Simply Self Storage Employee Reviews

Friendly employees and great office
UX and IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 15, 2017
Management was well informed and helpful to all. Workplace culture was friendly but everyone was very focused on their jobs. Learned a good amount working here
It was an Okay job!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 31, 2017
The Manager was not professional. She would be friendly when first hiring you to get you in the door, but then soon as you are an employees things would turn for the worst for the APMs
not as promised in interview
Asst. Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 15, 2017
this should not have been a difficult job,the district manager makes it that way,i have seen her treat experienced managers badly to the point they quit or just give up, during my training i got to work with a couple of managers who really cared and took pride in their job and saw over time their passion just be extinguished by the district manager, this company culture is to just ignore problems, no upkeep on propertys,continual rate increases, no raises, lot of gossip and talking badly about other employees by the district manager,I wondered why the corporate office let this go on.
Pros
day time hours, got to meet lot of different type of people, work with some really good people
Cons
stress, no support from district manager, no raises, not even a christmas bonus
Buying property to Flip
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 3, 2017
Headline says it all. The company cares little for store employees and buy up properties to flip them for a profit. Future with the company is very limited and business practices are questionable.
Review Summary
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GADecember 7, 2016
The job was not hard and the typical day at work consisted of leasing and renting office spaces and storage units. The coworkers were great but management could use a little facelift.
Started out Great
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 2, 2016
I loved this job the first 8 months, but after they fired two District Managers and one Property Manager it went down hill. They hired a DM with no experience who turned the job in a negative direction. This resulted in three more Property Managers quitting each with several years experience and one with eight years with this company and five Associate property managers quitting, one with seven years on working with this company. During my last six months with this company I watched as they told experienced managers they could not pay more, while they were hiring new employees with no experience at higher pay than their current managers. I overheard the DM telling corporate that everyone quit for money reasons which was untrue. You would think that if all your managers but one quit in the same city corporate would wake up to what the real problem is.
Pros
Most of the customers were great.
Cons
Negative working environment, no loyalty.
too competitive
PROPERTY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Millville, NJOctober 18, 2016
the environment is too competitive when it does not need to be.
they want you to dedicate your life to this company but really not get anything back.
you don't really get the help you need to succeed at the location that your placed at.
Pros
work at your own pace
Cons
extremely competitive
Good start to property management
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 18, 2016
Here you learn to show and sell units for storage. You learn how to rent to customers and manage the accounts. You also are involved in the legal and auction when necessary. Usually work alone in the facility.
Employment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 12, 2016
I have grown in management and my ability to manage my time. I have learned so much from my co workers and i have them to thanks for my hard work.
Love work here!! Great place.
Store Manger (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 30, 2016
I love working for this company I have had more time off in a roll and when I need off its never been a problem. People I with are great and the DM is the best he is a phone call away. My day goes by really fast and the hardest pat about the job is when my tenant do move out but new ones move in.
Pros
Pay, time off, and family time
Cons
Have not found any.
... No words to explain...
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Okemos, MISeptember 8, 2016
District manager is definitely unfair. They dont explain policy very well.. Which in turn gets you in trouble. If you take this job be sure to read all fine print and ask a million questions regarding leavin early due to sickness and being late.. And hope like heck the district manager reads all emails sent to him.
Pros
Cons
Everything.
Better position for someone with no kids
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 4, 2016
You are on call 24/7. The people currently there are very nice however the higher management needs some reform. You will work every weekend even if they tell you you won't don't trust it
Cons
healthcare is very exspensive
Great place!!
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 31, 2016
I loved working here, and seeing so many different people daily!! Its a great place to work!!! The company is very supportive of its employees and they always promote from within!!
Pros
Discounts, paid time off
Cons
short breaks
trainers
Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 15, 2016
They need to hire people who really know what it means to have the position / title of Trainer. Their present people have no patience.
Pros
Free storage
Cons
No Assistance from other managers
good to terrible
Manager (Former Employee) –  cincinnati ohioJuly 13, 2016
new district manager kirsteen murdock took over i watched a team that worked proudly together fall apart kirsten took all decisions out of managers hands, i watched revenues fall occupancy fall, moral decline, i finally found another position, sad to see everything worked for fall apart because of one person.
Pros
good job good team
Cons
poor district manager
Long Work Week/Great Team
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 20, 2016
My team members (fellow property managers) were great. The 6 day work week was not expected upon being hired and there didn't seem to be any changes in the works to give the property managers their 5 day work week instead. The job was fun overall.
Pros
supportive team, pay
Cons
MEAN tenants
Solid, good company to work for
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 16, 2016
I enjoyed working for SSS but experienced a bit of frustration once I reached the salary ceiling. I saw co workers come and go, and observed a need for better retention practices. The work was challenging and clear, and I enjoyed working with the public. The hardest part of the job was handling customers who had family members with units who had died without appropriate paperwork in place. The most enjoyable part of my job was developing relationships with regular customers who got to know me as I got to know them.
Pros
Freedom to work independently and create my own day schedule
Cons
Short staffed most of my employment, safety issues
Great place to work in
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Woonsocket, RIMay 25, 2016
Great coworkers loved to interact with customers. Good team effort from all coworkers upper management very helpful on training missed all when relocated
Pros
Flexability with lunch time
Cons
n/a
Lots of diversity - office work; maintenance; sales; groundskeeping
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIMay 6, 2016
There is little room for advancement. There is no consideration for merit increases. Whether you just show up or work like a warrior, you get no more than a 3% increase, or no increase at all. Little bonus opportunity because goals are over-reaching.
Pros
Lots of variety
Cons
Poor pay rate and little potential for more.
Not as promised
Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 17, 2016
have worked for this company for over a year, district manager left , temp district brought in to clean up mess, same result favoritism, skeleton staff, lot of stress, no raises as promised,lack of maintenance, co-workers violate company policies continually, employee theft,lot of gossip, backbiting.company is expanding from the top
Pros
daytime hours, occassionally get to help customer in a tight spot
Cons
nothing as promised in interview

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simply Self Storage. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5