Sims Recycling Solutions Employee Reviews

fun people to be around never seemed to be a day at work
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Del Amo, CASeptember 7, 2016
Operating​ ​baler​ ​machinery.
Eliminating​ ​any​ ​left​ ​over​ ​plastic​ ​sort​ ​done​ ​by​ ​production​ ​line.
Keeping​ ​track​ ​of​ ​baler​ ​inventory​ ​and​ ​sorts.
Great new learning experience.
Operation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 29, 2015
A typical day consisted of start up meeting with all employees(130 plus) plan for daily production goals. Communication with onsite staffing agency to check daily attendance. Management was overall good. The hardest part of the job was making sure all employees followed all safety procedures as Sims had a strict policy on safety which I can attest was outstanding as they put employee safety first before anything else. The most enjoyable part for me was building a great team to succeed even under challenges.
Pros
great benefits low cost.
Cons
low wages for employees difficult work dismantling equipment.
A business in shrink to survive mode.
Emploee at Sims Recycling Solutions (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 12, 2014
Must be onsite well before your shift starts, and ready to work. Safe and environmentally conscious company. You can feel good about the work you do. management is management. You get some good and some bad. Co-workers are the best and make work tolerable. Hardest part of the job is keeping up with all the new people and their agendas and politics. I really enjoyed what I did and felt appreciated and valued. Rude awaking when they told me I was no longer needed without any warring.
Pros
great benefits and awesome co-workers
Cons
the company is on a journey and many of its dedicated and talented employees won’t survive it!
not a good place to work
Shipping Clerk, Forklift Operator, Line Picker (Former Employee) –  Lavergne, tnMay 7, 2016
i didnt to much care for this job but at the time it paid the bills, i felt like i was over worked and underpaid. and the conditions were terrible esp in some departments.
Pros
n/a
Cons
dirty, not enought money
Terrible pay but great management
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJNovember 1, 2013
Terrible pay and very light yearly raises.. New rules and regulations are added everyday for the employees to follow so they can better the company but nothing is added to help employees . People are fired everyday and hired every week.But besides that the management is great, there real down to earth. They listen and speak with employees and not just stay in the office and only speak with supervisors. All the co-workers are real cool and for the most part get along. The most enjoyable part of the job is??????
Pros
company barbecues
Cons
short breaks and rushed work
Fair paying job, but with little job security.
Welder/Fabrication (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAMarch 5, 2015
This position involved simple tasks that where easily accomplished when given the time to complete them, as well as fair compensation for what the position asked of us. However, job security leaves something to be desired. As I was laid off in during the week with no reason or warning.
good place to work
Worker (Current Employee) –  Greater Chicagoland areaMarch 10, 2015
Good people, pretty typical place. Benefits are good, company tries to do extras for employees. Each site can operate differently, so it kind of all depends on what plant you work at.
Pros
good insurance
Cons
sometimes poor communication, lack of drive to improve
undisclosed (Current Employee) –  TNSeptember 13, 2015
Good place to work. Great place with good mgmt. Good work life balance. Good pay. Good work culture. Very safety focused. Great teams.
productive enviroment
forklift driver (Former Employee) –  matanzas cubaJanuary 23, 2015
i worked as a forkliftdriver,many hour a day, friendly enviroment
Pros
good working conditions
Cons
salary
not a very good place
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Franklin Park, ILAugust 24, 2015
the place it self is very dirty inside. they have lots of hazardous chemicals around.the management when i started was great.as soon as a new supervisor turned manager comes in it all went downhill.the employees were good. we were able to go out and eat till he shut that down.we were able to have cell phones in case of emergencies,he shut that down(my fiance was pregnant and he didint allow it)
Pros
Cons
working there
Excellent Company to work for
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 4, 2014
Company is very well managed
Fair compensation for Management staff
Low Morale - Ops Plant Managers HR
Warehouser (Former Employee) –  West Chicago, ILApril 28, 2014
What was learned about working at Sims in West Chicago, is that Plant, Ops and HR managers, promote internally who they prefer. General Manager does not even know what is going on with his management and how they treat us warehouse employees.
There have been several long term employees who they just dismissed or eliminate their job. They tend to promote employees who everyone knows can not do the job; current warehouse upper mgmt. overlooks all that. Every warehouse employees complains that their lead team & supervisor does not know a thing about supervising, however they are still promoted or moved from within. Overall, Low morale of office and warehouse.HR claims they help employees, but everyone knows otherwise, and we don't even bring anything up to HR with fear we will be terminated.
All us warehouse workers really work hard and only get paid minimum wage. West Chicago is not consistent with other job descriptions pay scale.
Steady job, Short breaks, No promotions
Associate (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 24, 2013
When I get to work I walk through the metal detector. then I go to my locker and put on my personal protective equipment then I start working on what ever they have for me and my partner. We get three breaks though out the day, then we go home at eleven thirty.

some things I learned are work safety, how to take apart electronics.

management can be very helpful at times and confusing in others.

the hardest part of the job at first is standing on your feet all day but you get used to it.

the most enjoyable part of the job is all that you learn and experience.
Pros
steady work
Cons
short breaks, no promotions
Sims Typical
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 13, 2015
Customer Service office management payroll / hr liasion maintain daily paperwork first impression cusotmer service safety regulator meeting minutes
Don't work here
Glass Booth Associate (Former Employee) –  ElkridgeMay 10, 2015
Required security screening to enter building long lines to get in. No overtime and all temp employees due to company not wanting to hire full time associates. Company run through threats and fear to keep production up. Paid same rate as a temp.
Pros
Its a job.
Cons
Job run through fear and no advancement
A good management culture
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rancho Dominguez, CAOctober 6, 2014
Review the previous night's workload and where they left off.
Review with Lead to know what workload is expected and what Production goal is needed for the day.
Review the backlog to maintain 30 days or less of inventory.
Coordinate with other departments to know what is needed for the day or for the week.
Pros
created a great work culture with management and crew
Cons
business is not looking strong
Great Employees but Management is horrible
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAFebruary 19, 2015
The company does not invest in its employees. There is room for promotions but only at the larger sites. The company needs to make sure there are policies and procedures in place for all job duties.
Calm and Fast
Material Handler, Leader, Burner (Former Employee) –  West Chicago ILAugust 7, 2013
Use to be sitting in front of a nearly 500 degree burner to pull chips off electronic motherboards and you learn different chip companies and the co-workers do their fair share and the hardest part is when you burning a thick motherboard takes long and you get burned from the heat and the enjoyment is there wasn't almost of lifting and moving around just put the boards wait for them to be ready, you can read and just have thoughts in your mind. It got different when we started receiving a lot of stuff and run out of space so we had to work overtime and it was nice and fun but it wasn't as use to be and the manager pullout and left so did everyone in that department
Pros
free lunch before holidays
Cons
short breaks, low pay rate at the beginning
Professional business environment that is very family friendly
Admin Asst (Current Employee) –  USAMay 8, 2014
Sims is truly a great company to work for. My typical day would include invoicing, scheduling both inbound and outbound freight, handling any customer questions and support the upper management team. The upper management team were really easy to talk and relate to and they made you feel like you were part of a family.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
very slow growth opportunities
A Learning Experience
Tester/Refurbishment (Current Employee) –  West Chicago, ILFebruary 12, 2014
Everyone is very friendly at Sim's and management is very helpful. There are many different types of jobs here, in both the front office and the warehouses. I think the hardest part of the job is trying to retain all of the training. You may learn how to do many different jobs in the warehouse. Everyone out there helps each other out.

Sims Recycling Solutions Reviews by Location