Simmons College

Simmons College Employer Reviews

A day in the life of a maintenance man
Buildings and Grounds (Current Employee), Boston, MAOctober 13, 2014
The best part of any day at work is when I have made a customer happy. There are few work request that make me cringe, they usually involve a clogged drain. At one time I was learning quite a bit at work, cutting in and installing new door ways, how to install ACT ceilings, office renovations to name a few. Now the crew is so small we are not able to do much of this work anymore and outside contractors are used. For me this is the hardest part of the job, no longer mentally stimulating.

The benifits are some of the best I have ever received. Although they have changed for new employees.
.Net Developer
Software Developer (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 19, 2014
• Solid understanding of OOP, Object Oriented Analysis and Design (OOD), and RDBMS concepts.
• Extensive experience with TDD and creating web applications using the ASP.NET MVC framework as well as some experience with ASP.NET Web Forms applications.
• Experience in Entity model implementation using .NET Entity Framework.
• Solid understanding and experience in ADO.NET and LINQ to interact with RDBMS.
• Programming Knowledge in creating and maintaining SQL Databases, Tables, Stored Procedures, Triggers, and T-SQL.
SUper
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAApril 22, 2014
Great learning environment. Not overly competitive but you definitely need to go after opportunities, they are not always available.
fun atmosphere
Cashier/Food service (Former Employee), Brookline, MAApril 8, 2014
Pros: free lunch, meeting different people
Cons: some staff was uncooperative
Simmons was a nice place to work at it showed me how to be more independent as well work with a team. my co workers were great and the diverse students that I have came in contact with was a plus. The hardest part about this job was sometimes providing the necessary assigned lunches for students who have requested them. Some were picky and very unsure of what they wanted. Also some staff was very unreliable at times to help out. It was a great experience overall.
Great Non-profit client experience.
Studio Five (Current Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 10, 2014
Studio Five is a faculty-supervised communications workplace where collaborative teams of students produce projects for non-profit clients. Clients’ communications needs are analyzed and optimal solutions for budget and deadlines are provided. The relevant issues of agency/client/vendor relationships and project management are integrated. Current clients my team and I are working on are Project Bread, A Little Easier Recovery and the Undergraduate Orientation at Simmons College.
Good Co-Workers, Enjoyable Workplace
Junior Programmer (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: not very uptight atmosphere, friendly co-workers
Cons: some times people outside technology can be hard to work with
A typical day included fixing Datatel Screens and writing new subroutines for screens.
This job was my first foray into academic software solutions, but I feel I got the hang of it fairly soon.
No professional development opportunities; no room for advancement
Student Services Manager (Current Employee), Boston, MANovember 13, 2013
Pros: good benefits
I have been here five (5) years and have created/implemented a customer service resource center. Now that it is fully functional, there is no real professional challenge afforded by this job or company.
Flexible Hours
Accounts Receivable Manager (Former Employee), Boston, MANovember 1, 2013
Too many new programs added without adding staff to handle them.
Productive and Educational
Group Member (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 17, 2013
I was a peer Mentor and was was in charge of mentoring teenage girls. I had group discussions and worked together to build each other up.
A great place to work and learn.
Dietetic Intern (Former Employee), Boston, MAJuly 15, 2013
A great place to work and learn. As a student, I had an solid educational experience.
Good benefits in higher education
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Boston, MAJune 20, 2013
Performed daily PM. Then completed assigned work orders and special projects as scheduled.
work place
girl groups (Former Employee), Boston, MAJune 18, 2013
Pros: lunch
Cons: funn\
it was a girl group we just talk about personal things it was a summer job run through abcd so I only work for about 3 week in the summer time but it was fun working there
It's a nice place to work
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAJune 10, 2013
The hours were very flexible and I had kind and dependable coworkers.
A slow but steady workplace that can provide some challenges.
Technology/ Event support assistant (Current Employee), Boston, MAApril 28, 2013
Pros: cafe's, good employees
Cons: very slow paced more than often, no room for advancement, no benefits.
Simmons college is a great institution to work for. They can really work with your availability and skill level. No room for advancement or to roll over into benefits. A great place while in college or just graduating. Simmons is a good stepping stone for Event/Technical support positions.
Simmons
Sr. Instructional Designer (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 30, 2013
This was a contract position so many of the benefits did not apply to me.
Work study
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 7, 2013
Enjoyed working here for work study. Great management learn many new skills.