Simply Mac Employee Reviews in United States

Employees are a necessity not a value.
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 27, 2016
A day at work is usually just handling customer after customer with Apple computer and device issues. Occasionally getting around to helping someone purchase a brand new machine.

I've learned retail will always be retail and profits will always be king over what may actually be best for the staff and in turn the company. Very little PTO. Benefits are very expensive. If you have a family, forget about spending holidays with loved ones. You will be at work.

Management at store and district levels is poor at best, most store leaders are tenured sales associates who push numbers enough to receive recognition, really having no leadership qualities. Corporate level management has been restructured more times than I have fingers in the past couple years. I could barely tell you who is in charge of who any longer.

Hardest part of the job is basically as an outside hire you will come in as a Sales Consultant. The pay? Minimum wage. What you'll be doing at that rate? You will be expected to be experts on all Apple Products and services. Be able to troubleshoot iPhones and iPads on the fly. All while trying to push sales numbers to achieve some form of bonus to earn a livable wage.

The enjoyable part is Apple Products are Awesome. If you love tech, you probably already know about this stuff. Getting to work on these devices is fun for me.
Pros
Working with Apple Products, Great Team Atmosphere, Store Employee Discount
Cons
Pay, Management, Benefits
No work/life balance
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARMay 12, 2016
This company has lost sight of how they started out. The company continues to work their managers as much as possible to prevent overtime. I worked 65-70 hours a week with only one day off each week. I never saw my family or had a life outside of work.You were not allowed to have overtime or any other assistance. I never saw my district manager except when he came to complain about something rather than to help or assist or just to visit. I started with this company when it was just starting to grow and it has changed in a negative way greatly. Sales staff are paid minimum wage for something that should be paid a lot more. The only benefit I was able to take from the company is being certified by Apple.
Pros
Work with Apple Products
Cons
The stress level is very high, low pay, no support.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 30, 2016
Terrible company, terrible management. Was not allowed to voice concerns and when the team did we got written up. Best part about this job was my co-workers. They were all amazing, but management is absolutely terrible. Pay is low (minimum wage) with a commission range that is unachievable. I barely paid rent while working here. Required to attend hours upon hours of training, taking you off the sales floor and not getting compensated for it. Do not waste your time with this company.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
The entire job
No upward mobility
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Simons Island, GAMarch 12, 2016
The job itself is challenging and fun most of the time. But there is no upward mobility and the pay is very subpar. It is very hard to make a career with Simply Mac.
Pros
Work around Apple products all day.
Cons
Pay could be better. No upward mobility.
Not worth the amount of work you put into it
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Twin Falls, IDMay 13, 2016
The company consists of a lot of religion on its own which makes it difficult for non religious employees to advance or be appreciated. Pay structure is very poor and makes it difficult to reach a decent paycheck. I've been in sales for 2+ years and never have I been so disappointed in sales compensation.
Pros
Sell apple products
Cons
Too many to list
See you on the Apple culture, but not Apple
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILMay 27, 2016
Minimum wage, long hours on your feet. Apple culture of perfection without compensation. Unattainable sales goals. Management dishonest.
Pros
Buy Apple products a discount
Cons
Great for a 1st job ever.
Fun culture
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 18, 2016
I worked there a number of years ago and it was a great and fun place to work. If you had suggestions management was always willing to listen to new ideas. They kept even the lowly retail sales guys well involved in what was going on in the company.
Worst. Company. Ever
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 23, 2016
Um, not much else to say. Corporate culture feels like a popular Utah religious cult. Everyone knows nothing good comes from cults...
Pros
Cons
Cultish culture
pay is too low
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, CODecember 28, 2015
Simply Mac does not pay employees appropriately. The pay structure makes it very difficult to stay above water. I think I could probably qualify for state assistance if I were to apply for it. The pay is not a practical living wage.
Pros
co workers
Cons
It is a hard company to advance in. There is a culture of nepotism.
Very kind people to work with
Service Writer (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 30, 2016
The day today tasks here are very different. Never know what will come through the door. Helping people with phones or computers is the majority of the day.
Helping a person get something back that they thought they lost.
Dont waare your time
Seasonal sales (Former Employee) –  AlabamaDecember 10, 2015
Working here wasn't what I expected co workers were cool to be around but the more of an Apple store isn't this during training they pretty much want you to hound the customers into buying something which is hard when the clearly say they are just looking. Me being in sales and being an avid shopper my self know that if a person is looking you should give them a chance to look being that this is the only Apple service center in this area we got a lot of traffic but 98% of it was for service I got let go because I was an seasonal employee but the season isn't over yet also I got let go on Saturday with the reason being the sales were low and since I'm seasonal I'm getting let go (there's was 3 other seasonal employees) I sold a lot in my shirt time there and was let go but as I'm here on indeed looking for another job I see the day after I was let go they are hiring again which off sets the reason they let me go not to mention the times I was 2 mins from the job and received calls say long don't come in because they didn't make any money and I had to wait for my first check and extra week because they mailed my check to my home I wouldn't suggest working there unless you have another job already
Pros
Non
Cons
To many to really say
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYSeptember 21, 2015
Can be fun and fast paced. General retail experience with hourly and possible commission. I have learned how to work with people to find what they need most. Management has calibration that needs to take place. My co-workes are fun, they just do not seem interested in advancement .
Pros
Commission is possible
Cons
Misleading information
A Fun Job with a Terrible Company
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 28, 2016
SimplyMac, as an employer, drops the ball in almost every way. The difference between working for this company and the Apple Store is that SimplyMac does not care about their employees, and puts way too much pressure on them to succeed without giving them any of the tools to do so.

Upper management is clueless on how to keep employees and customers happy. As a sales employee, you are responsible for selling Apple's full line of products, selling phones with AT&T, troubleshooting and repairing products like the Apple Genius Bar would, and being an ambassador of the brand. All of this responsibility is put on the shoulders of those who make minimum wage, and commission goals are nearly impossible to reach because of low traffic in the stores. The company doesn't do any advertising other than spamming customer inboxes, and also had employees from Florida sell illegal extended warranties on pre-owned products even though they knew the law. They have since ceased this, but only after customers had already paid.

Before SimplyMac, our store was known as PeachMac, and the company was a lot better at creating a fun and successful work environment. Employees were treated and compensated well, communication between stores and upper management was effective, and we were always given everything we needed to succeed. Now, if your store is out of bags, good luck getting some. If your store is short-staffed, good luck trying to get them to let you hire someone. Instead, they will leave your store with no flexibility. I have lost track of how many times I was the only person working in
  more... a crowded store. Lines of people would wait for my assistance, and I was responsible for making each person happy, whether it was for sales or service, and I would juggle that all for minimum wage.

Stay away from this company.
Pros
Hands on experience with the latest tech gadgets
Cons
Awful upper management, nearly impossible goals, low pay
Great Place to work, Growing to fast.
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDOctober 18, 2015
Simply Mac is a great place to work. The problem with the company is the they are growing exponentially, and don't have a business plan that accommodates this very well. Another issue that the company has, is the only way that you can move up is by knowing people, which you can only do if you work at one of their top tier stores. The people that choose to work at Simply Mac are usually enjoyable, which is good for days where lots of difficult customers come in. It's a job that keeps you on your toes for sure.
Productive and Encouraging Environment
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cumming, GAJune 4, 2015
I have been with the company for a year now and I love the people and culture with which I work. We are Apple Sales Consultants and out job is to help customers find a solution to their technological needs while providing excellent customer service.

My co-workers are supportive and easy to get along with.

The work is mentally challenging but rewarding in the end. I love getting to know my customers and providing the perfect solution for them.

Working with technology, especially a brand I am enthusiastic about, make my job much more enjoyable.

Since I am a student, the management is flexible with my schedule and understanding when something comes up.
Pros
1hr long breaks, friendly environment, good management.
Cons
Pay structure could imrpove
Could be a great place to work but sexism made it awful
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTJuly 12, 2015
Simply Mac, for the most part, was great to work for. I was part of a wonderful team of associates and we meshed really well. My main concern is my fear of sexism and other issues in upper management. I noticed very quickly that only friends of the hire ups were promoted or advanced. I also noticed that women were not commonly seen above a lowly sales associate. My recommendation, if you are a woman, be firm and stand up for your rights.
Pros
great training, some travel, great team
Cons
sexism, low pay, cult mentality
Manager is a complete A-Hole
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 28, 2015
This store and the people that work in it are exactly what you would picture when you think of a company trying to sell you and pull the wool over your eyes rather than actually sell you what you are asking for.

When I was working here, the manager was actually telling the employees to purposely pry into people's personal lives in order to seem to gain their trust but all for the purpose of trying to sell them things they didn't need. All the employees go off commission.

In fact, the manager likes to make a point to belittle and use profanities which are not professional in the slightest if any employee is not making enough sales per day.

Person who runs the Mac store at the Sioux Falls Empire Mall will smile and sell himself as the "best guy ever" that is genuinely "interested in your needs" as a customer but underneath that all, probably has the worst sort of character and morals I've ever seen in any manager or fellow co-worker.

Would not recommend working for this company from the experience I had with the kind of people that run these store fronts. Especially when they hire people who know absolutely nothing about computers in reality. I'd say the only people that know about the computers are the techs. That's it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTDecember 26, 2013
Fun job and fun coworkers with the exception of the manager. Minimal training. Poor hours and benefits.
Pros
discount
Cons
poor management and pay
Good Work Environment
Mobility Manager (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXOctober 6, 2015
Good Sales and Work Environment. The managers were great and were very good leaders. I learned more about Apple products. What I enjoyed the most was the interaction with customers and the new technology that Apple offers.
Pros
Fun Environment, Sales were good
Productive and fun workplace.
IT Technician (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake CityJuly 29, 2015
This company offers a chance to grow. It offers job stability and security. I would highly recommend this company for any one looking for a career that will last.

2.7