Simon & Schuster Employee Reviews

Quick Pasted
Forklift Operator/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Bristol, PASeptember 26, 2017
It was a environment because we had book orders going across the country and around the world. Orders had to be at the destination by a certain time and day. It was enjoyable to work there
Pros
Free books
Cons
Long days
Good Company -
Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Englewood Cliffs, NJAugust 16, 2017
I worked there 20 years ago. The Division I worked for was sold just after I left but while I was there it was a good friendly company with good benefits and room to grow
Pros
Good Working environment
Cons
No good career path
Great Place to work
E-Commerce Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Delran, NJAugust 8, 2017
Simon and Schuster is an awesome place to work. A typical day consisted of light to heavy computer work. Interacting with other office workers and admins. The people were great, the environment was great and the perks were awesome.
Pros
The experience was awesome
Cons
N/a
Great place to work for dedicated employees
HR Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Delran, NJJuly 21, 2017
I worked from 10am - 2:30pm and got 1/2 hour to eat lunch.

I learned HR policies and procedures and how a good company manages employees. It was fair and efficient and they also took the human aspect into consideration.

When I spoke to management about my need for more hours; they told me they could not give me more hours but they could give me more money. I received $3 more an hour.

The hardest part of the job was the ambiguity at times.

The most enjoyable part was being involved in the rewards programs they provided for their employees. It was uplifting!
Pros
Valued as an employee and person
Cons
When corporate phases out a position management doesn't have a say
Did what I needed.
Author (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2017
Simon Schuster was able to get me an impressive advance on my book. I would have appreciated less motion within the company and more assistance moving forward.
productive
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Delran, NJMay 13, 2017
Simon and Schuster was a great place to work. Working third shift was a challenge all together. I like the work place but I love the fact that it was a book warehouse I like to read. People was very well educated and promoted a safe environment.
Pros
books
Cons
third shift
Fun and Challenging Environment
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 26, 2017
Excellent diverse people to work with and great location in midtown. Highly recommend them as an employer. The pay is on the low side.
good place to work
Shipping Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol, PAFebruary 17, 2017
To load all out bound trucks.To ensure all materials are delivered to departments in a timely fashion.Oversee in bound trucks are unloaded.
Pros
good people to work with.
Cons
they moved
Rewarding place to work...to a point
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2017
A great place to gain some valuable experience, learn and build many skills, and work alongside some brilliant people. Very reasonable work/life balance.

BUT, the pay and benefits are pathetic. It is not a meritocracy so the best, and sometimes only, way to advance is leveraging another offer. Corporate leadership is very suspect and flat out lazy or just plain clueless. The company will do anything to make a buck despite its grandstanding as a progressive, venerable institution. Internal work flow and chain of commands are confusing. Operating systems are outdated. People quick to pass the buck and even quicker to attach themselves to the credit.
Pros
Good people, worthy projects, work/life balance
Cons
Incompetent leadership, pathetic pay, little chance of advancing
Challenging yet friendly work enviroment, teaches the importance of being a team player.
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Riverside, NJNovember 18, 2016
At Simon & Shuster theres always something new to learn & it keeps you on your toes. It can be hectic at times but that makes it beneficial to becoming a dedicated employee who understands the meaning of team work. It teaches you how to take suggestions or orders from other employees as well as when to take the lead.
Pros
Benefits & competitive pay
Cons
Difficulty recieving first shift positions
Overworks staff relative to industry, no management oversight
Various (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 20, 2016
Who manages the managers? In three vastly different roles, S&S demonstrated to me that there is limited culpability at the managerial level, and the little people are rarely protected from working long hours for little pay.

But perhaps the most egregious fault is S&S's insistence upon pushing their employees and authors to meet unrealistic production schedules. S&S has a reputation for doing books faster and cheaper than the competition—but so much is lost with that mentality, from the quality of the finished book, to the trust the authors have in the publishing house, to the mental stamina of the overworked employees, constantly pushed to 115%.

S&S does have fantastic people, who make you excited about the job and proud of your work. And you will get to see some exciting projects come to life. But there's a reason why the other Top Four are more desirable places to work.
Pros
friendly coworkers, ability to move departments
Cons
incomplete/confusing chain of command, unrealistic expectations
Mediocre
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Riverside, NJJune 23, 2016
The job itself is easy enough, but the management and treatment of staff is appalling. Not only is there severe differences in how they treat third shift compared to first or second, they do not treat their employees as people at all. The managers all pick favorites, and if they do not like you, regardless of reasoning, they will cut corners and gloss over facts to ensure you are fired. I myself was fired for being too sick to work, with a doctor's note and everything. Like I said before, the job is easy, the pay is fair, but definitely not worth it if you respect yourself as a human being.
Pros
Fair pay, easy work, friendly coworkers
Cons
Poor work conditions, monotony, unfair treatment by supervisors, dehumanization
All Consuming, but great people
Associate Level (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2016
It is a tough place to work. It is fast paced and, at times, all consuming. However, it is a very bright, motivated, and friendly staff. The people are great to be around.
Pros
Free books
simon and schuster
material handeler (Former Employee) –  Delran, NJMarch 9, 2016
This job pays well but very drama filled and a lot of unprofessionalism here within management I didn't stay long very uncomfortable
Hard Work for Hard Workers
Production Coordinator (Current Employee) –  new york, nyJanuary 20, 2016
A typical day of work. Great place to work. I started when i first began my career out of school after the New York Senate. The best think about working here is the cool books we make.
Was A Fun Place To Work For, Then Went Downhill
Split Case Picker (Former Employee) –  Riverside, NJDecember 8, 2015
When I came there in 2006 I loved working there because it was the most simple and understandable job you could ever work for. Then in about 2008 they started to bring voice picking to make the pace of picking faster, but what we got was nothing but frustration, and tiring work, because of going faster than you were usually doing before. Then in about 2010 they started to have you work overtime, it was great because of the extra money you got at the end of the week but they were doing that every single day of the week and for me I was working full time night shift from 3:30 to 12:00, but with the overtime I had to stay until 2:00 in the morning which was exhausting and the worst part was I had to walk home and did't get home until about 2:30 so obviously I went to bed close to 3:00 in the morning. Finally I like to say if you want to work there go for it, cause I'm not trying to discourage you from working there, but I'm just telling you my experience of working there through those years.
Pros
Simple to understand, Friendly People to work with, great work pay whether part time or full time, good benefits
Cons
Too much of fast pace, don't give you the credit you deserve, the voice picking can be a hassle, way too much of overtime, tiring, and at times the frustration will kick in
high energy book publishing company
LAN Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2015
worked at Simon and Schuster almost 20 years ago, at the time a book publisher, just getting emerge in technology, learn valued learning experience about the book publishing world
Pros
exposure to book publishing process and procedure
Cons
nothing to complain about
good culture management leadership change
warehouse worker (Current Employee) –  Riverside, NJOctober 27, 2015
stable company good atmosphere not a lot of career advancement or skill development long hours mandatory overtime frequently
always busy
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  riverside, njJune 17, 2015
The work is great because it helps the day go by faster. The work is interesting and very easy.The pay is also great! The employees are very nice and sociable.
Fantastic work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJJune 1, 2015
Simon & Schuster was a leap ahead career wise for me. I took on a new role as Executive Assistant to the VP of Sales as well as a new role in training sales reps on a contact software program where I was able to travel. The day was always filled with new tasks at a busy pace and my manager had a dynamic personality and taught me so much about leadership.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simon & Schuster. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9