Simmons Foods

Simmons Foods Employee Reviews

good place to get hands on experience
supervisor (Former Employee) –  ArkansasJanuary 16, 2016
Good place to get hands on experience, the management team are not consistent with their decisions for salary employees
Great company very family oriented
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Southwest City, MODecember 18, 2015
I have not worked for Simmons for very long, but in my short time the whole team has been more than welcoming. From what I see most employees are happy to be here and get along well together. I will try to update this as I gain years with Simmons.
Review
Temp. Taker (Former Employee) –  Van Buren, ARNovember 18, 2015
had a good experience at what it was like working inside of a cook plant. Lot more expected, but went pretty well. the hours aren't too bad, but management always have some type of way to let you know how you're doing.
Pros
pay rate
Cons
Shipping/Receiving Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Van Buren, AROctober 9, 2015
I have enjoyed growing and gaining experience with Simmons Foods. Management is not over bearing and you feel like you make an impact and are an important part of the company.
Pros
advancement
Cons
?
Good place to work people are first class
Grinding Room Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pennsauken, NJSeptember 23, 2015
I manage 35 people in the grinding room, production, and packaging. I work 12 hour shifts for 3.5 days then off for 3.5 days. I have learned a lot about pet food canning, lean initiatives, and safety in the canning industry. My coworkers are great, Management is very supportive. The hardest part of the job is when equipment fails and we need to meet orders. The most enjoyable part is working in the team environment we have.
Pros
healthcare, schedule
Cons
Getting the floor personnel motivated.
You're a number, not a person
Quality Assurance/Food Safety Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Van Buren, ARJuly 1, 2015
Expected more than the job description, high turn over for legitimate reasons. If you were the first person to show and the last person to leave they would still tell you you're not working enough.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Too many hours
Responsive to the needs of the customer
Shipping and Receiving (Current Employee) –  Van Buren, ARJune 9, 2015
Each day I show up early to inspect the tote covers and make sure they are clean and secure. I will then fill the position of manifestor, pallet jack, and forklift operator, or any other position needed in any part of the plant that I was currently. I have learned that the key to a successful day is great foresight in management and communication from staff. My co-workers each have a task and we are able to communicate for most of the time. What I do not like is the lack of listening from my lead about what is a good alternative to any situation, and the lack of experience in the field.
Pros
Cleanliness and Payment punctuality
Cons
Lack of real concern of opinions of staff under leads
good place
Chick room attendant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ARFebruary 4, 2015
going in early in the mornings. Management was alright. co-worker was good people to work with. The hardest part of the job was making sure that we had enough chicks for each house.
Pros
co-workers are very good people to work with.
Cons
when the lines broke down for a long time.
Good first job in management
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Siloam Springs, ARDecember 29, 2014
Simmons was a high-pressure employer. It was my first experience in management out of college and really taught me about managing people, time, processes and stress. It was a very high stress job. I was the line supervisor starting out in evis and then moved to live hang. The entire plant was dependent on my area so it had to run smoothly. The shift manager made sure I knew that and stayed on me pretty hard.

There really was no work/life balance. It was all work. I went in at 3:00 am and got off at 2:30 pm. Night shift schedule was even worse, especially if there was rework. There was always the chance that something broke I could get called to help. Saturday work was random so it was impossible to plan anything for your family on the weekends. They required to notify the team by Thursday before if the plant was going to run on Saturday so there was only really one day notice of weekend work.

I gave management 3 stars here because I had both the worst manager I have ever worked for and one of the best managers I have ever worked for both at Simmons. I moved from night shift (worst manager) to day shift (best manager) and the experience was completely different.

All that being said, the culture here is GREAT. The people were honest, hard working people. I'm not bilingual but have some Spanish skills that came in real handy. By the time I left there I was nearly fluent.

If you are looking for a good job to get started in management, Simmons really teaches you a lot. I don't know if they still do LEAN there, but those skills have translated throughout my career and employers
  more... are willing to pay for people that have experience with LEAN. The best part about this as a first job is it teaches you to deal with stress and responsibility.  less
Long hours and days but good pay and room for advancement.
Manifestor (Former Employee) –  Siloam Springs, ARNovember 11, 2014
I have worked at Simmons twice so far as a summer job between school years. I worked 40-60 hours a week, and I've worked as a QA and as a manifestor for the DSI department. There is room for growth if you work hard. The pay is good. I made 10 as a manifestor and 11 as a QA.
Pros
pay, room for growth
Cons
hours, cold
I enjoyed being able to use my Human Resource skills to help others
Human Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Van Buren, AROctober 22, 2014
I enjoyed working for Simmons Foods, I used my payroll and HR skills daily as well as basic data entry skills. The most challenging part of my position was communicating with those with a different language. I tried to learn to I could communicate the best I could.
Productive and fun workplace
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Siloam Springs, ARSeptember 29, 2014
A typical workday consisted of working on fixed asset accounts, construction in process accounts, work in process accounts, lease expense accounts, and preparing spreadsheets for the auditors.
Horrible Place to work only if you must
worker (Former Employee) –  MOSeptember 13, 2014
A typical work day means doing everything without asking for help. You maybe ask to work extra hours because people tend not to show up to work. No job training and if you get train they are not qualify to train you. If you do seek out management or Human Resources they will turn you around because they do not want to waste time on you. The coworkers are scare to say anything because they are afraid to get in trouble by management. The hardest part of the job is that they have rules in place and they are not enforced to protect your job and help you out when they are most needed. They make you sign things in a rush you have no idea you are signing your rights away.
Pros
free clinic
Cons
horrible hours, demanding expectations
Out of control
Lead (Former Employee) –  Van Buren, ARJuly 18, 2014
Everyday was a rush and never ready day. The front of the line was ready before the back of the line. Everything was always go, go, go. I learned how to do Q.A., and H.A.C.C.P. Learned how to manage time and schedules. Management here was really different and unorthodox. The co-workers were hard to work with, didn't speak English, didn't listen or follow rules. When we lost workers due to legal reason it was hard to be productive when short on workers. Not being able to speak the same language was a big barrier. Not really anything I enjoyed about this job.
Pros
n/a
Cons
pay, workers, management, setup
Good Hours
Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Van Buren, ARNovember 14, 2013
The people were really nice. I learn i lot to work under pressure, learn to work a lot with numbers
Pros
n/a
Cons
healthcare
Productive and fun
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  MOAugust 14, 2013
A typical day at work is waiting in line for smocks. Once the hour begins, everyone gets really busy. It's a wonderful place to work because there is always something for everyone to do, so boredom is out of the question. The managers and supervisors are SUPER NICE! All the co-workers are very nice. Everyone always smiles and asked if I needed help. There is really nothing hard about the job, everything is all about learning. Once you learn how to handle the products or what to do with them then it's a piece of cake. I really enjoyed working with this company because I stayed busy throughout my shift. And that's me, I like to stay busy.
Pros
free thanksgiving lunch for everyone. christmas gifts for kids and drawings, people could win giant "flat screens!"
Cons
it's just the hours, most of the times we only get 36-38 hours. it would be nice if we could get more hours.
Productivy
Quality Control, Supervisor Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Van Buren, ARApril 30, 2013
taking care of the breading lines maintaning great USDA regulations was being followed. the co-worker was awful
Pros
overtime
Cons
short lunch breaks
Challenging career that keeps you on your toes
QA /HACCP Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Siloam Springs, ARApril 8, 2013
Started around 5:30am and ended around 5:00pm. I learned how to deal with management and customers on a professional level. Working hand and hand with management on a daily basis. Team work with co-workers is a must. The hardest part of the job was the dealing with different percetions from the government regulatuions. The easiest part was being able to motivate team workers to fulfill customer satisfaction.
Pros
being able to meet and exceed goals
Cons
health care
Fast paced environment
Food Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Siloam Springs, ARApril 1, 2013
Oversee processes, manage employees
Work with Production management team
Good place to work at , people are nice
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Southwest, PAMarch 19, 2013
Typical day at work is working at own pace as long as you get your work done, what needs to be done at end of shift. If time start doing extra so you are ahead for the week. Management is ok to get along with. Hardest part of job is not being stressed but have leaned that it is a chalenge. Most enjoyable part is working with people for so long they become part of family.
Pros
learning
Cons
dealing with mangement when they have to do something they don't want to do for benifit of company