Simmering Soup Kitchen, LLC has an immediate opening for a full time Purchaser. This new position will support our Plant Management by taking on the day to day buying responsibilities for our facility.
Simmering Soup is a growing food processing business with a production facility located in Midtown Atlanta. We produce refrigerated entrees, soups, salads, sandwiches and wraps for discerning customers in the grocery and food service sectors. We have an extensive product line that is constantly changing and expanding, and many of our ingredients are fresh, highly perishable food items.
The Purchaser will be responsible for ensuring an uninterrupted flow of materials to supply our Production department. This position will also contribute to delivering on key performance indicators such as fill rate, on-time delivery, inventory turns and delivery of budgeted margins.
- Conduct regular physical inventories of frequently used materials and reconcile ERP inventory levels with physical inventories.
- Purchase ingredients, packaging and production materials at market competitive prices to replenish inventory as needed
- Recommend alternate supply sources based on comparison of alternative vendor product, quality, and pricing
- Identify supply sources for new ingredients
- Responsible for vendor assessment and audits.
- Responsible for developing strategies to manage material spikes, new material introduction and material seasonality
- Manage the inventory ensuring consistent availability of ingredients, packaging and materials to supply production schedule and maintain 100% on time delivery
- Resolve any out-of-stock issues on a daily basis
- Address shipment quantity or quality issues with vendors.
- Maintain current files on assigned vendors including current vendor price lists.
- Communicate with Production to ensure that all information regarding late or unusually large shipments is provided in a timely fashion.
- Attend meetings with vendors to increase product knowledge.
- Associates Degree or higher
- Minimum of two years’ purchasing experience in food manufacturing. Experience with perishable materials preferred.
- Strong organizational skills; detail-oriented
- Strong communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to research, network, and gather information and resources to source materials.
- Must be able to speak, read and write effectively in English.
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel. Experience with Batchmaster a definite asset.