Simon & Schuster Employee Reviews

Challenging yet friendly work enviroment, teaches the importance of being a team player.
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Riverside, NJNovember 18, 2016
At Simon & Shuster theres always something new to learn & it keeps you on your toes. It can be hectic at times but that makes it beneficial to becoming a dedicated employee who understands the meaning of team work. It teaches you how to take suggestions or orders from other employees as well as when to take the lead.
Pros
Benefits & competitive pay
Cons
Difficulty recieving first shift positions
Mediocre
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Riverside, NJJune 23, 2016
The job itself is easy enough, but the management and treatment of staff is appalling. Not only is there severe differences in how they treat third shift compared to first or second, they do not treat their employees as people at all. The managers all pick favorites, and if they do not like you, regardless of reasoning, they will cut corners and gloss over facts to ensure you are fired. I myself was fired for being too sick to work, with a doctor's note and everything. Like I said before, the job is easy, the pay is fair, but definitely not worth it if you respect yourself as a human being.
Pros
Fair pay, easy work, friendly coworkers
Cons
Poor work conditions, monotony, unfair treatment by supervisors, dehumanization
All Consuming, but great people
Associate Level (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2016
It is a tough place to work. It is fast paced and, at times, all consuming. However, it is a very bright, motivated, and friendly staff. The people are great to be around.
Pros
Free books
simon and schuster
material handeler (Former Employee) –  Delran, NJMarch 9, 2016
This job pays well but very drama filled and a lot of unprofessionalism here within management I didn't stay long very uncomfortable
Hard Work for Hard Workers
Production Coordinator (Current Employee) –  new york, nyJanuary 20, 2016
A typical day of work. Great place to work. I started when i first began my career out of school after the New York Senate. The best think about working here is the cool books we make.
Was A Fun Place To Work For, Then Went Downhill
Split Case Picker (Former Employee) –  Riverside, NJDecember 8, 2015
When I came there in 2006 I loved working there because it was the most simple and understandable job you could ever work for. Then in about 2008 they started to bring voice picking to make the pace of picking faster, but what we got was nothing but frustration, and tiring work, because of going faster than you were usually doing before. Then in about 2010 they started to have you work overtime, it was great because of the extra money you got at the end of the week but they were doing that every single day of the week and for me I was working full time night shift from 3:30 to 12:00, but with the overtime I had to stay until 2:00 in the morning which was exhausting and the worst part was I had to walk home and did't get home until about 2:30 so obviously I went to bed close to 3:00 in the morning. Finally I like to say if you want to work there go for it, cause I'm not trying to discourage you from working there, but I'm just telling you my experience of working there through those years.
Pros
Simple to understand, Friendly People to work with, great work pay whether part time or full time, good benefits
Cons
Too much of fast pace, don't give you the credit you deserve, the voice picking can be a hassle, way too much of overtime, tiring, and at times the frustration will kick in
high energy book publishing company
LAN Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2015
worked at Simon and Schuster almost 20 years ago, at the time a book publisher, just getting emerge in technology, learn valued learning experience about the book publishing world
Pros
exposure to book publishing process and procedure
Cons
nothing to complain about
good culture management leadership change
warehouse worker (Current Employee) –  Riverside, NJOctober 27, 2015
stable company good atmosphere not a lot of career advancement or skill development long hours mandatory overtime frequently
always busy
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  riverside, njJune 17, 2015
The work is great because it helps the day go by faster. The work is interesting and very easy.The pay is also great! The employees are very nice and sociable.
Fantastic work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJJune 1, 2015
Simon & Schuster was a leap ahead career wise for me. I took on a new role as Executive Assistant to the VP of Sales as well as a new role in training sales reps on a contact software program where I was able to travel. The day was always filled with new tasks at a busy pace and my manager had a dynamic personality and taught me so much about leadership.
Interesting and productive company
Publishing Assistant, Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2015
Simon & Schuster is a premier English book publisher with an exhaustive list of writers whose contributions in their respective fields have been massive. Having the opportunity to work alongside such talent has been extremely fulfilling.
Good work environment
Paper Purchasing Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2015
Good work environment, salary increases are hard to come by! I don't mind going into work every day but the compensation does not equal the amount of work I do.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
salary
Great people, weird office culture
Associate Digital Video Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2015
It's an excellent company, and CBS is fantastic. Be prepared to defend your choices and mistakes assertively, and you will do well.
Good for skill development
Supervisor of Inventory Control (Current Employee) –  Delran, NJFebruary 2, 2015
While with S&S, I got an opportunity to develop my research and analytical skills. Inventory Control has also further developed my ability to use Access for Data Mining and reporting.
Pros
Work in a cross functional team
Cons
Limited resources
can't live on free books alone
Editorial Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 4, 2014
I wasn't prepared for what the job culture in publishing would be like. The training process relies on the more seasoned assistants teaching the newbies how to do everything. I was lucky that my predecessor still worked in the building, but the learning curve was still steep. And the experience you have as an EA will vary A LOT based on who your boss is.
It's the policy in some imprints that an EA can't be promoted until s/he has done the job for three years.
The base entry level salary is $33k, which is on the low side for the industry.
Assistants tend to work from 9-6, or later, and work through lunch, but we're paid for 7 hours a day. Despite what they'll tell you at orientation about "timesheets," no one uses them, overtime pay doesn't exist at S&S.
Pros
free books, easily accessible office location, coworkers in my department are great people overall
Cons
low salaries, difficult to advance, virtually no training, very "corporate" mindset
Great People to Work With
Digital Marketer (Current Employee) –  NY, NYOctober 13, 2014
I can't speak for every imprint, but I enjoyed the people I worked with and the work I did. Very accommodating and supportive.
Pros
Get to work for one of the major publishers in the world
Cons
They are still transitioning and experimenting with new media. They're getting there, though.
Great company to work for
Senior Desktop Publishing Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 30, 2014
Learned a lot about bookmaking process (typography, working with art, digital optimization) and converting books to digital format. Plant tours and in-house publishing courses to continue gaining knowledge. Supported my career and desire to continue graduate studies in management/technology.
Pros
Free beverages, tuition reimbursement, 401k, bonuses
Easy Work
Emailed supervisor (Former Employee) –  RiversideApril 23, 2014
Every day was good day. I disliked when we short handed. Staff was very nice and made me feel comfortable.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not too much work
AMAZING place to work
Shipping Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Riverside, NJApril 7, 2014
They have one of the BEST company mottos and they stick to it....very nice to see.
It was a wonderful experience working for them. I use to get free books.
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2014
Learned how to be a bit more fast paced while working here.
The manager was friendly, and very caring.
Decent pay rate.
Loved working in the city.
Met new people everyday (including celebrities).
Pros
Free books!
Cons
No health care, off the books, when manager went on vacation I didn't get hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simon & Schuster. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9