SL Start Employee Reviews in United States

Much improved
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDApril 29, 2016
This company has grown and developed so much in the past year. Management has routine open houses to communicate with staff and solve problems, they are increasing wages and finding new and better ways to support their staff.
Pros
New positive changes, communication, culture
I am enthusiastic and have positive attitude and get along well with coworkers in my working.
Direct Support Professional(DSP) (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 19, 2016
I enjoy this job to help what people want and do what they need.
I have learned some knowledge about disabilities, and respect them and teach them to do daily living. Create good friendly relationship.
It is key to concentrate during working and get easy way to solve anything.
productive
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 14, 2015
At long horn a work day starts off by washing your hands making sure every lobby is clean and nothing is on the floor seat guest where the need to be seated and help around
Career Link Coordinator
Career Link Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 8, 2015
• Assigned appropriate job placements for New Mexico Works (NMW) participants.
• Provided comprehensive orientation to NMW participants on policies and procedures of Career Link Program.
• Provided comprehensive case management to NMW participants competing assigned activities and hours.
• Ensured NMW participants remain in compliance with all policies and procedures of Career Link Program and sent appropriate notification to Income Support Division for participants not in compliance.
• Maintained a professional attitude and appearance at all times.
• Created a positive and friendly work environment for participants, co-workers and outside resources.
helping special needs individuals
community support specialist (Former Employee) –  IDApril 8, 2015
helping them prepare to potentially live in their own in the community. assisting them with daily routine and cooking. teaching them how to manage money and shopping. taking into community for actives and appointments.
they try
Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 31, 2015
compensation does not equal amount of work
no advancement
no work & life balance
management is not balance
job culture is social work
Pros
try to do good job with developmentally disabled
Cons
compensation does not equate work
This company is horrible do your self a favor and stay away
DSP (Former Employee) –  NevadaFebruary 18, 2015
Unprofessional unsupportive will work you to death no consideration for staff very shaddy in bussiness pratices. Lack of compassion for staff and individuals.
Pros
individuals are great
Cons
management and company horrible
YWCA is very pleasant and professional place to work at.
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 12, 2015
Well theres no ping pong table. lol However an ice hockey table would be preferred.
Zeno is a wonderful person. Very Professional and helpful.
Pros
liberating atmosphere
Cons
no real promise for future full time employment
Great people, but big overhead
Community Resource Manager/Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 4, 2014
First let me start by saying I loved my job! I loved the people I worked with and the job itself; most days. Supporting people with disabilities is not easy work, but it is very rewarding!

My biggest hurtle with this company was that direct staff were getting paid so little and we had bosses for my bosses, bosses boss. The large overhead of the company could be reduced to increase pay of direct staff, thus allowing us to hire better staff and decreasing the need for the overhead. You pay people almost minimum wage and expect them to do a job that should be paying 12-15 per hour in the area I was in.
Horrible place to work
Lead Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Twin Falls, IDOctober 15, 2014
I worked for the company for almost a year and can say I'd never do it again. Upper management is horrible most haven't worked in the homes in years if at all and show favoritism. Gossiping Is out of control and they have huge turnover rates cause they'll hire anyone. They'll work you to death and they make promises they dont keep. The individuals however are awesome and it's a real shame they unfortunately suffer due to upper managements poor judgement.
Pros
the individuals
Cons
management
needs to be a serious house cleaning in upper management
direct support professional (Former Employee) –  Boise IdahoSeptember 25, 2014
the individual served are amazing people! Upper Management seems detached and unsupportive of direct support staff.
They will work you to death if you let them.there's a high level of burnout because the company is understaffed in the area of direct support.
Pros
the individual served are fantastic and it's very rewarding helping them
Cons
upper management and trainers are condescending and detached
Good job for short term
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 29, 2014
If you want to get your foot in the door in the medical field it's great
benefits
Cons
high turn over
DON'T waste your time with working here
employee (Former Employee) –  twin fallsJuly 21, 2014
Sick throwing up 8 times and passed out had to go to the er and I was told I am on probation for missing 2 days for being terribly sick. I had a doctors note and still the management wanted me to work. When I said what if the individuals that live in the homes get sick I was told oh well they will get sick out in the community anyway. They do not have a device to lift people in wheelchairs and are not double staffed at all times so you have to lift the individuals on your own from their bed to the shower out of the shower back to the bed to change out of the bed and then into their chairs.
Pros
the individuals are all amazing people
Cons
the management is terrible they are rude and self centered. everything is very unorganized
Very Unorganized
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IdahoJune 12, 2014
Terrible place. You work many hours a week, but will only get paid for some of the hours worked. You will get screwed over.
Cons
terrible benefits, management, pay, many more
Very unorganized, shows alot of favoritism, not professional at all
Community Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grandview, WAMarch 16, 2014
A typical day at work is come in communicate with the previous shift about what happen that day. Read books, make sure all paper work is started and/or finished. Tend to your clients. Cook, clean, etc. Sometimes it can be VERY unorganized in the home due to management or some employees not communicating. Some employees will lack in their duties expecting others to do it for them. Taking advantage of almost everything in that setting.
Enjoyed working with people in need of specialized services
Administration (Former Employee) –  Twin Falls, IDOctober 9, 2013
Typical day at work, extremely heavily micromanaged regardless if you have years of experience or very educated!

The hardest part of the job was internal management on the community supportive side of the program, very challenging, arrogant, manipulating and self-centered!

The co-workers, very few left with seniority?

The enjoyable part of the job; working with employees and individual's in need of specialized services. I miss them all!
Pros
no comment
Cons
extremely low paying!
m
Home care management (Former Employee) –  WashingtonAugust 20, 2013
Provides assistance to participants in the areas of personal care
Home care management
Meal planning and shopping for residence
Health maintenance and services for the residence
Provides positive behavioral support in home and at community based involvements
Interacting with parents, case managers and the public in a positive and professional manner.
Challenging but rewarding work
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Twin Falls, IDJuly 4, 2013
I started off working as a direct care staff, assisting people with developmental disabilities in their homes. I saw how the company struggled, but rather than just complain I applied for a management position to help change things around. Our branch was in need of a lot of work and being a self starter and taking the initiative is required, along with working outside normal hours.

The overall culture was good, valuing the people we support and not putting money over people.
Pros
good company values, never bored-everyday has new challenges
Cons
long work weeks at times, high rate of turn over among staff
A normal day.
Developmental Therapist (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, Idaho 83501May 18, 2013
I worked as a Developmental Therapist with different young adults who had disabilities and needed assistance performing many normal life skills.
Great place to work with a great team of people.
Community Living facilitator (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 1, 2013
I managed a case load of folks with developmental disabilities and this was very rewarding work for me. The team I worked with was stellar and each day was something new and exciting. There was a balance of good and bad with the job which made it easy to come to work each day. I loved making folks happy by being a positive role model in their lives each day!!
Pros
great folks to work with and the co. takes care of you.
Cons
difficult at times taking care of the challenges that came up.