SimplexGrinnell Employee Reviews

Great place to work for
Sprinkler Fitter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SD 57104October 15, 2017
It is an environment where everyone is learning. Everyday, veterans communicate with the newer professionals and teach lessons that have been learned and established. This starts with the management which have placed a high priority on learning beyond your craft. I have learned so many things which correlate to engineering as well as just being a professional. Most importantly, this company trusts that its workers have the best intention to grow and do what is best for the company. Each employee is given the liberty of making their own decisions and practicing their knowledge on the jobs at hand.
Working at Simplex Grinnell
Alarm & Detection Fire Alarm Inspector (Current Employee) –  Richland, MSOctober 15, 2017
On a typical work day at Simplex Grinnell, i went to work tested fire alarm systems making sure customers from schools, hospitals, industrial facilities were up to fire alarm code per NFPA codes.
I learned a lot of electronics engineering and project management skills. the work places were great.
Pros
vacation time, job perks
Cons
different management
fast paced
Dispatcher/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 11, 2017
fast paced work environment, mandatory overtime because they were always understaffed. Despite that, the job was stable and benefits were good and comparable to other companies.
Pros
stability
Cons
overworked
Be Ready to feel like just another number
Regional Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Westminster, MAOctober 9, 2017
High turnover rate, lack of equal work distribution, very stressful environment that is not for everyone. The amount of incoming calls that need to be scheduled/calls answered far outweighs the amount of bodies in the room. You need to have thick skin to work here.
Corporate Takeover
Sprinkler Service Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IndianaOctober 9, 2017
This was a good company to work for and I was treated with respect and as a professional. The compensation was fair and benefits were great. The only reason that I left was due to the company being taken over by another and they started letting people go as they merged positions. I was struggling to understand the industry fully and feared I would be one let go. To avoid unemployment, I stumbled across the open position at CSU and thought, at the time, it was a good move for my family.
Pros
Great work/home life balance
Cons
No great training program
Stressful workplace with well balanced cafeteria
Data Entry - Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Westminster, MAOctober 9, 2017
A large, expansive company with large clientele. Clients often call in for issues ranging from basic maintenance to cataclysmic emergencies. Oftentimes, dealing with clients' frustrated rage was the most difficult and taxing part of the day
Pros
Well stocked cafeteria, consistent hours
Cons
Windowless offices, stressful workday
Great company little training
Electronic Services Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 2, 2017
Received very little training and was required to figure all of this out feeling like I was just thrown out there to sink or swim. This caused a lot of stress.
Enjoyable and busy
Administrative Assistance (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILOctober 1, 2017
Quite busy days and lots of data entry. The training should have been more professional. The company changed management became
confusing for others.the scheduling dept was great.
Pros
Always free food in cafeteria.
Cons
Lunch one hour.
Large Company
Fire Alarm Inspector (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WISeptember 29, 2017
I was treated like a number rather than an asset. Raises are now given regularly, but at a low rate. I remember one year getting a $0.17 raise after not getting a raise at all for FOUR years.
Always focusing on sales or leveraging profit margins
Security Solution Specialist & Product Specifer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 28, 2017
The daily routine was to get in early and start pursuing bid opportunities, cold calling, follow up on existing orders,assist other Security co-workers in product selection, work with various Security related Manufacturers to get updates on NEW technologies. schedule client meetings to identify sale opportunities.
Pros
leveraging sales opportunities
Never a Dull Moment
Deficiency Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 27, 2017
SimplexGrinnell is a fast-paced, busy, work environment. There are so many departments operating under one building; that sometimes paths cross into other territories. It is important to know the difference to between being taken advantage of, versus being a team player. If you don't have an answer, you better find it. Those that work the hardest, excel. Laziness is not tolerated. Customer service is key, not only with your external customers, but your internal customers.
At one point, employee morale was low, due to the economy and jobs were being diminished. The managers approached a coworker and myself to implement inner office activities to boost morale. To this day, the office has continued to carry on the traditions we implemented. Employee retention has proven the office is enjoyable and people work harder when their happy.
Pros
Company Benefits, Promotion Opportunities
Cons
Too many bosses
Stressful Environmet
Safety & Fleet Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 20, 2017
Very stressful environment to work in. Branch manager at the time was not in tuned with the office which made the environment uninviting and standoffish. I would not recommend working for them unless you do some research to see if the environment has changed under new management.
Pros
Small office, great co-workers
Cons
Management inexperienced.
Outside Sales
Service Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 7, 2017
The company is fine, it's the management that make the job very stressful. Besides micro-managing, they're not concerned with customer issues or resolving them.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No pay, and not customer service oriented.
No more good customer service. Poor management
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 23, 2017
You are made to feel non-human daily. More work is done on paperwork and electronic paperwork than actually helping the customer. We are supposed to be a customer based business but customer service is the worst thing we do now. Management is the worst I have ever seen. they are only concerned with who they can make an example of with discipline for breaking the ever changing rules. Monday we are told to do something one way and Tuesday we do it and get told we are wrong. Management is too out of touch with what we do and some are completely clueless of their on job.
Pros
work is different every day
No team involvement
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, caAugust 22, 2017
• Projects range are small to mid level $25K to $100K.
• Manage and coordinate billing, invoicing, purchase orders, RFI’s, change orders and collaborative efforts between subcontractors and, cross-functional departments within the organization.
• Plan and monitor project milestones during the project and determine daily priorities tasks to be completed.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Merger
The original Simplex will always be missed by it's employees and their customers.
LEAD FIRE/LIFE SAFETY INSPECTOR (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe Springs, CAAugust 14, 2017
A typical day at work here at SimplexGrinnell is having a crew with the same focus in mind to get down and take care of business without sacrificing great customer service. Unfortunately, management quality in this company has severely gone down. The original Simplex management was much better and took care of their customers AND employees so to speak. The hardest part of the job is trying not to look like you're having too much fun doing it. The most enjoyable part is getting to know the customers and also the overtime that comes with the business.
Pros
There was always work to be done.
Cons
The management could use a major overhaul.
I enjoyed working for this company and learning about fire alarm and healthcare systems
Service Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Maumelle, ARAugust 11, 2017
I answered multi line phone system. Scheduled service technicians in my department. Entered, closed and billed service tickets for my area. Inventory. Ordered parts and supplies as needed.
Good
Design Team Manager (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCAugust 7, 2017
I would recommend SImplexGrinnell as a great place to work. They have great benefits and a lot of opportunity to move up through the company. Many people work at the company for many years.
Pros
Benefits, security
Great place to work and grow your career
Fire Sprinkler department Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 7, 2017
Great working environment and leadership that always looks after the best for our customers and people. usually promotes from within and develops employees for growth.
Temporary Hire
Fire Systems Inspector (Former Employee) –  East Syracuse, NYAugust 7, 2017
I was a temp for this company. The best part of the job was the variety of environments to work in. Sometimes we'd work a prison, other times it might be a retirement home or local school.
Pros
Constant movement, varied work locations
Cons
Temp work