SimplexGrinnell Employee Reviews

Service Resource Center Scheduler
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Westminster, MASeptember 22, 2016
Where to start... things have gone seriously downhill at Simplex over the past year. I used to like my job and my manager but ever since they announced we were being merged with Johnson Controls it has been nothing but torture. Triple the work load, horrible pay, extremely poor management team that does not respond to employee questions or concerns, we constantly get lied to and reprimanded for not doing a good enough job and NEVER recognized when we do a good job. Extremely low morale around the office, very few opportunities for bonus compensation. The managers will try and prevent you from advancing and growing your career because they don't want to lose you as an employee. Turnover is so high that nobody knows what they are doing anymore. Training has gone significantly downhill. I can't wait to not work here anymore.
Pros
Steady schedule, good health benefits
Cons
Awful management, low pay, very low morale, no recognition
Productive and easy going co-workers. Terrible management and extra paperwork
Pipe Fitter (Former Employee) –  Jupiter, FLSeptember 21, 2016
Overall i had an awesome time working for Simplex. But about 4 months ago it went downhill. Not only did they require more paperwork than i've ever had to do as a pipe fitter (didnt bother me) but they also had us on a program called WOM. It was just another format of what we were already doing. Long story short, it made paper work twice as long and was laid off after failing to submit three call through WOM weeks later.
Pros
Good benefits, insurance, and awesome co-workers
Cons
Terrible management
Good company with good benefits.
TECHNICAL REP. /ASSIST. INPECTOR/LEAD INSPECTOR (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 25, 2016
This was a great company with many opportunities for advancement. Unfortunately the original company Simplex was sold to TDS and merged with Grinnel. This changed the company dynamics.
Pros
Provided great educational benefits for advancement and benefits.
Cons
Sometimes the work schedule could be very long.
Cold blooded disregard for employees.
Service Dept Supervisor/Field Tech Rep (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 9, 2016
Constant atmosphere of backstabbing. Unless you are a direct revenue generator, you are always at risk of having your position eliminated or cut back. Run, do not walk away from these people. Wholly owned subsidiary of Tyco, now Johnson Controls.
Pros
Pay/benefits comparable to lindustry standards
Cons
Heartless corporate mentatlity. You are nothing but a number on a spreadsheet.
Co-Workers were fun to be around.
Lead Inspection Technician (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIJanuary 6, 2017
Very different varing schedule. Management was constantly changing over.scheduling and management that was very unstable. Good benefits and location.
Benefits
Have Patience
Lead Fire Alarm Inspector (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILMay 3, 2016
You learn something new daily. It is a daily challenge to make the customer feel comfortable. This company has good intentions. Management needs help with people skills as far as being more concerned about employees, but no company is perfect.
Pros
health, company phone, benifits, colleage help, company car(if your a Lead).
Cons
the customer is always right, no exceptions, no raises, no help or motivation to advance.
simplexgrinnell was a fine place to work but not for me
Apprentice Sprinkler Fitter/Inspector I (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 30, 2016
SimplexGrinnell offers great benefits and good pay per the industry. The Fire Protection and Security industry in my opinion should be run by small localized companies whom can develop personal relationships with clients and off case by case products.
Great place to work, but comp plan has been lowered
ESSR District 518 / ESERV District 292 SALES REP (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 2, 2016
Good people to work with except for constant battle between sales and Ops. Comp plan was lowered for 2016 so we are all going to make less while mandated to produce more.
Pros
Benefits, Car, advancement, training
Cons
Comp plan, dispute with Ops team, etc.
Productive and fun place to work
Preventative Maintenance Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 16, 2016
SimplexGrinnell is the largest fire and life safety company in the world . I learned a lot in my three years with the company. I had a background in construction sales and sales in general but I knew very little about fire and life safety. My typical day would consist of cold calling for new business and cross-selling and up-selling for existing customers. My first year with the company, I made the Pinnacle Award for achieving top five in the company for sales within my position. The management personnel at the company are very professional and helpful. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting customers to believe in my company the way I believe in my company.
great place to work with a laid back atmosphere
Pipefitter apprentice (Current Employee) –  Maumelle, ARApril 17, 2016
i just smimply need more money. i enjoy working daily im just looking or a raise and some advancement in the company. we work 7-330 monday through friday. friendly co workers and plenty of smart individuals to learn the task.

Want to know more about SimplexGrinnell?

Ask a question
Multi-million-dollar international company
Installer Helper (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 17, 2015
7am to 3:30 pm installing fire alarm systems. Generally a two man crew Lead Installer and Helper, one maybe two jobs a day unless you are on a long term project. Management is supportive but uses numbers to regulate job performance and raises, rather than field observation. The hardest part of the job is the most enjoyable part of the job, your co-worker. Being on a two person crew is hard to achieve any goals if the person you are working with is not taking responsibility for the job. I learned that working in a trade is possible without reliable people, but you really have to work twice as hard to look like your breaking even without miss deadlines. As well, when your partner is reliable and takes their share of the responsibility then jobs move faster which allows for more time to trouble shoot, clean up and longer lunch breaks. Which puts these crews in a slightly higher tax bracket each year because the numbers and customers will help reflect the quality of the team.
Pros
Freedom to work outside.
Cons
Being forced to work outside.
Life at SimplexGrinnell
Construction Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 5, 2016
Do not feel like my position is a career-just a job and the culture is to promote favoritism towards men as it is in most Construction positions that are corporate.
Lost It's Identity
Employee (Current Employee) –  Westminster, MAJuly 6, 2016
The company is still a powerhouse in the market but internally it's people are frustrated. The company relies on low wage employees to meet market expectations and many departments do not offer viable career paths, but at the same time tout career growth.

Veterans of the company talk of better days in the past, and with the extreme focus on the bottom line at all times it can be stressful, as layoffs are never out of the question at any time. If the company can shift focus to sincerely improve morale it can be great again.
Pros
Close to home.
Cons
Morale is horrible, No room for advancement, Poorly Managed
Challenging and rewarding position
PSR Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KyOctober 21, 2015
Road warrior 90% of the time. I had largest geographical territory with driving sometimes six hours a day. I learned a lot about myself as well as my determination to learn new technical skills. Management was decent but did not communicate department to department. Tended to push off issues on other managers. My co-workers for the most part were pleasant. Concerned only with your numbers.
Pros
Company car, gas card, benefits
Cons
no communication between departments, past record keeping such as contracts and service records. Training program needs improvement.
Communication issues
Fire Alarm Technician (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, NYNovember 28, 2016
Cant have great communication in and area telling you where your next call is when they are 3 states away. Management on big commercial fire alarm bids. They were never in the field, so everything was unorganized.
Great for people without families
Fire Alarm Systems Inspector (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAFebruary 21, 2016
The army makes it extremely difficult to have a family because your time is taken up by work and the mission. The benefits are the best you could ever get!
Good Place to work
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 3, 2017
If in sales, you are on your own. Management is spread very thin. If you are not from the industry you will have a learning curve.
Pros
Cons
Have to wear too many hats
I enjoyed learning about fire alarms and security systems. I enjoyed the customers we had.
Service Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Maumelle, ARJune 28, 2016
Answering multi line phone systems. Scheduling. Dispatching. Resolving customer issues expeditiously. Order inventory as needed. I learned a lot about fire alarm systems and alarms. Management and coworkers were wonderful. The hardest part of the job was ensuring everyone was taken care of when we had multiple alarms at the same time. The most enjoyable part was the customers.
Mechanical Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 11, 2016
SimplexGrinnell is a world wide company owned by Tyco. SimplexGrinnell provide fire protection to businesses and repair to existing systems. I supervised fire sprinkler technicians for repairs and small business installations. My technicians were great guys, if I didn't know something about the fire system they always provided excellent help. During some of Oklahoma's cold and freezing weather these technicians worked 12 and 14 hours straight. When the customers called for a frozen and broken fire sprinkler my technicians completed their work in excellent time. So there weren't a lot of angry customers. I was the dispatcher the customers talked to and I did follow-up contact with them to make sure they were happy with the repairs.
Productive place to work
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILAugust 11, 2016
I wasn't clear on the job functions when I started as my manager didn't sit and talk to me about what was required and how to operate the different systems so I had to figure them out on my own pretty much. I worked with someone who was there for 25+ years who seemed to bully people including myself & after talking to my boss & HR nothing was done about it. This person would change my jobs and technicians around without informing me.
Pros
I was earning an income

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SimplexGrinnell. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9