Skills Unlimited Employee Reviews

Working to help others live more independent lives
Residential Aide (Former Employee) –  Nevada, MOJuly 20, 2015
Helping residents live as independent as a life as possible in the group home. Prepping meals, helping assist with bathing, toileting, etc. Going on outings in the community and passing meds as directed and completing the necessary daily documentation.
Pros
Great Environment to be in!!!!!!
Cons
Not the best pay and no benefits
Na
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOJune 20, 2016
I enjoyed working at this company, however they do need to find a way to keep staff. It is hard to do your job with supervisors changing every five min.
workplace
Trainer/Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIDecember 8, 2014
Teaching and being around youth is my passion so walking into work everyday is a blessing. i learned a lot about patience, dealing with youth. Seeing development and getting praised for it, is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
development, being around youth
Cons
money
Poor work enviorment
Janitor/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Bohemia, NYJanuary 28, 2016
For anyone seeking training for basic maintenance, this is the place. The employees destroyed the bathrooms, but due to what I experienced, I believe I could clean up any mess now. Although this isn't a pretty environment to work in, it does give you a great learning experience
Pros
met a lot of nice people who definitly made me feel comfortable.
Cons
although it was training the pay was substancially low
Great friendships built, and work experience
Assistant House Manager/ Direct Care Personnel (Current Employee) –  Nevada, MOMarch 23, 2013
Getting individual up, making meals, cleaning rooms, running to Dr. appointments, laughs. I have learned a lot of patience. Management is very busy with scheduling Dr. appointments, filing papers, following up with the Dr., making sure meds get refilled. My co-workers are great to work with, and they will be lifelong friends. They are extremely encouraging, and so is the House Manager. The hardest part of the job is when we don't know what is wrong with a client, or losing a client/co-worker. Going to work everyday and seeing the clients, House Manager, and staff smiling or laughing.
Pros
you learn while you are teaching the individuals.
Cons
insurance is kind of expensive for what you get.
Productive and fun workplace with caring people.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 31, 2015
As I went to work everyday I would check on my inventory. I learned to work hard as possible and I will get a good outcome. The people I worked with was awesome and caring. The hardest part of the job is fighting traffic to get to work. I love to show up to work and everyone is in good spirits.
Pros
Pot lucks
Cons
Short Lunch
Fun place to work at
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOFebruary 28, 2015
Depending on the shift I worked, a typical work day would include, waking my clients up for medication, school, breakfast, dr appointments.

I've learned that no matter your disabliity everyone has a purpose and calling on their life

Depending on your manger of the house you were working at, it was easy to rely infromation to them and know things will get done & that they had your back when problems occurred.

The hardest part of the job, was it was a high turn over rate and we being working a lot of hours and not seeing my family was the hardest

the most enjoyable part of my job was my clients, and seeing them accomplish the task that might be easy to us but harder for them
Pros
you learn something new everyday
Cons
very high turn over rate
Packer at Skills Unlimited
Packer (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, NYDecember 30, 2014
I got picked up door to door. Arrived at 8 am in the morning. we had breakfast and lunch in a cafeteria. we sat at these long tables and have a small slip of paper with our name and date on it. than the floor person would hand out 5 to 7 boxes of packed or individual envelopes. we would take them out and count 12 of them. and bag them in clear plastic bags and put them back in the box for shipping. we would write our intials so they would know what department we was in. we would write how many packages were in the box on the small yellow "ticket." would do this till one o clock. we would normally start around 8:30
Pros
you can socialize while you did your work.got to make a little money.
Cons
repetitive and if you are not a fast worker you didnt make alot of money
As for clients they had great support
House Aid (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOJuly 26, 2015
For house aids we had high standards and expectations with no manager training or support we where trained by other house aids regardless of experience or time of employment with the company with little pay and no on going support in the houses it often became very difficult on what exactly our job duties where
I really truly enjoyed it.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, NYAugust 18, 2015
It was a great environment to learn how to become a chef helping those also with special needs. I was train with three other I started out in the dish room and moved up thru the process until I became a cook.
Pros
humility
The best part of my day was working with the individuals I really loved my job and could not wait to get to work
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Nevada, MOMay 29, 2013
I would go in at 11pm and pass out any meds that were due, then do a bed check and toilet everyone then would do cleaning and cooking meals for the next day. one night a week i would do the menue for the next weeks meals. I enjoyed working with my co-workers.The hardest part of the job would have to be when someone was sick . You get attached to your work really fast when you care about it and the people you work for and with
Pros
Was able to do homework during down time on overnights
Cons
Do not have any really enjoyed my job
Skills is a very respectful place to work.
ISL Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hunter, NVApril 28, 2014
Skills is one of the best places I have had the honor to work. I handled many different situation on a daily bases. I handled all aspects of hiring and dismissing of employees amdI managed 4 house managers, and 30-40 direct care staff. I gained additional knowledge in the area of completing budgets and work with others who support and assist with decision making if and when needed.
Porter Maintenance
Porter Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, NYMarch 17, 2015
On a typical day at skills unlimited, I cleaned bathrooms, hallways, kitchens , offices and cleaned the grounds and moved offices
Family feeling to company
In Home Aide (Former Employee) –  Nevada, MOAugust 14, 2014
Staff are willing to help train you quickly. Everyone works as a great team and makes sure that the client feels as comfortable as possible.
Fun and safe work place.
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  little rock, AROctober 12, 2012
I have fun at the job. everyone is very friendly and we joke around and enjoy eachothers company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Skills Unlimited. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3