Silver Bay Seafoods

Silver Bay Seafoods Employer Reviews

Very taxing on ones body.
Iron butcher lead (Former Employee), Craig, AKDecember 19, 2014
Pros: lots of overtime.
Cons: very little time for sleep, let alone anything else.
I leaned the ins and outs of a production company floor from my supervisor, who had been with the company for quite some time. I enjoyed learning from him, and i enjoyed the people i lived, and worked with. The plant i had worked at however had hired one third the usual amount for a skeleton crew, but when boat after boat of fresh caught Alaskan salmon – more... were poring into the harbor the skeleton crew quickly assumed all responsibilities. Most of us were working anywhere from 14-20 hours a day. I left silver bay seafood's after several work place injuries occurred (a man had his arm crushed by a block of ice, and a girl nearly had her arm ripped of when her arm got stuck in an elevator shaft and the operator wasn't paying attention), due to what i believe was a combination of sleep deprivation and rushed training. At the time i was awake for 60 hours strait, and suffering from sleep deprivation myself, i decided to call it quits. I had family who needed me back home, and 7.75 isn't worth life or limb. A month or so after being back in Washington my friend who had remained in Alaska informed me that the production manager himself was fired for how poorly that season had been handled. – less
Fast-paced, Harded Working, Team Effort
Housekeeper/Fish processor (Former Employee), Metlakatla, AKDecember 8, 2014
Pros: company provided round trip tickets to/from processing plant location, 3 full meals a day provided, room/board, lots of new relationships with co-workers.
Cons: long hours up to 16hrs. per day, worked in all weather conditions in full rain gear.
Worked in all weather conditions in a seafood processing plant which included alot of standing, bending, lifting product and crates for long periods of time. Assembly-line work with all different aspects of the Human race and population from all over the world. Challenging and safety procedures
always in order. Management and co-workers always
worked – more... together as a Team! Fun experience and lots
of nature and wild animal life. – less
ALAKSA
PROCESSOR (Former Employee), NANEKNovember 12, 2014
Pros: make alot of money in a short amount of time
Cons: they threatin you bout job security to much
YOU MEET A LOT OF COOL PEOPLE FROM DIFFERENT WALKS OF LIFE. THE SCEANARY WAS BEAUTIFUL. THE MONEY WAS GOOD AS SILVERBAY IS THE HIGHEST PAYING COMPANY IN THE BUISNESS IN ALASKA. THE ONLY THING IS THE MANAGEMENT WAS SORTA LAKING MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCE. THEY WERE REALLY GOOD WITH FISH BUT HAD NO IDEA ON HOW TOO CONDUCT A POSITIVE ENVIIORNMENT TO KEEP THE – more... CREW HAPPY AND WELL RUNNING. THE THREATS EVERYDAY OF BEING FIRED AND FINDING YOUR ON WAY BACK TO THE LOWER 48 AS THERE WEAPON TO KEEP EMPLOYEES MOVING WAS A JOKE. THEY TREAT EVERYONE LIKE THEY DID YOU A FAVOR BY HIRING YOU TO COME TO ALASKA . AND AS I TOLD THEM GET OUTA HERE WITH THAT . I HAD MONEY BEFORE ALASKA AND I WILL HAVE MONEY AFTER ALASKA – less
good food, nice bosses, facilities not too bad, great scenery
PRECESSOR, ALASKA FISHING FLEET (Former Employee), Valdez, AKOctober 8, 2014
Pros: free room and board, laundry, wi-fi
Cons: very hard work, not many benefits.
working for Silver Bay was great!..Although the work is hard, you eventually get used to it and actually enjoy meeting people from all over the world and above all, you make money!
Management is really cool, they treat you as a family, and support you anywhere they place you to work, co-workers are very easy going, and the returning ones help you all – more... the time.
The hardest part of the job is getting used to work 16 hours shifts.Alaska is not for everyone, most of the work areas are cold, wet, and you will get very, very tired.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the adventure itself..enjoy every minute of it, because most likely you will never see the same scenery again, the same people (even if you go back the next season), the same managers or the same cooks..everything changes from season to season! so, enjoy the adventure! – less
Not a place for a long term career
CASHIER (Former Employee), Greenville SCOctober 1, 2014
Fast paced, unorganized, bad management, fair customer service, long hours, low pay
Hard Work pays off
Processer (Former Employee), Valdez AlaskaSeptember 24, 2014
The job was hard work but took time to get used to it.
Learned new methods of completing the job.
Met new people that were easy and fun to work with
Good company to work for.
Yard Boss (Former Employee), Craig, AKJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Very good people to work with. I liked the outside work setting. The engineers were very good. The Engineering Maintenance staff were excellent to work with.
good pay, great food
Processor (Former Employee), Sitka, AlaskaDecember 10, 2013
Pros: free food and housing.
Cons: short breaks.
a typical day would be going to work for 7:00am and work 12 hours processing seafood. i learned about industrial freezers and compressors. Management was good, everyone knew what to in an emergency situation. co-workers were from all over the united states and came to make money in a short amount of time. hardest part of the job was dealing with the – more... cold, and the most enjoyable part of the job was you got paid every week. – less
Hard work with good pay
Processor (Former Employee), Sitka, AKDecember 10, 2013
Pros: good food, great managers
Cons: standby time
Long hours and hard work, but with a very competent and understanding management team. Met and still correspond with
many friends from Silver Bay. The hardest part of the job would have to be the repetitive nature of the work. On the plus side, I had an opportunity to save alot of money which has come in handy between contracts.
Silver Bay Seafoods
Dock Worker (Former Employee), Valdez, AKSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: fast money
Cons: hard work
Typical work day starts off with walking up at 9:00PM and working for 16 hours. every 4 hours you get a 15 min break and every 8 hour you get a 30min meal (break included in the meal)
The closest town is about a 10 min walk and a 20 min walk to the only Safeway around. which is also their biggest store.
Productive and Accurate
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Sitka, AKAugust 26, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks
long day starts at 6:AM to 10:30 PM.I learned from this job that I can stand longtime of hours and be Hard worker.
My co-workers are polite and good. The hardest part of this job is the loud voices environment but the most enjoyable part is experience and learning new things.

About Silver Bay Seafoods

Silver Bay Seafoods is an integrated processor of frozen, headed and gutted salmon for domestic and export markets. In 2008, the – Read more