SL Start Employee Reviews

Terrible communication, night staff sleeps at night, part time gets screwed
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAOctober 27, 2016
Supervisors were hard to get in touch with, night staff would often sleep at night rather than do their jobs, working part time with no set schedule and open availability my supervisor had me working 7 nights a week oast my scheduled time when others were late. Worked almost 60 hours a week and got no benefits due to being a part time employee. Sl start would not let me switch shifts or have nights off because they were understaffed. Great individuals to work with, but often rude and lazy staff.
Pros
Great individuals, time and a half for over time
Cons
Bad communicatuon, no benefits for part time
Workers are used, not valued.
Management (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WANovember 18, 2016
This company will use you up, chew you up, and spit you out. For salaried employees, there is no end to the amount of work expected of you. Upper management has no concern for hourly workers. Hourly employees get low pay and no respect for a tough job. The benefits are the bare minimum, and paid for by you, not the company.
Pros
Some great colleagues who are passionate about the work.
Cons
upper management has questionable ethics
Its a job
Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New MexicoDecember 28, 2016
A typical day is following the supervisor around and receiving minimum instruction on job assignments with maximum quality expected. Although the majority of the duties are the same day to day, there are "crunch" times when other duties are more critical. The supervisor gives you minimum instructions and then has you redo the project several times. Often time, the reason that is given by a manager is "I didn't read the qualifications fully" but you get the blame for not completing the work properly. I have learned how to run a small office from behind the scenes which can always be beneficial. None of the management at SL Start is to brag about. There is no communication between management, support staff, corporate headquarters, or upper management. Not only are co-workers constantly trying to undermine you but management tries to undermine most employees and other management. It is like revisiting high school and clique versus clique. The majority of the employees use English as a second language so they don't bother to communicate at all and emails from across the scope of job titles and all ethnicity groups reads like a 3rd grade essay page. There are no "Thank You's" or any employee function to show appreciation. In fact, at Christmas, we were told that there would be no bonus nor any type of gift card because "This company does not owe its employees anything". That is the persistent attitude that runs through the company on a daily basis. It is frustrating to put your all into a job and see that it is underappreciated and ignored. Still, you find yourself stuck in a dead  more... end position with lackluster, morale sucking bosses.Often, if management is having a bad day, employees are reminded that the "state could pull our contract at any time and you wouldn't have a job".  less
Pros
Great salary; getting off at 5PM
Cons
Management; morale
I really liked working with this company
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJanuary 4, 2017
Supervisor placed rules of what I can or cant do for client, which caused the client to have major behavior problems. He then turned it against me, at the office. I was put on call and haven't worked since. I do appreciate being laid off so I can collect unemployment again.
Pros
bennifits and overtime
Cons
no chance to move to different house. I was just laid off.
not fun at all
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Grandview, WAJanuary 3, 2017
had to put up with non work problems management sucks and does nothing to help workers or individuals out at all hardest part was knowing people were miss treated and nobody cared
Fun place to work
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 12, 2016
People help one another and working to help another person make their life better. Can get busy but does have it slower pace at times. Company provides guidelines and coworkers do help each other.
Pros
You are helping people who need it
Enjoyed working with people
Administrative Assistant/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 1, 2017
The job was kind of hard at first, but once you have been their awhile. It's not so bad. It was a new experience for me. I had learned everything I needed to accomplish what I needed to accomplish. It was a great work experience.
Pros
Good place to work for
Cons
Not enough breaks!
Working with special needs adults
Community Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 3, 2017
Its a great place to grow yourself personally. Forcing you into the community and developing communication skills along with caring and advocating for adults with special needs.
Jobs!
Administrative Assistant/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 29, 2016
Most of the jobs I had dealt with people in general. Helping others and getting whatever paper work needed to be done. Above all else the company is good to work for and they do train
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Not enough hours
great work place
NAR Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Grandview, WAAugust 17, 2016
A typical day at work coming in a timely manner getting clients up ready for the day.
provide personal hygiene care/ cloth clients
give medications in a timely manner per client making sure the 5 rights where given
feed client
clean
take to Dr. apt
activities on daily basis to stimulate the mind.
The hardest part of the job was when client was ill and providing extra care.
The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing a smile on a client that was disabled.
Pros
co workers are team players
Cons
short breaks
I learned about teaching customers.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 15, 2016
what I learned, your co-workers. I did alot of cooking. I did answer phones. I learned to get along with people. I did alot of excel.
Loved it
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDNovember 29, 2016
Loved it there had fun with staff and residents of I could I would work there again for better pay staff called in sick a lot...........................
Pros
Having fun
Cons
Getting atuff thrown at you
Compensation should be more
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJune 16, 2015
The compensation for the amount of work is very low. The training is poor and the supervisors lack in communication.
Co-workers lack the motivation to excell due to the lack of compensation.
Typical day of work is not very structured.
Hands on training would be more beneficial and would make for a smoother transition into being on your own.
High turnover rate because of the lack of communication, low pay, and catty coworkers.
The clients are the only real reason I enjoy working there.
Pros
The Clients
Cons
Compensation, communication within staff and supervisors.
I pride my self in being on time.
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 5, 2016
A typical day at work would be asking what I can do to make it easier for the work to be done at a timely matter. I also get along with my peers. The hardest part of the job would be getting the files in the cabinet.
Terrible Management and Fear of Losing Contract
Career Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 10, 2016
Through working with SL Start for a year now, management is not worthy of being called "management". The lack of effort shown by this employer to help the people of their community succeed and their employees to strive to become better is absolutely poor. My department underwent 5 Supervisor changes and 2 Regional Directors in one year.
Pros
Cons
Bad Management, Mistreatment, Unorganized, Chaotic
Much improved
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDApril 29, 2016
This company has grown and developed so much in the past year. Management has routine open houses to communicate with staff and solve problems, they are increasing wages and finding new and better ways to support their staff.
Pros
New positive changes, communication, culture
they try
Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 31, 2015
compensation does not equal amount of work
no advancement
no work & life balance
management is not balance
job culture is social work
Pros
try to do good job with developmentally disabled
Cons
compensation does not equate work
Very Unorganized
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IdahoJune 12, 2014
Terrible place. You work many hours a week, but will only get paid for some of the hours worked. You will get screwed over.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Terrible benefits, management, pay, many more
Career Link Coordinator
Career Link Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 8, 2015
• Assigned appropriate job placements for New Mexico Works (NMW) participants.
• Provided comprehensive orientation to NMW participants on policies and procedures of Career Link Program.
• Provided comprehensive case management to NMW participants competing assigned activities and hours.
• Ensured NMW participants remain in compliance with all policies and procedures of Career Link Program and sent appropriate notification to Income Support Division for participants not in compliance.
• Maintained a professional attitude and appearance at all times.
• Created a positive and friendly work environment for participants, co-workers and outside resources.
I am enthusiastic and have positive attitude and get along well with coworkers in my working.
Direct Support Professional(DSP) (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 19, 2016
I enjoy this job to help what people want and do what they need.
I have learned some knowledge about disabilities, and respect them and teach them to do daily living. Create good friendly relationship.
It is key to concentrate during working and get easy way to solve anything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SL Start. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7