SL Start Employee Reviews

DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WADecember 4, 2017
Great place to get experience in this work field. Would love to work there again, teamwork is key when wanting to succeed in this field. Client orientated.
stressful
DSP-Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Grandview, WANovember 28, 2017
always being threatened to get fired by any wrong mistake you do, major favoritism by management to certain employees. completely unprofessional staff and main office staff. very stressful, staff working at the homes are always thrown under the bus. would not get over time pay for mandatory (mediocre) meetings management only cares if things look good on paper. work years were from late 2012-2014) really hope the place has changed so many people have come and gone because of the reasons listed above. theres much more to say....
Pros
enriching lives for the people you provide care for
Cons
view above review...
Never Again
House Manager (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDNovember 26, 2017
Poor management, poor business practices, willing to hire anyone who walks in off the street, pay is low for the hours you put in, employees quit without notice including upper management.
Clients are awesome!
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Grandview, WANovember 1, 2017
Working with the clients is rewarding, but sometimes hard. Depending on the type of clients that you have to work for. Working with the staff, is nice, as well. Some leads are extremely strict on how the house needs to look. The staff of the individuals house, are crazy about drama. This place would be #1 on drama. Management always has a select few to favor, and when you want to report it to HR headquarters, you can't.
great job training
Direct Support Professional/ Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Grandview, WAOctober 25, 2017
loved caring for individuals with special needs, never doing the same thing everyday. outings and trips and preferable shifts lack in this company. overall needed more room for advancement
Pros
feeling of doing somthing good everyday
Cons
no room for advancement
Not a good idea
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 23, 2017
They are only concerned about keeping the state contract and not the employees. It would be nice if the employees were first and not just numbers and more numbers.
not enough pay
Developmental Therapist (Former Employee) –  Sandpoint, IDSeptember 8, 2017
not enough pay or hours barley maid enough to pay my bills high stress environment just wasnt for me any more had to move on glad i did would recommend it for someone needinga little extra cash
Fun working environment
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clovis, NMJuly 12, 2017
This was a very fun and family oriented job. They are a second family. A typical work day consisted of helping clients to sign in and get them to the proper destination. After taking them and getting everything in order we would sign them out and would file their paperwork.
Fantastic culture
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDJune 3, 2017
Each day is relatively predictable. As a caregiver, I assist clients with their medications and daily routines. I truly enjoy this job because each client is so unique and it's a wonderful way to learn about working with adults with disabilities. The other staff that I work with are high energy and love their job. This creates and enjoyable environment to work in.
Pros
Wonderful coworkers, great experience
Cons
Often understaffed which requires other employees to take on longer shifts
An excellent place to gain an overview of the medical field.
Night Lead DSP (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WA 99224June 3, 2017
SL Start is both an excellent company and community. The nature of the work itself is a great alternative to working in facilities, and there are plenty of opportunities for overtime, thought 40 hour weeks are typical. You will find that this job offers a good balance between work and freedom if you are capable of properly managing your free time.
Advancement/acknowledgement
Career Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hobbs, NMMay 31, 2017
Sl Start is a fine company to work. I love the work that I do but there is no room for advancement and the compensation for the work provided is sub par.
Would not recommend!!
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Hayden, IDApril 18, 2017
The management does not work with you or listen. They don't put the clients or the staff first in anything. If there's a problem, they won't allow you into their office to work it out and lock you out. They also do not answer their phones when they're supposed to be on call to help.
Pros
The clients
Cons
Poor Management
I loved being able to assist people with their daily activities.
Support Staff/Care Giver (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDApril 6, 2017
Working in this position was extremely humbling and gratifying. I got to learn and understand more about individuals who have developmental disabilities. I made lots of new friends at work. I feel like the company really cares about the quality of life for the people they serve and their employees.
Pros
So much fun.
Cons
Individuals would sometimes become extremly psyically agressive.
very nice people to work with.
Wage Subsidy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMMarch 22, 2017
very nice people to work with and all with the common goal
of trying to help others. the hours are good. we work Monday through
Friday, weekends off, and off most holidays. everyone is very professional kind and extremely helpful to other employees.
Working with special needs adults
Community Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 3, 2017
Its a great place to grow yourself personally. Forcing you into the community and developing communication skills along with caring and advocating for adults with special needs.
Enjoyed working with people
Administrative Assistant/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 1, 2017
The job was kind of hard at first, but once you have been their awhile. It's not so bad. It was a new experience for me. I had learned everything I needed to accomplish what I needed to accomplish. It was a great work experience.
Pros
Good place to work for
Cons
Not enough breaks!
I really liked working with this company
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJanuary 4, 2017
Supervisor placed rules of what I can or cant do for client, which caused the client to have major behavior problems. He then turned it against me, at the office. I was put on call and haven't worked since. I do appreciate being laid off so I can collect unemployment again.
Pros
bennifits and overtime
Cons
no chance to move to different house. I was just laid off.
not fun at all
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Grandview, WAJanuary 3, 2017
had to put up with non work problems management sucks and does nothing to help workers or individuals out at all hardest part was knowing people were miss treated and nobody cared
Jobs!
Administrative Assistant/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 29, 2016
Most of the jobs I had dealt with people in general. Helping others and getting whatever paper work needed to be done. Above all else the company is good to work for and they do train
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Not enough hours
Its a job
Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New MexicoDecember 28, 2016
A typical day is following the supervisor around and receiving minimum instruction on job assignments with maximum quality expected. Although the majority of the duties are the same day to day, there are "crunch" times when other duties are more critical. The supervisor gives you minimum instructions and then has you redo the project several times. Often time, the reason that is given by a manager is "I didn't read the qualifications fully" but you get the blame for not completing the work properly. I have learned how to run a small office from behind the scenes which can always be beneficial. None of the management at SL Start is to brag about. There is no communication between management, support staff, corporate headquarters, or upper management. Not only are co-workers constantly trying to undermine you but management tries to undermine most employees and other management. It is like revisiting high school and clique versus clique. The majority of the employees use English as a second language so they don't bother to communicate at all and emails from across the scope of job titles and all ethnicity groups reads like a 3rd grade essay page. There are no "Thank You's" or any employee function to show appreciation. In fact, at Christmas, we were told that there would be no bonus nor any type of gift card because "This company does not owe its employees anything". That is the persistent attitude that runs through the company on a daily basis. It is frustrating to put your all into a job and see that it is underappreciated and ignored. Still, you find yourself stuck in a dead  more... end position with lackluster, morale sucking bosses.Often, if management is having a bad day, employees are reminded that the "state could pull our contract at any time and you wouldn't have a job".  less
Pros
Great salary; getting off at 5PM
Cons
Management; morale