Sinclair Broadcast Group Employee Reviews

ok company but little room to grow
Master Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 3, 2018
was at the company for 5 years and tried multiple times to advance to a different position but was was often passed over. the early morning hours can be rough and weary but if you can handle them they aren't terrible.
Been there 19 years. Ready for a change
Master Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 23, 2017
Need a federal job with a pension. Time for a change. Hours are too long. Work over night and need a day job. Don’t make enough money. No shift differential.
Great
Sales Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDDecember 20, 2017
Great, relaxed atmosphere with the ability for advancement and good management. People are willing to work with you and for you. The benefits are great.
Good stepping stone if you are a junior or mid level developer
Lead Senior Software Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 19, 2017
Poor planning, work life balance and advancement opportunities. Stressful, toxic work environment. Senior leadership is unhelpful, more worried about their egos than developing their workforce.
Pros
not many
Cons
many
Overall Great Entry Level
Topical Promotions Producer (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXDecember 2, 2017
Great Entry Level company to get your feet wet then move up. Management is very good at my current location/station. Can learn a lot with the pieces currently in place.
Former receptionist
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Flint, MINovember 30, 2017
I worked at the Flint, MI location many, many years ago. I watched the Twin Towers get hit from my desk... several years ago. However, I enjoyed my job and loved my co-workers. My GM was Mike Eichhorn and I’d say he was the best boss over ever had. The culture may have changed since I’ve been there but at the time it was a nice place to work.
I only left because I didn’t have room for advancement.
Pros
People
Cons
Not much room for advancement
productive and fun place to work at
Billing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCNovember 25, 2017
My manager was wonderful caring human being. She was a great example of the open door policy. She was not a micro manager at all and the environment was positive.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no cafeteria
working in television
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 14, 2017
The majority of employees were dedicated to detail of the job and assuring customer satisfaction. I was laid off due to down-sizing of my department. Television industry is constantly changing and technology progresses that change.
Not great
Photojournalist/Editor (Former Employee) –  TXNovember 12, 2017
Pay is the lowest in town, building is small and cramped and most co-workers had little to no experience. Managers were pleasant but there was a lack of infrastructure.
Pros
I was paid
Cons
Everything else
Poor Management, High Turnover, Stressful Environment
News Producer (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVNovember 11, 2017
Sinclair mincromanages it's employees from afar. The company lowballs new hires on their salaries.

Sinclair demands conformity among its stations without taking into account unique demographics and market nuances.

The management turns over very fast, and most managers are looking to move up and out without having time to develope dynamic relationships.

The benefits are top notch, and earned time off along with holidays build up - meaning you do get a lot of time off.

The newsroom never stops for holidays. You may end up working every holiday multiple years in a row. In the news department, you cannot take off during sweeps - February, May, August, November

Many stations are short staffed, forcing employees to double up on job duties without proper compensation.

There is no attempt to retain employees. Everyone is treated as replaceable and turn over is very high. You can see this yourself by the constant vacancies in multiple markets.
Pros
paid time off, health benefits, networking opportunities
Cons
low wages, high stress, poor management, lack of leadership, forced conformity, cut-throat environment
Depends on location
Promotions Producer (Former Employee) –  Flint, MINovember 7, 2017
I've read reviews of people complaining about the management, but in Flint Michigan, this was the best group of people I have ever worked with and was very sad to leave.
Work Place
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cockeysville, MDNovember 6, 2017
Great place to work. Entertaining challenging work that made everyday exciting. Management was friendly, accommodating, and always will to help and teach at your pace.
Management is horrible!!!
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cockeysville, MDNovember 3, 2017
Basically people in management are there for the wrong reasons and aren't qualified making it a horrible environment. They can't keep good sales people.
Long days with both boredom and stress
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLOctober 23, 2017
There was no telling how stressful a day might be working for this company. If by chance not one thing went wrong, then it was smooth sailing. Once a problem came up, it could snowball into a really bad day if you didn't fix it fast. That's what master control operators do. We have to know how to wait for hours for a potential problem and find a solution with minimal impact on the air. I liked my coworkers and we got along great. Coming from New York, the pay scale seemed about 20 years behind the times.
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
no breaks in a 12 hour shift and very low pay
Growing Company
Director of Sales (Current Employee) –  OhioOctober 21, 2017
As a growing company there is a lot of opportunity. If you are willing to put in long hours, word hard and put the company first in your life, you will succeed.
Sales sales sales
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 17, 2017
This was an old school sales shop. I had many returning clients but I also was tasked to obtain new business. I excelled at this place but it is easy to burn out here. I witnessed many people come and go in my time there. They had great products and I would have liked to get into management to help change the culture a bit but it was not to be.
Pros
Make a lot of money
Cons
volatile unpredictable atmosphere from the very top
Danger! Danger!
Account Executive/Sales (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 13, 2017
They reel you in as if they are the nicest and greatest company to work but once your in your degraded insulted and don’t get the proper training. Management yells at you and insults you when you don’t do as they say when you find a better and more accurate way to do it. Management passes you on to other employees not even in your department for training. Your constantly gossiped about by management and their outside workplace friends while you are present. Also your talked down too as if you are a child instead of a college educated adult. You know a company is bad when you WANT to get fired. My family celebrated and took me out to dinner when I finally left the company. I warn you watch out! Don’t believe the hype and always be on alert. There is no encouragement to succeed in your job. APPLY WITH EXTREME CAUTION!!!!!!
Pros
The fountain water
Cons
Everything except the fountain water.
Fast paced company that had multiple tv stations that required their own attention.
Accounts Payable Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Cockeysville, MDOctober 12, 2017
Days could begin at 7 or 8 am and last to 6 pm depending on workflow, Premise was to process the invoices and check requests everyday according to terms and necessity. I learned quite a bit about the role of accounts payable and what it entailed. For the most part management was supportive and was willing to listen to the team for solutions and better work flow practices. The culture was competitive and very fast passed with a lot of cross training. So, multi-tasking became very important. The hardest part was to make sure all of the invoices were paid to terms and that there was no duplicate payments. Learning a new skill set was fun and it help me develop more as a professional.
Pros
Bagel Fridays, Management was accessible more times than not. Peers were friendly and helpful.
Cons
Internal departments could be very demanding
Unable to Review
National Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 9, 2017
My time there was short lived many years ago therefore I do not feel it is fair to rate them since it was so long ago. I was worked hard and there didn't seem to be much room for growth in the small Syracuse market.
horrible, too many cooks in the kitchen.
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 7, 2017
Constant corporate propaganda being pushed down managers throats. They don't care about their employees, you're just a number. Major micromanaging. Corporate boys club.
Pros
platforms
Cons
micromanaging, attitude