Sinclair Broadcast Group Employee Reviews

An Amazing Place To Work
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOMarch 17, 2017
Great people, great job! Wonderful atmosphere every time you walk in! It is a great place if you work well alone or with one or two others. You will always be on your toes.
Management restructuring
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  NJFebruary 6, 2017
This company lacks leadership. Management can focus more on employee morale and empowering employees by providing them with the tools needed to succeed.
No growth, management is out to please corporate.
Production (Former Employee) –  WisconsinJanuary 16, 2017
I was excited to start here but quickly disappointed after learning the truth about Sinclair. Tons of corporate propaganda. Their influence on managers is strong. Personally the management I worked with were dismissive, absent, and uninvolved. Be careful.
Pros
Cons
weird hours, low pay, nonexistent benefits, bad managent
Sinclair is a good company
Broadcast and Digital Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHDecember 6, 2016
I like the company by in large. Your station is a big influence of the success of the sales reps, etc. We have a good station, but sales management is suspect. I am keeping my options open at this time.
Horrible experience
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 4, 2016
I was unfortunate enough to have a monster boss. HR basically told me I had to figure out how to deal with her.....they were useless. I could complete 9 out of 10 things with perfection and she would only notice the 10th thing that wasn't perfect. Constant nitpicking. Always "passed the buck". Sooo glad to be out of there. Upper management couldn't care less. It's all about money.
Pros
peers were awesome to work with, salary wasn't too bad
Cons
no flexibility, very stressful, no positive feedback
Management is lacking from the local level to the top
News Reporter (Current Employee) –  Pasco, WAOctober 27, 2016
The station in Pasco is a negative place to be and the general manager is blind to how many people hate working there and hate him. Salaries are the bottom of the barrel, there are few perks and there is no thank you for a job well done. The co-workers were the reason for coming to work every day. But don't expect a pat on the back for an especially well-done story, scoop or flawless newscast. Your thank you comes from your paycheck and that's it. Feedback is not solicited and not given. It's a place you come to cut your teeth and fulfill a two year contract to move on to the next location. Grin and bear it and don't expect this to be rewarding. What you learn will depend on what you put into it.
Pros
You get paid every two weeks
Cons
Everything else, News managers are clueless
Horrible; negative work environment
Operations (Former Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNOctober 13, 2016
When Sinclair buys the company that you work for- watch out! A totally negative work environment- disrespect from immediate supervisors. Ridiculous schedules & expectations- absolutely NO positive feedback. "Training" is a joke- and realize that there is an "old boys" network, and if you aren't "in", you are basically dead in the water. That they have spent over 6 months looking to fill a position in one station should tell you what you need to know
Pros
Co-workers in the same environment as you
Cons
HORRIBLE Supervision; money-driven bosses
Not a good environment
Reporter (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 6, 2016
Management is awful. They constantly talk down to you and always shoot down your ideas. They work together to place the blame on employees and hardly seems like they care about the well being of them.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
No breaks, lunches
Stay Away
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  DCSeptember 3, 2016
When Sinclair came in and bought our company, things just continued to grow worse. Our best managers either left or were laid off. High turnover rate with little to no replacement- more added work and less flexibility to schedule time-off.

The work enviornment is very hostile. Managers tend to play favorites and company morale is at an all-time low. Workplace bullying is also common but it tends to be more passive-aggressive so executives can get away with it.

Unless you want to be a sales persons, you have no path to advancement. Do yourself a favor and look else, there are greener pastures out there.
Pros
Good dental and medical benefits
Stifling
Accounting (Former Employee) –  New York StateAugust 16, 2016
Absolute worst work experience of my life. I worked in accounting and my manager was disliked by nearly everyone because she was a total fake. Kind of person who wore a mask to work because she felt she needed to play a part. Many people left the station i worked at while i was there and after i left. The overall environment was stifling. No one cared what you said or even acknowledge your existence unless you were bestowed with a high enough title. It's like a boys club. DO NOT ever work for this company.
Pros
really?
Cons
everything you can think of

Want to know more about Sinclair Broadcast Group?

Ask a question
Do NOT consider
Other Experience (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 21, 2016
New management in St Paul is the most narcissistic controlling and micromanaging I have seen in a long time. But they insist they are not! Very toxic environment. No idea is a good idea unless it's theirs. And if you do share an idea, they will take it as their own and take all credit! Claims to be a team, but it is not. Plays favoritism to a couple people, makes it very obvious and makes everyone else feel unappreciated. Operates on a whole lot of drama! Everyone feels like quitting and we already lost a great manager.
Pros
The people
Cons
low pay, horrible benefits that don't kick in until 6 months
Sales Assistant
Sale Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 27, 2016
Enjoyed the fast pace environment, but there was a severe lack of training, and unqualified management who refused to pay over-time and made EVERYTHING a priority. I worked the job of two people for 5 months without any assistance, and I was expected to get everything done in the 40 hours work week. Also if you brought in new business, it was up to the DOS whether you received any compensation since I was not an AE, I brought the new business to the Sales Managers instead of the DOS (like I was told to do as I was new at the time). Was then told by the DOS I was going to get nothing for bringing in the new business since I didn't go to him first. Very bad for morale. Some of the Sales Staff were very nice, others not as much. Some of the Managers from other departments were very rude and unfriendly no matter how hard you try to be nice to them. The hardest part of the job was being to told to create a report that you had no idea how to do, but was expected to get it done. Very, very poor training and lastly, everyone talks about EVERYONE all the time. So much back-stabbing, and trash talking, no one is to be trusted. Management will lie straight to your face.
Pros
fast pace environment & benefits
Cons
non paid overtime, untrustworthy management, unfriendlly co-workers
Negative workplace.
Designer (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDFebruary 21, 2016
RUN AWAY! I had worked for this company for 5 years, and the company has been going downhill the year after I started. Management has big egos. Mangers dating subordinates, and playing favoritism to those employees. Mangers do not have anyones back but there own. The workload is unreasonable, and no one is able to keep up with the workload unless you work extra hours in the day to keep up. The raises are very minimal, and does not cover the cost of living.
Pros
Snacks, Bagels, Free lunches from time to time. Good Benifits
Cons
Everything else!!
Decent Company
Reporter (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 20, 2015
Decent company, but compensation appears to be uniform throughout the company no matter what the cost of living is in some cities. The company's vision is the same at every station. Different cities may react to that vision differently. My managers are great. Health insurance and benefits are fair.
Not a good company to work for...
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Plains, PAJune 19, 2015
Work load they expect from you is unobtainable
No balance between work and personal life
Expects employees to work past your contracted time, all the time
Does not know how to manage employees
Don't ask questions- you will be unemployed (we were told that by a manager and witnessed it first hand)
If you are part of the management team, you are golden. The "lower class" employees are treated like machinery.
We had a great working environment with our previous owners. Now everybody is miserable.
Pros
There are no pros
A Great Place to Learn
Scheduling Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDMay 15, 2015
A typical workday can be very busy or very slow. The work itself is good. The environment, depending on staff and management, can have its drawbacks.
Pros
Bagels
Cons
Depends On Your Values
Former employee 2015 West Palm location
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  WPBMarch 6, 2015
RUN AWAY FAST!!! All about bonuses for the owners. The hardest workers are treated like idiots. Management at one station has no clue how to treat people or run a station. As an adult your spoken to like your a dumb kid. Insulting and frustrating. RUN.
Pros
Paycheck every other Friday.
Cons
SMALL paychecks every other Friday. Snotty sales managers and incompetent General managers. Sad.
Productive office with various skills to learn
National Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 23, 2015
The company has several locations and various different departments to experience. The fate of TV advertising is looking grim, so bonuses have been cut dramatically.
Pros
Great healthcare
Intense work environment nice management great team to work with
Long Form Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tampa. FLFebruary 3, 2015
I worked at Sinclair for about 6-7 months and my leaving had absolutely nothing to do with Sinclair but rather my travel time. I had some issues during my short time but my management team was nothing but supportive. I would definitely go back.
Pros
Great team mates
Cons
Just too far from my home
Bottom Feeders squeezing every penny
News (Former Employee) –  MissouriFebruary 1, 2015
The company is only concerned with spectrum. That's why they've bought up stations all over the country. Management is all about enriching the family that owns the majority of the stock. Programming tends to be cheap. Why buy Ellen when you can buy Judge Nobody. Why do a news program when you can run How I Met Your Mother. And watch out if they think you're a liberal. You'll be out the door on some trumped up accusation quicker than you can take a breath. I'd rather be unemployed than work for them. Fortunately, I no longer work for them.
Pros
You're in TV
Cons
Bad management. Worst in the business.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sinclair Broadcast Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9