Sims Metal Management Employee Reviews

no longevity
FRONT END LOADER OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 16, 2017
to many ups and downs.. more bad than good. not a good place to work when you have a family to take care of . little to no advancement opportunities. two thumbs down.
Pros
health insurance and other benefits
Cons
Productive and very loving work place
Scale Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 8, 2017
Loved this job really was the greatest thing to happen to me and son to have this new beginning in my life. Really hurt by the company lay off I would still been there...
Multi tasking job
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAOctober 25, 2017
I have learned a lot working with Sims Metal. Some days are busier than others. I enjoy talking to customers and helping them. Sims is all about changing for the better and I adapt to change easily. Safety is very important.
Pros
Amazing co workers
Cons
Not a flexible schedule
Its a scrap business
Shredder Operator (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, PAOctober 16, 2017
With the right crew it was a really fun job at times. Very physical and dirty. Not much advancement. Overall it was an ok place, pay could have been better and management are overly sensitive and take everything personally
Pros
Basically work unsupervised
Cons
The hours, management and compensation
Poor Leadership and Hiring Decisions
Senior Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 11, 2017
Audit Clients at Simms are very good. The people outside the audit department are very understanding and willing to work with you. Unfortunately the VP has turned her team three times in 3 years. They have made extremely poor hiring decisions resulting in a mass exodus of the team. No one respects the audit department do to the "Got You" attitude.
Steady hours. Great job for people who love to be at work all day. Not a job for everybody
Leadman/supervisor (Current Employee) –  Johnston, RISeptember 14, 2017
Great benefits, long hours. Not so great management. This job would be for someone who does not mind working 10-12 hours a day, even more than 12 hours some days. This place has a good crew, a great group of hard workers.
Pros
Great benefits. Decent pay
Cons
Long hours. Poor management
Fun Place to work
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  West Point, MSAugust 11, 2017
It was a learning experience. I learn how to weigh aluminum, copper, inspect everything that comes onto the property.The management was great. It was hot during the summer and cold during the winter. There was nothing hard about this job. I enjoyed the customers and pay of this job. I learned great customer service skills throughout my years working here.
Pros
great working shift
Cons
short lunch
Very good
Intern (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJAugust 9, 2017
I'm doing an internship here for only six weeks. The experience here is amazing. I learned a lot. The workers here are very respectful and treat everyone fairly, welcomed and as family,
loved my CEO
Executive Assistant to CEO/Board Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2017
Was a pleasure supporting my CEO, the management team and Board Members
Completely enjoyed my role and the experience.
Thoroughly enjoyed working on planning the Board and Management meetings and offsites
a good paying job with benefits
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJAugust 7, 2017
Sims Metal management has multiple departments. I worked in the plastic department sorting plastic to be recycled. After 30 days of working, I joined the union.
Pros
good pay weekly
Cons
mandatory overtime any day of the week
largest recycling
maintenance lead man (Former Employee) –  Salley, SCJuly 3, 2017
great company they bought our company and then shut our plant down and laid everybody off with in a year they re opened the same plant but they dont hire full time people
N/a
Operator / Inspector (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAJune 19, 2017
Don't recommend working for them whatsoever. They don't care about employees well being or families. There's a lot of overtime if that's what you are into.
awesome work environment
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 2, 2017
very fast pace work. great learning and also effective. however I do feel that the management team is lacking a open mind towards what the employees had to say about their day to day jobs and how the could be carried out more efficiently. other than that I enjoyed working here .
Good job to make money bad management
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 26, 2017
Management is really bad but when it com to workers very good pay is good only if u stay there long term work area bad for ur health ...Sims in Brooklyn need a hold new management team then it will be ok for the working n especially women workers
Bad Management
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, PAMay 1, 2017
The hours are consistent with schedule. Pay is good if you stay long enough Associates were great but management sucked. Over worked and underpaid if yiur in a entry level position
Pros
Employees were pleasant to be around
Cons
Working outside all year around
HR not helpful
Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAApril 29, 2017
Too much tension and corruption within the company...all the way up to the New York Corporate Office.
HR stands behind their managers, even with some having several documented infractions. Not a good place to work for women or minorities.
Pros
Benefits Package
Cons
Discriminatory Atmosphere
Interesting work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 7, 2017
When I started there, I didn't have any previous experience in metal recycling. The 2 managers I worked with over the time I was there were very knowledgeable and had a lot to teach me. I was lucky to get the managers I did.
Loved This job
Scale Operator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 27, 2017
I loved this job, wish they were still opened....I was a scale operator. I weighed cars and paid them for the scrape they sold us...Management was great with employees.. The hours were sometimes hard after 50 hours...
Pros
Great company...
Expected more than could be produced safely
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2017
Company put much pressure on management to get jobs done, didn't like to spend money on equipment or get it repaired unless broken. This company had many hard working employees that deserved better.
Pros
It was a job.
Cons
It was a bad job.
Nice working environment
Intern (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 21, 2017
I loved working at Sims Metal Management. I learned how to use the fax machine. The hardest part of my job was trying to locate old files. The most enjoyable part I had working at Sims was when I took a tour outside in the yard.