SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory Employee Reviews

Work with excellent scientific minds and ego driven management.
LCLS Floor Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CANovember 1, 2016
Used to be a great place to work and be immersed in pure science. The lab is compartmentalized into fiefdoms which are all different from each other. The best-funded division is LCLS and has a lot of potential.
Pros
Great retirement plan and heath insurance.
Why most people stay for decades, but young families are moving on
Safety Systems Engineering & Project Management (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAAugust 8, 2016
SLAC is a wonderful place to work. SLAC is a DOE laboratory operated by Stanford University, meaning employees get the perks of being Stanford staff and can also enjoy being part of the global accelerator community.

Employees generally stay around for many years, even decades, since they love the work, publishing papers, and attending international conferences. Operating an accelerator 24-7 creates a job culture where people want to work long hours and often don't notice they're working late when they're working together to setup the beam for an experiment.

However, affordable housing and childcare is difficult to find in the area, pushing more young families to commute long distances or move on to other laboratories. The waiting lists for infant care often exceeds a year and long commutes put a substantial strain on the work-life balance.
Pros
World class engineering and science, many opportunities to learn
Cons
Poor work-life balance for young families
smart people
Physicist (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CASeptember 29, 2015
number of smart people to work with; enjoy the work, but budget is unstable; origination changed frequently; in-consistent management;
people are busy, don't have much time to chat.
Great work place with supportive and caring coworkers.
Accounts Payable Intern (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CASeptember 25, 2015
Great place to be exposed to desk work and business work. It is also a great place to get exposed to the financial part of a company.
Pros
Free access to the gym, Free shuttle service
Exciting organization to work
Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Great opportunity to work with a wide range of employees in developing new horizons in science provide profession growth and life balance.
Workplace is very welcoming.
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAFebruary 1, 2015
Stanford University is a beautiful place to work. Benefits are excellent. The company is very diverse and it was enjoyable working with other people from around the globe.
Benefits
Cons
Promoting within
Fun workplace, helpful people and efficient management
Staff Scientist (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAJune 27, 2014
My typical day at work includes both office work ad experimental hands-ons. Learned a lot during my past four years here and enjoyed it! People are in general easy-going, proficient, and helpful here. The hardest part of my job is the flexible and sometimes unpredictable work hours.
We have a big gym which include basket ball court, badminton court, weight benches, and trealmill. We can acccess 24/7 with our badges.
S&E Associate Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAAugust 16, 2013
It is a good environment to come to work everyday. I've learned new things which the physicists had discovered during their experiences such as new atoms. My co-workers are very friendly. We have gone out for lunch and talked about our social life. We have had a big gym in the lab. We can sign up for exercise classes or do on our own time during break, lunch, or after work. The hard part of the job is the funding from the government. If the DOE will not give us enough funding there will be some laid off. Over all, it is a nice place to work.
Pros
It's have a good excellent benifit package.
Cons
Our jobs are depending on the government funding.
It was very interesting and complicate work
Electronics Engineer (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 13, 2013
It were many interesting projects. The team work was very fruitful, people were friendly and supportive.
It was good time!
Intellectually stimulating place
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAApril 3, 2012
I Enjoyed working there; people are nice and mostly cooperative. It has a decent benefits package. Commute to work is not difficult. For most of the positions, hours are flexible.
Pros
you get stanford university benefits
Cons
job security depends on federal funding

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4