SIU School of Medicine Employee Reviews

Good Work Environment
Clinic Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 21, 2015
A great company to work for! Always teaching me new things and everyone is open to help you advance your career! Friendly staff and they were always quick to reward employees for their hard work!
Great place of employment
Go-Live Support Consultant, Allscripts-Touchworks (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 29, 2015
I enjoyed my time here with SIU. They are so professional and care about the people as well as the patients. Great fun, great people.
It's a laid back job.
preloader (Current Employee) –  Springfield,ILAugust 19, 2015
It's a pretty easy job. I enjoy it very much transferring patients information.The only down side is it's temporary.I would recommend this job.
Great working environment
Library Clerk (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 28, 2015
As a part time employee for a few years it has deemed hard to advance into a full time position. Other than no chance at a full time position it is not a bad place to work.
Fast paced workplace with a friendly environment.
Office Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield ILJune 8, 2015
There is plenty to do at SIU with full days of calendaring, patient scheduling and conference planning. The staff for the most part is friendly. There is very little training and must be organized and self starting.
Great benefits with a set schedule
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 29, 2015
I worked in the call center and where employees were responsible for scheduling appointments for patients, paging doctors, answering and connecting phone calls and sending messages to the nursing staff.
Pros
set schedule through the week
Cons
there were a lot of gray areas in regards to the call center's protocol.
Fast pace long term senior care.
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 6, 2015
The shift would start with report exiting nurse. Initial assessment of approx 30 residents. Supervision of CNA/caregivers, med pass as scheduled and directed per physician. Treatments as directed and scheduled per physian. Then documentation . Physicians and families notified of any change of condition at all. Fast pace with family oriented setting. Good co-workers and supervisory staff.
Excellent Community Outreach Clinic
MEDICAL OFFICE ASSOCIATE, INSURANCE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 22, 2014
SIU School of Medicine has and excellent community outreach. The workplace was comfortable and management was always eager to help. The new company wide computer program system was fairly easy to access and "move around" in. Insurance benefits and Holiday pay/time-off was incredible.
Pros
Excellent insurance and paid Holiday benefits
Cons
Not enough training
Friendly and caring place to work.
Medical office specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 28, 2014
I have been in this department for almost 8 years and have learned a great deal! I have worked in the medical field all my life and thought I knew a lot of medical terminology but I found that every specialty has it's own "language". I have a great supervisor who goes above and beyond. We have a great staff that works together. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with the patients and their families. I have made many friends through those contacts. The hardest part of my job is difficult people!
Pros
We have a committee who plans fun activities at least once a quarter.
Cons
The salary and lack of raises is an issue.
fun place to work learned a lot.
Nursing Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 24, 2013
Enjoyed working at SIU was laid off do to job being discontinued, I would float between the different clinics. I would report to a clinic get my assignment, calling patients back to rooms. Set up for procedures do dressing changes or what ever the doctor would need help with. I learned that I do Not like orthopedics at all. I enjoyed the clinics that were more hands on plastics, OB/Gynecology. My boss was one of the nurse managers I worked with at the hospital she was great.
Pros
great place to work good benefits
Cons
some times the clinics would run over and i would be late for the next clinic

Want to know more about SIU School of Medicine?

Ask a question
Productive and fun workplace
Researcher, Endocrinology/ Cancer Biology (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 31, 2013
Lots of department parties, some laboratories equipped with surround sound, great people, great hours. Must be comfortable handling rodents. Learned a lot about research.
Pros
People
Diversity culture improving with new Associate Dean
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 7, 2013
Workplace Bullying being addressed in diversity workshops at a very professional and educational levels.
VERY busy, complex working environment
Licensed Practical Nurse II, Psychiatry (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 1, 2012
A typical day of work included running patients, phone calls from patients, calling in scripts, Taking care of Insurance needs, working front desk on a PRN basis. All this was for multiple Doctors and residents.
My career was enriched in the Psychology and medical areas, Increased my skills in multitasking, worked closely with Doctors to enrich the patient and Doctor relationship. Started research project with major drug Co./it was later cancled.
Management was helpful, great benefits.
My co -workers were Great to work with, still have relationships with many.
Hardest part of the job was the Volume of patient for one Nurse.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to make a difference in so many peoples lives.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
sheer volume of work for one nurse
Fun and productive work setting
Simulated Patient (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILMay 15, 2012
A typical work day consists of me simulating a case. I may have to simulate the same case more than ten plus times when I work. I learned that a great memory is the best for this position. The management here is excellent, and respectful. The hardest part of the job would be not breaking simulation. The most enjoyable part of the job would be that I'm making a salary using my memory.
Pros
free lunches, hour break
Cons
sitting still
Fun working environment
Medical records (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 12, 2012
I was in medical records, we had to pull records and deliver them to different parts of the hospitals. When they came back we had to scan them in and get them back to there right spots. I had a great group of co-workers, the manager at this job was not a team player sometimes.
Wonderful people to work with
Student Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 19, 2012
I loved SIU. I felt very welcome there. I encountered many people that made my extership a valuable experience. Nurses and Medical assistants were very helpful explaining procedures.The doctors were also very caring ang helpful. I would love to have a job here permanently but it thats a long time to get hired. I need a job.
Pros
one hour lunches
Cons
short breaks if there is even time for one
Great place to work.
Staff RN in internal medicine clinic. (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 15, 2012
I only quit this job, as I was in the process of divorce, and my husband wanted to try again to get back together. He is an MD in Tucson, AZ. This last attempt did not work out, so the divorce is now proceeding.
Pros
i liked everyone i worked with, and the facility was a beautiful place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SIU School of Medicine. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4