraordinary.
your co-workers: they work hard and are nice people.
the hardest part of the job: no hardest parts with the right tools.
the most enjoyable part of the job: complete a job successfully.
Pros
each facility has gym free at any time. year-round air conditioning.
Cons
ups and downs of the production, air conditioning is sometimes very cold
Sgi
Senior Financial Analyst -NSD (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJune 4, 2012
Great place to work. Flexibility and accountability are what makes it a rewarding experience to work for SGI.
It was the ultimate job. Great perks.
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  1600 Amphitheater Pkwy, Mountain View, Ca.May 11, 2012
An average day at Silicon Graphics was fun and exciting. Great co-workers and management. The most enjoyable and the hardest part of the day were one in the same. I was busy the whole day every day and the challenges were many. Overcoming challenges drives me.
Pros
on occasion were had free lunches and parties.
Cons
there were no cons, it was great. i felt so lucky to be there.

4.2