Silver Bay Seafoods Employee Reviews

trabajo duro
Empacadora (Former Employee) –  AlaskaJanuary 18, 2018
trabajo con largas horas de jornada y Poco Tiempo de descanso
High stress, exhausting environment.
Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Valdez, AKDecember 27, 2017
Cold, wet, undesirable conditions. You will catch something they call "fish lung"--breathing in the cold wet air for sixteen hours a day will make you have a bad, raspy, musty cough. 16 hour work days, 7 days a week, no exceptions. Careless management, good supervisors. Free room and board, however the meals were very low in nutritional value. The dorms are very poor, some rooms have 6 people and all rooms are very hot. Very close walk to town, right by the water, absolutely stunning views. Only a couple months long--good, quick money. You can do anything for a couple months. They DO NOT provide couples housing unless you have proof of marriage!!!--They are strict about it.
Excelent job
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  AlaskaDecember 11, 2017
Very nice job is very hard but in the end very nice compensation and meet a lot people , if you want to make money is the right please to go but remember we are to work hard for the long hours
Pros
Need to work with the food
Cons
Very nice place for work in my on experience
Hard work
Seafood Processor (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKDecember 10, 2017
I worked for the company silver bay seafoods llc last year on the h2b visa. It was a good skill for me !!! accommodation and meals at the expense of the organization. enough working hours.
The hardest part of the job
Seafood Processor (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKNovember 22, 2017
The hardest part of the job for me was knowing whether or not I was going to get to work, and if work was going to come at all this last season. It was very stressful on my pocketbook; being so far away from everything- and having to start my life from scratch- it just didnt happen this time. However, I am hoping for a better turn out next year. Because the management is phenomenal.
Pros
Room and board, excellent management, accomodations
Cons
crowded bunk situation, hours of work vary according to mother nature, not management.
A lot of work
Loading Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKNovember 17, 2017
Very fast paced a lot of hours a lot of overtime. No personal time pretty much all sleep and work. If you haven't done this type of work before it's not for the faint-hearted
Pros
Beautiful environment
Cons
Stressful long hours hard work
Very Hard Work
Processor (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKNovember 13, 2017
It's more of a mental challenge then anything because you are away from family for a couple months on a designated island. Your working for more than 10 hours a day and its the same thing everyday until the fishing season is over.
Work hard, get paid, simple equation
Processor (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKNovember 10, 2017
Not a job for snowflakes. Show up, work long and hard, get paid, go home. You are fed and housed so no rent or food bills. Don't be an idiot and spend your money on booze and other non-necessities. Keep your head down for 45 days, bank your cash, and go home with $10k.
Great management, hard working team
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKNovember 9, 2017
It was a great experience to be a part of this company. Hard work is always appreciated. Team oriented. Very friendly management and team. As it is seasonal job - you have to work your hardest. Great company to be a part of.
Great Experience.
Deck Hand (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 6, 2017
Required a lot of will and determination. Was very demanding but once you get used to it, its really good. The view and food was very good and it was wonderful overall.
Get paid, work hard, get sick...
Seafood Processor (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKOctober 31, 2017
The company is plenty honest about the conditions of the work required. People tend to complain about the long work hours, the cold, getting sick and not getting any sympathy. They're not in the business of babysitting hundreds of employees. Fish always come first, then the equipment, then the workers.

My honest suggestion, take plenty of cold medicine, cough drops, whatever you typically need when you're sick at home. You WILL GET SICK.

The work is not for everyone. Have a good reason for being so far from home. Money for school, travel, whatever motivates you.

The food is what it is. Never anything 5 star but you will get fed plenty.

Drink plenty of water, take vitamins, use muscle ointment, take pain meds.
Pros
PAY! Good conversation, good hard working people.
Cons
Short breaks and long hours.
run away
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Valdez, AKOctober 27, 2017
everything is wrong with it !!! you are a slave sometimes you get crazy amount of hours, you hardly get any sleep , the food sucks. everyone gets sick , you are not allowed to stay in the dorm if sick, you are forced to go to work if you dont you get fired and if you do you are stranded in te middle of nowhere in the cold.
if you really need the money you could make significant amount but it all depends on the fish and if you can handle it !
Fish Processing Plant
Fish Processor (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKOctober 20, 2017
Fish Processing plant. You work 16 hour days and after 3 meal periods, your left with only 6 hours of sleep. Management doesn't really care except about how fast you can go and the work is long, hard, repetitive.
Pros
Good Money
Cons
Brutal work to get it
Ambiente de trabajo divertido
Food Processor (Former Employee) –  AlaskaOctober 13, 2017
Ambiente de trabajo bajo mucha presiĆ³n, con muy buena paga, la cual disfrute mucho y volveria a trabajar para ellos..
Pros
Buena paga
Cons
No plan medico y la comida poco apreciable
Its an experience
Seafood Processor (Former Employee) –  Sitka, AKOctober 9, 2017
This job is more suited to people that don't have monthly bills and just want to rack up some extra cash. I would not recommend as a permanent job or career unless you are starting young and pursue it. most of the money seems to be in the higher placed positions, so you would have to really invest time and effort.
Pros
get to see Alaska
Cons
no benefits
Silver bay
Salmon Processer (Former Employee) –  Valdez, AKSeptember 13, 2017
Long hours, hard work, but you get to enjoy working with the people around you and everyone works hard to keep up with the factory's demands. This is a good job for anyone who needs to make money fast. As there is always more work to do.

Cons
If you get sick or ill your on your own. I had a foot condition due to working with water in my boots, and was left ditched on the far side of town at 3am. Ended up walking back on my feet through through a thick fog in the middle of the morning.

Extremely low hourly pay, expect to make your money on the overtime

Wouldn't send my family here.
Pros
Free rooms and board, good food
Cons
Hard work, cold work, harsh working conditions
Salmon Season
Commercial Fisherman (Former Employee) –  Naknek, AKSeptember 3, 2017
Helped us to deliver fish load and always had best management. The best company that provided us with spot on service in sometimes less than favorable conditions.
Pros
food, showers, and compensating
fish technician
Fisheries Technician (Former Employee) –  AlaskaAugust 31, 2017
I liked my job with Silver Bay Seafoods. It was a learning day every day , working with fresh food and keeping it that way till it left the plant was what I worked at. When I worked there it was right for my age it was early hours, long hours into the night at times. I worked with people from different countrys and it was very nice for me. I did tests on all sorts of things, from machinery to cleaning up of plant to testing fresh water and the caught fish.
Pros
living in the plant housing and food prepared there.
Cons
writing people up on being not clean.
Work at Silver Bay
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  AlaskaAugust 21, 2017
I did not enjoy my work at Siver Bay Seafoods. There was a lot of favoritism. We were also promised certain work hours. But this did not happen. Did not earn what was promised.
Pros
Cons
bad management
Processor (Former Employee) –  Valdez, AKAugust 16, 2017
Did not like the treatment from management they did not have a control over employees and the company gives you a lot of hope but at the end they try every little detail to not give employees their job bonus

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Silver Bay Seafoods. Our community is ready to answer.