SL Alabama Employee Reviews

opinion Summary
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Alexander City, ALSeptember 5, 2017
Management told lies about the hours and days all team members would be working. It was always 7 days a week 13 hours a day, had to work on holiday with no extra pay, just base pay.
Pros
good team
Cons
hours too long, never time to rest properly
No your life
Senior Purchasing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alexander City, ALMay 31, 2017
They just want you do everything without direction.
If you find any issue, you should solve that issue. If not, they will say you are lazy person. So, don't try working at SL.
Pros
Free dinner. You can work late with tasty dinner.
Cons
Everything.
Ommison checking the lights
Assy (Former Employee) –  Alexander alApril 24, 2017
The company is great it just the team leader an some of the supervisor is not fair to some the employee an I was one of Dem but I love my job but wasn't treated fair
Warehouse
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Alexander City, ALJanuary 12, 2017
If you enjoy warehousing and enjoy working long hours then this is the job for you. The checks are good and will pay your bills.
No job security
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  AlabamaDecember 2, 2016
Not a job to retire from. No chance for advancement. very low pay. To much work for one person. Management concerns only for dollars not employee well being.
Pros
many hours
Cons
low pay to much work for one person
fun place to work
Assembly Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Alexander City, ALAugust 25, 2016
the most enjoyable part to the job was meeting and training people to do something that they thought they could not do,
Everyone was so willing to help with any issues that would arise.
Pros
new ideas to make work fun
Cons
short breaks
Not a place you would want to retire at
Quality Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Alexander City, ALMarch 14, 2016
My work day starts by making contact with the 10 associates I supervise for attendance. I attend a meeting with management discussing defect issues and corrective action plans. After I walk the production flow making sure associates are following the correct production processes.
Pros
Some co workers
Cons
Pay raises and promotion opportunities
SL Alabama
MES Member (Current Employee) –  Alexander CityMay 20, 2015
I love my job but the hours are becoming too much while attending school. I also am interested in a day-shift position. My co-workers are very friendly and fun to be around. The hardest part is balancing my job with my lifestyle. I have gained a great deal of knowledge while being employed here and I am continuing to learn more each and everyday. The most enjoyable part of my job is coming to work knowing that I only work Monday through Thursday night so the week always goes by fast.
SL Alabama
Injection mold operater (Former Employee) –  AlabamaFebruary 5, 2015
In the summer its just too hot to be near the machines.Managers are ok as well as the co-workers.The most enjoyable part of the job was going on break.The hardest part of the job was going over and reviewing the counter-shift work.
plenty of work if you have good attendance
Metalizing Technician (Former Employee) –  Alexander City, ALAugust 25, 2014
nothing but work 12 hour shift 6 days a week plenty of job security Upper management can be fair at times
its a job not a career
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Alexander city ALABAMAMarch 5, 2014
Its a job that I would recomend to recent high school grades to get on there feet but its not a good career move
Productive atmosphere
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Alexander City,ALFebruary 20, 2014
Typical day at work is usually steady. Ive learned about automotive production. Managment and my co-workers are great!
The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with others(customers etc.).
Pros
affordable health&dental plans as well as life insurance benefits
sl albabma
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Alexander City, ALAugust 20, 2013
you came to work and most days you worked the same station. you had to do your job to the best of your advantage while being yelled at and treated unfairly. you were often made to things that were not your job and threatened to get fired if not done as you were told. company standards changed with notifying the operator who was then punished for misunderstandment. you were made to do your job and other operator jobs if they left the line. often I was required to the team leaders job without getting the extra pay for that job or credit. no incidents were looked at and by the end of the day you were stressed out more than you could handle but arrived the next day because even though you only got paid 9.45 per. hr. you worked 12 hrs. a day and the money was enough to pay the bills.
Pros
the money paid the bills
Cons
everything else
productive
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Alexander City, ALAugust 8, 2013
first real full time job only thing I didn't like is when they bought in new supervisor from the Tennessee plant they didn't know anything
Productive work environment
Quality Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexander City, ALJuly 23, 2013
Productive experience. Well managed company. Produced high quality product.
bad
Team Leader Preproduction (Former Employee) –  Alexander City, ALJuly 7, 2013
bad management

bad workers

hardes part was working 13 hrs a day with no breaks
No empathy for employees
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Alex City, ALMay 20, 2013
A friend of mine was just fired from Samlip for missing a couple of days of work when his best friend and roommate died unexpectedly. Classy move, Samlip.
Pros
Cons
Low pay and no appreciation
Stressful
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Alexander City, ALDecember 6, 2012
SL Alabama isn't a place for pregnant women. They're a lot harder on them, and a lot of the people are racist.
Pros
money
Cons
stress, long hours
Love the hard work and experience!
Operator/ Floater- Assistant Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Alexander City, ALNovember 12, 2012
SL Alabama as with any job has its quirks, but I loved the job I was doing. I knew all of the machines and computer programs we had to use with the machines. I was so good at what I did that I was usually the one who trained the new employees. I became a blue shirt really quickly. I ran Meiki machines 1-5, 650 # 1 and 2 which produced housings. I also operated the mirror machines. We would have to pull the lenes off the machines and inspect them. I check them for quality and I did do a good job if I say so. I have caught parts that were bad that even Quality Control missed. I helped material handle also. I kept a clean, tidy area. I broke people out and I help run one side of the molding department for my team leader. I helped with weighing the parts and doing paperwork.

Actually my favorite part of the job was helping the team leader, doing the harder laborsome jobs, and cleaning the machines. I never got sent home because my team leaders knew I would work.

The hardest part of the job would have to be when both the team leader and material handler would be out. This left me to take over as teamleader, floater and material handler.

I had a lot of friends while I was working there. Everyone said they loved my personality and I had a wonderful smile.

Whenever possible I would try to let management know if there was an issue. For example: A new lens line we were running and I was the only one running it.... the owners had already told me not to pack something so I didn't. Then I was later told by the technicians that this same problem would be okay to pack. I told them no because
  more... the owners had already told me no. When management came I explained to my supervisor why I would not pack these lenses and he spoke to the owners and they agreed with me.  less
Pros
on my own kind of work, able to do things i enjoy... paperwork, cleaning the machines... etc.helping to lead.good pay!
Cons
short breaks and seven days a week.
Molding/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Alexander City, ALJuly 9, 2012
Working at night is the hardest part of this job.
Mostly seven days a week.
Management is great.
Co-workers is ok some are better than others.