Skanska Employee Reviews

more work less pay
Cost Engineer (Former Employee) –  Northeast, NYJune 12, 2017
good benefits, no real advancement, expected to work long hours
without compensation, family comes last. no consideration for working single parents especially parents with sick or diasable children
no flexible working, no summer hours,
Typical day at work
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Middletown, NYJune 5, 2017
• Oversee construction and manage carpenters crew of CPV Valley.
• Interpreted all drawings and engineering for implementation.
• Procured all necessary equipment and supplies.
• Scheduled inspection and concrete pours.
• Implemented and chaired company safety program.
Decent place to work
Licensed Tug Captain (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 2, 2017
Company was fair to work with....days were long and weekends required. As a senior worker was not micro managed but allowed to give imput into how to make project run better.
No work/life balance
PROJECT ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 20, 2017
- 10 hour days, 5 days per week is considered a typical week. Most people work even when they're off work.
- Lots of training, but poor project planning.
- Management were awesome people, but did a lot of backdoor things that kept the team uninvolved.
- Coworkers were great people, really enjoyed the emphasis on being friends and caring about safety.
- Hardest part of the job is knowing that you will never complete all of your work in any given day, and keeping up with the constant changes to every aspect of the job.
- The most enjoyable part of the job is building relationships with other companies and clients.
Great company!
Senior Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJMay 17, 2017
I have enjoyed working at Skanska USA Inc. I worked with many talented and knowledgeable Subject Matter Experts on training projects that were going to be incorporated into the new employee onboarding program. I have been fortunate to be a part of the Skanska USA Inc. team for the past 1 1/2 years. I have learned a lot about the construction industry and have had the privilege of partnering with engineers. This has been a very valuable experience.
Amazing Professional Experience - Poor Work/Life Balance
Field Supervisor and Project Management roles (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 13, 2017
Skanska is full of amazing talent and has a very well structured system of project delivery. Working there will make a you a better builder and professional. You are expected to build, administrate, and manage projects 'the right way' with no short cuts. I did not appreciate the level of professionalism until I left the company and saw how business was done elsewhere.
Benefits were great and pay was relatively high. They retain their employees with 'golden handcuffs', however, they get their money out of you. Expect to work 60hr+ weeks as the norm (but that is construction anyway).
Overall culture of safety is well above norm; bordering insane (and counter productive). Field supervisors have so many safety reports to administer they hardly have enough time to actually discuss and implement safe practices in the work areas.
Upper management was mostly sales oriented.
The hardest part of the job was the moving around and long work hours. You can be relocated on a week's notice and don't expect to fully enjoy whatever city or town you land in.
Best part of the job was the level of professionalism and the people. You work with a higher class of builder there.
Pros
The people, knowledge and skills gained, pay and benefits.
Cons
work hours and relocating
Good Company
Project Engineer/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 4, 2017
Skanska has several perks that are good for anyone that would like to go into the construction industry. Like any job, the experience is based on the project team.
great
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Questa, NMApril 20, 2017
Great but power gets to some people an end up treating great employees like nothing. Sksnska really a great company work for alongs u have right people in management
Skanska Review
Project Controls Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 19, 2017
Fast Paced non stop challenging.
Multitude of accounting and forecasting skills.
Management was not organized and no one took charge.
Work Life balance was not there, you are at the mercy of the jobs needs and no way around the baseline schedule,
Buy-in from all parties to get the information that I needed to provide the best feedback for upper management.
My coworkers, the job was challenging but we made it fun as possible.
Good
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2017
Good place to work. Life/work balance is a little rough. Large expanding company with room to advance. They are heavy into environment and diversity.

Want to know more about Skanska?

Ask a question
Excellent
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2017
Excellent Multi National to work for. Experience in a wide variety of sectors with many highly rated staff. Good range of benefits, insurance and 401K coverage.
employee retention
HR Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2017
The company can improve on employee retention by offering employee benefits and also by developing each individual employee skills and knowledge to making them more effective to the company.
The job was challenging
Project Superintendent-Interiors (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCMarch 13, 2017
It was the first time I had been on a site that had 4 major superintendents with each have a specific task. Project management work extremely well with the CSA and MEP side of the project.
Pros
Safety was the number 1 and was definitely the priority.
Cons
Overlap of subcontractors work outside of the scheduled activity time
Long Hours
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 15, 2017
It is a great place to work minus the 13 hour days. There is no work/life balance and you find yourself calling work "home."
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blue Bell, PAFebruary 8, 2017
Good place to work, good people to work with
Management ok
Safe culture
Employees are great
Was fun to work there
Family atmosphere
Fast pace
Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 3, 2017
We were the first to go live JD Edwards Payroll - rough time but made it. Got to know my customers first hand. (employees)
Gained and earned respect from everyone during that conversion.

Changes came in 2003 - new mgmt. Great people, they sent me to training courses, always there to assist me with issues or questions.

Being busy, they did not micro manage you. As long as my work was accurate and complete there were no issues. We had things time to time, you learn from it.

Running weekly and biweekly payrolls - multi-task.
I really enjoyed working for Skanska. That was my home.

The most enjoyable part was the people, I consider family.
Pros
Their pay was good
Cons
For me it was the hours with the drive.
Decent
Project Management (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 1, 2017
Skanska cares about safety. The project I worked on was set up well to meet the deadline ontime and on budget. Very successful job. Skanska pay is decent but job is demanding of time.

Skanska does not seem focused on retaining employees or employee development. Bonuses are only end of job and very delayed.
Field Administrator Role
Field Administrator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 31, 2017
My role here has taken on many parts... I was exceptionally happy to be so involved with the Health & Safety portion of the project.

This project has required having every worker be drug & background screened. I needed to make sure that these have been carried out prior to a sub starting work.

My involvement with onboarding subs has included issuing contracts, entering the details into Prolog, checking pre-qualification, making sure insurance coverage meets the limits set out in the contract.
Great experience with large scale infrastructure projects
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2017
Skanska works on some of the world's most famous projects. It feels great telling others that you had a hand in those projects.
supervisor
Foreman/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  ArizonaJanuary 23, 2017
great work environment learn from the superintendent to read prints and organize work on daily bases supervise all subcontractors
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Skanska. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval