Sinclair Broadcast Group Employee Reviews

Not a good company to work for...
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Plains, PAJune 19, 2015
Work load they expect from you is unobtainable
No balance between work and personal life
Expects employees to work past your contracted time, all the time
Does not know how to manage employees
Don't ask questions- you will be unemployed (we were told that by a manager and witnessed it first hand)
If you are part of the management team, you are golden. The "lower class" employees are treated like machinery.
We had a great working environment with our previous owners. Now everybody is miserable.
Pros
There are no pros
A Great Place to Learn
Scheduling Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDMay 15, 2015
A typical workday can be very busy or very slow. The work itself is good. The environment, depending on staff and management, can have its drawbacks.
Pros
Bagels
Cons
Depends On Your Values
Former employee 2015 West Palm location
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  WPBMarch 6, 2015
RUN AWAY FAST!!! All about bonuses for the owners. The hardest workers are treated like idiots. Management at one station has no clue how to treat people or run a station. As an adult your spoken to like your a dumb kid. Insulting and frustrating. RUN.
Pros
Paycheck every other Friday.
Cons
SMALL paychecks every other Friday. Snotty sales managers and incompetent General managers. Sad.
Productive office with various skills to learn
National Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 23, 2015
The company has several locations and various different departments to experience. The fate of TV advertising is looking grim, so bonuses have been cut dramatically.
Pros
great healthcare
Intense work environment nice management great team to work with
Long Form Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tampa. FLFebruary 3, 2015
I worked at Sinclair for about 6-7 months and my leaving had absolutely nothing to do with Sinclair but rather my travel time. I had some issues during my short time but my management team was nothing but supportive. I would definitely go back.
Pros
great team mates
Cons
just too far from my home
Bottom Feeders squeezing every penny
News (Former Employee) –  MissouriFebruary 1, 2015
The company is only concerned with spectrum. That's why they've bought up stations all over the country. Management is all about enriching the family that owns the majority of the stock. Programming tends to be cheap. Why buy Ellen when you can buy Judge Nobody. Why do a news program when you can run How I Met Your Mother. And watch out if they think you're a liberal. You'll be out the door on some trumped up accusation quicker than you can take a breath. I'd rather be unemployed than work for them. Fortunately, I no longer work for them.
Pros
you're in tv
Cons
bad management. worst in the business.
Seek Elsewhere
worker (Current Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDDecember 16, 2014
This is probably the worst company I've worked for. There is no spirit here at all! It's like everyday you come to work and deal with blah people and stare at tan walls. Not only do you have to wait 6 months to get benefits, how many companies do you know in 2014 that don't give benefits the first day or at least 30 days in..& you are expected to be on call some months for no overtime pay. This company wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so old and tried to modernize their ways. Made it enjoyable to be here, do things like tacky sweater day, beer carts, summer fridays, etc. It would also be nice if they conducted feedback from their employees so they could hear what needs to be changed. It's no spirit, no appreciation, & nothing fun besides an ice cream truck that comes around in the summer. Some of the people are ok, some aren't. if you have other job options go there and make this your last result. At the end of the day this is just a job, nothing too get excited about waking up to in the morning.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Lots of freedom. You make your own schedule.
Marketing & Sales Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 12, 2014
This is a great place to work. You are in charge of your schedule and of how much money you want to make. There is a base salary, but you can make as much in commission as you would like. Management has an open door policy and is wonderful to work for. The people are also amazing and everyone works as a team and wants to help each other. This is a great job if you are starting your career out because you learn about so many areas of business. It's also great if you are experienced and want to make a lot of money.
Pros
in charge of paycheck and schedule
Cons
can be stressful if you don't meet your sales goals
Money is the top priority
Producer (Former Employee) –  SeattleOctober 21, 2014
Sinclair bought out the company I worked for. They made it clear they're about making money. With that, they cut several positions across the board placing a heavier burden on everyone else.
Pros
alright benefits
Cons
doing more with less
It is a good job. Employers encourage professional development.
MultiMedia Manager (Current Employee) –  Rosslyn, VirginiaOctober 12, 2014
It is a high paced news environment. I have fulfilled my purpose in this position and I am grateful.
Master Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 6, 2014
we check the paper log to the playlists and hit times for each shows. download over ten shows a shift. make sure video and audio is presented on air.

I learned a lot about multitasking, time management, and organization.

management is laid back but make sure we perform our job with due diligences.

co-worker are fun, relaxed and easy going

hardest part of the job is running multiple live programming at one time.

most enjoyable is watching TV
Wouldn't recommend working for sinclair
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Champaign ILAugust 11, 2014
This company main purpose is to buy up small market stations. I learned how dishonest and dysfunctional this company is during my time there.
Busy up temp work place
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCApril 18, 2014
It was a ok company at times to work for. My day consisted of airing TV shows. I learned how to move and control satellites, my immediate supervisor was great other management was iffy at best. I had awesome co-workers that made going to work worth going. The hardest part of my job was dealing with equipment failures. the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing i directly effected what people seem at home on their TVs
Nice place to work. Lots of teamwork daily.
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 22, 2014
I was able to learn necessary skills quickly because of the training. My supervisor was knowledgeable of all aspects of the job. All work done was to make the work of someone else go smoothly.
Took transmitter readings. Recorded, checked and loaded programs to air during 10-hour daily schedule. Logged discrepancies and contacted the appropriate personnel to correct problems, etc.

The most difficult part of the job was to keep the station on the air when older equipment failed.

Worked with great people who had a mutual respect for each other's jobs.
Pros
four-day work week
Cons
no set lunch time. old equipment
Good place to work and apply team work.
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 15, 2014
My job was to prep programs and use equipment to assist all of the other operators to smoothly work their shifts. We would have contact with several other departments during the day to report discrepancies, improper information or trouble with systems. we sometimes had a very short window of opportunity to contact the correct people, so knowing the exact person(s) to contact was key.

Since what we did was based on a time schedule, accuracy was a top priority. Working on a schedule where programming had to be aired at the right time and on time, provided a high pressure environment, where I was able to function and help things to run relatively smoothly.
Poor and ruthless management! You are basically on your own with hardly any training!
Local Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 30, 2013
The management was very poor. When I was hired, the TV stations were in transition after being taken over by Sinclair Broadcast Group. The station manager was extremely cold and ruthless. I had administrative and media experience but was new to the Broadcast TV industry and they were aware of that. When given the job offer, I was told that there would be adequate training. I arrived eager to learn but they were very negative and did not provide adequate training. You were basically on your own and the atmosphere was very poor.
Pros
employee benefits and worked with some nice coworkers.
Cons
poor management without adequate training.
Production and atmosphere with enjoyable coworkers. Lots of laughs.
Technical Director (Full-Time) (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 30, 2013
A typical day starts with doing updates which take about 5 min to do. I've learned that working in news can be fun if you make that way and you can learn just about anything when you asked to train on a different position such as floor director or audio operator. Don't have too much to say about management because they're not behind your back checking after your work, they let you be responsible & are trustworthy of you. My co-workers are great. Love to learn from them and laugh with them. The hardest part of the job is when equipment malfunctions happen and there's nothing we or engineering can do about it until corporate hands over the to get it fixed or get a new piece of equipment. The most enjoyable part is doing a show that has no script, such as a tornado show or a snow show. You just have to listen to the producer and director on what's coming up next.
Pros
8hr work day with about 3hrs of work that is actually done
Cons
the long break we do have gets old, i'd rather be productive for the whole shift and not sit around waiting to do work
Can be fun, but very stressful at times
Account Executive, Full-Time (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJuly 29, 2013
- A typical day at work would be making phone calls and setting up meetings with prospective clients.
- My communication skills have increased drastically even after college
- I love my managers, but I don't not like the business at the corporate level.
- My co-workers are friendly and helpful.
- The hardest part of the job is making the sales, and if sales aren't made then neither is money being made either.
- The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting clients who love their businesses and trust you to help them.
Advertising & Broadcasting
Regional National Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 17, 2013
I negotiate rates with reps and clients everyday. My co-workers are wonderful people to work with. There isn't anything that I find hard about my job. The most enjoyable part of my job is staying productive and busy which will make the day go faster.
Large broadcasting company with many opportunities for integrated marketing solutions
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 26, 2013