Silver Bay Seafoods Employee Reviews

Productive and very multi-cultural workplace
tote dumper, forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKDecember 11, 2016
An average workday consisted of two, eight hour shifts. I was a tote dumper for one shift, and a forklift operator for my second shift. I learned how hard I am able to push myself and realized how much that I could accomplish. I got to meet people from all over the world, and learned a lot about some other cultures. The hardest part of the job was consistently being at work, and on time for seven days a week(16 hour days). The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to enjoy my surroundings in beautiful Alaska.
Pros
free room and board, living so close to work
Cons
short breaks, lack of free time
Hard work pays off
Shipping Lead (Current Employee) –  Naknek, AKFebruary 11, 2017
This is a job that will test your work ethic. It is a great place to discover people from all over the world, save money and spend a summer doing something really productive. It's not for everyone, if you are weak minded get down on yourself a lot and can't focus then you will have a hard time. If you can work hard stay focused and are a positive person you will have the best experience ever. Make money and get strong and healthy doing it!
Pros
Money, work ethic, free room and board
Cons
Productive and fun place to work
Processor (Former Employee) –  Metlakatla, AKJanuary 20, 2017
The managers and supervisors make it a nice environment to work in. I learned how to fillet fish, caviar, and ship fresh packed sea cucumbers and fish. The hardest part was being on my feet long hours a day. But the enjoyable part of the job was the vie.
Pros
Long hours and big pay checks
Cons
Working in the cold winter.
Productive and fun work
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKJanuary 21, 2017
I was there about 3 months. The season was slow. I was doing housekeeping and it was a chill job. A lot of work though. At first it was boring because there was no work. So I ask for a housekeeping position and got it. I work a lot. Some people didn't work at all. I'm glad I made money. But it wasn't much. It was a great experience and I met a lot of amazing people. I'm not sure if I'm going back this year. But all I wanted to say was I will miss it. If only I didn't have to take care of my parent I will def go back. Anyway, it's a great place to work for to make extra money. I work 15-18 hours a day. But the payroll people needs work. I lost about 30 hours of pay. I am still mad about it because I work my butt off. That's was 30 hours of overtime pay. But whatever. Anyways, it was fun at time. Food was nasty but I lost weight haha
Pros
Free food and dorm
Cons
2 lunch breaks
Productive with long hours
Seasonal Processor (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKJuly 5, 2016
I would start the day off at 8:00am and work all the way until 12:00am. Didn't really learn anything that I didn't already know. The management was hands on helping on the line when needed. Worked well with others. The long hours were the hardest part but working with different people that I just met was the best part.
Pros
Free room and board
Cons
short breaks with long hours
Travel around and learn a lot
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 21, 2017
Silver Bay Seafoods allowed me to travel to remote locations and learn a lot about how to navigate business in a remote environment.
Pros
Always something new to learn
Cons
Extensive Travel, long hours
I worked here 3 years ago!
Laborer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKApril 17, 2016
I lasted 3 1/2 week's I worked 16 to 18 hrs everyday! i noticed as people quit no one was there to replace you! so that means you stay working infill someone can take your place! at $9.50/hr it is not worth it. If it was $13 it would be! The food was great. they did feed us well. But the management was not good. The housing smelled so bad! And a lot of people where on Drugs or drinking on the off hours which there is not even time to sleep. and to this day after working there only 3 1/2 week i have a scare on my finger's from Gutting right out of the Butcher Machine. So when i started on the machine i would do about 20 fish a min.. They would Turn UP trace Music so loud in the plant so we would fall in to a trace as we worked and with in an hour or 2 i was doing about 60+ fish a min. But if you really need the money and have no where to go i guess thats where you will go! OH do not think about quoting or getting fired! the will mail your check to your home state! If you have no money. Looks like you may be homeless in Alaska till your family gets you checks and can get it to you!! Shower's did not stay hot for long! Head space for top bunk!
Pros
GREAT FOOD
Cons
PAY! HOURS OF WORK! DRUGS! Being a slave! Cold showers!
Think Twice!
Fish Processor (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKMay 28, 2016
My experience at the Naknek plant was horrible. I was there for the herring season and got an experience I will not forget.

Management does not care about the employees at all. I got sick while I was there, the answer was take some DayQuil and go back to work. DayQuil or not, when you have a cold along with flu like symptoms working in a wet and cold environment for sixteen hours isn't going to help, it will make it worse. Bed rest is the key, but all they care about is the fish. Once I got home it took me over a week to recover from my sickness and dehydration because the water was not drinkable half the time. Also, for whatever reason management has a hard time giving a straight forward answer about questions you may have or no answer at all. It is not alright to question at Silver Bay Seafoods, you need to be unintelligent and just take in anything they tell you with no questions asked.

My advice is stay away from this company! If for whatever reason you can not get employment else where or you want a job that does not require you to think for yourself, then join the ranks at Silver Bay.
Hard work but lack of hours and production.
Sorter/Packer (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKDecember 29, 2016
Working here is a gamble. Some years there will be a lot of work and hours, but some years there will be a lack of work required and low hours. When you do work, it's going to be hard and demanding.
As a whole
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKJanuary 20, 2017
Silver Bay Seafoods had unfair employee practices. They over hired people so the workload was not distributed evenly amongst us. The sleeping area was no good. And the food was also no good.
Not a place for a long career
Fish Processor (Former Employee) –  Craig, AKMay 3, 2016
I enjoyed the scenery in Alaska. Met a new friends from different country. Working here is fast paced, unorganized, ok management, fair customer service, long hours, good pay.
dine in
Server (Former Employee) –  Simpsonville, SCJanuary 29, 2017
they would send u home if they didn't need u right when u got there. they had favorites. I love my customers. the people was most enjoyable about my job.
good food, nice bosses, facilities not too bad, great scenery
PRECESSOR, ALASKA FISHING FLEET (Former Employee) –  Valdez, AKOctober 8, 2014
working for Silver Bay was great!..Although the work is hard, you eventually get used to it and actually enjoy meeting people from all over the world and above all, you make money!
Management is really cool, they treat you as a family, and support you anywhere they place you to work, co-workers are very easy going, and the returning ones help you all the time.
The hardest part of the job is getting used to work 16 hours shifts.Alaska is not for everyone, most of the work areas are cold, wet, and you will get very, very tired.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the adventure itself..enjoy every minute of it, because most likely you will never see the same scenery again, the same people (even if you go back the next season), the same managers or the same cooks..everything changes from season to season! so, enjoy the adventure!
Pros
free room and board, laundry, wi-fi
Cons
very hard work, not many benefits.
Alaksa
PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  NANEKNovember 12, 2014
You meet a lot of cool people from different walks of life. The sceanary was beautiful. The money was good as silverbay is the highest paying company in the buisness in alaska. The only thing is the management was sorta laking managerial experience. They were really good with fish but had no idea on how too conduct a positive enviiornment to keep the crew happy and well running. The threats everyday of being fired and finding your on way back to the lower 48 as there weapon to keep employees moving was a joke. They treat everyone like they did you a favor by hiring you to come to alaska . And as I told them get outa here with that . I had money before alaska and I will have money after alaska
Pros
MAKE ALOT OF MONEY IN A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME
Cons
THEY THREATIN YOU BOUT JOB SECURITY TO MUCH
Fast-paced, Harded Working, Team Effort
Housekeeper/Fish processor (Former Employee) –  Metlakatla, AKDecember 8, 2014
Worked in all weather conditions in a seafood processing plant which included alot of standing, bending, lifting product and crates for long periods of time. Assembly-line work with all different aspects of the Human race and population from all over the world. Challenging and safety procedures
always in order. Management and co-workers always
worked together as a Team! Fun experience and lots
of nature and wild animal life.
Pros
Company provided round trip tickets to/from processing plant location, 3 Full meals a day provided, Room/board, lots of new relationships with co-workers.
Cons
Long hours up to 16hrs. per day, worked in all weather conditions in full rain gear.
Long Hours
Processor (Grader & Straightener) (Former Employee) –  Craig, AK 99921May 29, 2016
Work 16 hours a day for 7 days a week
Learned the difference species of Salmon and their meat quality
There we a lot of leads and not too friendly
Didn't care if employees get sick
Got to meet a lot of people from all over the world
Hardest part is adjusting for the work scheduled, but I eventually did.
The beauty of Alaska
Pros
Pay was good
Cons
Work 16 hours a day
Attention all information technology Professionals
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Metlakatla, AKSeptember 17, 2015
Attention all information technology techs
Do not work for silverbay seafoods if you
Like information technologies you will be
Disappointed, they do not tell you if they
Do not have work for you in information technology
They will put you on the production line
With regular workers, the people you work with
Are nice, but you were hired for IT.
Production line involves gutting and beheading fish
And packing fish, Does not matter what certifications
You have: CompTIA (A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+)
Cisco (CCNP, CCNA, CCiE) Apple (ACSP, ACTC)
International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium (CISSP)
That means nothing to this company, if you wanted to work on
The production line you could get hired as a regular worker, But
Wait why did You take the job, OH, right you work in IT, That what YOU thought, THIS Company is VERY MISLEADING, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
Pros
lots of hours.
Cons
management could give a dam about you.
Very fast workplace
Fish Processor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 9, 2016
I loved to work at silverbay seafoods, best place I ever worked at. They provide accomodation facilities, pay for your travel tickets, provide every meal for free, wash your clothes once a week, lots of overtime. Very good checks.
Pros
EXCELLENT SALARY, LOTS OF HOURS
Cons
SHORT BREAKS
Hard work with good pay
Processor (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKDecember 10, 2013
Long hours and hard work, but with a very competent and understanding management team. Met and still correspond with
many friends from Silver Bay. The hardest part of the job would have to be the repetitive nature of the work. On the plus side, I had an opportunity to save alot of money which has come in handy between contracts.
Pros
Good food, Great Managers
Cons
Standby time
Strong and stable company
ROLLING STOCK MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  sitka,alaskaOctober 22, 2015
Very strong and oriented with thier employees.good management constant enovation within the company.Very Strong management skills full of qualified people.
Pros
Food, Lodging provided
Cons
Depends on seasonal catch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Silver Bay Seafoods. Our community is ready to answer.