Sinclair Community College Employee Reviews in United States

Stressful workplace
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 24, 2016
Dealt with a lot of students, learned to be organized and assign roles to others, managers never trained anyone, loved my co-workers, hardest part was dealing with our bosses, and my co-workers made the job so enjoyable.
Pros
I was able to get very involved in my college and with other students
Cons
There was very poor management
Great place to work!
Lecturer II (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 11, 2016
Sinclair Community College is a great place to work! I have enjoyed friendly and supportive staff, lots of valuable professional development which says that they care about people and students. I would recommend Sinclair to anyone!
Low pay, but very rewarding.
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 7, 2016
While very laid-back, the organization was still very positive and essentially professional.

Hour-by-hour meetings with students keeps the day flowing, and if you have a very challenging meeting with a student, it allows you to regroup your educational tactics effectively, without getting bogged down.

Management presence was very minimal. But the people in management were good.

Coworker interaction was fairly minimal, as well. However, 90%+ were very supportive and helpful.

Hardest part of the job: Spending hour after hour with a student (this happened less than once every six months) but realizing that they should just drop the class they are taking.

Best part of the job: The best part was the time spent with students who wanted to learn. And that was 95% of the time.
Pros
Awesome job if you like teaching, Pay is ensured regardless of whether your student shows
Cons
$7.25 an hour, and no hours at the start of the term
Productive and Fun Work Environment
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHMarch 14, 2016
Great place to work! Sinclair has a excellent reputation throughout the community.

The office environment is fun. A lot of good people who care about higher education and helping others.

The most enjoyable part of the job is speaking to students and parents regarding their college choice options.
Variety of departments and professors to work with.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 23, 2016
Awesome place to work for. I would still be working there today, if my husband wasn't transferred to Indianapolis, Indiana.
n/a
Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 17, 2016
Typical day lintels taking random phone calls and routing them to the correct department or troubleshooting any issues users may have. Over the past seven years I have learned customer service, Telecom back end (shoretel), Learning systems (black board and eLearn)
Cons
No benefits
fun place to work
Housekeeping/Floor Technician (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHSeptember 10, 2015
fun place to work, nice people to work with great pay and work hours great work environment, safe place to work, great benefits great management.
Pros
very good place to work
Cons
Tyrrany of fear and hostility from the top down
Lecturer II (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 17, 2015
Sinclair was once a very good school, it was innovative and education centered. It has turned into little more than a technical or trade school. It's programs often have such a long wait list we loose students because they run out of financial aid or time before they ever even get into their program. Professors are evermore stripped of their voices in any governance, and now often teach "canned" classes. The faculty have no control over their schedules, this is because of the need for the administration to consolidate power under their offices. The climate for faculty is VERY stratified, with everything geared toward developing and supporting the full time faculty, who make little more than 30% of the total faculty. The majority of the faculty are adjunct, part-time. Their pay is below the national average, there are no benefits, and no job-security. There are very very few and far between opportunities for advancement, and when they arise, they often go to those outside of Sinclair. Sinclair has no interest in actual education, they simply want the student dollars. They claim to have support services for students, but the creation of those has done little or nothing for the student retention or graduation rates. There are no offices for adjunct faculty, they have to meet with students in hallways, unused conference rooms, and library nooks. Departmental support for adjuncts vary, however they do not create an atmosphere that is inclusive of all. They are very stratified and treat adjuncts badly. No one actually cares about one another except in a superficial way. No one speaks  more... up for one another, they just go in, do their job, and leave. It is because they are afraid they will be under fire from the administration.
DO NOT WORK HERE IF YOU CARE ABOUT OTHERS. It is great to be left alone and make a little side money, but it is no way a secure job, nor is it a supported job. Your income is so unstable you do not know if you will have enough, or even any, work, and may not be able to pay your bills. I honestly have no idea how the people who are writing the positive reviews can sleep at night.
Pros
Some of the people are genuine, and really intersted in education
Cons
Corporate-like structure with no rewards, no job security, little support, no annual review
Awesome way to make a little extra money while going to school
Interpreter for Disability Services (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 15, 2015
I loved doing work/study here. I got to sit in on classes I wouldn't normally take for my degree and meet tons of amazing people. The work wasn't that hard and I got to learn for free while attending the classes with my charges. The staff is super nice and always made me feel welcome. I almost didn't want to graduate..
Pros
fun, reasonable pay for the work
Cons
can't continue to do it once your enrollment is over
Professor of Sociology & Technology Trainer (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 2, 2015
This organization is on to a few things. First, they are all about growing and developing internally. They do have some added benefits like reduced parking and access to a ping pong table. They are very strict about performance reviews, but the staff and faculty are extremely helpful. The only drawback is that it takes time to move up in this organization. I would highly recommend this organization to anyone who is seeking an energetic, knowledgeable, safe place to work.
Pros
reduced parking, great pay, great support staff
Cons
too much red tape to advance
Wonderful environment to work and be part of.
instructor (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJuly 31, 2015
Great, easy to communication with chairperson of psychology. Excellent facilities, very helpful staff. Both the downtown campus and various learning centers are well staffed with persons who know what they are doing. Friendly and considerate deans and managers of facilities.
Pros
Many part-time teaching opportunities
Cons
Very few full-time teaching opportunities
Most rewarding job I have had
Adjunct Instructor II (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OhioJuly 20, 2015
Sinclair is a fabulous and nationally known for their programs and being a sizable community college. I love the students and my co-workers. Seeing a student succeed is the greatest part of the job.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Productive and enjoyable atmosphere to work in.
English Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 27, 2015
Productive and enjoyable atmosphere to work in. Faculty is supportive, administration provides additional professional development, and opportunities for growth.
Productive healthy work environment
English Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 14, 2015
Instructing students in English research and composition. Lecturing for about 15 minutes, group and peer group discussions along with individual work for about 15 minutes. Writing prompts for students. Editing and grading essays along with feedback.
Two to three classes twice a week. Respond to email throughout the day and follow-up phone calls with students and co-workers.

Most enjoyable part of my day is seeing a student accomplish an assignment and the ability to articulate what they have learned.
Pros
funds for personal copyingwork related per semester.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Dayton OhioMay 26, 2015
I enjoy teaching at Sinclair. Many people to help you when you ask for help. Adjunct are at a disadvantage since they do not get the same benefits, but it is a great place to start and grow.
Adjunct Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMay 26, 2015
Adjunct Clinical Instructor in both acute and critical care settings.

The most enjoyable part of the job is developing and providing clinical education and experience to students.
Wonderful group of people to work for and with.
Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHMay 14, 2015
Set-up your dual computer screens with the tools to complete a customer call. Answer all calls with a smile throughout. Get each request completed efficiently without spending undue time on the call. Support your team with compliments, thank you's, and information as asked for.
For myself, the hardest part of this job was learning how to talk and type at the same time.
The most enjoyable part of this job was both the many customers and the team I had the privileged to work with.
Typical Day
Delivery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMay 11, 2015
I would Pickup and deliver mail/packages, sort interoffice mail; I also check in and delver packages for UPs, FedEx, and the USPS. The most enjoyable part of the job was that the teachers and staff were a joy to work with and they truly appreciate what I did for them.
Immense Opportunties for knowledge
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 28, 2015
A great place to work at, with many opportunities to learn new tasks. The management was very friendly and always was there to help in times need and distress. For the most part there was no problems with the job.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Temporary job
Great enviornment for Student Workers
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OhioApril 24, 2015
This job was a great job for a student who needed some money. We were able to work as a team to accomplish many tasks. I really enjoyed the management and the impact we had on the school.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Great Managment
Cons
Often Slow

4.4